Photo

Silverstone History Repeats Itself

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:08

This may be old news to some but it's something I wasn't aware of but anyway it's certainly a case of history repeating itself at Silverstone.

In the recent World Series by Renault race, the start was dry but it was already raining up at the complex. The field managed a couple of laps but then leader Kevin Magnussen (yes, Jan's son) went off at Becketts and then no less than 13 cars went off at Luffield, most on on the same lap, with one or two joining them soon after.

Plus ca change - shades of 1975.

Edited by Barry Boor, 07 September 2012 - 15:09.

Advertisement

#2 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 736 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 15:48

This may be old news to some but it's something I wasn't aware of but anyway it's certainly a case of history repeating itself at Silverstone.

In the recent World Series by Renault race, the start was dry but it was already raining up at the complex. The field managed a couple of laps but then leader Kevin Magnussen (yes, Jan's son) went off at Becketts and then no less than 13 cars went off at Luffield, most on on the same lap, with one or two joining them soon after.

Plus ca change - shades of 1975.

Yes just like 1975 (and the 1978 International Trophy Race perhaps), fortunately no catch fencing involved though. I was at Luffield and it happened right in front of me. The rain was falling heavily and with the cars still on slicks, because the pit stop window (mandatory pit stops) wasn't yet open, the drivers either elected or were ordered to stay out. The results you have described.

Apart from a few broken wings and a dented wheel or two, no harm done.

#3 zakeriath

zakeriath

• 707 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 16:00

What year was this Barry?

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 16:22

This is the event, I think:

http://www.worldseri...cfirstrace.aspx

#5 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 16:53

Bit more " run off " these days

PAR

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 17:03

What year was this Barry?

Two weeks ago!

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 22:57

It's fundamental problem.

You build airfields on flat land. And to compound the problem they didn't build any drainage into the airfield perimeter road (not necessary on a secondary airfield with the wartime restrictions on materials and labour). So, when it rains the water simply doesn't drain away.

They have included drainage in any new sections of track, but ...