Photo

Kimi Raikkonen - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4052 replies to this topic

#3801 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:50

good to be back. regarding the pit stop blunder, i seem to remember Ted kravitz saying that the reason behind it was

'' kimi's clutch wasn't fully pressed and the rear wheels were spinning, thus the pit crews hesitating to put tires on''

not sure it's something wrong with the clutch or kimi accidentally slipped it. but in general, lotus's pit stops had been .2/.4 secs slower than the likes of RB/Macca. they really need to sort it out.

Advertisement

#3802 Oho

Oho

• 7,583 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:58

'' kimi's clutch wasn't fully pressed and the rear wheels were spinning, thus the pit crews hesitating to put tires on''

They actually stay on gear during stops now? The clutch actually completely releases? Well I guess it has to for standing starts.

Edited by Oho, 19 November 2012 - 10:57.

#3803 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:18

So it seems, it was Raikkonen fault in pit stop. Happens. Anyway we still can improve pit stops by 0.2/0.4 (tho in some races we had pit stops that had time 2.8-3.2 which is not bad).

#3804 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:32

So it seems, it was Raikkonen fault in pit stop. Happens. Anyway we still can improve pit stops by 0.2/0.4 (tho in some races we had pit stops that had time 2.8-3.2 which is not bad).

not necessarily his fault, maybe the mechanism didn't work, i don't think raikkonen is the sort of guy who forgets to pull his clutch lever, specially when he's not in the heat of the moment of anything. but i felt lotus and kimi lost the chance to be on the podium. Ted kravitz on his notebook segment said lotus should've pitted kimi a lap or two earlier (again :evil: ... remember bahrain/hungary). i think Lotus F1 is really playing it safe this season to get 4th secured, let's hope they become a bit more risk taking and feisty next season.

but, we'll atleast kimi not being on the podium spiced up the WDC (which is secondary to kimi being on podium for me :smoking: ) , but weather permitting (and Track temp :| ) , interlagos should suit the E20 more than COTA for the fact that it's not a power circuit with long DRS zone. so let's pray to the sun god (much like how the Tifosi's are praying to the rain god :drunk: )

kimi for a final podium finish this year ... :up:

Edited by eronrules, 19 November 2012 - 10:34.

#3805 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:43

Ted kravitz on his notebook segment said lotus should've pitted kimi a lap or two earlier (again :evil: ... remember bahrain/hungary).

It was evident. He might still had some speed on those options, but he was slow behind Vettel while he got up to speed and then when it finally happened he started to defend agaisnt Lewis. They should have pitted as soon as Alonso posted a decent sector and was no longer hopeless on cold tyres.

#3806 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,791 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:54

Tremendous overtake on Hulk. Similar to the brilliant racing we saw from Kimi in Germany.

#3807 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,256 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:58

Tremendous overtake on Hulk. Similar to the brilliant racing we saw from Kimi in Germany.

That´s what you have to do if your car is down on straight line speed.

I was even more impresed by the save on lap 1. How did he do it without losing a handful of places or spearing back into racing line? The ammount of dust was terrifying and the car was twitching like hell. I saw him demolishing a couple of rival cars.

#3808 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,224 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:09

I was even more impresed by the save on lap 1. How did he do it without losing a handful of places or spearing back into racing line? The ammount of dust was terrifying and the car was twitching like hell. I saw him demolishing a couple of rival cars.

that's cause kimi is one of the very few drivers who can feel the grip of the circuit as it is, consider the overtaking move on nico, he knew there would be grip outside the track. if u've seen the 'abu dhabi debreif' edition of TFL with peter windsor, Rob wilson who oversaw kimi's early career praised his ability for that exactly.

youtube - abu dhabi debreif - TFL

#3809 DrF

DrF

• 1,445 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:22

Rally skills.

#3810 mey3059

mey3059

• 322 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:44

Rally skills.

I think its the finnish driving skills :)

#3811 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:31

It was wasn't Kimi fault they release the jack at the back, they showed on BBC that the car was still in the air it had nothing to do with the clutch.

#3812 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:35

It was wasn't Kimi fault they release the jack at the back, they showed on BBC that the car was still in the air it had nothing to do with the clutch.

but it was about tyres still spinning so the rear guys couldnt change the tyres wasnt it?

#3813 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:59

That lotus looks very sensitive. Yesterday on mediums the car would go fast, very fast. Then in hards it was a nightmare. Then in the end, with good temperature it was fast again. Kimi did well , altough with a more consistent car and a proper track at the start he could have fought for a podium with Alonso. Oh well, he reached more than 200 points witch is remarkable. And will be at least 4th in the championship beating 3 of the 3 big teams drivers.

The vast majority of us had not predicted this in January.

#3814 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 13:59

I've heard about it before, pace dropping when the sun hides behind a cloud, but it's hard to believe the asphalt loses temp that fast! Asphalt stores warmth.

Not always. One of those rare times, we saw the track temperature actually lower than ambient temperature during FP3. :p I don't think Kimi meant the very next moment the clouds came. I think he was referring to the dropping temperatures. It is the onset of winter in that part of the world, and the temperatures are always bound to drop.

A 2 stopper maybe? With only one lap on primes I mean. Maybe not enough field-spread and too long pitlane for it to work.

Exactly what I thought but with tonne load of hindsight. Kimi lost about 27 seconds to Alonso after that pit stop. If we assume it took about 21 seconds to pit, he could have actually finished ahead of Alonso. But I did not think Lotus expected that they would be this bad in hards. After being on the pace of the Vettel and Hamilton in the beginning, they were in the pace of Williams and Force India later.

Edited by SpaMaster, 19 November 2012 - 14:02.

#3815 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,469 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:00

I have heard on the radio today that Kimi might leave Lotus because they are losing the main investor - Williams and Sauber come into play. Is that true?

#3816 OSX

OSX

• 4,206 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:07

I have heard on the radio today that Kimi might leave Lotus because they are losing the main investor - Williams and Sauber come into play. Is that true?

On what radio did you hear this? It sounds like the rumours going around prior to Kimi re-signed with Lotus for 2013. And those mutterings seemed to have died completely so I doubt there's any truth to them anymore.

#3817 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,469 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:08

On our local one, I was wondering why they were mentioning it with connection to Austin GP. Thank you for clarifying! :wave:

#3818 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:09

it's sad hard tyres lost their operating window on Kimi's car after few laps when clouds came.until that he was pulling away from Massa and keeping up with Alonso easily but then it happened :-( if this race would have raced when it originally planned right after montreal, the weather would have been a real "Lotus weather" +40 celsius degree and they would have been on winning fight without a doubt, they had the pace yesterday too but just the weather wasnt their weather.

Kimi broke two records yesteday, he has finished 19 race in one season which is new record and he has done most racedistance kilometers ever in one season.

#3819 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:13

and who would be Lotus main investor that is supposed to leaving xD? I expect that Genii invest the most but they are team owners so it is unlikely them to leave

Advertisement

#3820 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:19

On what radio did you hear this? It sounds like the rumours going around prior to Kimi re-signed with Lotus for 2013. And those mutterings seemed to have died completely so I doubt there's any truth to them anymore.

Actually, they have not died completely. Yesterday, AMuS had an article about the drivers knocking on Force India's door, and Räikkönen's is one of the names they give. Worrying is that they say, he's asked in case Lotus can't pay him. The sentence is written n present tense, not in past tense.
http://www.auto-moto...tz-6145233.html

#3821 OSX

OSX

• 4,206 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:21

Kimi broke two records yesteday, he has finished 19 race in one season which is new record and he has done most racedistance kilometers ever in one season.

:up: Some comfort to a day which could have ended so much better without all that bad luck hampering Kimi's race.

#3822 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:28

So let me see if I get this straight: Kimi would go to Force India/Sauber and Mclaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/Mercedes wouldn't even make an offer on him? I find it unlikely.

Unless... 1 year to Force India with red bull contract for 2014 signed.

#3823 OSX

OSX

• 4,206 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:33

Actually, they have not died completely. Yesterday, AMuS had an article about the drivers knocking on Force India's door, and Räikkönen's is one of the names they give. Worrying is that they say, he's asked in case Lotus can't pay him. The sentence is written n present tense, not in past tense.
http://www.auto-moto...tz-6145233.html

Might be so but apart for that AMuS article from yesterday, and a mention about it on some radio station somewhere yesterday (with the likely source for that being AMuS), the rumours have completely died. And that AMuS article really doesn't seem to have done nothing to reignite them so I'd be very skeptical about it's accuracy at this point.

#3824 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 14:59

New articles translated by Nicole

The bonus promised to Räikkönen is getting costly to Lotus click here

and

Jukka Mildh: Vettel’s speed vs. Alonso’s luck click here for this

#3825 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:15

So let me see if I get this straight: Kimi would go to Force India/Sauber and Mclaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/Mercedes wouldn't even make an offer on him? I find it unlikely.

Unless... 1 year to Force India with red bull contract for 2014 signed.

I also find it very confusing. There is this continuous rum rum saying he asked in other teams (there was something in Blick too not too long ago) but... We don't know if the rumoured Lotus problems to pay the salaries have any truth in them. If it really were the case, we would not know if it happened before or after the seats in the top teams were filled. And, then, if there was a seat in a top team, would Räikkönen want to take it?

#3826 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:26

AMUS has excellent sources. In fact, they broke the Kimi-to-Lotus story before anyone else (and also precisely when talks with Williams broke down). There's probably something to these rumors ):

#3827 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:29

AMUS has excellent sources. In fact, they broke the Kimi-to-Lotus story before anyone else (and also precisely when talks with Williams broke down). There's probably something to these rumors ):

Hi Boldhakka :wave:

MTV3 even called Riku Kuvaja, Kimi's spokesperson, to ask about the rumours. His reply wasn't very helpful though:

"I don't know where these things come from. I can't say anything about the matter."

#3828 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:32

I only remember that they were the first who said that the Kimi-Willy deal wont come true! But cant remember that they had a clue about Kimi and Lotus. I think they wrote that it´s very unlikely as Boullier und Kimi dont get a along!
Then again the rumours are very persistent! Wonder why still has a such a good develepment rate

Edited by hello86, 19 November 2012 - 15:32.

#3829 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:38

Hi Boldhakka :wave:

MTV3 even called Riku Kuvaja, Kimi's spokesperson, to ask about the rumours. His reply wasn't very helpful though:

"I don't know where these things come from. I can't say anything about the matter."

Howdy Wolfie! Yeah, that doesn't tell us much. Historically with F1 it's always been "where there's smoke there's fire". I wouldn't dismiss these rumors just yet though, unfortunately.

Thanks for your many translations over the years.

#3830 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,899 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:38

Benoit/Blick still go with this 13 drivers list, too, so there should be some truth in it. I dearly hope we get to see Räikkönen at Lotus next year!

As I said before, there can be only two reasons for Kimi looking around at midfielders (and turn down a - most probably multi-year - McLaren offer at the same time): he wants a short-term fall back option in case Lotus can't pay, and he either wants that short-term option 'cause 1. he doesn't know if he wants to continue beyond 2013 or 2. he has an agreement/contract/is in advanced talks with another team for 2014.

Edited by Jovanotti, 19 November 2012 - 15:39.

#3831 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:39

I only remember that they were the first who said that the Kimi-Willy deal wont come true! But cant remember that they had a clue about Kimi and Lotus. I think they wrote that it´s very unlikely as Boullier und Kimi dont get a along!
Then again the rumours are very persistent! Wonder why still has a such a good develepment rate

No, I was very consciously using the Kimi comeback rumors as a litmus test for how good each newspapers sources were. AMUS won on all counts and they called both the Williams talks breaking down as well as the Lotus signing. Since then they're the only ones I take seriously anymore - though I don't understand German!

#3832 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:40

I think Kimi was disappointed by the pit stop, why race your ass off if the team is going to F***up your chances! :mad:

come on guys, mistakes happen. :cry:

Let me clarify my comment about the pit stop, first of all the timing of the pit stop by Lotus was wrong they pitted him to late, it put Kimi behind slower traffic and that may of been the reason he couldn't heat up his tyres.
1-Ted kravitz on his notebook segment said lotus should've pitted kimi a lap or two earlier
2- RG did not have any issues with heating his tyres
by the way mclarenf-1.com has Kimi on used hard tyres v. RG on new

The pit stop itself was horrendous we all saw that, I believe if they pitted Kimi 1 lap after FA we would of been ahead of him or at least ahead of the slower traffic.
My 2 cents :cat:

#3833 OSX

OSX

• 4,206 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:41

I'm not questioning the general credibility of AMuS but they have gotten stories wrong in the past just as any other respectable motor sport publication. So I would take this rumour with a hefty sized grain of salt at this point, especially since apart for AMuS those rumours have completely died after Kimi re-signed for 2013.

#3834 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:42

No, I was very consciously using the Kimi comeback rumors as a litmus test for how good each newspapers sources were. AMUS won on all counts and they called both the Williams talks breaking down as well as the Lotus signing. Since then they're the only ones I take seriously anymore - though I don't understand German!

But they also said that JV is a candidate for the FI seat! :lol:

Edit: Found an article where they were wrong! They said that either Rubens or Sutil will get the second seat at Williams! http://www.auto-moto...as-4102921.html ... And they weren´t sure about the Lotus deal!

But then again I agree with you that most of the time they are very reliable

Edited by hello86, 19 November 2012 - 15:47.

#3835 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:43

Hey guys, Heikki Kulta has asked if Kimi fans would like to ask Kimi questions. Nicole translated his invitation here www.racingnerd.com

#3836 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:47

But they also said that JV is a candidate for the FI seat! :lol:

To be precise, they say, JV has applied for the job :lol:
And they say FI is not interested (what a surprise!)

I know it's weird, but the guy is so nuts that it might even be true :drunk:

#3837 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:47

On the other hand it would be nice to watch him give some lessons in the midle pack in 2013 with a force india and scoring some 100 points. :-)

#3838 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:48

To be precise, they say, JV has applied for the job :lol:
And they say FI is not interested (what a surprise!)

I know it's weird, but the guy is so nuts that it might even be true :drunk:

Ah okay! Next time I better read the whole article! xD

#3839 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:50

On the other hand it would be nice to watch him give some lessons in the midle pack in 2013 with a force india and scoring some 100 points. :-)

You mean Räikkönen or JV?

Ah okay! Next time I better read the whole article! xD

hey! It was you who reminded me to read it. And it was worth it! :)

Advertisement

#3840 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 15:53

hey! It was you who reminded me to read it. And it was worth it! :)

It was Miezi who told me about the Kimi related stuff! And JV! =D

Just looked for the weather forecast! Just in time it will get rainy and cold! .-.

#3841 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:02

:)

:lol: lets think a bit together... :kiss:

#3842 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:12

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but during this race it was said that Lotus paid Kimi (largely) on the basis of WDC points collected and that, at the beginning of the season, they expected Kimi to score around 100 points.

He's on 206 now, so he's proved to be a bit more expensive than Lotus imagined at first :p

The goal for Lotus has always been to finish 4th in the WCC. So to achieve that they new that they needed around 300 points, yes? So if he was only to score a 100 points that meant that they expected RG to score 200+ points :rotfl:

#3843 skywing

skywing

• 706 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:14

The goal for Lotus has always been to finish 4th in the WCC. So to achieve that they new that they needed around 300 points, yes? So if he was only to score a 100 points that meant that they expected RG to score 200+ points :rotfl:

No, Mercedes only has 136 points.

#3844 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:18

No, Mercedes only has 136 points.

I don't think they expected Mercedes to be that awful.

#3845 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:18

:lol: lets think a bit together... :kiss:

:p

#3846 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 310 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:33

In the last 2 years, Mercedes (4th in both) got 165 and 214 points. That gives 189,5 points per season. They might have thought that Kimi would bring 60% of their points. It means they could probably expect Kimi to have around 113,7 points this year.

#3847 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,883 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:33

I'm sure the payment troubles are real but I believe and actually am sure Kimi will continue with Lotus, he has signed contract, he wants to be with them, he owned his victory for them...he aint gonna leave them because he hasnt got all the money they owe him, he will stay with them and get paid when they can pay (freely or in court)

#3848 Kimifinfan

Kimifinfan

• 125 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 16:59

In the last 2 years, Mercedes (4th in both) got 165 and 214 points. That gives 189,5 points per season. They might have thought that Kimi would bring 60% of their points. It means they could probably expect Kimi to have around 113,7 points this year.

Forget about 2011 the car was shits, in 2010 Robert Kubica achieved 136 points, I'm sure they expected Kimi a WDC to do better in 2012. And by the way prior to every race this year I read articles that Lotus had financial problems so I'm not surprise about this latest rumour.

#3849 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 103 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 17:16

Just a couple of clouds? So much state-of-the-art technology and a couple of simple clouds turn a rocket into a turtle. On well!

I personally think Kimi was making a sarcastic comment about the clouds. I was at the GP: the sun never went away during the GP. There was hardly a cloud in the sky! I even asked my buddy who went to the GP with me if he remembers clouds. And we both laughed!

I think being behind the Toro Rosso led to his colder tyres more than anything at the beginning of the stint. It was really hard to understand his pace through that second stint.

#3850 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,034 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 17:29

somewhere between 110- 140 points was to be expected. Kimi is a great driver, they knew it. The thing is he managed 206 and 7 podiums and een a win. That must be a extra charge in their pocket as I'm sure that was totaly unexpected when they negociated their contract in November 2011. It would be like if Maldonado putted in his contract, 3 million dollars for each win, i think Frank would take it.

Edited by Taxi, 19 November 2012 - 17:36.