Photo

Kimi Raikkonen - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4052 replies to this topic

#101 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 276 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:28

Yep, damage limitation for sure. But the downward trend of Lotus is remarkable - Enstone, stop talking, keep pushing.

Advertisement

#102 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:28

P5 okay after this difficult weekend.

yap, so in the standings it will be :

1 ALO
2 HAM 142p
3 RAI 141p
4 VET 140p
:p
is it correct?

#103 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:29

Maybe it was just a thing of this race not suitting the Lotus (was KERS working anyway?), since in the previous one the Lotuses were pretty fast.

Kimi now 3rd in the WDC :wave:

Edited by Creepy, 09 September 2012 - 13:29.

#104 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,044 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:29

It is okay considering how useless the E20 was this weekend.

yep, he is still at it despite Lotus...

#105 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:30

yap, so in the standings it will be :

1 ALO
2 HAM 142p
3 RAI 141p
4 VET 140p
:p
is it correct?

Yep!
Amazing

#106 Topsu

Topsu

• 798 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:32

Kimi was lucky, as was Alonso. A bad weekend, but it was never going to be anything else I guess.

#107 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 958 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:33

Yep, damage limitation for sure. But the downward trend of Lotus is remarkable - Enstone, stop talking, keep pushing.

Agree with that.
They should push instead of talking 2nd half will be much stronger!

#108 nowayback

nowayback

• 48 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:34

looks like in the end Kimi did a good job qualifying with a car that had no business in the top 10. great race to finish 5 and manage the hard tires. all the contenders seem to be improving except for Lotus. and to keep his cool, must have been so frustrating feeling like a sitting duck all race.

#109 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:35

Again, of all the so-called top teams, lotus included, despite their famous name i haven't seen ANYTHING in the last three years from Mercedes that makes me want to see my boy sign and drive for them. It may have been a bit of a (lucky) gamble, but Lotus have proven to be a much better choice and could very well be for next year as well!
Less than McLaren for sure, but better than Mercedes!

Copy that. Better fifth with Lotus than fourth with the clinical silver.

#110 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:37

@F1PitRadio

Kimi says, "that was one of the most difficult drives"

#111 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:38

Good race by Kimi! Would have been 7th without Seb´s and Button´s DNF but he did everything he could with that slow car!
I really really really hope that it´s just the track with doesn´s suit Lotus!
At the end his pace has been good (given that he was on old tyres). Only at the beginning he lost too much time!

F1PitRadio Kimi says, "that was one of the most difficult drives"

#112 Wander

Wander

• 2,285 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:41

It was, by the way, just as some people feared; it was almost impossible to overtake with the Lotus today against the cars with stronger engines and that's why Kimi couldn't really get to show his pace at all times.

#113 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:45

I mentioned this already earlier, but Peter Windsor of the Flying Lap video podcast disagrees. He said that he doesn't understand why people regard Kimi as a "difficult" person as he has never had any trouble talking with him.

Peter Windsor is a two-faced liar sycophant. I remember very well the 2008 and 2009 seasons he did for SpeedTV. I know what all he said about Raikkonen. He is just being romantic and poetic these days because comeback stories are always good.

#114 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:51

Ufff... After such a difficult race, Kimi actually improves his championship position to 3rd just 1 pt behind 2nd place. I hope Singapore would be good for them compared to Ferrari since the latter have often struggled in slow tracks and hot conditions. He was fantastic today, ringing the car for all it is worth and more. Involved in incredible amount of action again toay, too much for my liking.

As much as I like Vettel, I think he needs to watch a few things. Kimi was really hard done by Vettel at the start today. Kimi was well alongside him on the exit of the first chicane, but Vettel kept moving to the right grassing Kimi as if no one was there. Of course, the penalty he got later was a disgrace. That's a Monza special for Ferrari from the stewards.

Edited by SpaMaster, 09 September 2012 - 13:56.

#115 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:52

As I predicted, Kimi extracted once again the maximum from what was available here. Excellent damage limitation race, hopefully Lotus will be faster in upcoming races.

When one good weekend is enough to raise everyone's expectation, surely two mediocre performances can be enough to raise question marks over competitiveness; so, let's just say we would have been better off with the promise of "the Device"

Of course once again Kimi showed why he deserves all the accolades he gets.

#116 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:53

3rd in the WDC standings, I'll take that thank you very much, the quiet man continues his march towards the top, no fuss, no drama, no silly promises, just keeping his head down, promising always to do his best, and gaining places and points in the process.

Strong consistency should pay rewards, and i think this season must rank amongst Kimi's most consistent, battling for every point thats available.

When all is said and done today was a pretty decent result, well done Kimi!.

#117 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,938 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:56

I almost shat my pants a second ago having realised that Kimi stands 3rd in the championship just 1 point shy behind Lewis! Utter madness.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

#118 xman

xman

• 780 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:59

It'll be very interesting to see Autosport ratings after this race. I'd give 9/10 for Kimi, best Renault runner and maximised the cars potential.

#119 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:04

It'll be very interesting to see Autosport ratings after this race. I'd give 9/10 for Kimi, best Renault runner and maximised the cars potential.

Nah! the 9 is already assigned by default to di Resta :p

Advertisement

#120 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:06

I almost shat my pants a second ago having realised that Kimi stands 3rd in the championship just 1 point shy behind Lewis! Utter madness.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I almost did too; but because it was so close losing 5th to Michael! That was some drive;

And people! This time the strategy was actually spot on; it helped A LOT in the final result.

Also thank god that there ain't so many horse power hungry F1 races..., oh wait! a lot of the final races are actually exactly that: Abu Dhabi, Korea, Delhi and Austin(?). All have a LOT of looooooooooooong straights...

#121 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:08

Another weekend where Räikkönen achieved the maximum result possible, but the E20 have got to regain the competitiveness it had before we got to these higher speed/lower downforce tracks when we get to Singapore, otherwise staying in the fight is off.

#122 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,203 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:12

Damage limitation atleast, Third in the standings, 1p behind Lewis and looses only 5p to Alonso.

Actually very much on course yet for the WDC. If only Lotus/Renault will still be able to improve - it's not Kimi who will let them down...

#123 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,998 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:12

I almost did too; but because it was so close losing 5th to Michael! That was some drive;

And people! This time the strategy was actually spot on; it helped A LOT in the final result.

Also thank god that there ain't so many horse power hungry F1 races..., oh wait! a lot of the final races are actually exactly that: Abu Dhabi, Korea, Delhi and Austin(?). All have a LOT of looooooooooooong straights...

The Renault engine won't be an issue for the rest of the races, but they need to update the car by all means. Not expecting anything regarding DDRS anymore though...

#124 santababy

santababy

• 419 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:13

Nah! the 9 is already assigned by default to di Resta :p

:lol:

#125 dreamer

dreamer

• 750 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:17

It was the maximum he could achieve today and that brought he to 3rd place overall. Good job! I hope the next races will suit the car better.

#126 Wander

Wander

• 2,285 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:17

They are not really comparable to Monza. Yes, there are long straights, but they also have those mickey mousey bendy parts, which Monza lacks.

#127 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 224 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:20

That is nowhere close to Monza's demands. Those tracks also have technical sections where engines need to accelerate from mid rpms therefore there is no point in tuning them for top end power. Engine management system delivers ideal fuel and spark timing for any RPM but there is also camshaft timing and other variables which can not be changed during the race or lap.

#128 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,044 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:26

Posted Image

KR: OK, the way WCC works, you add the WDC points of each driver... and NO, we don't have the fastest car out there... by the way, and I still want my ffing steering fixed...

#129 Elloh

Elloh

• 306 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:32

Monza is the track where you have full gas most of any track. Because its long straights and chicanses (stop and go). For the Renault engines it is very bad. Add it with only a few aerodynamical corners.

Those other tracks need good aerodynamics and the straights are mostly just on the straight and a few on the backstraight aswell, almost like every other track. U cant say that Abu Dhabi is a high speed track?

#130 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:35

Posted Image

KR: OK, the way WCC works, you add the WDC points of each driver... and NO, we don't have the fastest car out there... by the way, and I still want my ffing steering fixed...

Dude, do you see forum's "report" button over Eric's head to the left? I was this close to press it to report Eric!!!

#131 SilentKiller

SilentKiller

• 653 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:37

I have a feeling Lotus may have exhausted most of their resources, and now are behind in the development race compared to other teams.

#132 Elloh

Elloh

• 306 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:38

I have a feeling Lotus may have exhausted most of their resources, and now are behind in the development race compared to other teams.

Why?

#133 KavB

KavB

• 1,149 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:39

Kimi has to be close to driver of the year (With Alonso). Just like Alonso is somehow able to drag himself onto the podium despite starting far down, Kimi is somehow able to drag himself onto the championship podium without any victories! It's frustrating to see these kind of weekends when it seemed just a few weeks ago that Lotus would be fast enough to win. Just one victory will bring him so close to Alonso...

#134 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,044 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:40

Dude, do you see forum's "report" button over Eric's head to the left? I was this close to press it to report Eric!!!

:up: ok. you deserve your own caption for that picture now...

#135 xman

xman

• 780 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:41

Yeah. Looks like Lotus have been working on DDRS (which they can't get to work it seems) and other teams have other development routes and making progress.

Now, if the DDRS in Suzuka won't deliver more speed as we hoped, we can wrap this season up already.

#136 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:44

Good race by Kimi! Would have been 7th without Seb´s and Button´s DNF but he did everything he could with that slow car!
I really really really hope that it´s just the track with doesn´s suit Lotus!
At the end his pace has been good (given that he was on old tyres). Only at the beginning he lost too much time!

:up:
Yes, It was really painful watch him drive - the car just didn't deliver.
Hope it was just a Monza-thing - otherwise Lotus is in serious problems...

#137 Galka

Galka

• 300 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:44

Kimi's on his way to finish the season on the 2nd place in the championship - for the 3rd time.
Even without wins.

#138 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 224 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:46

are there any updates coming on the car for singapore? Or all we have is this mythical DRS which never makes it into the race?

#139 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:51

3rd in the WDC standings, I'll take that thank you very much, the quiet man continues his march towards the top, no fuss, no drama, no silly promises, just keeping his head down, promising always to do his best, and gaining places and points in the process.

Strong consistency should pay rewards, and i think this season must rank amongst Kimi's most consistent, battling for every point thats available.

When all is said and done today was a pretty decent result, well done Kimi!.

:up: :up: Nice summary!
Kimi couldn't have done more with that car today.

Advertisement

#140 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,998 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:54

More so after this race I hope Kimi places his offer at McLaren as long as there's still a seat available for next season.

#141 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:57

They are not really comparable to Monza. Yes, there are long straights, but they also have those mickey mousey bendy parts, which Monza lacks.

India should be a track where Lotus are likely to go well - a very technical section and likely high temperatures.

Abu Dhabi is a crossover between Monaco and Monza, so that's where he'll struggle the most I reckon.

Don't forget that half the lap in Brazil is spent on long straights too. I can see a Spa-like scenario there that Kimi will gain a lot of time in S2 (which is Hungary) then lose more than that in S1 and S3.

The Lotus car won't like the S2 and S3 of Suzuka either - but will dominate in S1.

#142 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:01

All of the sudden he is 3rd in the championship, and just one point shy from Hamilton!
He is the king of consistency really :up: :up:

#143 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:05

Yeah. Looks like Lotus have been working on DDRS (which they can't get to work it seems) and other teams have other development routes and making progress.

Now, if the DDRS in Suzuka won't deliver more speed as we hoped, we can wrap this season up already.

Monza is a very unique track and teams develop one-off aero packages for that. It is understandable that some of the big teams may have been able to spend more on that regard. Still Lotus made ground on Red Bull today. Come Singapore, I expect Kimi to make up some points on Alonso. I don't know when victory will come, but Singapore may be better for Lotus than Ferrari even though Hamilton may make up more points.

#144 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,710 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:11

Tough difficult race for Kimi,but the bonus is he is 3rd in the WDC :cool: :up:

#145 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:16

Another Alternator failure for Renault. Vettel three times this season and Grosjean once.. :|

Hope it dosent deliver a crushing blow in some race

Edited by tarmac, 09 September 2012 - 15:16.

#146 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:19

Another Alternator failure for Renault. Vettel three times this season and Grosjean once.. :|

Hope it dosent deliver a crushing blow in some race

There was another alternator failure in another Renault car this weekend. Horner told so in RTL. He didn't want to tell whose car it was, just that it was not a Red Bull. In short, it was a Lotus, a Williams or a Caterham.

#147 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 224 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:23

There was another alternator failure in another Renault car this weekend. Horner told so in RTL. He didn't want to tell whose car it was, just that it was not a Red Bull. In short, it was a Lotus, a Williams or a Caterham.

Aren't these generators produced by Magnetti Marelli?

#148 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:29

yea, including their KERS system....shitty kers btw!!

Renault should seriously improve the horse power of 2014 engine.....

#149 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:30

Must be packaging/temperature related? Both times this has happened, it has been pretty warm conditions.

#150 Yellowmc

Yellowmc

• 1,916 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 15:30

3rd in the WDC. :eek:

...and they said coming back was a waste of time!