Photo

Kimi Raikkonen - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4052 replies to this topic

#51 alekhine

alekhine

• 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:33

Q: Other teams desperate for results have no doubt been knocking on your door. What - and who - could lure you away? A bigger team with limitless resources? A bigger salary?

KR: I have no interest in talking about those things because one word about it would get hyped into many half true stories, so I’ll keep it to myself.

Ha! So true and blunt

Advertisement

#52 rijole1

rijole1

• 632 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 18:34

...Now that's a classic Kimi interview. Notice that he's also being very mysterious about where he's going to drive next season:

I think it's obvious that his management is also negotiating with a few different teams.

I think too his answers here tell something is going on.
It may be negotiation tactics - force Lotus to give him a better offer next year - but who knows.
And his talk about - "should have had Mercedes or Ferrari engine"...
Anyway - I hope he doesn't go to Mercedes. Sure, they can be a big thing after couple of years but I get bad vibes from that team...

#53 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 19:10

I think too his answers here tell something is going on.
It may be negotiation tactics - force Lotus to give him a better offer next year - but who knows.
And his talk about - "should have had Mercedes or Ferrari engine"...
Anyway - I hope he doesn't go to Mercedes. Sure, they can be a big thing after couple of years but I get bad vibes from that team...

:lol: :lol: exactly as he said in his interview:

I have no interest in talking about those things because one word about it would get hyped into many half true stories, so I’ll keep it to myself.

Edited by Babak, 08 September 2012 - 19:11.

#54 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 19:31

Well, yes. But if he knew where he was going to drive for sure, he would just say it, you know. He could have easily signed already if there was only one option.

#55 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 20:18

More Monza...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 20:24

This is in autosport:
Kimi says:

we have the top speed but some cars pick up the top speed much faster than us, we have the drs and if we are close enough we can get good speed out of it- so hopefully here will be a bit more racing.

This is why overtaking people would be hard for Kimi; he'll get a good top speed if he's in the zone; but if he gets in the zone.

#57 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 20:31

This is in autosport:
Kimi says:

This is why overtaking people would be hard for Kimi; he'll get a good top speed if he's in the zone; but if he gets in the zone.

Basically, Lotus has (relatively) high DF but with long gearings. Red Bull otoh has high DF with short gearings. And (most) of the other teams have low DF with long gearings.

i.e.: Lotus has good topspeed, but due to higher DF/drag they have bad acceleration.
Red Bull has bad topspeed, but due to high DF/drag combined with short gearings they have good acceleration
Other teams have good topspeed and acceleration, but worse tyre management/stability/corner speed due to low DF

What the best balance will be, we'll find out tomorrow!

(There was a comment like: "We should be good in the race because of the DF we've got on the car")

Edited by F.M., 08 September 2012 - 20:34.

#58 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 20:50

This is in autosport:
Kimi says:

One cannot conclude either way. First people said just because some cars have high top speed it would be good for overtaking. Not necessarily, that should translate to sector time i.e. how quickly the cars reach the top speed. Again one cannot say worse acceleration is bad for overtaking. To overtake, first you must be quicker. Next, your sector time where the overtaking happens must be quicker. Then, depending on other factors (rev-limiter, tyre wear, etc.) you can decide one way or the other. So, it is difficult to conclude one way or the other. One thing I remember is during race pace simulation yesterday, Kimi's times were as good as anyone. That may or may not pan out to be true tomorrow. But if that happens, the first condition is satisfied, and from there the car characteristics and set-up choices may help him. People conclude so many things from a qualy session. But as we have seen many times this year, the race can be an altogether different beast.

#59 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 21:23

Basically, Lotus has (relatively) high DF but with long gearings. Red Bull otoh has high DF with short gearings. And (most) of the other teams have low DF with long gearings.

i.e.: Lotus has good topspeed, but due to higher DF/drag they have bad acceleration.

Red Bull has bad topspeed, but due to high DF/drag combined with short gearings they have good acceleration
Other teams have good topspeed and acceleration, but worse tyre management/stability/corner speed due to low DF

What the best balance will be, we'll find out tomorrow!

(There was a comment like: "We should be good in the race because of the DF we've got on the car")

I think the engine/gearing must have more to do with this than down-force. This is because much of an F1 car's down-force does not really kick in at lower speeds due to lack of air-flow.

Advertisement

#60 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 22:57

Yes, downforce doesn't really come to play early on with acceleration. It's all about power, gearing and traction. I'm sure Lotus are also low on downforce, otherwise they wouldn't reach those top speeds. Maybe gearing is a bit longer than with Mercedes teams, don't know, but surely the Renault still has a slight power disadvantage. Everything is pointing towards that.

But if they can get into the slipstream and to DRS zone, surely there should be chances to overtake. I think the Red Bull drivers are going to have more trouble.

#61 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 23:19

Yes, downforce doesn't really come to play early on with acceleration. It's all about power, gearing and traction. I'm sure Lotus are also low on downforce, otherwise they wouldn't reach those top speeds. Maybe gearing is a bit longer than with Mercedes teams, don't know, but surely the Renault still has a slight power disadvantage. Everything is pointing towards that.

But if they can get into the slipstream and to DRS zone, surely there should be chances to overtake. I think the Red Bull drivers are going to have more trouble.

That's a big "if"; remember Michael Schumacher/Alonso in the early laps of last year's race: Michael virtually had the top speed to jump 3 cars in one DRS move, but two laps after Alonso was overtaken by Seb, he could pull out substantial advantage in the corners/chicanes, so that Michael never came in one second distance of Alonso to use that top speed; the same thing will help RB drivers to put distance between themselves and the chasing pack who are all superior in the top speed department. Ofcourse those who also have good corner performance will be their nightmare (eg. Fernando and Paul Di Resta)

#62 byronbolscher

byronbolscher

• 242 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 00:05

Could the Renault engine lack torque? It would mean slightly slower acceleration, but on the upside the tyres don't have to put as much power down on the track which would mean less tyre wear on the rear (which Lotus has).

Edited by byronbolscher, 09 September 2012 - 00:06.

#63 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 00:17

Could the Renault engine lack torque? It would mean slightly slower acceleration, but on the upside the tyres don't have to put as much power down on the track which would mean less tyre wear on the rear (which Lotus has).

Very much possible, if not even likely.

#64 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 00:23

Very much possible, if not even likely.

No, from the positives of Renault engines are high torque (heard several times from BBC commentators in past years) which makes the cars using them have better acceleration coming out of slow corners. (ofcourse this acceleration obviously depends on more than only engine torque), lower fuel consumption, and engine drivability. But this track rewards horse power more than many other tracks. I just don't know about the engineering details.

#65 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,479 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 00:30

Some basics about torque and acceleration: http://danielmiessle...udy/horsepower/

It's not so much the torque as such but rather the gearing choice that's crucial. As we know from a few of Red Bull's showings of recent years.

#66 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 00:53

dunno if that was posted already but great video

#67 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:04

Well, yes. But if he knew where he was going to drive for sure, he would just say it, you know. He could have easily signed already if there was only one option.

I think the sudden presence of Robertson(s) in the paddock during the last three GPs, Monza included, is the most telling sign. Add to that the wording that Kimi used in the interview on the official F1 website.

You and the team seem to hit it off. Will you carry on into 2013?

"I am happy this year here - and for next year let’s see. In Formula One you never know. Things can change overnight."

http://www.formula1....12/9/13774.html

#68 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:42

:up: :up: :up:

Kimi Raikkonen visits Aubevoye Technical Centre
The Renault Aubevoye Technical Centre welcomed Lotus F1 Team driver Kimi Raikkonen earlier this week. The Flying Finn visited the test benches, where the new Renault Clio is being developed, and other facilities at the plant before driving the Alpine concept A110-50 and meeting Renault employees. The Lotus driver entertained various employees and guests.

Excellent Video. Honestly, I think Renault & Lotus have done the most amazing PR Job involving Kimi this whole year. Nice & logical marketing strategy, without boring and idiotic stuff going on... also, both Renault & Lotus PR department look like they are very good at organization & event Management. Good Job by them.

Some of the highlights for me regarding their PR work this year are:-

Kimi Raikkonen makes comeback with LotusF1 2012 interview (Nice and surprising way to interview)

#SEPANGSUNDAE THE ICE CREAM COMETH….
http://www.lotusf1te...th.html?lang=fr
Posted Image

Edited by BackOnTop, 09 September 2012 - 05:56.

#69 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:18

Don't look at this year's performance; look at the people and resources of a team and the name behind it; Mercedes has all the ingredients of a successful team, I'm sure Mercedes' Kimi will score more than Lotus' Kimi next year

Yeah, and when is that success going to come? It was going to be the dream team, because of Ross Brawn, the name, Schumacher, etc... Yet it's their 3rd year and they still haven't delivered. It's not even really their 3rd year since they just refurbished the former Brawn GP... Too many years and too little achievements.

I agree with the other forumer, If I was Kimi I'd stick with Lotus. Lotus/Renault have been having an ascendent trajectory while Mercedes is doing the opposite.

Either this or try to get into McLaren of course.

Edited by Creepy, 09 September 2012 - 06:18.

#70 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,778 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:42

It will be warmer today than yesterday. That's good news for us, I guess. We could see higher degradation for others.

#71 Menace

Menace

• 12,300 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:10

It will be warmer today than yesterday. That's good news for us, I guess. We could see higher degradation for others.

Bring on the heat!!! :up:

#72 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:12

That's a big "if"; remember Michael Schumacher/Alonso in the early laps of last year's race: Michael virtually had the top speed to jump 3 cars in one DRS move, but two laps after Alonso was overtaken by Seb, he could pull out substantial advantage in the corners/chicanes, so that Michael never came in one second distance of Alonso to use that top speed; the same thing will help RB drivers to put distance between themselves and the chasing pack who are all superior in the top speed department. Ofcourse those who also have good corner performance will be their nightmare (eg. Fernando and Paul Di Resta)

Under race conditions, traction will largely depend on tire conditions. So even if a car was very fast in quali, and has a powerful engine, if the tires are not in good condition, all that advantage is lost, and would likely be a sitting duck in the straights. That might be our strong suite in the race - i.e. hopefully the ability to keep the tires in better shape for longer than the others.

#73 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,250 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:15

My first reaction, through the first part of the clip, was yeah great video... than by the middle of it turned into: poor kimi, he must hate those obligations and is probably shattered at the end of the day of having to put up a smile for all those unknown faces all day long.

#74 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,250 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:24

I think the sudden presence of Robertson(s) in the paddock during the last three GPs, Monza included, is the most telling sign. Add to that the wording that Kimi used in the interview on the official F1 website.

You and the team seem to hit it off. Will you carry on into 2013?

"I am happy this year here - and for next year let’s see. In Formula One you never know. Things can change overnight."

http://www.formula1....12/9/13774.html

Only Ferrari, McLaren or RBR would do it for me really, with a huuuuge preference for McLaren, and very very mixed / pessimistic feelings about a return to Ferrari.
I'm not sure where it's going to go with RBR either actually, not sure they'll be back to title contenders as of next year already, might take them a bit longer. And i really don't think Kimi will be here for more than another 2 maybe 3 years before he quits.

I would be very disappointed with Kimi sitting in a Mercedes next year. They just don't seem like they know where they're heading with their car year after year.
And any other option like Williams, Sauber, etc... Why bother? Much better to stay with Lotus then and just go for it all the way.

Then, next, while just like all of you i've been very impressed with Kimi's form after a two year absence, still i don't think he's one of the driving forces on the transfer market today.
- As always, first, it would still be the cars and availabilities at any of the top 3 teams that decide the outcome of the game.
- Next i think, when it comes to drivers, it's the contract renewal of both Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa and Mark Webber with their resp teams that will decide everything.
But it's definitely not so that Kimi is SO hot that HE is the driving force that will decide how all parts of the puzzle fall into place.

So, my opinion, is that the Robertson's have well understood:
1 - Lotus did a great job this year, and Kimi had fun, but while it was the best they could get for a return to F1, it still no title material. Add the kind of awkward relationship with Boullier that mix.
2 - The non-renewals of either Webber, Massa or Hamilton with their teams might prove to be a great opportunity for their client (Kimi), especially as both his form and the car he was in have allowed for much more hype about his return and his abilities than they had ever hoped for.

Their presence at the last GPs probably won't be perceived very well by Lotus management, but hey, they're all businessmen and professionals and should know better.
I remain with one question, which maybe one of you "knows" the answer:

Which is the truth of these two scenarios?
a) Lotus and Kimi signed for two years with an option to quit after one year (meaning contract should in principal not be renegotiated if they decide to stick together, meaning the Robertson's presence really won't be appreciated by Lotus and Boullier...)
b) Lotus and Kimi signed for just one year with an option for a second, still to be negotiated, year (meaning i understand the Robertson's presence very well, and so should Boullier & Co.)

Edited by denthierry, 09 September 2012 - 07:45.

#75 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:26

Q: You and the team seem to hit it off. Will you carry on into 2013?
KR: I am happy this year here - and for next year let’s see. In Formula One you never know. Things can change overnight. (laughs)

Mercedes eyes ‘contingencies’ amid Hamilton rumours
http://www.f1zone.ne...-rumours/15591/

Although Kimi is not mentioned, i'm sure he's part of the contingency plan. 
I think Kimi Raikkonen & Mercedes AMG 2013 is a very big possibility if MSC retires & Hamilton extends contract with Mclaren.

The reason is quite simple really:

-Mercedes replaces one World Champion with another (big requirement for Merc management).
-Mercedes gets a really quick guy & 10 years younger.
-Nico is there for another 3 years, so get the balance age of both drivers perfectly.
-They can be rest assured that Kimi is bloody fast (he's currently beating both Mclaren's)
-Kimi has big contacts with Mercedes bosses (at one time Brawn was interested in him too)
-Kimi is Popular... like really really big Fanbase (even surpassing schumi in some asian countries)
-Kimi is already fighting for WDC in his comeback year, what more to say.

Mercedes is going to be in a very good situation with this deal... Paul Di Resta & Nico Hulkenberg are good choices too, but Mercedes needs high profile & high performance driver... and are not in a position to hope that PDR & Hulk will perform straight away. If they fail, then Mercedes is sunk for sure.

Sponsors will be more happy to have Kimi onboard than PDR & Hulk who are unknown quantity. Also, I think Mercedes will perform at a higher level than Lotus if Kimi joins the team... as Drivers make a huge difference in what the car can achieve. And Mercedes is frikkin rich, both money wise and in tech department.

Edited by BackOnTop, 09 September 2012 - 07:35.

#76 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:35

KR: I am happy this year here - and for next year let’s see. In Formula One you never know. Things can change overnight. (laughs)

I think Kimi Raikkonen & Mercedes AMG 2013 is a very big possibility if MSC retires & Hamilton extends contract with Mclaren.

-Mercedes replaces one World Champion with another (big requirement for Merc management).
-They can be rest assured that Kimi is bloody fast (he's currently beating both Mclaren's)
-Kimi has big contacts with Mercedes bosses (at one time Brawn was interested in him too)
-Nico is there for another 3 years, so get the balance age of both drivers perfectly.
-Kimi is Popular... like really really big Fanbase (even surpassing schumi in some asian countries)

Mercedes is going to be in a very good situation with this deal... Paul Di Resta & Nico Hulkenberg are good choices too, but Mercedes needs high profile & high performance driver... and are not in a position to hope that PDR & Hulk will perform straight away. If they fail, then Mercedes is sunk for sure.

Sponsors will be more happy to have Kimi onboard than PDR & Hulk who are unknown quantity. Also, I think Mercedes will perform at a higher level than Lotus if Kimi joins the team... as Drivers make a huge difference in what the car can achieve. And Mercedes is frikkin rich, both money wise and in tech department.

I think one key question is, would Kimi go to a team again where MSC could be part of the management/team? I think Maclaren is the best choice if he is in-fact on the move. In spite of their differences, I think Ron still has a soft-spot for Kimi, and feel they owe him a WDC.

#77 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:41

I think one key question is, would Kimi go to a team again where MSC could be part of the management/team? I think Maclaren is the best choice if he is in-fact on the move. In spite of their differences, I think Ron still has a soft-spot for Kimi, and feel they owe him a WDC.

So does Haug & Mr.Mercedes himself :)

Posted Image

I have a feeling Mercedes will be a better choice for Kimi than Mclaren. He's always been an underdog, and that's where he's the best. Mclaren, well, he's been there done that. Kimi's the type of driver that needs new challenges... he's brilliant at it. Ferrari utterly bored him because they always big talk about everything.

#78 denthierry

denthierry

• 1,250 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:51

Again, of all the so-called top teams, lotus included, despite their famous name i haven't seen ANYTHING in the last three years from Mercedes that makes me want to see my boy sign and drive for them. It may have been a bit of a (lucky) gamble, but Lotus have proven to be a much better choice and could very well be for next year as well!
Less than McLaren for sure, but better than Mercedes!

#79 dreamer

dreamer

• 576 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:58

Lotus is not the best car for this race and I hope that Kimi will have a good race, score good point and stay close to the other drivers that are still in the fight for the championship. Lotus will be stronger than this weekend in some of the other races so it's important to score good points here.

Advertisement

#80 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:58

- Next i think, when it comes to drivers, it's the contract renewal of both Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa and Mark Webber with their resp teams that will decide everything.
But it's definitely not so that Kimi is SO hot that HE is the driving force that will decide how all parts of the puzzle fall into place.

2 - The non-renewals of either Webber, Massa or Hamilton with their teams might prove to be a great opportunity for their client (Kimi), especially as both his form and the car he was in have allowed for much more hype about his return and his abilities than they had ever hoped for.

Massa? That Massa gets renewed or not decides other things? Massa is a driver without a contract for next year. He is just like any other driver, nothing guaranteed for next year. He is no force whatsoever.
Webber has already extended his contract.

Edited by SpaMaster, 09 September 2012 - 08:00.

#81 DrF

DrF

• 1,447 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:00

Under race conditions, traction will largely depend on tire conditions. So even if a car was very fast in quali, and has a powerful engine, if the tires are not in good condition, all that advantage is lost, and would likely be a sitting duck in the straights. That might be our strong suite in the race - i.e. hopefully the ability to keep the tires in better shape for longer than the others.

If it's really hot then he might beat the Mercs and maybe get Vettel with DRS. Alonso will cruise past him so fifth is the best he can hope for... unless Massa's been ordered to take Lewis out on the first corner!

#82 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:08

Mercedes eyes ‘contingencies’ amid Hamilton rumours
http://www.f1zone.ne...-rumours/15591/

Although Kimi is not mentioned, i'm sure he's part of the contingency plan. 

Regarding Mercedes, I would rather expect Kimi to go there in 2014 than 2013. It makes more sense to me. Schumacher will do one more year, retiring when the next regulations start. The Lotus is fast this year, and therefor will likely be fast next year as well. In 2014 however an engine manufacturer is your best bet.

Edited by F.M., 09 September 2012 - 08:08.

#83 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:26

Honestly, I'd love to see Kimi win all of the remaining races, and I am absolutely no pessimist, but because I don't want to set myself for emotional roller-coasters that I previously experienced with Kimi's bad luck and all, I go for reasonings that would yield pessimistic conclusions!!! :eek:
So, back to the discussion, I'm sure you remember how last year, Lewis with a Mclaren Mercedes was unable to overtake Michael on straights even with MSC on worn tyres. So, even though Kimi's final top speed with open DRS is higher than last year's Mclaren, it will be magic if Kimi can keep right behind a Mercedes out of Parabolica to use that speed.

I'm optimistic he will have lots of magic in his helmet today; so Kimi for wins in the last 8 races! Who's with me? COMMON! be with us watching Kimi make Magic :drunk: :wave: YEA!

Edited by Babak, 09 September 2012 - 08:27.

#84 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:12

Regarding Mercedes, I would rather expect Kimi to go there in 2014 than 2013. It makes more sense to me. Schumacher will do one more year, retiring when the next regulations start. The Lotus is fast this year, and therefor will likely be fast next year as well. In 2014 however an engine manufacturer is your best bet.

All the more reason why Kimi should take up the offer from Mercedes if they ask him.... because that way, he'll get one year to mould the team and the car to his liking in 2013; and go all out from 2014 onwards. He has a good many years of optimum racing still left in him, considering how well Webber has been performing currently.

Looking for a good performance from the car today... today will/could be a big boost for 2013. Nervous as hell.

Edited by BackOnTop, 09 September 2012 - 09:38.

#85 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:40

All the more reason why Kimi should take up the offer from Mercedes if they ask him.... because that way, he'll get one year to mould the team and the car to his liking in 2013;

and go all out from 2014 onwards. He has a good 4 years of optimum racing still left in him, considering how well Webber has been performing at the age of 34-35.

And because the "offer" is not offered every year!

I admit though, that next year's Renault might still be a better all-around performer than Mercedes W04. Just might

#86 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 468 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:02

If it's really hot then he might beat the Mercs and maybe get Vettel with DRS. Alonso will cruise past him so fifth is the best he can hope for... unless Massa's been ordered to take Lewis out on the first corner!

LdM: Felipe baby wanna drive for Ferrari next year? This is what you have to do...
Massa: Ok :-/

Bad jokes aside, I agree 5th is the best we can hope for.
Maybe 4th if lady luck is on Kimi's side today and podium only if he's really really really lucky.

#87 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:06

All the more reason why Kimi should take up the offer from Mercedes if they ask him.... because that way, he'll get one year to mould the team and the car to his liking in 2013; and go all out from 2014 onwards. He has a good many years of optimum racing still left in him, considering how well Webber has been performing currently.

Looking for a good performance from the car today... today will/could be a big boost for 2013. Nervous as hell.

Yeah, let's forget championship and wins next year. Let's just book a 2014 ticket in advance at Mercedes fiddling around bind-resining the team, getting the car to his liking. Then it is absolutely certain that Mercedes would produce the absolute dominating engine, and run away with it year after year..

Edited by SpaMaster, 09 September 2012 - 10:09.

#88 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,036 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:06

Haha, this is from his interview on the Formula1.com page! Kimi for President! Less BS more action!

Read the rest here: http://www.formula1....test Interviews

What a wonderful interview. Kimi is definitely the coolest and most authentic. You can just love him and his style!

#89 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:08

LdM: Felipe baby wanna drive for Ferrari next year? This is what you have to do...
Massa: Ok :-/

Bad jokes aside, I agree 5th is the best we can hope for.
Maybe 4th if lady luck is on Kimi's side today and podium only if he's really really really lucky.

Could easily be a win if he's lucky. A bit more lucky would be WDC 2012. Really really really lucky will be him winning the rest of the GPs this year.

Edited by Babak, 09 September 2012 - 10:11.

#90 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 195 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:17

I'm pessimistic concerning wins this year. The car is not fast enough any more. Kimi had a realistic chance only in Hungary but a bad Q3 setup choice and than the issue with KERS at the start cost him the win.

#91 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:31

Just watched in Spanish TV the famous interview that has had Lobato repetitively calling Räikkönen "insensitive amoeba" this weekend, and seriously... what on earth did they expect with those questions?

First question: they tried to make Räikkönen give a personal opinion about Grosjean's ban. Whoever has the smallest experience with Kimi knows he's never going to really answer that kind of question.
Second question: they show him the pass on Schumacher last week in order to have him saying "yes, I'm the best on earth". Again, it doesn't need to know this guy much to know that he's not going to hit his chest shouting "I'm the best ever!".
Third question: "why don't you smile on the podium?". Of course answer was "I do what I want". What on earth did Nira want to hear?
Fourth question was about if he likes to be called "Iceman". :rolleyes:

Probably the worst interview I've seen ever.

#92 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:55

I think Kimi also brings out the worst in the interviewers. Because, halfway through the interview he lets them know how stupid their questions, that makes them nervous, then it's a disaster, they get to a state where they ask even more stupid questions. Kimi increasingly gets mixed feelings - he hates the situations more, but also sub-consciously enjoys dishing out to them. :p

BTW, 'insensitive amoeba'? I think he could be sued for that!

#93 swerved

swerved

• 3,616 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:58

Come on Kimi!!! More points today please, and a podium would be good, but its the 13th race, be sure to finish :)

#94 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:02

I think Kimi also brings out the worst in the interviewers. Because, halfway through the interview he lets them know how stupid their questions, that makes them nervous, then it's a disaster, they get to a state where they ask even more stupid questions. Kimi increasingly gets mixed feelings - he hates the situations more, but also sub-consciously enjoys dishing out to them. :p

BTW, 'insensitive amoeba'? I think he could be sued for that!

I mentioned this already earlier, but Peter Windsor of the Flying Lap video podcast disagrees. He said that he doesn't understand why people regard Kimi as a "difficult" person as he has never had any trouble talking with him.

Edited by Wander, 09 September 2012 - 12:02.

#95 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 944 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:25

P5 okay after this difficult weekend.

#96 xman

xman

• 778 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:26

As I predicted, Kimi extracted once again the maximum from what was available here. Excellent damage limitation race, hopefully Lotus will be faster in upcoming races.

#97 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,904 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:26

Yup, only 5pt lost to Fernando and in front now of both RB's - amazing!

#98 Elloh

Elloh

• 305 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:27

Damage limitation atleast, Third in the standings, 1p behind Lewis and looses only 5p to Alonso.

#99 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:28

Edit: My maths failed

I feel like had they been able to put a few more laps on the first set, they could have been 4th, but I'm satisfied. Kimi was excellent again imo. I hope that this is the worst race for Lotus and next ones will be better again. Otherwise it will be very difficult to compete with Fernando and Lewis.

Edited by Wander, 09 September 2012 - 13:31.

Advertisement

#100 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:28

It is okay considering how useless the E20 was this weekend.