Photo

Hamilton tweets Mclaren's Telemetry sheet containing sensitive data!

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Hamilton get into trouble with Mclaren over this (284 member(s) have cast votes)

What will come of this within Mclaren Management??

1. Reprimand (56 votes [19.79%])

Percentage of vote: 19.79%

2. Final Reprimand (16 votes [5.65%])

Percentage of vote: 5.65%

3. Contract Trouble (72 votes [25.44%])

Percentage of vote: 25.44%

4. Nothing. (139 votes [49.12%])

Percentage of vote: 49.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:01

Posted Image
http://www.planetf1....ts-Cause-Furore

He set the eighth fastest time during qualifying on Saturday, well off the pace of his team-mate and pole-sitter Jenson Button.
This prompted him to take to Twitter on Saturday where he posted a series of angry comments following the decision to use a different rear-wing to that of Button.

'Damn, WTF!! Jenson has the new rear wing on, I have the old. We voted to change, didn't work out. I lose 0.4 tenths just on the straight,' he wrote.
'Nothing I could do. Now, it's about picking up every point I can from there. Jenson should win easy with that speed.'

But the Brit was at it again on Sunday morning, this time posting telemetry data.

According to BBC Sport, 'the telemetry sheet not only contained traces of the two drivers' laps, showing where Hamilton was losing time to Button, but also information about the car's settings, including sensitive data such as its ride height'.

The image was deleted not long after with McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh confirming that they asked him to take it down.
"No, we did not ask Lewis to remove yesterday's tweets, but yes we did ask him to remove this morning's telemetry tweets," he said.

Belgian GP: Lewis Hamilton's tweet angers McLaren team
http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19456707
Lewis Hamilton has angered his McLaren team by posting sensitive technical information on the social networking site Twitter.

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 September 2012 - 15:17.

Advertisement

#2 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:04

$20 million right foot connected to a $1 brain. What a childish thing to do.

#3 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:07

I'm not sure indeed why he does that. It's a good source of info but hey, it isn't the smart thing to do.

#4 NateF

NateF

• 4,052 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:07

How is that different from this? Apart from permission maybe?

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:09

Non-topic. Innocent mistake due to slight red mist, he's had a tough week due to the death of his aunt anyway, appropriate action taken, settings meant squat-all in the end due to the first corner crash.

#6 pazza

pazza

• 117 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:10

Clearly a boy with a hurt ego .... but what an ego it must be considering it's not too often that JB has had his measure this season.

#7 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:13

Innocent mistake going to surely be completely blown out of proportion because its Hamilton.

#8 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:15

Innocent mistake going to surely be completely blown out of proportion because its Hamilton.

To be fair, a world champion in his 6th season as a driver for a front running team (for his entire career). You'd think he wouldn't make such a mistake...but **** happens. Personally there's probably nothing there that rival teams don't know already anyway, but McLaren still won't be happy.

#9 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:16

To be fair, a world champion in his 6th season as a driver for a front running team (for his entire career). You'd think he wouldn't make such a mistake...but **** happens. Personally there's probably nothing there that rival teams don't know already anyway, but McLaren still won't be happy.

I know what you mean, but professional people can still make mistakes.

#10 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:16

What does that contain that other teams can't pick up with their million dollar sensors and stuff spread all aorund?

#11 aray

aray

• 5,821 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:17

so you can't see the difference.?...those nos. in left are too hard to read for you.?.. :smoking:

#12 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:17

Its not an 'innocent' mistake at all, though. He should know better than that. If not, then he's really lacking some important wits.

Anyways, he says/does stupid stuff off-the-track quite a bit. If he gets flak for it, its not 'because its Hamilton' its because of Hamilton.

#13 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:18

He feels he is getting screwed by the team, You can see why he is tweeting this stuff. He clearly feels misled and isn't confident about the job the team are doing.

#14 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:20

^^ This

Hamilton is a great racer without a doubt but his attitude and immaturity is a problem.

#15 NateF

NateF

• 4,052 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:21

He feels he is getting screwed by the team, You can see why he is tweeting this stuff. He clearly feels misled and isn't confident about the job the team are doing.

Then he will not resign, yes?

#16 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:22

I think he just wanted to give some insight in why he was so far down the grid in relation to his teammate to his fans. It's an honest intention borne out of frustration with the team's decision to run the older RW on his car.

Everyone uses the same telemetry systems, and the 'sensitive' information is probably known to other teams anyway, what with their spotters and photographs and every thing they use to 'spy' on the opposition...

Non-story, just a shame that kinda stuff is not really allowed to 'go public' with prior vetting...

#17 NateF

NateF

• 4,052 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:25

so you can't see the difference.?...those nos. in left are too hard to read for you.?.. :smoking:

Still, seems like mountain out of a mole hill

#18 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:26

Hamilton Twitter outburst has McLaren in damage control mode
http://www.yallaf1.c.....8YallaF1.com)

Mclaren ask Lewis to Delete Tweets
http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=47155

Edited by BackOnTop, 02 September 2012 - 15:35.

#19 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:27

Not the most clever thing to do, posting confidential info on twitter. Had this been any other company that would be cause for immediate dismissal.

Edited by PARAZAR, 02 September 2012 - 15:28.

Advertisement

#20 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

This thread is exactly why I roll my eyes whenever someone moans about today's F1 drivers being corporate drones or not showing any personality, because as soon as they do, be they Vettel, Alonso ect they get jumped on, by a bunch of nameless faces on the web who no doubt vote republican.

Unless you work for McLaren I can't see how anyone could fail to appreciate it for the valuable insight it is.

#21 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Hamilton Twitter outburst has McLaren in damage control mode
http://www.yallaf1.c.....8YallaF1.com)

Mclaren ask Lewis to Delete Tweets
http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=47155

Hamilton gives insight into qualifying woes
http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=47154

You've got those URLs wrong, it's Pisspass...

#22 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:28

You are a couple hours late with this "news" :lol:

anyway, it is good for us fans to see more private stuff from the teams but obviously bad for them :)

#23 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:28

I think he just wanted to give some insight in why he was so far down the grid in relation to his teammate to his fans.

I think he's just entirely too worried about what other people think about him.

#24 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:29

I'd like to know why you can't post that stuff.

#25 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:31

Unless you work for McLaren I can't see how anyone could fail to appreciate it for the valuable insight comic value it is.

Fixed.
The rest of your post was not worth quoting.

#26 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:31

I think he's just entirely too worried about what other people think about him.

That could be the root of it, but like I said I think his intentions are honest, whatever the sub-conscious motivation.

#27 Biggun

Biggun

• 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:33

Not a great weekend from him on so many levels, think the strain of the contract talks might be getting to him

#28 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:33

Fixed.
The rest of your post was not worth quoting.

Or raises uncomfortable issues you clearly find yourself unable to deal with, NVM.

#29 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:35

This thread is exactly why I roll my eyes whenever someone moans about today's F1 drivers being corporate drones or not showing any personality, because as soon as they do, be they Vettel, Alonso ect they get jumped on, by a bunch of nameless faces on the web who no doubt vote republican.

Unless you work for McLaren I can't see how anyone could fail to appreciate it for the valuable insight it is.

:up: :up:

#30 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:36

I don't know how to answer the poll questions as I don't work for McLaren but I know if I was to post sensitive information from my work on Twitter then I would not get off lightly! I agree with the poster who said he has a £20 million right foot and a £1 brain.

#31 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:39

Not the most clever thing to do, posting confidential info on twitter. Had this been any other company that would be cause for immediate dismissal.

Hamilton as their top level driver is in an almost CEO-like position in McLaren, he'll need to do more than this to truly piss them off.

#32 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:42

Why on earth did Hamilton think that was a good idea?

It smacks of someone trying to prove a point. In fact, it smacks of someone essentially saying "f*** you" to his employer.

But then, why was he trying to prove a point? I thought this was resolved yesterday when it was clear that the rear wing choice was a joint decision from all involved in order to avoid the potentially embarrassing situation of sticking experimental new parts on Hamilton's car only to have them fail.

So something is going on here. Hmailton would know very well that he would be asked to remove telemetry data from Twitter. If I go and post our clients' market research data all over Facebook, for example, I'm going to be (at the very least) severely reprimanded.

#33 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:44

Hamilton as their top level driver is in an almost CEO-like position in McLaren, he'll need to do more than this to truly piss them off.

I'm not too sure about that; he doesn't strike me as having too many friends at McLaren, tbh. I would be amazed if McLaren haven't been sounding out other drivers for several months now, just in case they couldn't reach an agreement with Lewis (plus, Lewis very publicly sounded out Red Bull a few months ago; were I Whitmarsh I would have taken that as a clear signal to go and court di Resta or Hulkenburg with immediate effect).

#34 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:46

I think he just wanted to give some insight in why he was so far down the grid in relation to his teammate to his fans. It's an honest intention borne out of frustration with the team's decision to run the older RW on his car.

Everyone uses the same telemetry systems, and the 'sensitive' information is probably known to other teams anyway, what with their spotters and photographs and every thing they use to 'spy' on the opposition...

Non-story, just a shame that kinda stuff is not really allowed to 'go public' with prior vetting...

Or it could be that Hamilton is trying to show to the world that Mclaren is "Favoring Button"!! Also, this comes at a time where Lewis might be getting a bit Paranoid about his contract situation with Mclaren.

This could be start of something really sour between the Team & Hamilton... going to such extent as trying to show Button is really not that Fast... could actually make the bubble burst.

Or it will come to nothing and F1 moves on.

#35 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:46

Shhhhhhh they don't know that, they think that he is in very bad position within McLaren and that their relationship ended after this weekend :p :lol:

#36 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 2,206 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:49

CEO-like position? He' a driver employed by a team. If Ferrari sacked Prost for bad behaviour, any team can do the same if they see fit.

#37 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:51

It was not politically correct but nevertheless a good tweet.

It means Lewis cares.

#38 natureboy

natureboy

• 76 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:54

Pointless and stupid.

Pointless because from a guy that likes to "move on", he's dragging the wing issue. Can't he switch racing engineer if he's not happy?

Stupid because he gave some free data to other teams.

Most talented driver on the grid, but clearly lacks maturity. If the stars aren't aligned he's just not what he can and should be - the best driver on the grid.

#39 Rakaman

Rakaman

• 196 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:56

Nobody cares. Their telemetry isn't worth the effort to copy/paste if they don't even know what wing to put on the car.

Advertisement

#40 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:57

Unprofessional behaviour. Cry baby.

#41 Coral

Coral

• 6,758 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:04

It was not politically correct but nevertheless a good tweet.

It means Lewis cares.

Of course Lewis cares. He cares too much...that's why I like him so much. The trouble is, he is driving for a team that doesn't care. Therein lies the problem.

#42 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:04

More like connected to a heavy set of balls.

#43 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 954 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:08

Off with his head!!!

#44 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,319 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:10

I'd like to know why you can't post that stuff.

I have to presume that you are not of working age else you ought to know why. In any employee contract in any country that has IR laws IP laws there would be a clause that the company retains all rights to information pertaining to its business activities. McLaren would have a policy and the relevant parts would appear in a employee contract and also at some stage discussed in other forum. It is stock business practice to protect property for competitive reasons. That is why you can't just post that stuff.

#45 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:13

This, folks need to go and read up about F1 in the eighties, when you had dudes calling their competitors dumb and slandering their wives.

I wish I was there to see it.

#46 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:17

:up: :up:

The team will be furious. Career suicide perhaps. Hamilton's insecurity is off the charts.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 02 September 2012 - 16:18.

#47 LewisWDC

LewisWDC

• 55 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:18

Well done Lewis, we now have conclusive proof of all the shenanigans going on at Mclaren.
Keep exposin them, and good luck with ur Mercedez contract it will be a match made in heaven!

Fight fire with fire!

I can't wait for your tell-all book on the goings on at Mclaren, fascinating read for sure!

Edited by LewisWDC, 02 September 2012 - 16:21.

#48 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,494 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:23

There's nothing top secret in the tweeted info. And though i'm sure McLaren is not keen on having their pilots wildly spreading such info, it's just blatantly childish behaviour to use Twitter to moan about a presumption of being treated unequally. And i'm pretty sure thàt's what angered them much more.
Spoilt little brat.

#49 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:33

Well done Lewis, we now have conclusive proof of all the shenanigans going on at Mclaren.
Keep exposin them, and good luck with ur Mercedez contract it will be a match made in heaven!

Fight fire with fire!

I can't wait for your tell-all book on the goings on at Mclaren, fascinating read for sure!

Something tells me you don't have a career. Or with a name like that an ounce of objectivity.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 02 September 2012 - 16:34.

#50 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:33

I don't hate his attitude in general, in fact I see him as a very spirited and strong-willed driver, but Hamilton should stay away from twitter when he's being emotional. As a spectator it's interesting, but if I were part of the team I wouldn't like that really.