Photo

2012 Belgian Grand Prix - Practice & Qualifying

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#101 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,736 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:51

The forecast locally is cool but dry for Saturday - at the moment.

Advertisement

#102 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,640 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:54

That's me! ;) I'm getting round to it, I'm making sure I get my university choices and stuff sorted first, then I'll focus on finding a job.

That's the same excuse my son has been using. :p

#103 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:06

BE could cut his fees, and let teams to spend it on testing, because on weekends like this one life is just passing you by, wasted.

#104 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,640 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:12

BE could cut his fees, and let teams to spend it on testing, because on weekends like this one life is just passing you by, wasted.

The teams don't pay him any fees.

It's the fans trackside that suffer. They are the ones who have paid to be there, but don't get their monies worth.

#105 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:19

Pastor going out... ohhh :p

#106 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 216 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:23

What did Ricciardo show on the back of his helmet?
Was it the Perth skyline/'There's blood in the water' or something else? I just missed it.

#107 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,492 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:29

Was it the Perth skyline/'There's blood in the water' or something else? I just missed it.

yeah it's a line from or the title of a song by parkway drive, aus metal band.

#108 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:45

Tomorrow there will be a lot of stress for the teams Marc Gené said on Nitro......

#109 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:47

Exciting.

#110 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 216 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:47

yeah it's a line from or the title of a song by parkway drive, aus metal band.

Thanks, yes I'm aware, I've seen them live 11 times ;)

#111 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:53

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1
Michael Schumacher has been summoned to see the stewards relating to pit lane entry incident in FP2

#112 TheWilliamzer

TheWilliamzer

• 689 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 13:55

Pic :up: :p

#113 sock22

sock22

• 406 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:00

Marussia go one better than their second place in FP3 at Japan 2010 :lol:

#114 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,492 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:06

Thanks, yes I'm aware, I've seen them live 11 times ;)

:lol: I wouldn't have known personally, just heard him mention it awhile back

#115 Wander

Wander

• 2,284 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:12

This should make the free practice championship more exciting.

#116 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:13

It's the fans trackside that suffer. They are the ones who have paid to be there, but don't get their monies worth.

As usually, you are reading it "your way". Try mine for a change. Testing was cut due to its cost. If BE would lower his dividends, and money went to team budgets with testing allocation instead, they could test slightly more outside of FP(s). FP is supposed to supplement computer simulations. Well, it was wasted today, just as many other weekends. Quality of the races ahead will be consequently adversely affected, and race fans reduced to seeing sick cars trying to finish a race on Sunday in some dignified manner, instead having healthy thoroughbreds go at it.

It's all actually not too complicated if one takes time to think it through. Fans at the track have a choice, TV screen, or take up a wet seat by the road. Teams are just deprived of an opportunity to further develop their car, with no alternatives in sight.

#117 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:35

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1
Michael Schumacher has been summoned to see the stewards relating to pit lane entry incident in FP2

There is nothing about it on FiA site. Two Australians on the panel? FiA's sense for being fair, balanced and even-handed never stops amaze me.

Edited by Sakae, 31 August 2012 - 14:39.

#118 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,628 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:37

He's a Parkway Drive fan?

Thats awesome. Great band.

As usually, you are reading it "your way". Try mine for a change. Testing was cut due to its cost. If BE would lower his dividends, and money went to team budgets with testing allocation instead, they could test slightly more outside of FP(s). FP is supposed to supplement computer simulations. Well, it was wasted today, just as many other weekends. Quality of the races ahead will be consequently adversely affected, and race fans reduced to seeing sick cars trying to finish a race on Sunday in some dignified manner, instead having healthy thoroughbreds go at it.

It's all actually not too complicated if one takes time to think it through. Fans at the track have a choice, TV screen, or take up a wet seat by the road. Teams are just deprived of an opportunity to further develop their car, with no alternatives in sight.

This is a desperate save post.

Also the bolded part is really overdramatic.

Edited by Seanspeed, 31 August 2012 - 14:39.

#119 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:41

Dramatic or not, season is twelve races old, and cars are not ready to race at the baseline we use to get in first two or three races. There is not much I can add to it. Seems pretty self-explanatory to me. (While paying full entry fee).

Edited by Sakae, 31 August 2012 - 14:44.

Advertisement

#120 Wander

Wander

• 2,284 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:46

Dramatic or not, season is twelve races old, and cars are not ready to race at the baseline we use to get in first two or three races. There is not much I can add to it. Seems pretty self-explanatory to me. (While paying full entry fee).

Uh, no. Not for me.

Edited by Wander, 31 August 2012 - 14:47.

#121 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,628 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:47

Dramatic or not, season is twelve races old, and cars are not ready to race at the baseline we use to get in first two or three races.

Its not self-explanatory at all. In fact, I have no idea what this sentence even means. I respect that English isn't your 1st language, but dont go pointing fingers at others when you're not making yourself clear.

#122 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,534 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:47

There is nothing about it on FiA site. Two Australians on the panel? FiA's sense for being fair, balanced and even-handed never stops amaze me.

Why would two Australians being on the panel mean anything?

#123 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:50

They're the most racist of all nationalities, didn't you hear?

#124 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:58

ah we arrived at the end of FP1 and it was so bad, we hung around to meet some forum friends and then took off for good... soaked to the core ... let's hope tmr and sunday will not be like today's...

#125 robefc

robefc

• 8,091 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:02

This

I respect teams not wanting to go out in FP when they are not going to learn anything but sport is only allowed to exist because it's entertainment, every non professional sports participant has to pay for the privilege of playing not the other way round.

So don't charge people for an event that then does not go ahead like free practice, Friday at silverstone really p1ssed me off, they have to find a solution.

#126 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:21

This

I respect teams not wanting to go out in FP when they are not going to learn anything but sport is only allowed to exist because it's entertainment, every non professional sports participant has to pay for the privilege of playing not the other way round.

So don't charge people for an event that then does not go ahead like free practice, Friday at silverstone really p1ssed me off, they have to find a solution.

Solution - Don't buy Tickets for Malaysia, Hockenheim, silverstone and Spa.... :)

#127 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:28

It just means that on the panel at Spa is one Australian too many. Nothing else.

#128 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,503 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:45

It is quite clear from today's 2 sessions that the Marussia is the fastest car at the moment, and that the Ferrari will struggle to beat it, but I have no doubt that Alonso will overcome this severe disadvantage, and by an effort of will, overcome the obstacle in his path...

#129 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,503 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 15:47

They're the most racist of all nationalities, didn't you hear?

Only against the British, and in particular the county of Yorkshire, which won more Olympic Gold medals than the whole Australian team...

#130 anti

anti

• 408 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:17

Practice 1: :: Sector times :: Lap Chart
Practice 2: :: Sector times :: Lap Chart

#131 Wander

Wander

• 2,284 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:18

Very interesting charts.

Wait, no they're not.

#132 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:18

It just means that on the panel at Spa is one Australian too many. Nothing else.

Two Australians are a problem because...?

#133 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:28

Two Australians are a problem because...?

For similar reasons that we do not have anymore all white male representation only on all jury panels.

#134 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:53

One can only hope that the white male stewards don't pre-judge the white male Schumacher as harshly as you do them.

#135 CaptnMark

CaptnMark

• 1,015 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 16:54

this is why I chose monza this year..

Good luck for next week. Google shows 3 days of rain this weekend.

#136 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:03

One can only hope that the white male stewards don't pre-judge the white male Schumacher as harshly as you do them.

:confused:
I am lost over your post. Multirepresentation in international events is quite a normal thing, so I thought. What has Schumacher to do with it I can't fantom out.

#137 robefc

robefc

• 8,091 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:05

Solution - Don't buy Tickets for Malaysia, Hockenheim, silverstone and Spa.... :)

:lol:

#138 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,534 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:25

:confused:
I am lost over your post. Multirepresentation in international events is quite a normal thing, so I thought. What has Schumacher to do with it I can't fantom out.

But why would two Australians be a problem for Schumi? I think you must be assuming Aussies having something against Germans, which doesn't make any sense.

#139 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:30

FP1 & FP2: this is why I sit in amazed wonder when people get excited about the fact that it is raining. SC's, delays, offs, this stuff is not racing and it is not entertaining either. Are there really so few who find the most joy in the speed of a machine and actual competition as opposed to crashes? I know they are highlighted and discussed ad naseum by the commentators, so apparently offs and crashes and so forth are widely enjoyed. Not by me though.

Anyway, here is to hoping for a sunny race weekend the rest of the way. :up:

Advertisement

#140 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:34

But why would two Australians be a problem for Schumi? I think you must be assuming Aussies having something against Germans, which doesn't make any sense.

Within context of past several posts, I have never mention Schumacher once in relationship to this panel of stewards. It was a moderator who raised Schumacher name, and made it unnecessarily personal issue out of it. I am for multinational representation and balanced judging for all drivers, not just one specific. That sounds reasonable request to me, and two judges from the same country is perhaps not it. (That would be valid for any country).

#141 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,492 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:39

it's a fair enough point.

#142 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,492 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:41

Good luck for next week. Google shows 3 days of rain this weekend.

hehe we are in spa this wkend, next wkend in milan is fine (fingers crossed does not change)

#143 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,534 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:49

Within context of past several posts, I have never mention Schumacher once in relationship to this panel of stewards. It was a moderator who raised Schumacher name, and made it unnecessarily personal issue out of it. I am for multinational representation and balanced judging for all drivers, not just one specific. That sounds reasonable request to me, and two judges from the same country is perhaps not it. (That would be valid for any country).

Hmm, well you replied to the twitter post about Schumi being called to the stewards with that statement about two Australians, no Mods involved that I can see.

Your are making an interesting general point about composition. Personally I don't think that nationality should matter at all to the composition of the panel, this is not the Olympics it is motor racing and these are people who are there for their knowledge.

And I'm sure Schumi doesn't give a heck that two Australians were on this panel! Lots of Schumi love down under after all.

Edited by goingthedistance, 31 August 2012 - 17:51.

#144 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 2,007 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:12

If it keeps raining, I'm expecting a repeat of the safety car farce at Korea. It's a shame the rules don't allow the cars to be set up properly for wet weather conditions.

#145 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,968 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:17

If it keeps raining, I'm expecting a repeat of the safety car farce at Korea. It's a shame the rules don't allow the cars to be set up properly for wet weather conditions.

There's very little chance of rain on either of the remaining 2 days.

#146 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:30

ah we arrived at the end of FP1 and it was so bad, we hung around to meet some forum friends and then took off for good... soaked to the core ... let's hope tmr and sunday will not be like today's...

We arrived in the middle of FP1, saw Kimi and Grosjean driving away from pit several times, saw also their teststarts.
Waited then for the FP2, left after 30 minutes of zero action, wet clothes and heavy, neverending rain...
My first F1 live, so I loved it anyway :) Just don't want to get sick...

#147 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:33

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102106 Mark Webber gets gearbox change grid penalty

#148 Massa

Massa

• 4,401 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:34

Perfect for Alonso...

#149 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:35

Perfect for Alonso...

:up: yes! Not bad!

#150 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 18:39

Hmm, well you replied to the twitter post about Schumi being called to the stewards with that statement about two Australians, no Mods involved that I can see.

Your are making an interesting general point about composition. Personally I don't think that nationality should matter at all to the composition of the panel, this is not the Olympics it is motor racing and these are people who are there for their knowledge.

And I'm sure Schumi doesn't give a heck that two Australians were on this panel! Lots of Schumi love down under after all.

Maybe he doesn't, but that's was not a point I have tried to make without dragging a specific driver into this. I see no harm to make incremental improvements across all activities, striving for fairness, and even handed judgments that are free of nationalistic undertones. Perception of bias, true or false, is not serving well to anyone, and could be avoided with just little thoughtful preplanning.