Photo

Who are the Moderators?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 456 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 13:19

I may have missed something over the years but I assumed the TNF was owned and run by Autosport magazine and that the moderators were staff members. I now assume not. Can someone tell me who the moderators are?
Thanks

Advertisement

#2 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,205 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:25

I would say they are unpaid volunteers who put up with a lot of stick to give us a forum, that increases our knowledge and circle of friends with in a sport we love. It's a thankless task, done at the end of working for a living, when you'd probably much rather curl up on the sofa with a beer and a good film. I personally thank them, they don't always get it right, but 99% of the time they do.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,431 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:29

Contrary to what you have assumed, the mods are not Autosport staff members - as Steve says, they're volunteers. They're not paid, either.

Offered in good faith - some extracts from the "RC House Rules" which, by extension, also apply in TNF:

You are always welcome however, to inquire why a post was deleted or edited if you don't understand it yourself. If you do not know which admin edited or deleted your post, you should contact any of us to enquire, we will respond with a reason.

Under no circumstances are you to start a discussion about it in the forum or thread itself. Firstly, it serves no purpose as no admin will respond to you publicly. Secondly, it merely instigates pointless arguments over how this BB should be run. 'how this BB should be run' is not open for debate. You can ALWAYS make suggestions (and we have a fairly good track record at listening to those who made reasonable complaints or suggestions directly) but you cannot demand, nor publicly challenge the way this place is run.

* Reference to the hosts. ALL admins on the BB are to be treated with respect. That is pure and simple. They are a bunch of GOOD people, with the best of intentions regardless of what you think, who really put in hours a day (and in some cases for a very long time now) on top of full time jobs, to serve YOU. And by saying SERVE YOU we do not mean they are your servants. Please learn to differentiate between the two.

If, however, an administrator is in your views out of line, then you are perfectly welcome to complain. But you do it in PRIVATE and reasonably. We will handle it through our channels, not yours.

... know that you can always - ALWAYS - contact by PM or e-mail one of the hosts and offer advice, feedback, criticism or just make an inquiry.

http://forums.autosp...=...mp;f=2&id=3

All the moderators are listed on the Forums Home Page: http://forums.autosp...dex.php?act=idx

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,922 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:20

I'll echo what's been said above because it's not said often enough. We've been lucky to only have two moderators since TNF began which has given us good continuity and I'm very grateful to both for managing the forum so well. 13 years now and TNF is still recognisable. Look at any other forums that have been around for even half that time and you'll see what an achievement that is. Most of it is because we are such decent people ( :) ) but a lot of credit must go to the mods.

Admins are different to moderators by the way. Admins do the techie stuff in the background and would presumably be Autosport staff.

Since Twin Window took over, the forum has become much much bigger and it's not possible for anyone to monitor every thread real time as Don Capps used to be able to do. Also, Twinny allows us a longer leash than Don did and I think that works well most of the time. Occasionally something is allowed to run longer that it should but I think it would be hard to get the balance any better than he does.

And occasionally Twinnie has to lay down the law. When he does, I believe most people here support him but it's typically an affronted minority that are the most vocal about having their "fun" spoilt. I'd suggest they take their "fun" threads to Racing Comments instead.

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,113 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:29

I'll echo what's been said above because it's not said often enough. We've been lucky to only have two moderators since TNF began which has given us good continuity and I'm very grateful to both for managing the forum so well. 13 years now and TNF is still recognisable. Look at any other forums that have been around for even half that time and you'll see what an achievement that is. Most of it is because we are such decent people ( :) ) but a lot of credit must go to the mods.

Admins are different to moderators by the way. Admins do the techie stuff in the background and would presumably be Autosport staff.

Since Twin Window took over, the forum has become much much bigger and it's not possible for anyone to monitor every thread real time as Don Capps used to be able to do. Also, Twinny allows us a longer leash than Don did and I think that works well most of the time. Occasionally something is allowed to run longer that it should but I think it would be hard to get the balance any better than he does.

And occasionally Twinnie has to lay down the law. When he does, I believe most people here support him but it's typically an affronted minority that are the most vocal about having their "fun" spoilt. I'd suggest they take their "fun" threads to Racing Comments instead.

+1

#6 PCC

PCC

• 484 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:46

It's a thankless task...

I'm afraid you're probably right. There's no shortage of complaints when something controversial happens - I'm not saying the complaints are always groundless, but how many of us take a moment when everything is going smoothly (which is almost all the time) and e-mail a moderator to say "thanks for working so hard to ensure that everything runs smoothly"?

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,639 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:49

I also endorse what's been said so far, especially by Steve and Allen. Autosport doesn't have to provide us with TNF - I doubt they get much return from us. Twinny (and the other mods) don't have to do what they do, but the BB couldn't function without them. If TNF were to be lost to us for any reason my life would be significantly poorer - there's nowhere else quite like it on the net. The unpleasantness of the last couple of days leaves a bad taste in all our mouths and gives Autosport a bloody good excuse for knocking TNF on the head. I do hope we can now return to our usual polite and civilised debate.

#8 RStock

RStock

• 1,342 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 16:27

Well said! How dare someone try to have fun here.

TNF - The No Fun zone.

#9 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 456 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 16:42

I wasn't being critical, just given the recent expulsion, I just wondered who the Mods were. I am actually a Mod on two forums but my name is clearly shown as a Mod on the forum deails.

#10 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,799 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 16:44

:up:

#11 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,412 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 16:55

I wasn't being critical, just given the recent expulsion

Who and why? (I'm always the last to know :rolleyes: )

On topic, I think this forum is very evenhandedly moderated...well done to TW.

Jack

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 16:59

Just so everyone knows, there has NOT been any 'expulsion'!

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,431 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 17:33

Well said! How dare someone try to have fun here.

TNF - The No Fun zone.

I think that's a little unfair, Robby.

The issue - as I perceive it - is that some people seem to find it necesary to post in threads where they should not and when a little bit of "self-moderation" would be in order. Hence my comment in that (now deleted) thread about it usually being better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post and remove all possible doubt.  ;)

There are plenty of threads that I look at once or twice, sometimes in despair, think about posting, then shrug my shoulders and thenceforth ignore them. However, it appears that some people do not have that self-discipline.

#14 RStock

RStock

• 1,342 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 17:58

I think that's a little unfair, Robby.

The issue - as I perceive it - is that some people seem to find it necesary to post in threads where they should not and when a little bit of "self-moderation" would be in order. Hence my comment in that (now deleted) thread about it usually being better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post and remove all possible doubt. ;)

There are plenty of threads that I look at once or twice, sometimes in despair, think about posting, then shrug my shoulders and thenceforth ignore them. However, it appears that some people do not have that self-discipline.

First off, I have no problem with the moderation here. If I have ever had a post removed or been warned about something I can't remember it.

And regards to someone derailing a thread with silliness, especially if it is a constant thing, then I agree completely.

However, my post was addressing someone not even being allowed to start threads aimed at being a bit of fun. As long as it isn't an everyday thing I see no problem with it. Folks can choose to participate or not, simple really.

#15 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,205 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:20

Just so everyone knows, there has NOT been any 'expulsion'!

I cannot believe you used capitals for the word "not", shouldn't be allowed. Really that's the sort of thing that should be fully moderated against, in my day, blah blah blah etc etc etc !!!! :p

Seriously, I have no knowledge of the "problems" of recently, but anyone who gives up their free time to facilitate something so fine as TNF shouldn't even need defending! Top bloke and a good egg to boot!

TNF is the most fun I have with my clothes on..........................

Edited by f1steveuk, 01 September 2012 - 18:21.

#16 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,257 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:45

TNF is the most fun I have with my clothes on..........................

I take it you aren't into frottage then?

#17 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:59

Keep up the good work Twinny :up:

#18 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,737 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 21:37

Hear, hear, Allen. Well said.

#19 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,191 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 22:04

Suggest we calm down.

Nah bollocks to it , fight, fight .fight :wave:

Advertisement

#20 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 22:19

Agree 100% with the worlds of Allen Brown and Artidesco

#21 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,080 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 22:37

I wasn't being critical, just given the recent expulsion, I just wondered who the Mods were. I am actually a Mod on two forums but my name is clearly shown as a Mod on the forum deails.

If, as most of us don't, you start with the Forum Index page you will see that TNF is "led by" Twin Window - and as others have written already he does a good job, even when we sometimes make it quite difficult for him.

#22 RTH

RTH

• 5,742 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:11

Stuart has done a first class job from day one to date and has our grateful thanks for keeping this the best history of motor sport forum on the web.

#23 Leigh Trevail

Leigh Trevail

• 553 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:03

My only criticism of Twinny is that he is to easy going. Before anyone asks; no I would not want his job.

#24 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,016 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:42

An impossible task completed by a proper bloke. Ex-racer & journo turned sticker collector, Twinny's the full bag! :smoking:

#25 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,806 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:47

I think that it is incumbent on us all to moderate the forum. We should help the hard working Moderators by pointing duplicate posts. threads etc and also if anyone oversteps the mark. I am not advocating witch hunts but a gentle nudge to the moderators to maybe take a second look at a particular thread.

I have operated as a moderator on several forums and am not angling for the task on TNF as I believe that our moderators do a superb job.

:wave:

#26 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,270 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:49

It's OK Stuart, it seems to be only football managers and politicians who get the ringing endorsements just prior to you know what.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 02 September 2012 - 15:49.