Photo

Mika Hakkinen says lack of testing causing accidents by inexperienced F1 drivers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Biggun

Biggun

• 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:32

http://www.pitlanema...magazine/?p=317

After the incident packed career of Maldonado and the incident from Grosjean today I think he has a valid point

Advertisement

#2 Massa

Massa

• 10,092 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:33

I don't think it's because of the lack of testing that Grosjean didn't look at his mirror and squeeze Hamilton. At the start, when you change direction, you have to look at the mirrors. He should know he was not the only one at the track.

Last year, when Senna forgot to brake early, it was the lack of testing, because Senna misdjudge the speed and his brake was cold.

Edited by Massa, 02 September 2012 - 15:34.

#3 vas04614

vas04614

• 637 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:35

I don't think so. how will the testing help your spatial awareness of other cars near you and driving in traffic?

#4 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:39

After the incident packed career of Maldonado and the incident from Grosjean today I think he has a valid point

"Now that it is difficult to get as much experience of the car it makes it more risky as drivers don’t have as much experience and accidents are more likely to happen, it makes the drivers life much more hard."

Good point. I've always liked Mika - a no-nonsense driver who spots the important issues.

#5 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:41

Don't agree. What we saw today from Maldonado and Grosjean were basic, schoolboy errors.

#6 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:42

If these were the first races of the season then maybe, but all the drivers have plenty of starts and mileage now.

#7 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,563 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:44

Schoolboy errors tend to happen if don´t have enough experience in driving a car, I thínk there is a point

#8 Pitlane

Pitlane

• 579 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:45

Could argue that with proper testing some of theese new drivers would never make it to a race seat. So maybe he is right

#9 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:51

He's got the point.

#10 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:10

Schoolboy errors tend to happen if don´t have enough experience in driving a car, I thínk there is a point

These guys are not inexperienced racers. There really is no excuse for some of the errors and todays in particular.

#11 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:13

You don't learn racecraft in testing, you learn it by racing.

Grosjean and Maldonado are doing things that SHOULD be unacceptable in all the junior formulae they have driven in.

Edited by BigWicks, 02 September 2012 - 16:15.

#12 Biggun

Biggun

• 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:56

These guys are not inexperienced racers. There really is no excuse for some of the errors and todays in particular.

The more time a driver spends in the car the more he is used to it and the more comfortable he is with it

Mika admitted how much the testing helped him in F1

Seeing as most of the accidents are caused by Grosjean and Maldonado he has a point

#13 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:01

The more time a driver spends in the car the more he is used to it and the more comfortable he is with it

Seeing as most of the accidents are caused by Grosjean and Maldonado he has a point

Maybe those two are just bad?

#14 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:09

No doubt, but many of the recent crashes have been sheer carelessness and I don't believe testing would have made a difference, especially today.

#15 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:24

I think with more testing drivers would be more confident to put the cars near each other and stick to their lines = more crarhing. I don't think the crash rates have increased, quite the opposite.

Grosjean and Maldonado are experienced racers. Their problem is attitude completely and in testing you don't learn that.

Edited by Mauseri, 03 September 2012 - 09:43.

#16 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,613 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:32

I don't think so. how will the testing help your spatial awareness of other cars near you and driving in traffic?

It helps you learn the width and length of your own car. So when you see another car, you know where your own wheels are (aka, not against someone else his sidepod or wheel).

#17 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:08

While Hakkinen was the one who clumsily took off Senna at the Pacific GP and 10 other cars at the German GP in 94. That was with loads of testing and three seasons worth of xp.

Not so sure if he forgot that bbut okay, I admit the level of incompetence as displayed by Grosjean and Maldonado is simply gross, even taking into account that testing is very limited and they had less xp at this point than Hakkinen.