Photo

Kimi Raikkonen - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4052 replies to this topic

#3451 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:20

I don't think it is Slade either. I assumed it would have been Simon Rennie since he normally speaks to Kimi on radio. But I don't know the earlier voices of Rennie, hence cannot confirm.

Advertisement

#3452 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:22

The man mclaren needed, not the completely unknown perez... Hope next years Lotus is a fast and reliable rocket-ship!

#3453 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 20:23

I assumed it was Boullier.....

#3454 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 21:37

I assumed it was Boullier.....

That's also what I assumed, but I can't be really sure.

#3455 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 119 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:18

not sure if this has been addressed, but, I just did some quick maths, but Kimi looks to have 3rd locked up for his first season back

gotta say, that result is pretty impressive to say the least :up:

#3456 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:37

not sure if this has been addressed, but, I just did some quick maths, but Kimi looks to have 3rd locked up for his first season back

mathematically no, it's not locked up Kimi is 31 points up on Webber, 33 on Hamilton and 45 on Button with 50 points still available. But yeah, barring mechanical issues it would be difficult for Kimi to lose P3

#3457 Zava

Zava

• 5,089 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:38

only needs to finish close behind Webber and Hamilton, for example a Vettel, Button, Hamilton, Webber, Alonso, Raikkönen top6 would set the first 3 places in stone. though I don't think Alonso finishing down in 5th (with Webber and Button in front of him) is likely. :drunk:

#3458 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,074 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:47

I was wondering: Kimi radio messages got so much attention, will other drivers try to be funny, or interesting in the next GP's?

#3459 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:30

I was wondering: Kimi radio messages got so much attention, will other drivers try to be funny, or interesting in the next GP's?

LOL maybe they'd want to do it too, but I don't think any drivers can "plan" their radio messages when on the track, way too much going on, I don't think they can afford to split their focus to try to be funny on radio. Those messages are truly done in heat of the moment and it will stay that way :up:

Advertisement

#3460 Oho

Oho

• 7,739 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:33

Well unfair as it may sound Räikkönen has such a persona that he is about the only active driver who can or is allowed to pull it off, and well since it has been done there is little novelty left. Actually it was not the fist time he has barked at pit wall this season, remember Spa and "...then give me full power". I doubt his quip would have drawn all the positive attention had he not won for any reason, quite the opposite actually thought at the time it really did seem he knew what he was doing.

#3461 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 14:19

My banner for Kimi in Texas from www.racingnerds.com

Posted Image

#3462 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 16:22

Well unfair as it may sound Räikkönen has such a persona that he is about the only active driver who can or is allowed to pull it off, and well since it has been done there is little novelty left. Actually it was not the fist time he has barked at pit wall this season, remember Spa and "...then give me full power". I doubt his quip would have drawn all the positive attention had he not won for any reason, quite the opposite actually thought at the time it really did seem he knew what he was doing.

Guess his haters will be the first to come up with "Oh it seems the didn´t know what he was doing" when he does a mistake next race or th race after!

#3463 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 119 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:13

Posted Image

#3464 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:22

Guess his haters will be the first to come up with "Oh it seems the didn´t know what he was doing" when he does a mistake next race or th race after!

I think this forum is a little better than some others... I see less of that here than some other forums

#3465 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:42

My banner for Kimi in Texas from www.racingnerds.com

Posted Image

Is there a bull in the background? :p

#3466 Lotus72b

Lotus72b

• 88 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:49

Posted Image

Nice picture :clap:

#3467 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:57

Is there a bull in the background? :p

well that is the texas longhorns logo

#3468 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 21:11

A few pics from today...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3469 Diderlo

Diderlo

• 170 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:34

A few pics from today...

Posted Image

Seems like they continue where they left off.

Edited by Diderlo, 15 November 2012 - 22:36.

#3470 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:39

A few pics from today...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pedro and Lewis looks sooo desperado..

#3471 MonacoMaster

MonacoMaster

• 104 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:40

Both thinking 'only two races to go...' :wave:

#3472 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 22:42

A few pics from today...

Posted Image

I am bogged down in work today, so as to have the weekend completely free to enjoy the whole GP experience in Austin and I have to say that picture gave me my first genuine smile for the day. Thanks to Kimi and Sebastian for reminding that "it's all good" :up:

#3473 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:11

Kimi Raikkonen Q&A: F1 Racing – At the Moment I like it!
15 November 2012

Posted Image

What a difference two years make. When Kimi Raikkonen quit F1 racing to go rallying, few seemed that sorry to see him go. Now, having succeeded where another big name failed and staged a successful comeback, he is the darling of the paddock. Not that Raikkonen cares what people think - that much hasn’t changed. He just wants to go racing and win - and his win in Abu Dhabi was one of the most popular of the season. In an exclusive interview, Formula1.com caught up with the Lotus star ahead of this weekend’s Austin round…

The Full Q&A: Formula1.com/news/interviews/2012/11/14053.html

#3474 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:00

He smiles so much these times :o Seems like Lotus is a really good fit for Raikkonen

#3475 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:55

15 November 2012

Posted Image

What a difference two years make. When Kimi Raikkonen quit F1 racing to go rallying, few seemed that sorry to see him go. Now, having succeeded where another big name failed and staged a successful comeback, he is the darling of the paddock. Not that Raikkonen cares what people think - that much hasn’t changed. He just wants to go racing and win - and his win in Abu Dhabi was one of the most popular of the season. In an exclusive interview, Formula1.com caught up with the Lotus star ahead of this weekend’s Austin round…

:up: Good interview, had to laugh at the "Darling of the paddock" bit, and i liked the answer below.

Q: Have you ever wondered why you are so popular after your comeback? Has the paddock realized that one rowdy character is worth more than 10 streamlined yes-men?
KR: Ha, isn’t it funny how things can change? I do my thing and some people like that and some don’t. One thing I have never tried is to please. Maybe this is popular these days! (laughs)

I'm delighted that his comeback has gone way better than a lot of folks thought it would, and i think part of the reason is because he's opened up just a little more and the press seem to appreciate that, I think the balance is about right, obviously it helps that his performances haven't given them anything to be overly critical about but perhaps there's a little more understanding and appreciation from both sides, each of which have their jobs to do.

#3476 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:16

Thereis an article on TS Raikkonen driving in his very best levelthat has thougths from Kimi, Andrea Stella and Mark Slade. They say the following
Kimi:
"- 2009 I did drive better than I had driven ever before"
"- driver always know how well he is driving even if the car would be bad and only good enough for 10th places"
" - I feel I have driven few last races on same level that I did back in 2009, specially at abu dhabi"

Stella:
"- Kimi and Fernando always get the maximum out of their cars"
"- 2009 Kimi did miracles with that car at later half of the season. When Fisischella came to our team he couldn't get even closer to 1 second/lap to Kimi, despitate that he had the same car."
-"already back in 2007 Kimi drove some magical races, for example at China were intermediate tyres worn till the end on drying track, he still was able to do same laptimes lap after lap."

Slade:

"- best wins are those that come when you don't think they are possible. Those are the wins that will be remembered."
"- Kimi's win at abu dhabi is on same category with his win at suzuka 2005, his performance was similar back then."

Slade also said in one interview Kimi's qualifying a shock for Grosjeanthat Kimi's qualifying at abu dhabi was back in his McLaren times. During the weekend Grosjean was on similar pace with Kimi until Q3 final five corners but then Kimi found few extra tenths in last two corners he hadn't found before and did bet Grosjean by a half a second! After the quali Grosjean was checking Kimi's data and was buzzled and shocked how did he do that? That was classic Kimi performance familiar from McLaren times, Slade laughed.

Edited by Vesuvius, 16 November 2012 - 08:31.

#3477 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:18

Funny bits from the PC:

On the question about the track, what they think of it (Alonso just said he had already done 2 laps on his bike and will do more after the PC):
Kimi RAIKKONEN: I've only seen the video from when they did the demo run here, but I haven't seen the circuit itself. I will see tomorrow how it goes.

Q. You won't even walk the circuit this afternoon?

KR:
I don't know yet. I'll have to see.

Q. After the comment from the last grand prix, it's good to see...

KR:
Well, I mean, if I found a golf cart or something.

-----------------------

Q. (Pierre van Vliet - F1i Magazine) Lewis and Kimi: if you have a winning package this weekend - if after qualifying you realise you have a chance, what can you do not to disturb the World Championship battle between these two?

LH:
Go for it Kimi, I would love to hear what you have to say.

#3478 ARENA

ARENA

• 32 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:43

Q: (Carlos Miguel - La Gaceta) Question for Kimi, who would be your bet for the championship?
KR: I think whoever scores most points will get it.

:rotfl:

Edited by ARENA, 16 November 2012 - 08:45.

#3479 Miggeex

Miggeex

• 524 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:22

He corrected it immediately: "I mean who scores most points deserves it"

For some reason that's not in those quotes.

Advertisement

#3480 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:26

Thereis an article on TS Raikkonen driving in his very best levelthat has thougths from Kimi, Andrea Stella and Mark Slade. They say the following
Kimi:
"- 2009 I did drive better than I had driven ever before"
"- driver always know how well he is driving even if the car would be bad and only good enough for 10th places"
" - I feel I have driven few last races on same level that I did back in 2009, specially at abu dhabi"

Stella:
"- Kimi and Fernando always get the maximum out of their cars"
"- 2009 Kimi did miracles with that car at later half of the season. When Fisischella came to our team he couldn't get even closer to 1 second/lap to Kimi, despitate that he had the same car."
-"already back in 2007 Kimi drove some magical races, for example at China were intermediate tyres worn till the end on drying track, he still was able to do same laptimes lap after lap."

Slade:

"- best wins are those that come when you don't think they are possible. Those are the wins that will be remembered."
"- Kimi's win at abu dhabi is on same category with his win at suzuka 2005, his performance was similar back then."

Slade also said in one interview Kimi's qualifying a shock for Grosjeanthat Kimi's qualifying at abu dhabi was back in his McLaren times. During the weekend Grosjean was on similar pace with Kimi until Q3 final five corners but then Kimi found few extra tenths in last two corners he hadn't found before and did bet Grosjean by a half a second! After the quali Grosjean was checking Kimi's data and was buzzled and shocked how did he do that? That was classic Kimi performance familiar from McLaren times, Slade laughed.

Thanks for sharing those :)

#3481 swerved

swerved

• 3,689 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:52

A snippet taken from an interview between Maurice Hamilton and Peter Sauber, From F1Racing.

MH: But that wasn't the end of the story with Kimi was it ? People were against a driver with so little experience coming into F1, Particularly Max Mosley, who was then head of the FIA.

PS: Mosley was against it, but he was fair, I understood what Max was saying because this was not the normal way. We had the F1 commission meeting in Monaco and I had to put my case. I had no experience and my English was not so good. I had the help of Bernie Ecclestone, Jean Todt, Ron Dennis, Frank Williams and I think, at the end,Eddie Jordan.

Everybody helped me, I was surprised. Only one person was against it,and that was Flavio Briatore. He said we had Formula 3000 at this time and it made no sense to bring this guy directly into F1.
Flavio was protecting his own business and,of course,he had two votes at the time,Minardi as well as his own team.

Max didn't vote.He was fair, absolutely fair. For me,it was a miracle to get a superlicence for Kimi.

#3482 nada12

nada12

• 458 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:30

15 November 2012

Posted Image

"Q: Coming to this weekend, this is the first Grand Prix in the United States since 2007 - and the first on a track purpose built for F1 racing. What is your impression so far?
KR: First of all, it looks fantastic and from what I have experienced on the computer it also must feel fantastic to race it. I am very much looking forward to getting into the car tomorrow and getting a taste. Superficially you have to say that with the many colours it looks like a piece of art, so let’s hope that it is also arty to drive."

That doesn't sound like Kimi in the slightest.. :confused:

#3483 Wander

Wander

• 2,285 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37

There must be some editing work going on, but with no audio it's impossible to say how close to his exact words those are.

#3484 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:15

A few pics from today...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sergio doesn't look too happy either and neither does Fernando for that matter...

#3485 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:18

Hi guys,

Wolfie/Nicole has posted lots of recent translations regarding Kimi on my blog bocs there have just been too many to post. For those interested, you can directly click on the link to read her latest translations. www.racingnerds.com

Edited by hijinx, 16 November 2012 - 12:20.

#3486 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:40

"Q: Coming to this weekend, this is the first Grand Prix in the United States since 2007 - and the first on a track purpose built for F1 racing. What is your impression so far?
KR: First of all, it looks fantastic and from what I have experienced on the computer it also must feel fantastic to race it. I am very much looking forward to getting into the car tomorrow and getting a taste. Superficially you have to say that with the many colours it looks like a piece of art, so let’s hope that it is also arty to drive."

Doesn't sound like Kimi. He usually doesn't prepare for new tracks in a simulator so that's a bit of a red flag. Also the artsy stuff... I don't think any of those comments are his.
I'm guessing Kimi's comment was: 'Looks ok. We'll see.' That didn't sound sexy enough for the North American PR push so they ran his comments through an advertisement filter. :confused:

#3487 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:42

Hi guys,

Wolfie/Nicole has posted lots of recent translations regarding Kimi on my blog bocs there have just been too many to post. For those interested, you can directly click on the link to read her latest translations. www.racingnerds.com

thanks for the link!:-) there is a reason why Wolfie won't post her translations to this forum at least for now so it's good she has found a place to post them...hopefully you linking it here wont cause any problems.

#3488 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,998 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:44

The computer part doesn't refer to a simulator but to the demo-run video, so he might well have said that. Don't know about the rest, but I don't expect him to be always so monosyllabic and dull. Just remember what DC said after last race.

@hijinx/Wolfie: brilliant, thx :up:

Edited by Jovanotti, 16 November 2012 - 12:44.

#3489 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:45

Doesn't sound like Kimi. He usually doesn't prepare for new tracks in a simulator so that's a bit of a red flag. Also the artsy stuff... I don't think any of those comments are his.
I'm guessing Kimi's comment was: 'Looks ok. We'll see.' That didn't sound sexy enough for the North American PR push so they ran his comments through an advertisement filter. :confused:

yup it isnt Kimi's comment for sure as he said before that he has seen video from the track but that didn't tell much for him about it.

#3490 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:56

thanks for the link!:-) there is a reason why Wolfie won't post her translations to this forum at least for now so it's good she has found a place to post them...hopefully you linking it here wont cause any problems.

shouldn't be a problem right? I think others also put their links here. Anyway I am not a commercial site or whatever, it's just a blog so should not be a biggie. Also we cite the original source all the time, so...

#3491 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 13:10

shouldn't be a problem right? I think others also put their links here. Anyway I am not a commercial site or whatever, it's just a blog so should not be a biggie. Also we cite the original source all the time, so...

hope so, I think you are right :-)

#3492 OSX

OSX

• 4,274 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 13:20

I was thinking the same but then if you look at the whole Q&A it has a very friendly and loose tone. It seems like an interview made by someone who knows Kimi well and is on very friendly terms with him. Of course that last "superficially" line there does seem a bit out of place coming from Kimi but it could simply be an "fancified" edit of what he actually said. They appear to do quite a bit of editing or should I say PR spinning on those interviews that they publish on the official F1 site which really isn't that surprising considering it is the official F1 site...

#3493 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 16:53

I think Kimi and Lotus doing something smart at the end of the session. Practice starts have been banned in the pit box after the session is over. So, Kimi seems to have wanted to do a pit-stop and start as part of going back to the track before the chequered flag falls. May be they cut it too fine to do an out lap. But, no harm done.

#3494 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,074 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 16:56

yeah but the times, were damn sloww....

#3495 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 17:00

any idea why he had to stop in the pitlane and couldn't get back to the garage on his own power? I do not have a good feeling about this weekend...

#3496 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 17:02

any idea why he had to stop in the pitlane and couldn't get back to the garage on his own power? I do not have a good feeling about this weekend...

A red traffic light :lol:
Seriously

#3497 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 17:25

That's what happens when you try to exit the pit lane after chequered flag falls. And Jinx does not have a good feeling about this one! :D

#3498 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 17:37

A red traffic light :lol:

No reason to stop there. Shouldda have learnt in Montreal. Back then... :drunk:

#3499 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 18:31

Lotus is usually slow in FP1 and Kimi was at least doing new parts testing with different system checks.

Advertisement

#3500 spaforever

spaforever

• 53 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 20:14

http://www.youtube.c...mp;feature=plcp
Pretty nice video i dont know if it was posted here already.