Photo

Ferrari F2012 - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4052 replies to this topic

#2151 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:54

I admire Alonso´s qualities as a driver, but you can´t say that he´s often disadvantaged on the "luck-front". So imho he shouldn´t overuse this topic too much.;)

Well, if you look at it. Grosjean crash, suspension defect in Monza can be considered bad luck. Nobody doubted that Hamilton was unlucky in Japan.

Advertisement

#2152 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:16

I think it's quite close between Ferrari and McLaren this weekend as it was in Japan. Red Bull I fear is out if reach but not as far ahead as last weekend.

That said, Alonso didn't get a clean lap on the options.

#2153 tmprikol

tmprikol

• 48 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:26

When I watch Alonso's on-board his car looks like it is about to take off in those fast corners

#2154 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,672 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:32

We have good pace in the long runs with both tyres. Positive Friday, let's hope it's carry over to Qualifying and the race.

#2155 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:37

We have good pace in the long runs with both tyres. Positive Friday, let's hope it's carry over to Qualifying and the race.

:up:

How did his pace compare to JB and SV?

#2156 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:42

I guess we can forego the usual Friday funeral but it's hard not to suspect that RBR have something in reserve which will likely show up about 3 minutes before the end of Q3 tomorrow when Vettel pulls a lap .5 faster than anyone else. Still, if Alonso can match the McLarens this weekend it would be reasonable and then you never know - Vettel might break down . . .

#2157 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:56

Hate to say, but I think they were simply running on a little less fuel than others. Alonso was making some obvious mistakes yet still setting respectable times.

Either that, or the car is THAT good, and now that they cannot afford to be on the defensive anymore, they have stopped with their "easy" approach from before.

#2158 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:01

The car is much better than in Japan, not a match for RB over one lap, but competitive over a long run. Wonder why Hamilton and ALonso couldn't match their FP1 times in FP2 on the soft. Was it down to the more fuel or did the track just get slower?

#2159 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 703 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:24

:up:

How did his pace compare to JB and SV?

Jenson was the fastest on the long runs, follow by Massa Alonso and Vettel, but it was very close.

The car is much better than in Japan, not a match for RB over one lap, but competitive over a long run. Wonder why Hamilton and ALonso couldn't match their FP1 times in FP2 on the soft. Was it down to the more fuel or did the track just get slower?

Alonso was about to start his run with the supersoft when Perez stopped his car, so Fernando aborted that run. Later on he only improved 0.3 because of the traffic. He made a third try with the supersoft and he made his best FP2 time, but of course the tyre had a few laps by then.

It is not looking bad for the race, where the DDRS won't make such a difference. Also, it looks like there won't be a Sauber, Lotus or Williams in front of him tomorrow, but of course it is only friday.

Advertisement

#2160 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:30

Jenson was the fastest on the long runs, follow by Massa Alonso and Vettel, but it was very close.

Alonso was about to start his run with the supersoft when Perez stopped his car, so Fernando aborted that run. Later on he only improved 0.3 because of the traffic. He made a third try with the supersoft and he made his best FP2 time, but of course the tyre had a few laps by then.

It is not looking bad for the race, where the DDRS won't make such a difference. Also, it looks like there won't be a Sauber, Lotus or Williams in front of him tomorrow, but of course it is only friday.

Yeah, Alonso can find a tenth in the first sector compared to Massa and his second sector was hindered by an HRT where he lost maybe 2 tenths...

Overall I'd say the weekend has started in much better fashion than Japan.

#2161 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:37

Yeah, Alonso can find a tenth in the first sector compared to Massa and his second sector was hindered by an HRT where he lost maybe 2 tenths...

Overall I'd say the weekend has started in much better fashion than Japan.

I admire how one can guage how many tenths were lost from their screen on the other side of the world who has never driven an F1 car.

#2162 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:38

Okay, I know it all you are telling about, I wondered about the run completed on the soft tyre. Neiter him nor Lewis were able to set their times they compelted in FP1.

#2163 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,145 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:17

Awww yeah! Alonso is the man to beat in the race this weekend. I can feel it!

A good start to the weekend:)

#2164 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,672 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:18

From @andrewbensonf1

Interesting. Race sim avgs: Alonso 1:45.588; Massa 1:45.756; Button 1:45.797; Vettel 1:46.172; Raikkonen 1:46.368; Webber 1:46.461; Ham N/A

Not everyone was on the same type of tires of course.

#2165 FerrariAlonso

FerrariAlonso

• 409 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:23

From @andrewbensonf1

Not everyone was on the same type of tires of course.

Unfortuantely it hardly means anything. Ferrari were carrying less fuel in Suzuka and Singapure as well, so you need to be cautious.

#2166 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,774 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:27

Good to wake up and see that Friday went reasonably well on a track we expected to suffer at. Forza Ferrari!

#2167 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:27

Thank you :up:
Looks good, but I feel RedBull are playing with us.

#2168 gramsy1977

gramsy1977

• 212 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:28

Unfortuantely it hardly means anything. Ferrari were carrying less fuel in Suzuka and Singapure as well, so you need to be cautious.

In Singapore and Suzuka, it was pretty obvious we were not fast. On the contrary, I have a very positive feeling after today. Clearly, if not the race pace setters, we are up there. One lap pace? Should be okay as I don't think there will be any Saubers, Williams or even Mercedes among us.

#2169 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 974 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:31

I like waking up to news like this, hoping for a good race!!!

#2170 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 148 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:32

And of course quali will be a problem as always.

#2171 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,026 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:35

I hope atleast Alonso can push Vettel right to the end, maybe something gives away in that Bull. Its not hot, its not humid, tough weekend.

#2172 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,672 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:29

Some stuff from Rivola's chat.

-updates working so far ok.
-studying super drs, but it's hard to implement, he doesn't think we will see it soon. (I think he said they are working on it, but I'm not 100% sure).
-race pace good in both tyres.
-Felipe and Fernando share all the data and they work well together.
-Prediction for the race?, podium.
-They don't have rules for social media, they have chats with both drivers about the things they can publish (confidential info) but both drivers are mature enough to know what to do.
-Happy with Felipe's performance lately. He had bad luck in many races.

#2173 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:29

I admire how one can guage how many tenths were lost from their screen on the other side of the world who has never driven an F1 car.

And it is funny you should pick up on my post of the trillions such posts doing the rounds on this bulletin board...

And yes it was a guess. He didn't seem to lose that much time behind the HRT but there was hesitation and his and Massa's first sector times are there for everybody to see.

I think you should rather post something more constructive or better yet start praying to whomever it is that you pray to that McLaren haven't made a mistake of epic proportions by signing Perez. :p

#2174 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:37

Thanks kosmos.

#2175 VSeven

VSeven

• 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:39

I watched FP1 & 2. One thing I noticed and havent seen much talk about it was how the RB wing flexes close to the road as it goes through the high speed twisty sections. I thought this might be normal due to the roll effect on the car but after watching the Macs and the Ferrari its clear that the RB wing almost touches the ground as it goes through the fast left and right sections of the track. Anyone else see this?

#2176 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:42

- updates working so far ok

Music to my ears. :clap:
I salute Toyota and their WT. (well I will if India package works like a charm)
Speaking of which, was there anything said about that? I am surprised nobody mentioned it or asked about it as it has been rumoured for a while.

Edit: thanks Kosmos.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 12 October 2012 - 10:42.

#2177 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:50

And it is funny you should pick up on my post of the trillions such posts doing the rounds on this bulletin board...

And yes it was a guess. He didn't seem to lose that much time behind the HRT but there was hesitation and his and Massa's first sector times are there for everybody to see.

I think you should rather post something more constructive or better yet start praying to whomever it is that you pray to that McLaren haven't made a mistake of epic proportions by signing Perez. :p

I only picked up on it cos I opened up the latest page of this thread and yours was the last post, I just don't know how somebody can just throw a tenth here and a tenth there for wishful thinking of a faster lap time. We will see about that one ;)

#2178 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:56

If Fernando manages P3 in qualifying and outdrags Webber in the beginning he will surely win this race because even Massa was fairly close to Vettel on race pace in Japan (S1 there is about as Red Bull as you can get).

Unless someone takes him out, I think P2 is on for Fernando anyway.

#2179 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:58

If Fernando manages P3 in qualifying and outdrags Webber in the beginning he will surely win this race because even Massa was fairly close to Vettel on race pace in Japan (S1 there is about as Red Bull as you can get).

You would be mental to suggest McLaren won't be right there...

Advertisement

#2180 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:59

I only picked up on it cos I opened up the latest page of this thread and yours was the last post, I just don't know how somebody can just throw a tenth here and a tenth there for wishful thinking of a faster lap time. We will see about that one ;)

So you don't think he lost time to Massa in the first sector and that HRT hindered his lap? Come on man... It was plain for everyone to see. My estimate may be wrong but I don't see you puting forth a convincing argument to prove me wrong. Fact is he lost time in that traffic.

#2181 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:02

Yeah, let's be optimistic for once!

Other element of interest: on Thursday in the paddock, I've been told that @Renault Sport and RBR, they're still sh***ing themselves over the alternator issues.

Basically, it seemed to work well in Suzuka, but they're not a 100% sure it's fixed, even if their PR said otherwise.

Let's pray my friends.

#2182 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:04

You would be mental to suggest McLaren won't be right there...

McLaren and race pace don't match... But the key to the race win is P3 in qualifying.

#2183 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:08

McLaren and race pace don't match... But the key to the race win is P3 in qualifying.

I'd eat my hat if there isn't at least one McLaren ahead of Fernando. I have no doubt he can overcome them in the race, by which time, the Bulls will be well gone.

#2184 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:10

I'd eat my hat if there isn't at least one McLaren ahead of Fernando. I have no doubt he can overcome them in the race, by which time, the Bulls will be well gone.

Maybe. We have had to have cold showers in Quali after getting exited by FP...
Lewis could improve tomorrow.

I would love it if Fernando could split the bulls. Would be brilliant.

#2185 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:13

Maybe. We have had to have cold showers in Quali after getting exited by FP...
Lewis could improve tomorrow.

I would love it if Fernando could split the bulls. Would be brilliant.

Another thing to consider this weekend is Massa. He's looking quick so hopefully he can play a role. I'm a lot more confident in him atm.

#2186 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,588 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:47

Alonso not worried about times

"It's hard to say where we are compared to the others, because today, we focused mainly on ourselves, working this morning on a comparison of various ideas relating to car configuration and, in the afternoon on the tyres," he said. "We must wait until tomorrow to have a more precise picture of the situation.

#2187 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:57

So you don't think he lost time to Massa in the first sector and that HRT hindered his lap? Come on man... It was plain for everyone to see. My estimate may be wrong but I don't see you puting forth a convincing argument to prove me wrong. Fact is he lost time in that traffic.

Im not saying he didnt lose time, but simply throwing a 'it was 2 tenths there' is just nonsense. Nobody knows how much he lost there except Alonso himself. Massa burped halfway around his quick lap which threw his concentration momentarily and he lost .5 there....he lost time, and he lost 2 tenths are completely different.

#2188 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,774 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:37

More from Rivola. The interesting bits about FP:

"It was a very good day," he said. "The race pace looks pretty strong on the soft tyre, but I think also on the option tyre, the super soft, with the race pace it was OK. Obviously the tyre issue in terms of degradation and blistering here can be a problem, but I think that the situation is similar for everybody - and with the soft it looks like we are very, very competitive."

#2189 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 1,191 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:48

Ooooo :D

#2190 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:58

Whatever they've brought here in the way of upgrades seems to have catapulted them forward somewhat. It bodes well that the car is competitive in all sectors of this unusual track.

Hope the trend continues in India. I also keep reading about how impressed the journo's are with Vettel's fast lap which was set on 3 lap old rubber but Alonso set his fastest time on his 6th lap of the supersofts... I'm not saying that Ferrari will challenge for pole but it is worth considering.

#2191 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:05

Don't take the gain from the evos for granted, it might be something else, like the right setup or, for example, Red Bull (and McLaren?) not showing their real pace...

Good news nonetheless! Believe.

#2192 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,397 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:08

Im not saying he didnt lose time, but simply throwing a 'it was 2 tenths there' is just nonsense. Nobody knows how much he lost there except Alonso himself. Massa burped halfway around his quick lap which threw his concentration momentarily and he lost .5 there....he lost time, and he lost 2 tenths are completely different.

He said 'might' have lost two tenths. I dont see what the problem is. Its an estimate. You've really got nothing here.

#2193 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:52

This thread swings between absurd pessimism and absurd optimism. :lol:
A Vettel victory and Alonso P3 is what I'm limiting my "hopes" to this weekend. Anything above that will be a bonus.

#2194 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:55

This thread swings between absurd pessimism and absurd optimism. :lol:
A Vettel victory and Alonso P3 is what I'm limiting my "hopes" to this weekend. Anything above that will be a bonus.

I actually think Alonso can do better than P3 in the race. But hey, that's just me...

#2195 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,397 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:55

I want to win this one. Not sure we're gonna get as many chances to be this competitive in the final few races, so we've gotta make the most of it. The race pace looks as good as anyone.

#2196 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 13:57

I want to win this one.

What are you waiting for? Hop in the car and do the job then :D

Jeez

#2197 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,397 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 14:10

What are you waiting for? Hop in the car and do the job then :D

Jeez

I'm a little tired. I've this friend Fred, though. He'll be filling in.

#2198 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 14:13

It isn't often that Ferrari come out and say how competitive they feel, BEFORE a race. Hope it bodes well. I am just glad parts are working now, and hopefully they push on from here. They picked the right time to get these pieces to work.

#2199 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 14:23

Custom issues could hinder championship rivals in Indian GP

This could be a big stumbling block for the team...

Advertisement

#2200 rsaca

rsaca

• 351 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 14:24

I saw both practices, good thing of living in El Salvador haha, and let me tell you... The Ferrari looked very quick, I believe because of the combination of Fernando finding the right set-up from the beginning (unlike Suzuka) and the updates actually working.

Also, I don't have a doubt in my mind we can have podium and maybe even winning the race. Call me "delusional" but Red Bull's advantage is the DDRS. In the race, I believe Fernando can be on par with him (hopefully).

Ferrari has surprised most of us throughout the year. Why not this time as well?