Photo

FIA getting it right with Low Noses

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alfons

Alfons

• 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:54

For Alonso, today's crash could have been way worse if we had the high noses from the previous seasons.

During the rule change , I remember a lot of comments on the FIA being pedantic about such trivial matters. Stepped noses don't look too ugly now , do they?
Credit to them for changing this before anything serious happened. Next step, driver head protection maybe?

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,735 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:56

I'm not sure the noses made any difference at all in this incident. Think RG was already airborne, but if he wasn't then he still went over the top of FA's car anyway.

#3 smitten

smitten

• 4,982 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:56

During the rule change , I remember a lot of comments on the FIA being pedantic about such trivial matters. Stepped noses don't look too ugly now , do they?

They still look ugly, and I am yet to see much evidence that Alonso would have burst through the pearly gates backwards in a ball of flame if we still had last year's noses. I think reports of his near death have been greatly exaggerated.

#4 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:00

I watched that incident several times and I can't see how the nose height would've made any difference. From what I saw, the rear of Grosjean's car came much closer to Alonso's head than the front ever did.

#5 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:21

I don't think the noses would have changed anything today.

The fact that the low-noses were botched so badly so that they produced these fugly stepped noses shows the lack of foresight on behalf of the FIA and how this was a kneejerk reaction to a minor problem in the first place.

And you know what the worst thing is? We're going to have it again in 2013, nobody can be bothered to fix the noses. Despite all the negative attention they got early on, it seems most fans/media have now accepted them, and even forced themselves to like them in some quasi-stockholm syndrome situation.

Now people, knowing how blinkered F1 fans are, will probably complain if the FIA tries to get rid of them "they were so charming", "things were better back in the olden days", "only 2012 kids will understand how good F1 used to be" etc etc.. :down: :mad:

And don't even act like I'm not correct.

Edited by King Six, 02 September 2012 - 18:21.

#6 MickStephenson

MickStephenson

• 56 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:41

The fact that the low-noses were botched so badly so that they produced these fugly stepped noses shows the lack of foresight on behalf of the FIA and how this was a kneejerk reaction to a minor problem in the first place.

The problem with the noses is that they had got higher and higher for better downforce and were now so high that they made it highly likely for the car to ride up over the other car during collision and kill the other driver. That is the FIA's reasoning for lowering the nose.
And your complaint is that they are "fugly".
Not decapitating the drivers vs "fugly".

And as for the olden days stuff, high noses are modern, the FIA were enforcing a return to the past.
The is the step was the teams solution, you can blame the teams for that.
McClaren has not resorted to the step, non of the other teams were forced to do the step either.

#7 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:56

And you know what the worst thing is? We're going to have it again in 2013, nobody can be bothered to fix the noses.

Sure?
I thought they said that the bulkhead height will be lower as well.
They couldnt do it for this year because the teams were already well advanced in car development.

#8 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:58

I'm not sure the noses made any difference at all in this incident. Think RG was already airborne, but if he wasn't then he still went over the top of FA's car anyway.

Well, Lewis' car was pointing straight at Alonso, so with a higher nose he would have very nicely speared him.

#9 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,735 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 19:04

Well, Lewis' car was pointing straight at Alonso, so with a higher nose he would have very nicely speared him.

Rubbish. LH hit the rear of FA's car. The height of the nose would not have made any difference.

#10 g1n

g1n

• 894 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 19:19

utter nonsense.

#11 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:05

The problem with the noses is that they had got higher and higher for better downforce and were now so high that they made it highly likely for the car to ride up over the other car during collision and kill the other driver. That is the FIA's reasoning for lowering the nose.
And your complaint is that they are "fugly".
Not decapitating the drivers vs "fugly".

And as for the olden days stuff, high noses are modern, the FIA were enforcing a return to the past.
The is the step was the teams solution, you can blame the teams for that.
McClaren has not resorted to the step, non of the other teams were forced to do the step either.

They lowered the nose in a stupid way though, with stupid wording. I know why they lowered it, and why the teams went for the step, that's all old news. Just that the way they went about it was stupid, also for this incident today it didn't make a difference anyway.

Also the current low noses are nothing like the old low noses, and high noses are also not old. You clearly have no idea what I was talking about, or even what you are talking about, so refrain from replying to my posts next time.

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,735 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:24

They lowered the nose in a stupid way though, with stupid wording. I know why they lowered it, and why the teams went for the step, that's all old news. Just that the way they went about it was stupid, also for this incident today it didn't make a difference anyway.

Also the current low noses are nothing like the old low noses, and high noses are also not old. You clearly have no idea what I was talking about, or even what you are talking about, so refrain from replying to my posts next time.

I still don't understand why the rules were worded in such a way as to require the step, when all that was needed was a maximum height for the front of the car.

I must be missing something.

#13 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,124 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:34

Op makes no sense re nose heights, as with the dc wurz crash at Melbourne couple years back, the car getting airborn and nearly decapitating the guy is the dangerous bit. Idiots driving into other people and interlocking wheels are the real dangers.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 02 September 2012 - 20:35.