Kimi Raikkonen - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4052 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 14:46

Old topic closed due to technical reasons. Please remember that this thread is regarding Kimi Raikkonen. Please use the following threads for other discussion related to Raikkonen:

- Lotus E20 thread
- Romain Grosjean thread
- Raikkonen vs Grosjean thread

Thank you. :)

Advertisement

#2 LaoTze

LaoTze

• 133 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 14:49

Old topic closed due to technical reasons. Please remember that this thread is regarding Kimi Raikkonen. Please use the following threads for other discussion related to Raikkonen:

- Lotus E20 thread
- Romain Grosjean thread
- Raikkonen vs Grosjean thread

Thank you. :)

No. Thank you! :up:

#3 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 14:53

Good news: Alonso is 10th, behind Kimi.

Bad news: Kimi is only 8th on the grid.

He somehow needs to get on the podium tomorrow, not sure how though.

#4 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 14:53

good news he's 7th because of PDR penalty

#5 Oho

Oho

• 11,800 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 14:54

No 7th, Di Resta is droppped to 9th.

#6 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:17

It will be a difficult race tomorrow. Alonso is sure to pass Kimi but atleast he will not get ahead that easily as he would have otherwise. It could be good damage limitation. Kimi must try to finish ahead of Vettel somehow that would be the best scenario. I think a podium is out of reach.

#7 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:22

It will be a difficult race tomorrow. Alonso is sure to pass Kimi but atleast he will not get ahead that easily as he would have otherwise. It could be good damage limitation. Kimi must try to finish ahead of Vettel somehow that would be the best scenario. I think a podium is out of reach.

well I still think it's possible to reach the podium...

He will get passed Vettel, Ros, Msc and Mas

#8 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,711 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:33

Beating Rosberg, Schumacher and Vettel should be realistic, but I doubt he can manage Massa as well, 'cause the Ferrari is probably the fastest car this weekend.

....which could well mean Alonso comes through and ends up ahead of Räikkönen too.

#9 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:34

well I still think it's possible to reach the podium...

He will get passed Vettel, Ros, Msc and Mas

Its realistic that he beats those guys (it will require a ****up on Massa's part though) but Alonso will be very fast in the race. Ferrari are really quick.

Edited by beqa16v, 08 September 2012 - 15:34.

#10 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:35

Beating Rosberg, Schumacher and Vettel should be realistic, but I doubt he can manage Massa as well, 'cause the Ferrari is probably the fastest car this weekend.

....which could well mean Alonso comes through and ends up ahead of Räikkönen too.

massa and race pace naaaahhh...he's not that consistent!

#11 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:36

Its realistic that he beats those guys (it will require a ****up on Massa's part though) but Alonso will be very fast in the race. Ferrari are really quick.

yes I know but as I mentioned Kimi's race pace is perfect...

#12 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:38

Kimi's racepace was the strongest on fp2 and he has the fastest top speed so it won't be easy for Alonso to catch or overtake Kimi, it will be also very hot tomorrow that suits for Lotus very well (Kimi has been second three times when it has been as hot as now: bahrain,valencia and hungary)

#13 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:40

yes I know but as I mentioned Kimi's race pace is perfect...

I know but I'm still sceptical concerning these simulations. How many times it was the best during practices? Come the race day and its gone. lets wait and see.

Edited by beqa16v, 08 September 2012 - 15:40.

#14 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:41

Kimi's racepace was the strongest on fp2 and he has the fastest top speed so it won't be easy for Alonso to catch or overtake Kimi, it will be also very hot tomorrow that suits for Lotus very well (Kimi has been second three times when it has been as hot as now: bahrain,valencia and hungary)

any info on top speeds in FP3 or qualy?

Edited by beqa16v, 08 September 2012 - 15:41.

#15 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:43

yes lotus has been fastest...

RBR slowest except from HRT

#16 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:44

I know but I'm still sceptical concerning these simulations. How many times it was the best during practices? Come the race day and its gone. lets wait and see.

they've been fastest on race days too only the track didn't allowed them to overtake as easy as in Monza

#17 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:45

http://www.iltasanom...8497959925.html

Ruh roh.. "Should have had Ferrari or Mercedes engine"... "I expected worse"

#18 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 15:46

on qualy:

1.Kimi 342,7 km/h
2. D'Ambrosio 342,4
3.Button 342,3
4.Hamilton 341,6
------------------
12. Alonso 338,1
13.Massa 337,8

#19 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:13

on qualy:

1.Kimi 342,7 km/h
2. D'Ambrosio 342,4
3.Button 342,3
4.Hamilton 341,6
------------------
12. Alonso 338,1
13.Massa 337,8

Problem is that they are not getting up to that speed as quickly as others. There was a screenshot posted here with FP2 times and top speeds.On Sector 1 and 2 Lotuses were not in top 5 in top speed.

Advertisement

#20 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:14

http://www.iltasanom...8497959925.html

Ruh roh.. "Should have had Ferrari or Mercedes engine"... "I expected worse"

"We lost so much in the straight line speed, we would have needed to have a Mercedes or Ferrari engine to reach a better grid spot."

"It's good that we got even to that grid spot. I actually expected to have an even more difficult qualifying."

"I believe we will be stronger in the race than in qualifying by comparison."

Obviously he must be talking about acceleration speeds.

Edited by Wander, 08 September 2012 - 16:15.

#21 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:14

on qualy:

1.Kimi 342,7 km/h
2. D'Ambrosio 342,4
3.Button 342,3
4.Hamilton 341,6
------------------
12. Alonso 338,1
13.Massa 337,8

These top speeds are only in speed trap and with drs open; sadly, Kimi and DAM featured nowhere near the top in the other 3 places that Formula 1 official livetiming mentions speeds, while the quick cars like Mclaren, Ferrari and Mercedes feature in all 3 or 4 of them. So it's like last year's race where you could see some other cars featuring very high speed trap numbers but where nowhere as fast as Michael in reality; I'm sure you all well remember that Vettel with that miniscule top speed of his, had the legs on Alonso on the main straight and was right on his gearbox. So, I can't get too happy by just looking at the top speeds on speedtrap.

Edited by Babak, 08 September 2012 - 16:15.

#22 xman

xman

• 853 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:31

Yep, if Kimi says "should have had a Mercedes or Ferrari engine", I tend to believe him, not just some random speed traps...

#23 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 593 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:35

Kimi was only 16th in top speed ranking at the start-finish line. That means not only bad acceleration but also slow exit out of the last corner (too little downforce maybe?). Ferrari and Mercedes engines are supplied to less than 15 cars on the grid

Edited by beqa16v, 08 September 2012 - 16:36.

#24 Msaman

Msaman

• 119 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:38

These top speeds are only in speed trap and with drs open; sadly, Kimi and DAM featured nowhere near the top in the other 3 places that Formula 1 official livetiming mentions speeds, while the quick cars like Mclaren, Ferrari and Mercedes feature in all 3 or 4 of them. So it's like last year's race where you could see some other cars featuring very high speed trap numbers but where nowhere as fast as Michael in reality; I'm sure you all well remember that Vettel with that miniscule top speed of his, had the legs on Alonso on the main straight and was right on his gearbox. So, I can't get too happy by just looking at the top speeds on speedtrap.

Yeah but in the race it will be a bit different ,coz d limiting factor is the rubber.I am not saying that Mclaren are reachable but it should not be a problem to overtake Vettel and both Mercedes :p
Even they(Pirelli) said that there is almost no tyre wear I have my suspicions for that :) Just decent start and no SC will do d job ;)

#25 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:39

The Mercedes/Ferrari cars are able to run more wing -> faster on S2, better under braking and Parabolica and still fast enough on straights

Edited by tarmac, 08 September 2012 - 16:41.

#26 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:40

Not too bad result -thanks to other´s misfortunes-, terrible performance from Lotus. The team is hitting a low in form, let´s hope it´s just for these two very special circuits. Kimi´s still alive, but will need something better for the future.

#27 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 16:45

How about Kimi winning the race tomorrow and the other 5 title contenders finishing out of top ten? Who's with me? YEEEEH!!! C'mmon! LONG LIVE KIMI :clap: :clap:

Edited by Babak, 08 September 2012 - 16:45.

#28 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:03

Honestly, if the race finishes in the same order it is right now, I'll be happy; think of it this way, on a track where Lotus is really exposed, Kimi decreases the points gap to the points leader, with 7 races also remaining :)

Edited by Babak, 08 September 2012 - 17:04.

#29 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:11

Not too bad result -thanks to other´s misfortunes-, terrible performance from Lotus. The team is hitting a low in form, let´s hope it´s just for these two very special circuits. Kimi´s still alive, but will need something better for the future.

:up: Its going to be a long hard race tomorrow, it would be great if Kimi can make up a few places, not an easy task, but not an impossibility either, if he can outscore Fernando thats a bonus, if he can grab yet another podium that would be a gift from the gods under circumstances, a lot of things could happen at this track and with this grid, as always i'm hoping primarily for a trouble free getaway.

#30 rko281

rko281

• 698 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:15

Yep, if Kimi says "should have had a Mercedes or Ferrari engine", I tend to believe him, not just some random speed traps...

• Natalie Pinkham: Kimi, did you expect to qualify higher than 7th today?
  • Kimi Raikkonen: Not really.
  • *awkward silence*
  • NP: Not really?
  • KR: No.
 ;)

#31 RaikkonenZn

RaikkonenZn

• 152 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:17

• *awkward silence*
;)

Ahahaha - I love this man! Short and sweet from the Kimster!

#32 Lan

Lan

• 26 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:19

• *awkward silence*
;)

#33 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:31

Hah, always those huge sunglasses too.

I also think that this is probably the worst form Lotus has been in so far, but I hope and believe that it has a lot to do with the circuit. Things could turn much better again in Singapore. Kimi just needs to stay in contention here. Let's wait and see.

#34 RaikkonenZn

RaikkonenZn

• 152 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:35

What’s still the best thing about being a Formula One driver?
KR: For sure not talking to the media. I am not a big fan of b*llsh*t questions.

Q: So what kind of questions are you happy to answer?
KR: Such a question doesn’t exist! (laughs)

Haha, this is from his interview on the Formula1.com page! Kimi for President! Less BS more action!

Read the rest here: http://www.formula1....test Interviews

#35 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:37

This is for all the Finnish fans of Kimi - Any rumors surrounding Kimi's possible switch to McLaren with Heikki moving over to Lotus for the next season?

#36 Trust

Trust

• 5,153 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:39

Q: But the consequence is that now everybody is talking about closed cockpits? Do you have an opinion on that?
KR: I think this sport is dangerous and if you are not happy to take the risk then you should do something else. I am sure there are plenty of drivers who are willing to take the risk driving a Formula One car as it is now.

A few days ago I was attacked here when I mentioned canopies, but it's good to see that I guessed Kimi's opinion about them, which is more or less the same as mine.

#37 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:44

Haha, this is from his interview on the Formula1.com page! Kimi for President! Less BS more action!

:rotfl: :rotfl:

#38 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:44

This is for all the Finnish fans of Kimi - Any rumors surrounding Kimi's possible switch to McLaren with Heikki moving over to Lotus for the next season?

Q: You and the team seem to hit it off. Will you carry on into 2013?
KR: I am happy this year here - and for next year let’s see. In Formula One you never know. Things can change overnight. (laughs)

hmm

Edited by tarmac, 08 September 2012 - 17:45.

#39 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:46

A few days ago I was attacked here when I mentioned canopies, but it's good to see that I guessed Kimi's opinion about them, which is more or less the same as mine.

WTF? Did you press charges? I know a good lawyer...

Advertisement

#40 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:47

hmm

Kimi - Lovely as ever in dealing with uncomfortable questions. And IF ever there is a chance I hope he seriously considers McLaren's offer (in case Hammy leaves). Because I know that the only driver, apart from Hammy, they love over there is Kimi.

#41 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:48

Not really. The talk is more that there could be the first completely Finnish team forming. According to MTV3, Kovalainen's team is going to be either Caterham, Lotus or Ferrari and Kovalainen himself didn't deny possible negotiations. Oskari Saari speculated that there could be pressure from within the owners on Eric Boullier to look for alternatives to Grosjean because of his crash tendency.

Now that's a classic Kimi interview. Notice that he's also being very mysterious about where he's going to drive next season:

Q: You and the team seem to hit it off. Will you carry on into 2013?
KR: I am happy this year here - and for next year let’s see. In Formula One you never know. Things can change overnight. (laughs)

Q: Other teams desperate for results have no doubt been knocking on your door. What - and who - could lure you away? A bigger team with limitless resources? A bigger salary?
KR: I have no interest in talking about those things because one word about it would get hyped into many half true stories, so I’ll keep it to myself.

Q: What about a return to Ferrari? Are you ready to swap black for red?
KR: Same answer as before.

I think it's obvious that his management is also negotiating with a few different teams.

Edited by Wander, 08 September 2012 - 17:50.

#42 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 17:58

Kimi - Lovely as ever in dealing with uncomfortable questions. And IF ever there is a chance I hope he seriously considers McLaren's offer (in case Hammy leaves). Because I know that the only driver, apart from Hammy, they love over there is Kimi.

Anyway the chances that he has for a better team, actually are not bad; Look at the possibilities: Ferrari: instead of Massa; Mclaren: instead of Hamilton; and the one he's done once before and is the most probable to happen: Instead of Michael, to Mercedes.

Edited by Babak, 08 September 2012 - 17:59.

#43 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:01

Anyway the chances that he has for a better team, actually are not bad; Look at the possibilities: Ferrari: instead of Massa; Mclaren: instead of Hamilton; and the one he's done once before and is the most probable to happen: Instead of Michael, to Mercedes.

Mercedes is a big NO, NO. Lotus is a whhole lot more competitive than Mercedes and quite frankly I don't see that changing even for the next season.

#44 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:09

Mercedes is a big NO, NO. Lotus is a whhole lot more competitive than Mercedes and quite frankly I don't see that changing even for the next season.

Don't look at this year's performance; look at the people and resources of a team and the name behind it; Mercedes has all the ingredients of a successful team, I'm sure Mercedes' Kimi will score more than Lotus' Kimi next year

#45 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:11

Q: What’s still the best thing about being a Formula One driver?
KR: For sure not talking to the media. I am not a big fan of b*llsh*t questions.

Q: So what kind of questions are you happy to answer?
KR: Such a question doesn’t exist! (laughs)

:rotfl:

#46 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:14

"According to MTV3"

Pls do not...

(and to the original question - here in north only the closest friends of the man in question may know something. And when it comes to the man in question, propably the best friends of him are wandering in the dark like us. But if they were not - we're not the first ones to see the light. Which I respect :wave: )

#47 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:16

I was sitting at the Ascari grandstand today and it was very much noticeable that the Mercedes cars had better acceleration. Lotus didn't stand a chance tbh.

Then again, Raikkonen always performs better during race days. Fingers crossed for a better result tomorrow.

#48 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:18

Pls do not...

I know.

#49 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:23

:) Yes, he really can handle them.

#50 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:25

Don't look at this year's performance; look at the people and resources of a team and the name behind it; Mercedes has all the ingredients of a successful team, I'm sure Mercedes' Kimi will score more than Lotus' Kimi next year

they have proven more than once already that 2009 was a one-off.
The team is no good, hence why I dont believe any driver from the top 4 teams in the WCC would want to go there.