Photo

The Fenman Classic 2012

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RC162

RC162

• 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:08

Here's just a few pics of the Fenman Classic held near Downham Market in Norfolk last Monday. Nice little country event that is well attended and caters for all motorcycle tastes. The village of Wimbotsham is closed off for the day with only bikes allowed in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:27

Nice photos :up: love that bike in 2nd shot nearest camera, do you/anyone know what it is?

#3 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:51

Nice photos :up: love that bike in 2nd shot nearest camera, do you/anyone know what it is?

Its a customise Panther .

#4 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:20

Bet it once sat in Pride and Clarkes Brixton Showroom. Thanks for the pics.

P&C's series of shops on Stockewell Road, painted as they were in a garish red, always fascinated me.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 04 September 2012 - 09:29.

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 15:46

Thank you, now you have said it I can see its a Panthers head on tank. :blush:

#6 tonyed

tonyed

• 982 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 16:45

Thank you, now you have said it I can see its a Panthers head on tank. :blush:

2 for 1 at 'Specsavers' :smoking:

I remember my first trip to Pride and Clarke to buy a fairing. had to go for the cheapest as I was still at school and running three women and a racing team was stretching the wages from two nights serving at the local Chippy and pimping the three women out to the local University Toffs, plus of course the ill gotten gains from drug and gun running (Cambridge was a hard city in the late '60s).
It was a veritable cornucopia, as good as Lewis ‘Levvers’ where I got my first Aviakit one piece racers (one of many), or Reads of Leytonstone (was it Leytonstone?) where I would stop on the way back from Brands to buy replacement clipons etc after an off track excursion.
There was another place in the Leyton area that sold second hand parts (George Clark was it? quite a large stock of stuff). Got a Dominator wheels with ally rim for my Aerial Arrow racer and many other bits.
All luverly places, don’t get them now, unless you visit Cambridge Motorcycles or Bike Breakers as was.
Locally to me is Black Bank Motorcycles a similar sort of place. I must drop in and see if they have a ‘wafflenut’ for my prewar four valve underhead cam three cylinder radial oil cooled Anzani.
In the 60s there was an emporium down East Road called ‘Greasy Jacks’. You could get anything there. The only time he let me down was his inability to provide a new Arrow frame one day when I’d torn the forks off mine whilst ‘interfacing’ with the earth bank at Paddock Bend. He eventually went out of business when he was caught doing an MOT over the phone for a caller. Turned out to be the local Old Bill who were residing at the Cambridge ‘Pig Sty’ which was then and I believe still is only approx 200 yards from Greasys.

#7 Robin127

Robin127

• 508 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 23:10

.....or Reads of Leytonstone (was it Leytonstone?) where I would stop on the way back from Brands to buy replacement clipons etc after an off track excursion.
There was another place in the Leyton area that sold second hand parts (George Clark was it? quite a large stock of stuff).......

Leytonstone High Road I think it was, pretty sure Clarks was there too. Before the M25 opened it was our usual route to Brands (from South Herts), round the North Circular then down the High Road to Stratford and the Blackwall Tunnel. From the top of the road to the tube station at Stratford we once counted 48 Kebab shops, a distance of about 3 miles if I remember correctly. It was quite a colourful road to drive down although it always gave me the impression that if we stopped at one of the many traffic lights for too long someone would nick the bikes off the trailer. :p

#8 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 23:36

Blimey, Pride and Clarke! Remember them well. I saw an ad in Exchange and Mart for a new 250 Panther with Villiers 4T engine in (I think) 1967 and I bought one on the drip with my mum signing as guarantor, I think I put down £50 deposit and paid £5.10s a month for 2 years, a princely sum for an apprentice car mechanic just discovering the delights of alcoholic beverages and birds. It was sent on the train and I picked it up from the local station totally intact and covered in brown paper and string. Try doing that nowadays! All spares for the Panthers were available from Phelon and Moore of Cleckheaton who bought the rights to the Panther marque, I believe. Happy days.

#9 ancient

ancient

• 30 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 16:27

Blimey, Pride and Clarke! Remember them well. I saw an ad in Exchange and Mart for a new 250 Panther with Villiers 4T engine in (I think) 1967 and I bought one on the drip with my mum signing as guarantor, I think I put down £50 deposit and paid £5.10s a month for 2 years, a princely sum for an apprentice car mechanic just discovering the delights of alcoholic beverages and birds. It was sent on the train and I picked it up from the local station totally intact and covered in brown paper and string. Try doing that nowadays! All spares for the Panthers were available from Phelon and Moore of Cleckheaton who bought the rights to the Panther marque, I believe. Happy days.

oh dear oh dear panthers. As a panther owner let me help you phelon and moore were the makers of panthers from 1904 till they closed in the 60s,I forgive you.he made a nice job of the panther in the picture,