• Please log in to reply
865 replies to this topic

#351 JDo

JDo

• 48 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 23:35

Another:

Posted Image

In hindsight they should have gone for blue AstroTurf to give a greater US feel. Although, the whole Stars and Stripes paint that I think AustinF1 (maybe) discussed should take care of it. It's looking great and can't wait!!!

Advertisement

#352 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 23:40

It might be that the astroturf has to be mandatory green (to look like real grass)? I like the looks of it anyway, I prefer the red to the blue from other circuits.

#353 hansmann

hansmann

• 260 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49

Hmm, I find the red very distracting, it really dominates the scenery ; this might not work too well on TV .
We'll see at the race, otherwise I'm very much looking forward to it, seems like a great track so far .

#354 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:15

On the other hand, that corner looks awesome. Elevation changes just were it counts :up:

#355 darkkis

darkkis

• 815 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 15:04

I might be imagening but the track seems very narrow at some parts... Overtaking might be hard. :confused:

#356 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 17:30

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#357 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 609 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:05

I might be imagening but the track seems very narrow at some parts... Overtaking might be hard. :confused:

Thanks for those shots AustinF1. They explain it. Plenty wide, and plenty of passing zones.

#358 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:43

Just got interesting news re: USGP hotels. Apparently Circuit of the Americas' room-blocking contract for ~40K rooms is about to expire or has expired. Might lead to thousands of Austin area hotel rooms being released to the market at much more affordable prices.

#359 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:53

Just got some new photos atop Turn 1:

https://www.facebook...5...4878&type=1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#360 baddog

baddog

• 23,449 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 20:59

That first photo is mad, hard to believe F1 cars are going to be coming over that crest at racing speeds. I guess fom will have lots of cameras up there!

#361 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 21:28

Just got interesting news re: USGP hotels. Apparently Circuit of the Americas' room-blocking contract for ~40K rooms is about to expire or has expired. Might lead to thousands of Austin area hotel rooms being released to the market at much more affordable prices.

Also, Vance just found this...SnoozeBox working a deal for 2012 F1 USGP? I know the perfect spot!

http://www.bloomberg...Egqtkd.75s.html

"Agreement has been reached in principle with a US entity for the provision of 240 rooms for an events tour starting with the US Formula 1 Grand Prix in Austin, Texas in mid November 2012 and finishing with the Superbowl contest inFebruary 2013. We are working 'round the clock' to identify and be able to satisfy any additional US regulatory requirements and make the necessary shipping arrangements to ensure that the units arrive in Austin on time and with the necessary operating licenses."

Edited by AustinF1, 11 October 2012 - 22:25.

#362 dhill39

dhill39

• 423 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 23:11

The circuit is taking shape,it looks great,can't wait for the race.

#363 loki

loki

• 2,029 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 23:58

It's just how the camera shots look. Check out the first pic in post 357. The vehicle in the background is a full sized American pickup truck. Much larger than an F1 car. Same with the pic of the guy painting the red line on the track. When the cars hit the track there will be more of a sense of scale.

OT: Got email today about V8 Supercars next May. The prices are pretty reasonable. I may go to that one.

#364 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,749 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:25

The elevation changes are just awesome. The pic from the top of T1 towards pits really showed how steep the hill is. Looks oh-so-promising.

#365 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:32

Posted Image

Posted Image

#366 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:33

35 days til FP1.

Here are some shots from a new photo album I shot early this morning. :

https://www.facebook...5...4878&type=1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's what used to be Kellam Rd. Glad I don't have to drive it:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#367 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,905 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:38

Slightly on topic, but what is it with every new track having some ridiculously long straight? Are they all in competition to build the longest straight possible? Sometimes I wonder, as they seem to get longer with each new track, if 1 day we'll end up with a circuit that's nothing more than a long straight.

#368 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:55

A few more:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a Girl!

But seriously, I took this photo to show the run up to Turn 9, as you can see between Turn 10 on the left and the Mystery Tower:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by AustinF1, 12 October 2012 - 21:58.

#369 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 22:07

@AustinF1, great photos :up: Thanks

#370 Funkyskunk2

Funkyskunk2

• 49 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 22:40

Slightly on topic, but what is it with every new track having some ridiculously long straight? Are they all in competition to build the longest straight possible? Sometimes I wonder, as they seem to get longer with each new track, if 1 day we'll end up with a circuit that's nothing more than a long straight.

Straight makes drs passing a cinch.

They are limited to making each straight 1 km I believe. Austin has maxed this out.

And those pictures are fantastic!

#371 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 23:01

Straight makes drs passing a cinch.

They are limited to making each straight 1 km I believe. Austin has maxed this out.

And those pictures are fantastic!

@AustinF1, great photos Thanks

Thanks guys!

I think the back straight is ~0.72 mile long.

#372 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:36

Important ticket info just released:

http://us2.campaign-...mp;e=0b18e4db26

Ticket Delivery
Tickets will be shipped on October 22, 2012 via FedEx 2-Day Express Mail.
If your address is a P.O. BOX it will be sent to you via USPS Priority mail.
The tickets will be mailed by FedEx for your convenience. Your signature will not be required to receive the tickets.
In the event that your address on file has changed or is incorrect, your tickets will not be mailed at the date above and will be sent out at a later date.
Please contact us directly at 512-301-6600 to make any necessary changes to your contact information.
Will Call
If you prefer to pick up your tickets in Austin the week of the race, we will be making your tickets available at our Will Call pickup area in our downtown Austin office beginning Monday, November 12, 2012.

Our office is located at 301 Congress Avenue Suite 210, Austin, TX 78701.

Our pickup hours begin Monday, November 12, and are as follows:
Monday–Wednesday from 10 A.M. to 6 P.M.
Thursday–Friday from 10 A.M. to 8 P.M.
Saturday from 10 A.M. to 6 P.M.
Sunday: Any remaining Will Call tickets not picked up by Sunday will be at the Grand Plaza Ticket Booth at Circuit of The Americas.
Please keep in mind that failure to pick up your tickets before Sunday means that you WILL NOT have access to the complimentary shuttle and transportation to the circuit must be made on your own accord.

A photo ID will be required to pick up your tickets.

Only the person whose name the account is under will be able to pick up the tickets.

You will have the entire business week of the race (Monday through Saturday) to pick up your tickets and/or parking passes.

PLEASE REPLY ASAP IF YOU PREFER YOUR TICKETS BE AT WILL CALL.

Complimentary Shuttle
Shuttle location is at the Travis County Expo Center: 7311 Decker Ln.
For those who have not purchased on-site parking, please keep in mind that you will receive a complimentary shuttle to and from the circuit with your tickets. The tickets must be in your possession in advance to gain admittance to the shuttle and circuit.
No pedestrians or bicyclists, with or without a ticket, or vehicles without the proper credentials will be admitted into the circuit.
Please refer to our website for any questions.

Thank you again for your cooperation and interest in the FORMULA 1™ UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX. We look forward to seeing you in November.

Sincerely,

COTA Ticket Office

#373 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 978 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:43

1 day we'll end up with a circuit that's nothing more than a long straight.

Let's go back to AVUS, that's about as close as we can get to that! :p

#374 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 424 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 00:45

Thanks for the heads up, wondering when we would have ticket info! What stand are you in (I'm in T4)? Love to say hi to a fellow forumer. Can't wait for this one!

#375 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 14:41

Moto GP & Aussie V8s tickets on sale now:

http://us2.campaign-...mp;e=0b18e4db26

Like I mentioned a while back, the V8s will be running the abbreviated version of the COTA circuit:

Posted Image

#376 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 23:42

New COTA aerial photo:

Posted Image

#377 loki

loki

• 2,029 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:57

LOL. We already have that over here. It's called drag racing. :drunk:

http://www.nhra.com/

#378 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:14

New COTA aerial photo:

Posted Image

Just a heads up, I don't know whether it's just me but these photos you keep posting aren't showing up at all. I think you should rehost them to imgur.com or something before posting on here.

#379 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:24

They work fine for me

Advertisement

#380 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:29

Me too.

#381 FredrikB

FredrikB

• 573 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:58

Works for me too. Great to se them btw :up:

#382 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,131 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:12

Good article about food and drink at the race:

http://www.statesman...at-circu/nSdr4/

East Side King and Chi'lantro food trucks are awesome. And unless they jack up their prices, very reasonably priced, too.

http://eskaustin.com/libertybar/

http://www.chilantrobbq.com/

Hopefully they will also be serving beers from the Texas small brewers, like Saint Arnold and Real Ale.

#383 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 902 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:12

Good article about food and drink at the race:

http://www.statesman...at-circu/nSdr4/

East Side King and Chi'lantro food trucks are awesome. And unless they jack up their prices, very reasonably priced, too.

http://eskaustin.com/libertybar/

http://www.chilantrobbq.com/

Hopefully they will also be serving beers from the Texas small brewers, like Saint Arnold and Real Ale.

Ooh. Mr. Gatti's Pizza. I guess it is a tiny step above Pizza Hut. It makes sense, because I doubt the places in town that actually make good pizza could turn the volume needed.

I wonder if East Side King is going to clean their trailer before they get out to the track. The food is so good, but the kitchen is a black cesspool of burnt-on grease, especially at The Grackle location.

#384 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:28

Ooh. Mr. Gatti's Pizza. I guess it is a tiny step above Pizza Hut. It makes sense, because I doubt the places in town that actually make good pizza could turn the volume needed.

I wonder if East Side King is going to clean their trailer before they get out to the track. The food is so good, but the kitchen is a black cesspool of burnt-on grease, especially at The Grackle location.

Yeah, Mr. Gatti's started in Austin & used to be incredibly good. Now it's just "meh", but I'm sure this list has a lot more to do with business ties to the Statesman than actual quality. Back in 7th grade (late 70s) my friends and I would always go to the original Mr. Gatti's after football games and "hang out". It was a completely different type of building then, with partitioned booths and multiple levels.

#385 nada12

nada12

• 458 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:33

I'm interested to see how this plays out, but for a sport that's trying to grow it's casual viewer base in the US it's IMO pretty silly to pit it against the NFL on a football sunday.

#386 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:36

Glad to hear those pics are visible...Here's another.

Main straight at night:

Posted Image

#387 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,753 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:44

I'm interested to see how this plays out, but for a sport that's trying to grow it's casual viewer base in the US it's IMO pretty silly to pit it against the NFL on a football sunday.

Also, the final race of the NASCAR season will be on at the exact same time. Still I don't know how flexible the date choices were. When it was originally talked about being in June everyone from Texas said that was terrible because of the heat. I am just glad they have a date and a race in the USA.

#388 nada12

nada12

• 458 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:53

Also, the final race of the NASCAR season will be on at the exact same time. Still I don't know how flexible the date choices were. When it was originally talked about being in June everyone from Texas said that was terrible because of the heat. I am just glad they have a date and a race in the USA.

NASCAR too? Ouch..

#389 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:57

NASCAR too? Ouch..

Whoa, and the last race of the season, presumably the title-deciding race?

Honestly it will make a serious difference in viewership figures how close the title race is heading into Homestead.

#390 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 424 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 14:07

Keep in mind that the F1 calendar has to accommodate all the other FIA championships. It's not open for whenever. Just bad luck is all.

#391 Silverknight

Silverknight

• 24 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 14:10

Agree

#392 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 14:12

Yeh that's not ideal.

However the NASCAR race will certainly run longer than the F1 race, so we'll still be able to catch both.
Homestead should run at night, ideally.

#393 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 16:20

No big deal, but I expected Austin to do better with the free concerts... Collective Soul? meh.. welcome to 1995.

#394 Snic

Snic

• 565 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 16:32

Glad to hear those pics are visible...Here's another.

Main straight at night:

This track looks like it will be mega fun to drive! Glad all the political talk has died down on here as of late :)

Any night-time endurance races booked to run on this track? Have COTA decided what they'll use the track for during the rest of the year, open for public track days?

#395 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,512 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 21:01

Rather coincidentally the Guardian gives us an Austin city guide today: http://www.guardian....stin-city-guide

#396 FerrariFanInTexas

FerrariFanInTexas

• 1,131 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 21:04

No big deal, but I expected Austin to do better with the free concerts... Collective Soul? meh.. welcome to 1995.

I did not see an article about Collective Soul (although I have no objection to seeing them). This article identifies some good local bands:

http://www.statesman...own-duri/nSftD/

All three acts listed are excellent shows.

#397 Obster

Obster

• 93 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 21:10

Thanks for all the great photos during the construction phase. It is incredible that this level of a facility is constructed in such a short period of time, and now exists.
Mind blowing.

#398 Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

• 902 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 23:50

I did not see an article about Collective Soul (although I have no objection to seeing them). This article identifies some good local bands:

http://www.statesman...own-duri/nSftD/

All three acts listed are excellent shows.

http://www.racer.com...article/263959/

#399 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:28

Statesman: One month till Austin’s F1 race and still much to do at Circuit of the Americas

http://www.statesman...uch-to-d/nSgH3/

Advertisement

#400 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 1,496 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:38

We got some phone photos (admittedly low resolution, but some good views) from on-site at COTA today:

https://www.facebook...6...e=1

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image