Photo

Bollard time?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:28

The Eau Rouge shortcuts are getting annoying. People refused to lift when they needed because there was tarmac there. Grass or turf in there is dangerous stuff, but I think a soft bollard on the top is needed, and drivers hitting it or going through the wrong side should be warned and then punished.

Advertisement

#2 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:30

Is any bollard soft when you hit it at that speed? The last thing that is needed at Radion is something that can jam a front wing under the car.

#3 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:37

Is any bollard soft when you hit it at that speed? The last thing that is needed at Radion is something that can jam a front wing under the car.

Way better than grass/turf/high curb. Something needs to be done, Eau Rouge went videogameish too much times this weekend. The tracks themselves must avoid the "is that OK?" debate, as Monza did with the chicanes.

#4 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:51

My concern with a bollard there is if you hit it, you lose your downforce immediately and could go straight on into the tyre barrier where the sportscar pit exit is (where the GP2 driver hit yesterday)
and in Eau Rouge if drivers do go off there, generally they lose time. Massa was lucky on the first lap of the restart not to lose out to Vettel after he went straight on at the top of the hill.

#5 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 21:06

and in Eau Rouge if drivers do go off there, generally they lose time.

Hope it was like that, and if it was, there´d be no problem... but I´m not so sure.

#6 MoebiusPT

MoebiusPT

• 76 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 21:35

Massa was one of the main offenders this after noon. What about raising the kerb? Something that limits the infractor speed and makes then vulnerable in the following straight?

#7 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 21:41

Yeah, that really pissed me off.

#8 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,125 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 21:48

I noticed Massa do this twice.

In iRacing if you cut the last apex of eau rouge like that you get a 'slow down' penalty that makes you give the time back plus a bit more to make sure you don't take advantage of cutting.

Now F1 cars have delta technology this could be remotely issued as the live timing could prove if they got a time advantage and if they gave it back. No need for a draconian stop go.

#9 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 22:18

A narrow strip of grass on each side would do the trick. Unlike a bollard, it'd still be there throughout the race.

#10 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:43

Massa was one of the main offenders this after noon. What about raising the kerb? Something that limits the infractor speed and makes then vulnerable in the following straight?

Bring back old style kerbs. :up:

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 03 September 2012 - 04:43.

#11 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:26

In iRacing if you cut the last apex of eau rouge like that you get a 'slow down' penalty that makes you give the time back plus a bit more to make sure you don't take advantage of cutting.

Now F1 cars have delta technology this could be remotely issued as the live timing could prove if they got a time advantage and if they gave it back. No need for a draconian stop go.

good idea but if the computer initiates a go slow penalty with a car right behind, you'll have an almighty shunt when the car in front slows

#12 mtknot

mtknot

• 1,206 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:37

Bollards are way too dangerous; at that speed it could potentially tear off a wing, or launch a car sky high. A drive through penalty would have been all that was needed. Whether its a disadvantage or not is questionable; having two wheels on the kerb actually lifts the plank off the ground. Going through the optimal line means plankscraping action. Old style kerbs would send drivers into barriers so they're not a good idea too.

The stewards could just give out drive thru pentalties anyway.

#13 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,125 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:40

good idea but if the computer initiates a go slow penalty with a car right behind, you'll have an almighty shunt when the car in front slows

Not necessarily, I had a car right behind me in a race the other day when I cut the last apex of Eau Rouge in exactly the same fashion as Massa. How much and how quickly I lifted was entirely up to me so I pulled to the right on the straight and lifted to about 75% throttle until the warning disappeared and I could get back on the power fully. The car behind passed me on the left hand side which I was pretty annoyed about but hey, I cut a corner! Better than a drive through. If the drivers are instructed to act as if there is a blue flag situation I think it could be a good solution. If the driver chooses to ignore the warning or not slow down enough a drive through is then issued.

Edited by Tenmantaylor, 03 September 2012 - 08:44.

#14 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:42

Comparing computer games with real racing would be only laughable if it didn't bring strange ideas about making everything more and more complicated. With people forgetting that there is no computer behind the scenes to synchronize all actions.

#15 Peat

Peat

• 8,862 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:58

Put it back how it was:

Posted Image

That'll teach'em.

#16 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:11

As I said elsewhere, high round curbs like the ones they put now on the inside of every corner of Silverstone old sector 1 could do it. But it looks a bit dangerous, even if no one would go there intentionally, now cars go side by side there and someone could end up riding them and getting airborne. There´s no easy fix.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 03 September 2012 - 13:11.

#17 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:21

Stick a wall where the curbs are instead ;)

#18 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:28

I will say the same thing as I always say. Have the ECU cut the power from the engine if you leave the track. Problem solved.

#19 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 13:38

He lost time both times BTW.

Advertisement

#20 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,125 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 21:06

Guys, this is the exact situation I described: http://www.youtube.c...1_GjSg#t=40m58s

It happened in the top split race. 426 people took part in the iRacing Grand Prix this weekend across nearly 20 races organised by qual time, quite a turn out!

#21 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 21:32

Guys, this is the exact situation I described: http://www.youtube.c...1_GjSg#t=40m58s

It happened in the top split race. 426 people took part in the iRacing Grand Prix this weekend across nearly 20 races organised by qual time, quite a turn out!

Awesome stuff :)

Funny to see videogame racers more cautious than real guys :lol: They don´t even push people wide doing the Vettel trick in Bus Stop, exposing themselves again into la Source. Bizarrely clean

#22 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 00:27

iracing punishes you for contact, cutting the track etc (all automatic), hence the typicaly clean racing.

but yeah funny how its much more respectful than f1 has been for so many years

#23 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 511 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:52

What we really need is a heavy sand / gravel trap right along both sides of Eau Rogue. It will stop the mischief and will be much safer than grass (which may cause a car to overturn).

But something definitely needs to be done.

#24 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:03

iracing punishes you for contact, cutting the track etc (all automatic), hence the typicaly clean racing.

It´s even TOO clean :lol: When they´re side by side on the second part on bus stop, the guy inside only uses half the road to straighten up the exit. They should use all the track except a car´s width if fully alongside, or all the track if they´re a bit in front.