Bonnier's Cooper-Maserati

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 22:17

Amazing coincidence yesterday...

In the morning I was flicking through Doug Nye's Cooper book (nothing unusual there - I do most days) and stopped at the photo of Bonnier's 1966 T81 described as being 'orange with white stripes'.

I thought two things:

1. If Bonnier really did choose orange - then why when he wasn't Dutch? and
2. That I was certain it was red

Yesterday afternoon, when looking for something else in the attic, I found a box of photographs - it included photos I'd taken at Donington some 30 years ago. In amongst it all - a photo of Bonnier's Cooper-Maserati, looking resplendant in red.

I have seen McLaren's 'papaya' described as 'yellowy-orange' and we've seen 'orangey red', but my 30 year old photo of the Cooper sure looks 'reddy-red'.

Advertisement

#2 buckaluck

buckaluck

• 149 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 22:43

Well Dougs picture he referenced may have been old if it was a slide or neg from that era it could have faded the films back then were not so stable
just some things that could have come into play, even a print could have faded a bit. With that said could the owner or sponsor of his car been Dutch? You do raise a good question though so maybe other photographers from that era would know more about the films of that time and changes that can happen. I did not shoot that far back and actually color back then was less likely most was in B&W but I have some shots from the 70's and wow the film has changed color big time and when I shoot digital and it can't capture colors that are floresent or close to it correctly
mainly because RGB can't reproduce that color so i'm sure film is the same.

I'm sure some TNF'r will have a better answer then mine but maybe the owner or sponsor came into play.

Good luck with the real answer.

Buck

#3 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:00

The few color photos I've seen made it look red too, and it would make a lot more sense for it to be red with white stripes since the Swiss colors were red with a white bonnet. Perhaps the Ferraris may have been a deeper red which made Bonnier's car almost look orange in comparison?

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:53

I saw the car in period. Forget orange - it was red.

#5 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:13

I saw the car in period. Forget orange - it was red.

Reddy-red?

Thanks BB - have built one?

#6 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:16

Just red, really: http://www.tumblr.co...fore=1334504657

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:44

Bonnier entered that year as Anglo-Suisse Racing Team, hence the Swiss racing colours, as explained by Richard (Vitesse2) in this 8W article:

http://8w.forix.com/intltr66.html

#8 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:10

Thanks BB - have built one?

Yes, but in 1966.

#9 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 734 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:35

Amazing coincidence yesterday...

In the morning I was flicking through Doug Nye's Cooper book (nothing unusual there - I do most days) and stopped at the photo of Bonnier's 1966 T81 described as being 'orange with white stripes'.

I thought two things:

1. If Bonnier really did choose orange - then why when he wasn't Dutch? and
2. That I was certain it was red

Yesterday afternoon, when looking for something else in the attic, I found a box of photographs - it included photos I'd taken at Donington some 30 years ago. In amongst it all - a photo of Bonnier's Cooper-Maserati, looking resplendant in red.

I have seen McLaren's 'papaya' described as 'yellowy-orange' and we've seen 'orangey red', but my 30 year old photo of the Cooper sure looks 'reddy-red'.

It was red, but a somewhat duller shade than that of the Ferraris. Joakim was a Swiss resident at the time, and the colours were those of Switzerland, red and white, with the works Cooper pattern of twin stripes in white over the base colour being employed. And it had that awful kink in the FL wishbones, in order to clear those "inboard mounted "outboard front brake discs.

Incidentally, the car features in the Frankenheimer film, sitting precariously off the track at the drenched Spa in 1966.

#10 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:29

It was red in '67 also. I have the colour slides....just have to dig them out.

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 22:15

It was red in '67 also. I have the colour slides....just have to dig them out.

When I chose to describe this car's colour as 'orange' it was a considered decision. This is because I was surprised at how far from red its livery proved to be when I had frequent contact with it during its years at Donington. 'Red' was not an adequate description, although I accept neither is 'orange'. Its peculiar hue was more of a 'blood-orange' colour, in fact.

DCN

#12 thirtytwo

thirtytwo

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:58

Similar to Ford's current True Red in normal light looks bright but plain red in strong sunlight bring out a i'm almost orange look.

#13 thirtytwo

thirtytwo

• 30 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:58

Similar to Ford's current True Red in normal light looks bright but plain red in strong sunlight bring out a i'm almost orange look.