Photo

Who's It Gonna Be Then, Eh?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 Vicente14

Vicente14

• 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 21:02

With a dramatic first corner crash, which saw championship leader Alonso (and Hamilton) retire, in yesterday's race has really mixed up the title fight. Fernando's lead has been cut by Vettel to 24 points and Kimi has been quietly lurking in the championship race this season, he is now 33 points behind the Spaniard. Webber and Hamilton are still in the mix and even Button, who scored the most points since Germany, is still hanging on with a outside chance.

Who's it gonna be then?

Will Fernando maintain the lead he has over his rivals and take a well-deserved title?
Will Vettel crown himself a tripple champion in his short career in Formula One?
Is it gonna be the quiet man, Kimi Raikkonen, in his comeback year?
Will Lewis Hamilton from now on maximising the speed in his McLaren car and drive to his 2nd title?
Will the veteran Aussie Mark Webber be the next Formula One champion?
Or will Jenson complete a stunning comeback and shock the world with his 2nd title?

Who and Why?

Advertisement

#2 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 21:51

jenson , webber are out of it,the former is too far back and will run out of races , the later started his performance drop this year and will recfover when its too late.

hamilon very far back but he is capable of winning some races and with some bad luck from the others , he could do it

vettel,alonso,raikonnen most consistent drivers this season and most probably the title is between them

Edited by Cavani, 03 September 2012 - 21:51.

#3 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 22:33

I honestly don't know. Alonso is still the favourite, but much less so than he was before Hungary.

I'll go with...

Kimi 2012!

#4 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 591 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 22:40

Alonso. Driven superbly this year and has not put a foot wrong.

Edited by LH08WDC, 03 September 2012 - 22:40.

#5 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 22:42

I'm going to go with Lewis, for some reason I just expect him to take it to another level from Monza on wards. Other planet kind of level. I don't know why, probably just blind loyalty.

#6 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 22:57

Kimi - consistency + with Gro's situation team is more likely to adjust the car to his liking, resulting in some wins...

#7 Alexandros

Alexandros

• 2,069 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:06

My preference would be

1. Kimi
2. Alonso
(indifferent)

but I think it will end up like this

1. Alonso
2. Kimi
3. Vettel
4. Hamilton
5. Webber
6. Button

...unless Lotus picks up their game.

#8 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:14

I think this will go down to a Vettel vs Alonso fight for the WDC and maybe Vettel will come out on top. Very difficult to say. But both these driver show a lot of determination to win that WDC and has been collecting some points that they shouldn't have had. And the teams are big teams used to being in the WDC and WCC fight. Then there is Kimi. He has the skills and the nerves to win a tight WDC fight, but I think the Lotus Renault team might not be up for it. They need that slight improvement. I get some feeling of 2003 here where Kimi made a great challenge with a McLaren that was pretty good but not as good as the best car. If they are in the development race and not getting behind he has a chance too.

Then there is the mystery of McLaren. I think McLaren has been the best car recently. But Button and Hamilton are up and down and haven't yet been so consistent. They need a second half of the season that is more perfect than what they have shown so far. I wonder if the drivers will deliver. Seeing Button cruising around at Spa, well if they have found something really good in the car he will enjoy the next races and show consistency and will be right in the fight with the others. As might Hamilton.

The next races will be very interesting. Will Webber find his form and get his campaign back on track? Have McLaren found a big advantage and will both drivers have a good race at the same time? Will Lotus Renault be as good as so many have said it is or has the time come when the big teams are finding those extra tenths?

Guessing Vettel. Hoping for Kimi. That would be epic.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 03 September 2012 - 23:29.

#9 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:22

I think this will go down to a Vettel vs Alonso fight for the WDC and maybe Vettel will come out on top. Very difficult to say. But both these driver show a lot of determination to win that WDC and has been collecting some points that they shouldn't have had. Then there is Kimi. He has the skills and the nerves to win a tight WDC fight, but I think the Lotus Renault team might not be up for it. They need that slight improvement. I get some feeling of 2003 here where Kimi made a great challenge with a McLaren that was pretty good but not as good as the best car.

I think McLaren has been the best car recently. But Button and Hamilton are up and down and haven't yet been so consistent. They need a second half of the season that is more perfect than what they have shown so far.

The next races will be very interesting. Will Webber find his form and get his campaign back on track? Have McLaren found a big advantage and will both drivers have a good race at the same time? Will Lotus Renault be as good as so many have said it is or has the time come when the big teams are finding those extra tenths?

Guessing Vettel - hoping for Kimi. That would be epic.

You're experiencing the "you're as good as your last race" syndrome. Lewis has maximised the potential of that McLaren at all but one or two occasions this season. If McLaren can maintain a car advantage, I definitely expect them to take the WCC and maybe the WDC if both drivers are able to outscore Alonso on a consistent basis.

#10 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,818 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:23

Now that Jenson has got a handle on the car, and hoping that the McLaren team have sorted out their issues, I'm confident that he will be very strong for the rest of the season.

I'm not sure if it will be enough for the WDC, but it should be close.

#11 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 1,802 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:30

I expect it to be Alonso vs Vettel, with Raikkonen (consistency, mental toughness) and Hamilton (great car) having a good shot.

Webber is just painfully mediocre apart from his 2 great wins, about Jenson - I think Whitmarsh should quit smoking crack.

#12 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,567 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:31

You're experiencing the "you're as good as your last race" syndrome. Lewis has maximised the potential of that McLaren at all but one or two occasions this season. If McLaren can maintain a car advantage, I definitely expect them to take the WCC and maybe the WDC if both drivers are able to outscore Alonso on a consistent basis.

No, I am not. And I don't think Lewis has maximised anything. I have seen his twitter.

#13 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:33

No, I am not. And I don't think Lewis has maximised anything. I have seen his twitter.

Right, cause that explains a lot. :rolleyes:

Hint: Watch the races.

#14 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:43

What does his twitter account have to do with him getting the most out of his car?

#15 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 23:46

Let's see, Sebastian or Kimi

Dark horse of impossisiblity: Perez.

:D

#16 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:56

Alonso, vettel, hamilton. the rest are a million to one.

#17 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:10

Alonso, vettel, hamilton. the rest are a million to one.

Have you read Terry Pratchett? There's a theory that one in a million happens nine times out of ten.

#18 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:16

Just Fernando and Vettel in the end.

#19 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:37

Alonso. Driven superbly this year and has not put a foot wrong.

Alonso will win in Monza and Singapore and furtheron score consistently in the remaining races. Button, Hamilton, Raikkonen and Vettel will continue to take points off each other, while it appears, that Webber has become a 6th place or 8th place driver again.

Advertisement

#20 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:26

If I can focus on who won't, Kimi, unfortunately.
Car's too slow.

#21 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:01

Going by the car it has to be Hamilton or Button as the McLaren dominated the last 2 races.

#22 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:57

My preference would be

1. Kimi
2. Alonso
(indifferent)

but I think it will end up like this

1. Alonso
2. Kimi
3. Vettel
4. Hamilton
5. Webber
6. Button

...unless Lotus picks up their game.

My preference would be also Alonso 1st but I also think it'll end up with Kimi second and Vettel third.

#23 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,598 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:56

Hamilton not,Button not for sure... even if they have the fastest car until the end i am telling... not gonna happen.

Raikkonen not too,his team like a whole has still to learn how to win a race.

Vettel/RedBull,with a very fast car he knows how to do poles/wins combos,he has more chances then the people above.

Alonso has already one hand on the trophy.

#24 matt72

matt72

• 24 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:12

I'm going to go with Lewis, for some reason I just expect him to take it to another level from Monza on wards. Other planet kind of level. I don't know why, probably just blind loyalty.

Well it's been 5 years now, but I think that I have finally started to lose my blind loyalty, between the situations that have been completely out of his control and the obviously far from settled matter of his contract for next year, there's too much mess for Lewis to get any momentum into a title charge, I think as hard as he'll try he won't catch Fernando, I think boringly it will be Vettel again, nothing against him but I think Red Bull will come back on song, Alonso and Ferrari will drop off their fantastic streak of form at least for a couple of races and Kimi, JB, Hamilton etc will take points off each other.

I actually don't dislike Vettel, he seems like a funny character, but for some reason his and Red Bulls successes just doesn't float my boat the same way as Alonso or Hamilton or even JB and Kimi.

#25 Andromeda

Andromeda

• 464 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:23

Would be nuts to think Alonso wouldn't take the title this year. But if McLaren and the drivers become more consistent Hamilton or Button can definitely wipe out Alonsos Lead. McLaren easily have the fastest car on the grid at the moment but if they don't capitalize on it then they might as well acknowledge defeat to Alonso and Ferrari now. To be honest I'd be surprised to see a non McLaren win at Monza (McLaren have probably proven they have the best low downforce setup on the grid from Buttons performance in Belgium) can't really rule out Vettel either he is Alonso closest rival at the moment but I really don't know how this would turn out at the moment since Ferrari and Red Bull are inferior to McLaren at the moment. Its still a 3 way fight between the teams as far as I see it.

Still too early to say who would take the titles

Edited by Andromeda, 04 September 2012 - 07:23.

#26 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:33

Vettel, the RedBull is going to be consistently better than the Ferrari and the points gap has been cut massively after the weekend.

Id obviously like to see Lewis take the title but sometimes its just not your year.

#27 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:37

I started to see some pattern of 2007...looking at how kimi hassle his car in belgium that did not hv straightline speed, and drag it all the way to 3rd guaranteed that kimi is on top form as he always did in 2nd half of the season~~ If lotus didn't screw up too much on kers failure, strategis, setup etc, i think kimi will stand a chances~~!!

If not i think vettel will just walk away again...as i believe lewis ' form will drop as usual in 2nd half of the season regardless on what kind of car is on his hand~~

#28 wift

wift

• 225 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:29

At the moment it seems like the biggest threats for Alonso are Vettel and Raikkonen who are racking up points steadily. The Mclaren drivers on the other hand are very inconsistent but when things are clicking they can win races.

Last 5 races

Alonso - 78 points
Raikkonen - 76 points
Button - 56 points
Vettel - 55 points
Webber - 53 points
Hamilton - 29 points

#29 Oho

Oho

• 11,808 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:38

I think it conceivable that Räikkönen will take the title without a single win to his name, aah the howls of injustice, especially I suspect from the red corner, on this forum should that happen....

#30 keiichi

keiichi

• 527 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:55

I think it conceivable that Räikkönen will take the title without a single win to his name, aah the howls of injustice, especially I suspect from the red corner, on this forum should that happen....

I don't think he can take the WDC without having a win or two. Anyway, I think the title might be between Alonso, Raikkonen and Vettel. Hamilton hasn't been consistent enough, truth be told, mostly due to lack of luck, but if he can get his act together he definitely stands a chance.

In my view it's a bit to late for Button, and Webber I just don't see it happening, but you never know.

Being an Alonso fan the one that most worries me right now is Vettel.

Edited by keiichi, 04 September 2012 - 08:55.

#31 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:09

The way I see it the 6 contenders all have a realistic path to glory:

Alonso - Championship leader, it's a small lead but any lead is huge when you have a season like this where a different driver/car is winning every race and it's so unpredictable. To win the title Alonso needs to finish all the remaining races on the podium and he is easily capable of this.

Vettel - Considering he has only won one race all reason he is closer to the championship leader than he has any right to be. Is superb in race conditions but is handicapped by the Red Bull being such an inconsistent qualifier. To win the title he has to strong together some front row qualifying positions, this will be tough.

Webber - Like Vettel it is incredible how close he is to Alonso. Has been so inconsistent. To win the championship he somehow needs to get the title lead and then defend it, very tricky.

Kimi - He rivals Alonso as Mr Consistent this season, but he has a 30-40 point gap to make up and two red bulls to overtake, actually needs to start winning now, which is possible as the Lotus has great race pace and overtaking is pretty easy at all the remaining tracks (apart from maybe Singapore).

Hamilton - He is the one driver in the field who I think is capable of winning 3-4 races in a row, the car is good enough and he is good enough. He is going to be immense around places like Singapore and Abu Dhabi. But... has to stop shooting himself in the foot. The title is there to be won if he wants it enough.

Button - Like Webber, he is much too inconsistent. I won't say he can't win the title, but it's unlikely.

#32 Dunc

Dunc

• 919 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:33

I'd like it to be Button because the comeback he'd need to make in the second half of the season would be epic. Or Webber, because it would be great to have a seventh WDC out on the grid.

Gut feeling though tells me it will be Alonso. The only person I think will realistically challenge him is Hamilton. Dunno why but I just don't think Vettel will do it this year.

Kimi has been awesome this season but he hasn't won a race yet and if he was going to be WDC this year he would have done by now. Realistically, I think this season will be a warm up for a major title push in 2013.

#33 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:37

I don't see why people are saying Kimi will do it considering he (nor Lotus) have won a race this year. He needs to score big points, and just getting podiums won't be enough for him. I know he has fanatical fans, but come on!

#34 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:38

Vettel - Considering he has only won one race all reason he is closer to the championship leader than he has any right to be. Is superb in race conditions but is handicapped by the Red Bull being such an inconsistent qualifier. To win the title he has to strong together some front row qualifying positions, this will be tough.

Not really considering he should have 2 wins and lost 32 points to Alonso on a mech DNF in Valencia.

I set up for this season to root for Seb to 3-peat since I believed there was no chance Kimi would be able to fight for the championship in his first year back. That he is only 33 points behind is amazing and at this point I'm rooting both equally to win it.

The way I see it, Alonso, Vettel, Kimi and Hamilton are the 4 guys that will fight for the title. I think Button is just too far behind even though Mc looks the best atm and Webber shouldn't be able to match Seb at the 2nd half.

First one I see dropping out is Lewis even though he'll probably have the best car underneath him. Just mistakes from both him and the team when it counts and he won't be able to claw the gap back.

Then probably Kimi, he's been extremely consistent but Lotus seems to be always missing something.

The way I see it it will be between Seb and Alonso then. I predicted Vettel to win it before the season and I'm sticking with it, I'm fairly sure it will come down to the last race.

Vettel > Alonso 10-15 back > Kimi 20 > Ham, Web, But 15-40 points back

#35 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:47

The way I see it the 6 contenders all have a realistic path to glory:

Vettel - Considering he has only won one race all reason he is closer to the championship leader than he has any right to be.

WTH that means?

#36 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:47

I think despite McLaren having the fastest car they won't win it. Webber hasn't even stood on the podium apart from his two wins. So in my opinion it's between Vettel, Raikkonen (if he finally wins a race) and Alonso.

Having said that, we'll probably read this thread again in November with a McLaren 1-2. :p

#37 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:51

Vettel's gonna win, as the Ferrari's good luck isn't going to last all season and Kimi's team doesn't seem to be improving in the organization, reliability, and race strategy departments.

#38 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:01

I'd go with Hamilton if there wasn't a cloud hanging over his head making things just happen out of nothing.
- pole at Spain, no fuel gets DSQed from qualifying,
- wins Canada, taken out at Valencia;
- team brings upgrades to Germany, punture and DNF;
- wins Hungary, taken out at Belgium...

#39 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:02

I wish - Kimi!
I think - Alonso.

Advertisement

#40 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 13:43

I'd like Kimi or Lewis to win it but I think it will be Vettel or Alonso

#41 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:11

Just looking at the circuits we have left (and disregarding stuff like car development):

Italy - Monza is going to be so tight. Will be nip and tuck between McLaren, Ferrari and Red Bull. Lotus might be a bit behind.

Singapore - Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel all own this place. Track should suit McLaren, Red Bull and Lotus. Lotus might come into play if tyre wear is an issue, similar to Hungary.

Japan - Going on high speed tracks so far, McLaren should be hard to beat here. Button and Hamilton both like the track. Red Bull and Lotus won't be far behind though.

Korea - Really don't know about this, reckon Red Bull and McLaren will be very strong here?

India - See Korea.

Abu Dhabi - Hamilton and Vettel are the kings of this track, expect them to dominate.

USA - No info.

Brazil - Red Bull and Alonso are usually very strong here. Fancy Lotus to be good as well.

#42 Rajdeep

Rajdeep

• 67 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 14:52

IMO, the WDC will need 260+ points this year. So the top guys need the following at a minimum:

Alonso - 4 podiums and 4 other top 5 finishes
Vettel - 8 podiums
Webber - 8 podiums including wins
Raikkonen - 8 podiums including wins
Hamilton - 8 podiums with at least 2 wins
Button - 8 podiums with at least 4 wins

Alonso looks best placed and that's what I hope!

#43 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 15:25

IMO, the WDC will need 260+ points this year. So the top guys need the following at a minimum:

Alonso - 4 podiums and 4 other top 5 finishes
Vettel - 8 podiums
Webber - 8 podiums including wins
Raikkonen - 8 podiums including wins
Hamilton - 8 podiums with at least 2 wins
Button - 8 podiums with at least 4 wins

Alonso looks best placed and that's what I hope!

bullshit , wdc will be 230-240 maximum

#44 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 15:36

If Alonso keeps going on his current average points per race he will finish the season around the 270 mark, I think 230-240 is far too low an estimate.

#45 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:13

Alonso. McLaren looks dangerous however, they turned a corner between Germany/Hungary and Button kind of likes the car. Two very different tracks and they dominated. Red Bull has never quite looked like doing that thus far, but Vettel is the best at all these boring-as-bat-**** modern tracks.

#46 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 17:37

bullshit , wdc will be 230-240 maximum

Very constructive.

#47 Crossmax

Crossmax

• 1,334 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 19:12

If Alonso keeps going on his current average points per race he will finish the season around the 270 mark, I think 230-240 is far too low an estimate.

But he probably wont. The Buttons, Hamiltons, Grojeans, Räikkönens and Vettels will make sure that Alonso will not be able to maintain his average point scoring for the remainder of the season I am sure. Also, as the season nears the end, engines will be more marginal and more DNFs can be expected. I would guess the winner ends up at approx 240-250.

#48 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 19:35

I don't see why people are saying Kimi will do it considering he (nor Lotus) have won a race this year. He needs to score big points, and just getting podiums won't be enough for him. I know he has fanatical fans, but come on!

Sure, you can think in that way. But it's mathematically still possible. Kimi can win the 2012 title without a single win.

#49 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 19:54

Will be between Alonso and Vettel in the end imo.

Being a Vettel-fan myself i think he's in a good position now because after Monza come a lot of tracks that should suit him.

Edited by BenettonB192, 04 September 2012 - 19:54.

#50 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,516 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 22:03

Not Alonso. He has been too lucky, and he is going to run out of it. Spa was first call.

Edited by Baddoer, 04 September 2012 - 22:05.