Photo

Kimi Raikkonen - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4052 replies to this topic

#1851 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:22

It is good that the updates are stying on the car, atleast Kimi didn't test them in vain then.

Advertisement

#1852 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:31

mmmm, sounds like the heating issues in Suzuka which then caused the Kers to burn...

Probably some minor Coanda system related heating issues. Better to had those today rather than tomorrow or Sunday.

#1853 Raikkonen94

Raikkonen94

• 469 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:37

oh I was wowing the fact that Kimi's anti roll bar had Konked out again :blush:

Hehe I was quoting the wrong one, sorry :blush:

#1854 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:50

i'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel, finally a update that has passed the hurdle of friday free practice and made on to the weekend :lol:

but i do feel that kimi likes it, otherwise it wouldn't be on the car, we all know how kimi responds to things he doesn't like (monaco steering comes to mind :smoking: )

off topic, it seems kimi has finally had enough of certain journalist accusing him of conspiracy :rolleyes: he slammed the accusation as rubbish

link-yallaf1

Kimi Raikkonen has, unsurprizingly, dismissed as rubbish a conspiracy theory about Fernando Alonso’s retirement from recent grands prix due to incidents involving Lotus drivers.

A Spanish newspaper correspondent said last week he saw a possible link between the fact that Lotus drivers Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean were involved in the incidents that knocked Alonso out of the races at Suzuka and Spa respectively. Alonso had held a comfortable lead in the drivers’ title chase.

The reporter also recalled that it was Renault’s Vitaly Petrov who blocked Alonso at the 2010 world championship finale, with all three incidents helping the similarly Renault-powered Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel towards his titles.

“I guess it’s important to look at the country [Spain] where this was written,” Raikkonen is quoted from Korea by Finland’s Turun Sanomat.

raikkonen however knows how to tease his fans ... :cool:

Raikkonen, meanwhile, would not comment on what the F1 world should expect when, on his 33rd birthday next Wednesday, his plans for the 2013 season will finally be revealed.

“You’ll see then,” he smiled.

he smiled ... it gotta be something as cool as ice i hope :eek:

Edited by eronrules, 12 October 2012 - 08:51.

#1855 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:05

It is good that the updates are stying on the car, atleast Kimi didn't test them in vain then.

As JA said, they still have a long way to go... my guess is that there is nothing too different from the old version as of now - to explain why Kimi is just slightly edging Grosjean in the practice. So the new exhaust doesn't really work at optimum but doesn't work worse than the current one, so they are just keeping it.

As for the heating issue, I worry that this "troubleshooting" will come to blows during the race when they have to do so many laps compared to what they've done only for practice. Not feeling good at all... Having said that, I did see Kimi in traffic quite a bit n also the last 14 mins, I think they were running high fuel (and also in traffic)... so I really dunno what to make of it...

#1856 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:07

eronrules,

the coolest news Kimi can give me would be that Webber and him swap seats (somehow) :drunk:

#1857 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:19

eronrules,

the coolest news Kimi can give me would be that Webber and him swap seats (somehow) :drunk:

however, judging the amount of enthusiasm in LotusF1 website, i don't think it's anything related to transfer. but who knows what'll happen in 2014 (realistic chance of transfer). i'd have really liked if Ferrari took in webber, ditching massa and RB taking in Kimi, but then you have to realize, as long as Marko "dark" Helmet is there, the chance of kimi fighting fair with Vettel is slim at best. as i like to say, it's better to be a big fish in a pond rather than small fry at sea, and by judging LotusF1, i'd say it's a nice and cozy pond :p

#1858 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:27

I think the first steps to getting the Coanda system optimized is to run it. So glad that the team will stick with it. Certainly due to lack of track time it may represent a risk for the race, but looking at the position in the championship, if we are to have any hope, we don't have the luxury of not taking any risks.

#1859 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:30

Iceman Style

http://m.gpupdate.ne...-gangnam-style/

Advertisement

#1860 KimiSolberg

KimiSolberg

• 70 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:35

Iceman Style

http://m.gpupdate.ne...-gangnam-style/

Thanks, but already seen and already made fun of :) As in "They did one video with Grosjean too, but he fell over in the first verse and took out all the dancers."

#1861 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:02

Thanks, but already seen and already made fun of :) As in "They did one video with Grosjean too, but he fell over in the first verse and took out all the dancers."

Oh. My bad.

That's the problem with these huge threads!!

#1862 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:08

Kimi think top 5 in the qualy possible :up:

LotusF1 friday quotes

Kimi Raikkonen, P1 - 1:40.929, 11th; P2 - 1:39.839, 10th
“The circuit is okay; it’s surprisingly bumpy in some parts but it’s quite different from other places we race. It’s difficult for me to say about the exhaust until I’ve sat down with the engineers and gone through the data. We’ll try to improve the car for tomorrow as it wasn’t very easy to drive and get a good lap today. Let’s see if we can get it completely right and maybe we can be in the top five in qualifying.”

#1863 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:10

Lotus to Stick with Coanda-Effect Exhausts for Korean Grand Prix
12 October 2012

Posted Image

Lotus is set to keep its new Coanda-effect exhaust system on the car for the rest of the Korean Grand Prix.

"We're reasonably happy with the way they are working," Lotus technical director James Allison said.

"We are at the beginning of a relatively long road with them. It's not straightforward to make them work from the start, but numbers we got are good so we are quite pleased."

Full Article: Autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103323

That's great news, at least not another practice gone to waste.
Will they use it in both cars or will it just be in Kimi's?

#1864 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,884 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:13

Kimi said they expected more performance from new exhaust than they got...but still early steps.

#1865 swerved

swerved

• 3,616 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:13

Kimi seems slightly less impressed.

"We probably expect a bit more than what we've seen so far, but it's too early to say."

He conceded the car had been tough to drive in practice, where he ended up 10th fastest.

"It's not very easy to get the car right," said Raikkonen. "Hopefully tomorrow will be better."

http://www.autosport......com F1 news)

#1866 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:26

Kimi possibly giving clues to fans as to his location when at rest

Posted Image

#1867 KimiSolberg

KimiSolberg

• 70 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:54

Oh. My bad.

That's the problem with these huge threads!!

No problem. A lot of people have probably not seen it.

#1868 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:36

LotusF1 team,friday practice, catch up with kimi raikkonen

source

With significant upgrades on trial here in Korea this weekend, even a man of Kimi’s talents would be forgiven for taking time to get up to speed. Of course, normal rules don’t apply to the Iceman who – straight talking as always – tells us exactly what he makes of the time sheets in Friday practice…

Q: Kimi; how was your first experience of the Korea International Circuit today?

KR: The circuit is okay; it’s surprisingly bumpy in some parts and the layout is quite different from other places we race. There’s a mix of corners here so finding the right compromise on setup is tricky. Most of the turns are medium to high speed so it’s important to have a good balance through them but you need good speed through the whole lap and that’s quite hard to find.

Q :You ran the new Coandă exhaust today; how did it feel from behind the wheel?

KR: The car can feel completely different from place to place even if you don’t change anything at all, so I can’t really say if it felt so different or not as we’ve only used if for one day at one track. We have to look at the data to see how it’s working before deciding if we’re going to keep using it or not. The good thing is that there were no problems with it. We spent a bit of time in the garage in the first session but there was nothing stopping us running; just normal checks and things you have to try out with new parts which takes a bit of time.

Q: Both cars were hovering around the mid-pack on the time sheets today; how much do you read into that?

KR: We were about a second off the leaders today and there’s definitely room for improvement, but there’s no point reading into anything on a Friday. We’re usually around this sort of position on the first day and we always improve so let’s hope it’s the same tomorrow. To be honest, I don’t care about the lap times as long as we get a good understanding of the car so we can try to put everything together tomorrow; that’s what matters. If we can get it completely right then maybe we can be in the top five in qualifying. Let’s wait and see.

#1869 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:55

I just had a thought: I feel really uncomfortable till Kimi says what his plans are for next year or so;

I think the debate has not been on whether Kimi stays with Lotus or goes to another team; rather it might have been whether he stays there or decides to retire for good. I mean he, as well as the media, are all refering to the subject as if it is "his plans" for the future, rather than Lotus' plans or whatever else. Really, I'm now nervous till he says what he wants to do

Edited by Babak, 12 October 2012 - 11:57.

#1870 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:09

I just had a thought: I feel really uncomfortable till Kimi says what his plans are for next year or so;

I think the debate has not been on whether Kimi stays with Lotus or goes to another team; rather it might have been whether he stays there or decides to retire for good. I mean he, as well as the media, are all refering to the subject as if it is "his plans" for the future, rather than Lotus' plans or whatever else. Really, I'm now nervous till he says what he wants to do

chill dude/dudette ... i'm confident it's more an issue of where/how many years/sponsor rather than stay/quit. don't forget, he was basically forced into sabatical by ferrari. if macca wanted to pay him a bit more, we would've seen him in 2010 in the chrome bullet alongside Hamsta.

#1871 Babak

Babak

• 112 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:27

chill dude/dudette ... i'm confident it's more an issue of where/how many years/sponsor rather than stay/quit. don't forget, he was basically forced into sabatical by ferrari. if macca wanted to pay him a bit more, we would've seen him in 2010 in the chrome bullet alongside Hamsta.

God, I really hope so; anyway it struck me rather hard.

BTW I'm a dude, my name "babak" in my language means "kind father"

#1872 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 14:17

Misleading and should I add 'false' title from Autosport again. (Is it Noble?) "Raikkonen underwhelmed by updates".
In truth, that is not what he says at all. He just says he has just started testing them and will know more later. In fact, he says something exact opposite. "If we can get it completely right then maybe we can be in the top five in qualifying."

To those who were moaning he was sitting in FP1: From horse's mouth itself
"We spent a bit of time in the garage in the first session but there was nothing stopping us running; just normal checks and things you have to try out with new parts which takes a bit of time."

It takes time to evaluate new parts, change stuff, read and interpret. Kimi himself says he is not at all worried about the times today, he just prefers to understand the updates well and make the most out of it looking at the day.

Edited by SpaMaster, 12 October 2012 - 14:19.

#1873 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 14:47

Well, this is what Boullier told MTV3 in Suzuka.

"Nothing has been signed yet but his contract that was signed last year is a two year contract that has certain options. Options with performance clauses. We just need to go through an administrative process so we can get the contract re-signed for next year."

Boullier also emphasized that there's nothing left to negotiate about between the two parties. "It's just a matter of timing."

Yesterday when MTV3 asked Kimi if this is true he slipped out a very telling smile which clearly confirmed what according to Boullier is already 100% certain anyway, that Kimi stays at Lotus.

#1874 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 14:52

Well, this is what Boullier told MTV3 in Suzuka.

"Nothing has been signed yet but his contract that was signed last year is a two year contract that has certain options. Options with performance clauses. We just need to go through an administrative process so we can get the contract re-signed for next year."

Boullier also emphasized that there's nothing left to negotiate about between the two parties. "It's just a matter of timing."

Yesterday when MTV3 asked Kimi if this is true he slipped out a very telling smile which clearly confirmed what according to Boullier is already 100% certain anyway, that Kimi stays at Lotus.

Wait, I'm confused. Didn't Finnish media reported some time ago that Lotus prepared for Raikkonen departure?

#1875 mey3059

mey3059

• 322 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:19

Misleading and should I add 'false' title from Autosport again. (Is it Noble?) "Raikkonen underwhelmed by updates".
In truth, that is not what he says at all. He just says he has just started testing them and will know more later. In fact, he says something exact opposite. "If we can get it completely right then maybe we can be in the top five in qualifying."

"We spent a bit of time in the garage in the first session but there was nothing stopping us running; just normal checks and things you have to try out with new parts which takes a bit of time."

It takes time to evaluate new parts, change stuff, read and interpret. Kimi himself says he is not at all worried about the times today, he just prefers to understand the updates well and make the most out of it looking at the day.

If you quote bits from the article, i can quote this too

"We probably expect a bit more than what we've seen so far, but it's too early to say."

I would say that can be taken as underwhelming, considering so much hope was pinned on the updates.
but Kimi being Kimi, he is willing to wait till tomorrow to pass on a definitive judgement. but at the moment he is underwhelmed.

Oh and being in the garage for a long time, i cannot believe it is by choice, they all want to test as much as possible. However it is not the end of the world, as is being portrayed here

#1876 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:45

https://twitter.com/...233558854549504

Lotus twitter has been linking to the video. So its something personal or related to Lotus

#1877 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,884 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:49

No, kimi really said they expect more performance from new exhaust but it's still early days and they need to analyse data. He thinks they will improve tomorrow but others will too.

#1878 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:54

If you quote bits from the article, i can quote this too

I would say that can be taken as underwhelming, considering so much hope was pinned on the updates.
but Kimi being Kimi, he is willing to wait till tomorrow to pass on a definitive judgement. but at the moment he is underwhelmed.

Oh and being in the garage for a long time, i cannot believe it is by choice, they all want to test as much as possible. However it is not the end of the world, as is being portrayed here

You can quote whatever you want, but he does not say what you are saying. 'We expect more, but it's too early to say'. That is, it is too early, there may be more potential, but we don't know all of them. He also goes on to say if they extract everything, they can be top 5. His statements were not in the context of underwhelming. The audience may be in that mood, though!

As for the time off in FP1, he did not say he was sitting for the fun of it. He just said there was nothing terminally wrong with the car, just that they had to evaluate a few things (reading data, interpretation sort of stuff) since they have just tested the new components.

Edited by SpaMaster, 12 October 2012 - 15:56.

#1879 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,884 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 15:57

Wait, I'm confused. Didn't Finnish media reported some time ago that Lotus prepared for Raikkonen departure?

Yes but even then they said that it's very likely that he stays at Lotus but just in case Lotus prepared to have backup plan.

Edited by Vesuvius, 12 October 2012 - 16:00.

Advertisement

#1880 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,884 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:00

You can quote whatever you want, but he does not say what you are saying. 'We expect more, but it's too early to say'. That is, it is too early, there may be more potential, but we don't know all of them. He also goes on to say if they extract everything, they can be top 5. His statements were not in the context of underwhelming. The audience may be in that mood, though!

As for the time off in FP1, he did not say he was sitting for the fun of it. He just said there was nothing terminally wrong with the car, just that they had to evaluate a few things (reading data, interpretation sort of stuff) since they have just tested the new components.

Like I wrote before, Kimi's car had heating problems during FP1 and that's why engineers were taking time o check the rear end of the car.

#1881 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:10

^ Yeah, but Kimi himself says that there was nothing terminally wrong that was stopping them from running. May be, since the update involves exhaust gases and hot car surface, the set up they were evaluating back forth may have shown them the limit, and were correcting it. This is standard evaluation procedure for a new equipment. It's not like melting KERS or kaput gearbox. As far as I can see, Kimi hasn't sounded underwhelming or discourage so far. He is normally not like that. So, it takes something big to project that sort of impression.

#1882 fum3s

fum3s

• 470 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:30

Being prepared simply means being ready for some eventuality, however unlikely it might be. Like carrying a condom in your wallet.

#1883 mey3059

mey3059

• 322 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:43

not that i wanna argue, but " we expect more, but it's too early to say " is different from "We probably expect a bit more than what we've seen so far, but it's too early to say."

the latter gives an impression that he is slightly disappointed as of now. but i see you want to see it as how you quoted.

Matter of perception.Dont think there is anything wrong with i or jonathan noble or whoever put up that headline understood Kimi's quotes

#1884 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 16:55

^ If it is the first time, I probably would not have said it like that. Some reporters like Jonathan Noble have had a habit of sensationalizing and twisting the reports. As I said, there are other statements from Kimi that suggest otherwise. Whichever way one wants to look at it, when he adds "it's still too early to say", that should have cleared up any confusion. For starters, taking time to make the updates work is not the same as failed updates.

EDIT:
When asked for his opinion on the new package, Raikkonen replied: "I think it's too early still. We'll look at all the data and see how it is.
So, in the starting itself he says "It's too early still". Not just early, but too early. Then talks about looking at data and seeing how it is. Then goes on to say that he probably expects a bit more than what has been seen so far. Again, 'it's still to early' added. I don't see how you can prove that he is underwhelmed. To me, it sounds like he is in a bit of pondering mood, still waiting to see how the updates would turn out. Later he says, "if they get everything, we can be in top 5". This fits well with 'waiting to see how it eventually turns out', rather than underwhelmed, despondent, discouraged and out. "Raikkonen underwhelmed by updates" is a totally misleading headline to the actual statements he made.

Edited by SpaMaster, 12 October 2012 - 17:13.

#1885 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:29

Being prepared simply means being ready for some eventuality, however unlikely it might be. Like carrying a condom in your wallet.

Only in this case it's way more likely that the condom in the wallet rather than Kimi takes the plunge into the unknown...

#1886 fum3s

fum3s

• 470 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 17:35

Only in this case it's way more likely that the condom in the wallet rather than Kimi takes the plunge into the unknown...

Took me a while to fully appreciate that.

#1887 grunge

grunge

• 4,305 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:03

Same here..not looking forward to Wednesday for some reason in dread of something ominous turning up

#1888 Fallout

Fallout

• 430 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:05

Oh my... The mental pictures are priceless! :clap:

#1889 grunge

grunge

• 4,305 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 19:08

The Autosport title is moronic at best.

Its Lotus's first attempt at the Coanda design..it is not supposed to work straight away..the teams who have got it working are actually at a much much more advanced stage than Lotus since they've had 8 months worth of updates and modifications.

Lotus deserves credit for bringing along such a big package ..New floor from Singapore.New front wing cascades,new rear wing from Singapore..new diffuser design.new exhaust.Its essentially a new car.

Edited by grunge, 12 October 2012 - 19:10.

#1890 peroa

peroa

• 8,923 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:22

The Autosport title is moronic at best.

Its Lotus's first attempt at the Coanda design..it is not supposed to work straight away..the teams who have got it working are actually at a much much more advanced stage than Lotus since they've had 8 months worth of updates and modifications.

Lotus deserves credit for bringing along such a big package ..New floor from Singapore.New front wing cascades,new rear wing from Singapore..new diffuser design.new exhaust.Its essentially a new car.

Their technical director need to be replaced IMHO.
Last year they stuck with the epic_fail front exhaust, this year it took them 15!!! races to consider implementing the coanda exhaust which Sauber runs since the start of the season.
Speechless, really, especially because all development will be carried over to 2013.

Edited by peroa, 12 October 2012 - 21:23.

#1891 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 00:36

I would not blame James Allison, I think he's done a good job.

#1892 Zava

Zava

• 5,009 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:51

is it just me or Kimi is having massive understeer?
hopefully it is because they didn't think of this big rear DF gains and don't have matching df level FWs here, or a slimmer RW :rolleyes: would be good for the coming races.

#1893 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:10

They tried to run lower DF setup but he is only gaining tenth or two on S1 on vs Grosjean. Coanda not providing enough grip on S2/3

#1894 rijole1

rijole1

• 632 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:17

I think it looked promising from Kimi and Romain,
even if they are one second after RedBull

#1895 turssi

turssi

• 1,225 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:38

I think it looked promising from Kimi and Romain,
even if they are one second after RedBull

In front of the Ferraris is the best that we can hope for with this car.

#1896 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:00

Well, Red Bull's in a league of it's own obviously but the situation looks a lot better than yesterday. Fingers crossed for a solid qualifying result.

#1897 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:15

I'm truly impressed with the bulls.. a "mere" drink company :drunk:

#1898 OSX

OSX

• 4,207 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:21

I'm truly impressed with the bulls.. a "mere" drink company :drunk:

Yeah, Newey with an endless supply of free Red Bull cans. The man never needs to sleep...

#1899 swerved

swerved

• 3,616 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:57

Yeah, Newey with an endless supply of free Red Bull cans. The man never needs to sleep...

And when he does sleep he dreams up superb design ideas to make that car fly :up:

Car does look a bit better today, lets hope that makes a difference in Qualy, a nice trouble free one would be great please, I'm feeling just a little more optimistic than yesterday :up:

Advertisement

#1900 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,903 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:13

Good pace atm. How was Kimi doing with the SS compared to RG?