Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:37

This is wonderful. Bravo Alex. :clap:

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:43

I recently read his book and you can't do anything but admire the man.

Well done Alex!

#4 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 15:59

I recently read his book and you can't do anything but admire the man.

Well done Alex!

Really great news. I had the privilege of interviewing Alex abou 8 years ago - a truly top bloke.

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 16:41

Brilliant! Excellent news.

#6 Stefan Schmidt

Stefan Schmidt

• 732 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:10

Good JOB! :wave:

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:18

Congratulations to Alex :clap:

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 18:53

what a man.

#9 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 457 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 19:25

what a man.

An inspiration !

#10 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 19:40

I am so pleased for him. I met him a few times and he was always so charming. A really positive outlook on life after everything that happened on that fateful day in 2001. His book is fantastic too and, when I'm feeling really down, I get it out and read it and it makes me feel so much better afterwards. There's something infectious about his personality and outlook on life.

Congratulations Alex! :clap:

#11 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 19:53

:up: Well done.

#12 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,729 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 20:21

Very well done Alex. :clap:

#13 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 20:25

Very well done Alex. :clap:

....and at Brands Hatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 20:51

One of my genuine all-time heroes, he was already an inspiration to me and I didn't think there was much more that could top how he lives his life, but this is another superb uplifting achievement.

I will make sure that if my children ever ask "who do you admire" or "who is your hero?", that they know of Zanardi.

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,247 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 21:10

Continuing to inspire...

One of the true greats of our generation.

#16 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 21:43

Olympic Gold and at Brands Hatch too !!

An inspiration to future generations :clap:

PAR

Just brilliant. Can't find a link to the interview. Help!

#17 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,355 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 22:53

Alex ben fatto :up:

Who needs big horse power when arms will win you GOLD.

#18 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 977 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:17

An indomitable spirit. Well done, Alex.

#19 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:25

Alex it seems is succesfull at whatever he does. The track knowledge may have been usefull!! Congratulations.

Advertisement

#20 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 23:34

Well done to Zanardi for continuing to demonstrate the fire and spirit that makes him so admirable to so many. Jimmy Vassar reportedly promised him a car for Indianapolis in 2013 as a reward for the gold. That would be another wonderful chapter if it happens.

http://msn.foxsports...me-trial-090512

Zanardi said Vasser had called him Tuesday night and promised him a car for the Indianapolis 500 - if he won the gold. `'I'll have to call him back tonight and say `Jimmy. I got the gold medal!' `' he said. '''How about the car?'''

#21 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 00:34

:clap:

#22 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:40

What did the bloke who came second, Norbert Mossandl, have to say?

Every rider who hand cranked for 16km has my admiration. That requires bonkers endurance and skill.

#23 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:00

Alex competes Friday and Saturday too. This link has lots of featured photos:

http://www.london201...sandro-5502036/

Vince H.

#24 Piquet959

Piquet959

• 127 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:05

True indomitable F1 spirit. Go you good thing.

True guts and determination to come back to the top of another sport after such a horrific set back.

#25 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,667 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:22

Just brilliant. Can't find a link to the interview. Help!

Here's the interview:

http://paralympics.c...l-and-interview

#26 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:54

:up: :clap: :clap: :clap:

#27 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:12

Here's a map of the circuit used for the event - only a fraction of the race was on the motor racing circuit http://www.london201...h-o_Neutral.pdf

#28 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:13

I was at Brands yesterday and witnessed this - most humbling and uplifting, as were the performances of all the competitors, and many of them quite astonshing. Zanardi was a popular competitor and it was clear that quite a few spectators had been drawn principally by his presence - although the event was hugely well-attended.

The Italians surrounding us at the medal ceremony gave the most sweetly-sung group rendition of a national anthem I've heard. Interestingly, the Italians who were cheering him on, still call him "Aless" as he was always referred to before he went to US.

Zanardi competed in "H4" handcycle class - the "less impaired" division (yes, there lots even worse off...); his cycle is much simpler and rather lighter than some others - those riders who have to lie right back and have their legs supported have longer and more complicated machines because the transmission has to reach further back too.

For anyone who hasn't seen them, the machines have two rear wheels and a single driven and steerable front wheel; this it at odds with the more usual three-wheel recumbent which has a single driven rear wheel and two steerable fronts; this configuration of the handcycle seems to be mainly because the rider needs to pedal and steer with the hands, so the transmission is all mounted on what are in effect the very shallow front forks and the steering 'leans' as much as 'turns' so the hands and arms are not displaced too much from their normal 'pedalling' reach when cornering. Sitting or kneeling arrangements varied from rider to rider. Interesting machines.

Some of the most inspiring competitors of all were those on more-or-less ordinary bikes but with only one leg: mainly above-knee or just-below-hip amputees, so no prosthetic limb. One Spanish rider had only his right arm and right leg... Now, remember that most of circuit section included in the course (from near Westfield to the pitlane exit and through the paddock) was run anticlockwise, so each lap involved pedalling up Paddock Hill Bend which must have required a considerable pull each time the pedal stroke hit bottom dead centre...

Edited by 2F-001, 06 September 2012 - 11:16.

#29 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:43

I agree with your admiration of all the Paralympics competitors. But Alex Zanardi is "one of our own" and we know his background better.

#30 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:51

Duncan - I do hope it didn't come across that was belittling or playing down Zanardi's performance: it seemed every bit as creditable as the others (even if the intro to that interview was a little over-the-top!).

I just thought some of the other observations might be of interest - such as the machinery - and because I believe folks in the US are not getting as much coverage of the events as we are.

Edited by 2F-001, 06 September 2012 - 11:51.

#31 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:51

Hats off to you, Alex :clap:
In this piece from the Independent, he says that he will now be looking for a new challenge
http://www.independe...on-8106921.html
Good luck in whatever that might be - it's sure to be a success.

#32 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:46

Absolutely fantastic, well Done, Deep admiration :clap:

#33 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:50

Duncan - I do hope it didn't come across that was belittling or playing down Zanardi's performance: it seemed every bit as creditable as the others (even if the intro to that interview was a little over-the-top!).

I just thought some of the other observations might be of interest - such as the machinery - and because I believe folks in the US are not getting as much coverage of the events as we are.

No problem - I didn't think you were.

#34 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 18:09

I was quite emotional yesterday on hearing the news - took me straight back to Goodwood where I first heard about his accident.
The word "Legend" gets dished out far too often but is well deserved in this case, hats off Sir. :up:

#35 wolf sun

wolf sun

• 842 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 19:32

The word "Legend" gets dished out far too often but is well deserved in this case, hats off Sir. :up:

Well said! Alessandro Zanardi is a true hero, one of the few human beings to whom that term applies - and not just for his sporting achievements. I have nothing but the deepest respect for the man.

#36 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 22:12

Just as a matter of interest did he celebrate the win by doing a few donuts? Sort of his trademark!

#37 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 17:51

He's just won another Gold :clap:

#38 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 18:34

:love: :eek: That's incredible. To win world class series in two totally different sports, multiple times, is beyond belief.

Someone who was thrown a challenge he did not deserve and rose to it. If he qualifies at Indy within a year. Wow. :clap:

The 45-year-old Italian made 45 appearances in Formula One following his debut in 1993 and competed at Brands Hatch when racing in F3000 early in his career, placing second, and then in the World Touring Car Championship later, placing third.

His more recent appearances in Kent came after he was injured in the American Memorial 500 Cart event in Germany in September 2001. A 200mph accident saw him lose both his legs.

As well as competing in top-level motorsport since his accident, Zanardi has also made a successful transition to hand-cycling, culminating in his London 2012 Games triumph today.

He won the men's Individual H4 Time Trial before lifting his bike above his head in celebration of a success that included the promise of a ride in one of motorsport's most famous events.

He said: 'I'm Alex Zanardi, I always have to come up with something at the end of a race - I have a bit of a big head.

'My great friend Jimmy Vasser called me last night and said if you win a gold medal I'm going to put you in a car for the Indy 500, so I will have to call him back tonight.

'I only collected a second place, a third-placed finish (at Brands Hatch) and to win I had to come back with a hand-cycle. It's an amazing feeling.

'I'm really, really happy for the result and I knew that this moment was going to bring a little bit of sadness as well.

'This is almost the last day of a great adventure and from Monday I will have to find something different, otherwise life will become a little boring.

'It's at the top of the scale with many other great moments I've been lucky enough to live.'

It's at the top of the scale with many other great moments I've been lucky enough to live
Alex Zanardi

Zanardi clocked 24:50 but had to watch his rivals finish before being certain of gold ahead of Germany's Norbert Mosandl (25:17) and Oscar Sanchez of the USA (25:35).

'That was the toughest moment; it was very hard to wait,' Zanardi added.

'I was a little bit emotional, because the prize was very high. I knew I could only do my best and I had to be happy.'

Zanardi played down his personal feat.

'Anybody can be an inspiration for each other,' he added.

http://www.london201...ch-triumph.html

He gets a mention in the big presses too.

Posted Image

via CNN.

Edited by Jimisgod, 07 September 2012 - 18:44.

#39 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 19:53

http://paralympics.c...cond-gold-medal

Advertisement

#40 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 00:12

He's just won another Gold :clap:

:clap: :clap:

#41 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 2,545 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:15

I was at Brands yesterday and witnessed this...

Thanks for that, Tony. Your story provides context.

#42 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 22:41

And a silver today in the team relay!

#43 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:07

Nothing about Alex Zanardi surprises me anymore but my admiration goes up with everything he achieves. If I had heros in my life I'm sure he'd be one of them :) His book is definitely worth a read and probably now needs another volume, or after Indy if he ever gets back there.

Regarding the Paralympics: I've just spent the last few weeks in Florida and could find no coverage on TV whatsoever. Quite strange for a country with such a sporting heritage.

Edited by alansart, 10 September 2012 - 18:08.

#44 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:49

Not gone unnoticed !!

http://www.metro.co....fter-criticisms

PAR

#45 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:52

Not gone unnoticed !!

http://www.metro.co....fter-criticisms

PAR

Unfortunately Metro is British rather than American.

#46 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,349 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:53

The Indy Stars Curt Cavin speaks with Zanardi about his real chances of racing in the Indianapolis 500:

http://www.indystar....xt|Indianapolis Sports|s

#47 byrkus

byrkus

• 1,011 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:22

It was 11 years ago today, when I was certain I saw another racer die on a circuit... :cry:

But what happened after that... :up: :up: :eek:

I must be glad to live in the same time as he is. A true modern legend.

#48 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 23:58

Alessandro Zanardi, a person always able to smile at life and give thanks for everything it has given him, has returned victorious from the latest Paralympics, having won three medals: a gold in the individual time trial class H4, another gold medal in the individual H4 (a 64 km race), and a silver in the medley relay.
These remarkable achievements were all accomplished with a very special handbike, developed largely in Dallara, with the aid of professionals and friends whom he has known for much of his life, since he began racing in the 1988 Formula 3 championship with a car made in Varano.

The process of development closely mirrored that of a race car: once both he and his bike were scanned to produce a 3D model, there followed an in-depth study of aerodynamics using advanced CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics), aimed at the development the final form of the bike. With this stage completed, structural analysis using FEM methods (Finite Element Methods) are applied, as well as many laboratory tests. It was not at Alex’s request, but Dallara knows no other way to deal with any technological challenge except that with the greatest of passion.

A prototype mannequin was constructed during the development process to help determine the best driving position with the final design and first prototype ready in July, followed by the definitive handbike. The first and final "spin" Alex was only able to accomplish on the 1st August, it's appropriate to say "right first time", so much so that with his new "Dallara" Zanardi won the three medals in London. All this within the limits of the technical regulations which imposed constraints dimensional and functional, just like in a racing car.

The hard work created a unique prototype for Alex, almost a " Cinderella shoe ", but the construction methods developed can also give life one day at a different design, to create a model adaptable to all, even to people without disabilities who wish to participate in open air sports, which is undoubtedly new and exciting.

Mr. Dialma Zinelli, which among other things promised to be the first "test" of this hypothetical prototype, is in charge of aerodynamics in Dallara and directly supervised the project: "The hardest thing was to define the best riding position, with the correct height and a comfortable shell. But for each small change, Alex gave us very precise feedback due to the sensitivity he developed as a driver." Regarding the whole project, he added: "It's been fantastic, emotionally intense; the team was extraordinarily motivated and the driving force behind this enthusiasm was Alex."

Dallara's CEO, Mr. Andrea Pontremoli, added: "Alex was able to involve the entire company with dream and we are proud that the result rewards an exceptional person. It has also promoted the image of an Italy that works."

Similarly, Mr. Gian Paolo Dallara said "he is a unique person, enriching those who have the privilege of knowing him."

After this feat, Zanardi declared: "We can hold people in esteem simply because you believe in their merit, but when you add to this a relationship of great friendship like the one I have with Mr. Dallara and Mr. Pontremoli and with the many people who work in Varano, then the desire to do something special with them becomes very strong.

In my "youth" I drove a Dallara, in a Formula 3 Championship, and to race with a car made in Varano was the only way to be competitive, almost like running in a one-make formula.

I had to invent this new, exciting, adventure sport to make this tribute to my Friends and stir emotions that only a tough competition to win can give you and in the end you know, with great pride, the signature of everyone is metaphorically at the bottom of this small exploit. Dialma, Francesco, Giacomo, Andrea, and again Roberto, Carlo, Nicola, Fabrizio, Leonardo and all the people who designed and "tightened the bolts" of my fantastic machine were all on board with me during the races at Brands Hatch and share with me the merits of one of the greatest joys I ever felt in my career.

And I said to myself whilst waiting to lift the cup (which will be filled several times....) Dear friends, thank you! "

Zanardi serves as an example to inspire everyone, in particular young people.

A fantastic story for a great champion.

#49 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,069 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 00:09

The Indy Stars Curt Cavin speaks with Zanardi about his real chances of racing in the Indianapolis 500:

http://www.indystar....xt|Indianapolis Sports|s

The thing is firstly would the organisers grant him a liscence to race?
Would he qualify? I feel probably but would he really be on the pace, probably not. An really if he is not on the pace it is not worth him doing the event to run 20th,, or worse crash. 500 miles is a long way with a specially adapted car and the extra concentration required over that distance would be an accident waiting to happen.
IF he races again he should do something that is of a sprint nature, seemingly what he did with the Touring Cars.

#50 Gold

Gold

• 197 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 20:49

I'll never forget Zanardi's interview at Spa 1993, where he crashed at Eau Rouge, bounced off the armco on both sides,.. ripped the car to shreds. In the interview he said I have pain everywhere but I am a racing driver.