Photo

Hamilton move in the pit lane

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think? (181 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. It's OK. (65 votes [36.11%])

Percentage of vote: 36.11%

2. It's not safe. (38 votes [21.11%])

Percentage of vote: 21.11%

3. The marshall should not be there. (28 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

4. Deserves a penalty. (43 votes [23.89%])

Percentage of vote: 23.89%

5. Other. (6 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:30

http://www.abload.de...tled-733ewh.gif

Edited by kosmos, 01 September 2012 - 14:31.

Advertisement

#2 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:31

Posted Image

Did he not see the marshall?

The marshall with his flag was supposed to be there, as far as I know.

#3 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:32

not safe from lewis but i am sick of drivers stopping at the pit exit like that

#4 Trust

Trust

• 5,155 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:33

I'd say give him penalty. How much can it hurt, really?

#5 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 1,412 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:36

Not the smartest move by Hamilton. It's not his job to decide where stewards should be. Penalty? No. Some nice money fine? For sure.

#6 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:36

What a marshal's meant to be five metres in front of the last pit box? Looks like he was crossing the pit lane.

#7 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:37

It think they should talk about it in the drivers meeting, no penalty needed but it's not a safe move (in case the marshall position is correct).

#8 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:39

What a marshal's meant to be five metres in front of the last pit box? Looks like he was crossing the pit lane.

I thought the marshall is supposed to be there to flag the start of the respective quali session. Maybe someone knows the rules on this.

However, another car slowing/stopping at the pit exit is something that has already a number of times led to situations - that should be addressed by the stewards, not Lewis' avoiding move.

Edited by aditya-now, 01 September 2012 - 14:40.

#9 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:43

Abit silly from Lewis but perez should of done that slowdown lap on the circuit plus look at the time left for the session . In and out laps are long as hell at this track.

#10 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:51

I'd question the car infront and the marshal standing there first.

#11 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:54

the marshall should not be in the path of cars in a hot pit lane
hamilton gets a penalty...;)

#12 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:54

Well, I was going to say that there's no sense to whine about it. But given that the marshal had to jump out of his way, I think he should get a penalty. A huge one - very irresponsible. Even if the marshal weren't where he supposed to be, Lewis should have started the maneuver or should have aborted it after seeing him.

Pitlane is an area where the driver should expect unprotected people.

I don't think the other car stopped, it was just going slowly (maybe too slow, but I guess it's his right).

Edited by DrProzac, 01 September 2012 - 15:00.

#13 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:00

More Hamilton knocking.
Yawn.

The marshall wasn't wearing hi-viz and wasn't waving the flag, so what was he doing there?

Hamilton would have been concentrating on the parked/slow car. If anyone deserves a penalty, it's Perez.

#14 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:01

Agreed. Definately not safe to stop and the end of the pitlane as the Sauber was doing. The session was underway. If he stopped to wait for a gap then the team sent him too early.

#15 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:04

http://www.abload.de...tled-733ewh.gif

You have no concerns with what the Sauber was doing?

#16 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,884 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:13

You have no concerns with what the Sauber was doing?

It's Hamilton the one making the marshall jump and driving too close to him, the "other" choice it's there for a reason.

#17 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 7,238 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:04

Woah, I'm really surprised he got away with it.

#18 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,746 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:10

This is what I both love and "hate" (I don't hate it, but you catch my drift) with Hamilton! There are no compromises! "Ok, he's going slowly, I'll drive around him".
Take this attitude out of Hamilton and you'd castrate him.

#19 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:18

Another stunningly stupid move by Hamilton. This one was particularly bad because it was not only poor sportsmanship like his usual moves (racing the leaders as a backmarker, weaving on the straight, running out of gas in qually, overly aggressive passing, having his car lifted by crane back into the race...etc.) it was also very dangerous. The Marshall leapt out of the way and I have no idea why Hamilton was not severely punished.

I expect some will try to purported that there is no "rule" precisely detailing that move as illegal - which is said following all of Hamilton's transgressions. For me, that doesn't matter at all; if it isn't sporting, it doesn't become so just because there is no rule. And where a Marshall's safety and even life is in the balance, as it was here, the move cannot be characterized as anything other than dangerously stupid and a stiff penalty should follow.

By the way, if the Marshall had not been present, I would not have posted. But Hamilton could see (or absolutely should have seen) the man - and that should have goverened his decision in this instance. It is not sporting to have a go with a pedestrian - even if they should not have been there. And it is very dangerous. A very stupid decision. Hopefully Hamilton realizes this - that is most important.

Edited by bourbon, 01 September 2012 - 18:24.

Advertisement

#20 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:32

Agree.There needs to be a penalty. You are not allowed to overtake on the right after all. Anyone having the Belgian fine catalogue handy?

#21 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

That certainly looks dangerous. I cannot understand what the marshall was doing there. Has there been any explanation for this?

#22 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Another stunningly stupid move by Hamilton. This one was particularly bad because it was not only poor sportsmanship like his usual moves (racing the leaders as a backmarker, weaving on the straight, running out of gas in qually, overly aggressive passing, having his car lifted by crane back into the race...etc.) it was also very dangerous. The Marshall leapt out of the way and I have no idea why Hamilton was not severely punished.

I expect some will try to purported that there is no "rule" precisely detailing that move as illegal - which is said following all of Hamilton's transgressions. For me, that doesn't matter at all; if it isn't sporting, it doesn't become so just because there is no rule. And where a Marshall's safety and even life is in the balance, as it was here, the move cannot be characterized as anything other than dangerously stupid and a stiff penalty should follow.

By the way, if the Marshall had not been present, I would not have posted. But Hamilton could see (or absolutely should have seen) the man - and that should have goverened his decision in this instance. It is not sporting to have a go with a pedestrian - even if they should not have been there. And it is very dangerous. A very stupid decision. Hopefully Hamilton realizes this - that is most important.

Your own words argue against you....

#23 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:35

Doesn't look too bad to me. Dangerous place to stand though.

#24 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:36

That certainly looks dangerous. I cannot understand what the marshall was doing there. Has there been any explanation for this?

Looked like he was heading over to the Sauber.

#25 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:38

Why was there a car blocking the exit? Why was there a man standing in the road?

#26 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:41

There are usually a few marshals at the end of the pit lane to supervise the drivers entering the circuit, particularly during practice and qualifying when the teams aren't performing racing stops. You can see that he is holding a furled yellow flag, which he would display to drivers leaving pit road if there was an incident at the exit of La Source or where the pit-lane exit rejoins the track (which is, after all, around a blind corner). It's also common to see drivers not travelling at the maximum permissible speed during these sessions for various reasons.

I don't think that Hamilton deserves a penalty, but I'm surprised that the incident hasn't even been mentioned by news sites or the FIA.

Edited by midgrid, 01 September 2012 - 18:43.

#27 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,470 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:44

Looked like he was heading over to the Sauber.

I wonder if he believed that the Sauber had a technical issue?

Shouldn't the Sauber driver be punished under the precedent established at Hungary 2007 that being in an inconvenient place in the pit or pitlane is the same as blocking on the race track during a qualfying lap?

#28 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 18:47

Hang the bastard

#29 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:01

I'd question the car infront and the marshal standing there first.

This. :up:

#30 Realyn

Realyn

• 558 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:07

Yeah exactly, let's get rid of the marshal's and race without them.

Yeah, thats irony.

#31 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:15

There wasn't alot of room there, Hamilton was fortunate that Perez didn't speed up - he could have been into the wall or the marshall. Just an example of an impulsive driving decision by Lewis.

#32 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:16

Slap on the wrist for sure and a reminder in the drivers meeting about pitlane safety. Not a big fan of overtaking in pitlane either, i think it should warrant a penalty.

#33 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:17

Technically the drivers are not supposed to drive on the blue zone at all. But FIA has been letting this go unchecked for a while. So, first of all that was mistake by Hamilton. Had he done the same a little bit further ahead where the two black tarmac zones meet, it would not have been a problem at all.

Next, what the hell was the car ahead doing? Slowing down in the pit lane when the session is on? That is also a mistake.

Next, what is the marshall doing in the black tarmac zone designated for cars to speed through? All three of them are in the wrong here.

#34 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:20

It's the pit exit not a parking lot. Perez needs to get out of the way.

The light was Green.

Edited by Watkins74, 01 September 2012 - 19:21.

#35 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:24

Parked car at the exit is a separate issues, but once it was there, something is not right regarding later action. I am not sure who is right and who is wrong, but they (Hamilton and marshall) cannot be both right, because the man was clearly in danger of getting killed. It would be nice if this would be explained to fans. Thus far Schumacher got shafted this weekend with fine over what could happen, and here with Hamilton we face nothing but stoned silence. Maybe marshall was not supposed to be there, perhaps Hamilton should have slowed down or even stopped, I do not know, but in any case it was a close call for the man, and I bet he knows that.

I have voted for fine due to dangerous driving (Hamilton should have used brakes).

Edited by Sakae, 01 September 2012 - 19:45.

#36 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:28

Why did Perez slow right down and why wasn't the marshall wearing orange? All three parties need a good talking-to.

#37 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,209 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:46

Yeah, pretty much what the vast majority of people have said here - Perez shouldn't have been going so slowly, and the marshal should have been wearing a hi-viz jacket. What's to say that Hamilton even saw the marshal before he dove out of the way?

Nothing wrong with the move. If he hadn't done it, and missed the chequered flag to start his lap, people would be heckling him for not showing due urgency.

Edited by Muppetmad, 01 September 2012 - 19:47.

#38 bongofury

bongofury

• 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:50

I wonder if he believed that the Sauber had a technical issue?

Agreed. One incident lead to another and fortunately not to a serious incident.

It's the pit exit not a parking lot. Perez needs to get out of the way.

The light was Green.

Agreed. If the Sauber wasn't parked there, we wouldnot be debating it.

Why did Perez slow right down and why wasn't the marshall wearing orange? All three parties need a good talking-to.

My final agreement.

#39 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:54

If it was not a rule then don't penalize him. If it is a major concern, make a rule against it.

Advertisement

#40 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:54

Parked car at the exit is a separate issues, but once it was there, something is not right regarding later action. I am not sure who is right and who is wrong, but they (Hamilton and marshall) cannot be both right, because the man was clearly in danger of getting killed. It would be nice if this would be explained to fans. Thus far Schumacher got shafted this weekend with fine over what could happen, and here with Hamilton we face nothing but stoned silence. Maybe marshall was not supposed to be there, perhaps Hamilton should have slowed down or even stopped, I do not know, but in any case it was a close call for the man, and I bet he knows that.

I have voted for fine due to dangerous driving (Hamilton should have used brakes).

OMG

#41 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:59

This is what I both love and "hate" (I don't hate it, but you catch my drift) with Hamilton! There are no compromises! "Ok, he's going slowly, I'll drive around him".
Take this attitude out of Hamilton and you'd castrate him.

I catch your drift: rather than castrating Hamilton you'd prefer him to drive into the guy ahead of him in the pitlane, like in Montréal 2008.

;)

You forgot Hamilton driving into a stationary guy in the pitlane (Raikkonen, Montréal 2008) plus illegal moves and once even a subsequent lie to the stewards... Seriously, Hamilton is one of a kind, like Maldonado now he is the one who will always get involved into "special incidents". Not surprisingly he and Maldonado had already three contre-temps with each other, not to speak of the special love between Hamilton and Massa last year....

Edited by aditya-now, 01 September 2012 - 20:04.

#42 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,306 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 19:59

I think calling for a penalty in light of this is the height of opportunism to be perfectly honest. The Marshall had to get out of the way but its quite a leap to say he was in serious danger of being killed.

highlights a problem of how teams and drivers treat the pitlane - I dont think the Sauber should be allowed to slow where it did.

No penalties needed, perhaps a re-think of the rules to stop slow moving cars at pit exits.

#43 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:07

highlights a problem of how teams and drivers treat the pitlane - I dont think the Sauber should be allowed to slow where it did.

Apart from the fact that it's always Hamilton or Maldonada, you are right: the real problem is cars slowing or even stopping at the pit lane exit, when others are coming from behind. There should be some clear rules on this - it is as dangerous as an unsafe release.

#44 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:12

Apart from the fact that it's always Hamilton or Maldonada, you are right: the real problem is cars slowing or even stopping at the pit lane exit, when others are coming from behind. There should be some clear rules on this - it is as dangerous as an unsafe release.

This happens all the time, it is only when Hamilton is involved does it become thread worthy.

#45 xman

xman

• 853 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:13

When I saw there is a car almost stopped at the end of the pitlane and Hamilton approaching at 100km/h I thought there was going to be a crash.. not this time.

Reminded me of this incident:

https://www.youtube....feature=related

#46 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,580 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:16

When I saw there is a car almost stopped at the end of the pitlane and Hamilton approaching at 100km/h I thought there was going to be a crash.. not this time.

Reminded me of this incident:

https://www.youtube....feature=related

Maybe he learned from that incident, *shrugs shoulders*

#47 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:20

OMG

Not really, ForeverF1.

Even if both Perez and the marshall were wrong, still it was no good idea of Hamilton to accelerate towards an unprotected human being - whether there are rules about that or not.

EDIT FOR TYPO

Edited by aditya-now, 01 September 2012 - 20:25.

#48 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 20:24

This happens all the time, it is only when Hamilton is involved does it become thread worthy.

No, also when Senna or Kovalainen did it last time it was dangerous - but this time a human being had to jump for his dear life - it doesn't matter if the perpetrator is Hamilton or someone else.

I am amazed that the FIA doesn't have more precise rules on this - as I say, there is "unsafe release", but obviously also "unsafe exiting the pit lane". And precautions should be taken.

#49 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 21:19

No, also when Senna or Kovalainen did it last time it was dangerous - but this time a human being had to jump for his dear life - it doesn't matter if the perpetrator is Hamilton or someone else.

I am amazed that the FIA doesn't have more precise rules on this - as I say, there is "unsafe release", but obviously also "unsafe exiting the pit lane". And precautions should be taken.

You're being rather melodramatic there, the guy took a quick step backwards as Hamilton came towards him. At pitlane limits there was little danger to him, indeed the fact he was not in hi-vis as he was standing in the middle of the pits was more dangerous than anything.

#50 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 21:21

You're being rather melodramatic there, the guy took a quick step backwards as Hamilton came towards him. At pitlane limits there was little danger to him, indeed the fact he was not in hi-vis as he was standing in the middle of the pits was more dangerous than anything.

True..... But why let the reality of the situation and common sense get in the way of a good old hangin' !