Photo

Formula 1 Gran Premio Santander d'Italia 2012 - Race day

• Please log in to reply
886 replies to this topic

#1 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,787 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:58

Four hours now, till all cars are parked on the grid, ready for the start of the Italian GP.

With Alonso down in tenth, this race is a big opportunity for all the other title combatants chasing him, and they will all want to dig into his lead as much as possible.
With a long run down to the first corner, the chicane, the order can be shaken up and indeed that has happened very often! Then again, the winner here usually has started from pole.

McLaren and Ferrari are likely to be the quickest cars also in the race, and a lot of extra pressure is now on Massa's shoulders, as his job now is to limit the possible damage being made to his team-mate's points lead. I think he'll be as aggressive as always and won't be afraid to stick his nose on the inside. Massa is a good starter so he might even lead going into the chicane....

-Can a two-stopper work here ths year?

-Will the Mercedes have a similar role in the race as last year?

-What can Räikkönen do, and will the warmer temps today help them as much, relatively speaking, here as on other tracks?

-Maldonado 22nd on the grid, right in the middle of a possible first corner chaos....

Advertisement

#2 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:09

Go Go Hamilton

#3 aray

aray

• 5,840 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:11

Forza Ferrari....1-2 for Alonso and Massa...:up:

(i can dream,can't i..;) )

#4 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:12

Maldonado could well be 1st by turn 1 depending on how much he chooses to jump the start by.

#5 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:13

McLaren double podium.

Alonso fighting through to 5th.

Clean race PLEASE.

#6 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:13

Just hoping for clean first corner :up:

#7 aray

aray

• 5,840 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:17

Just hoping for clean first corner :up:

ditto... :up:

though i doubt it will happen...;)

Edited by aray, 09 September 2012 - 08:20.

#8 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,787 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:18

McLaren double podium.

Alonso fighting through to 5th.

Clean race PLEASE.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a Hamilton-victory!

Alonso's finishing position will be very much decided by how he does at the start, and lap one. He could well take three-four cars, and then with the performance the car has this weekend, he could also finish higher than fifth. If he doesn't manage to jump anyone at the start, or even drops a place, it'll mean a tougher day obviously.
Intrigued to see DiResta does, and also if Webber can salvage something.
And of course, how the McLaren-pair solves things in lap one.

#9 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,375 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:18

Just like the old days.. Ferrari vs. McLaren :cool:

#10 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:22

I think we can safely forget the past. Pirelli made sure of it. It's a new day, and all bets are off.

#11 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:24

I think we can safely forget the past. Pirelli made sure of it. It's a new day, and all bets are off.

Don't expect too much overtaking, this is going to be an old school 1-stop race the tyres may as well be Bridgestones. Can't wait :)

#12 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,911 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:24

:up:
As a Ferrari fan, going up against McLaren for the win is when F1 is at its most exciting.
I have not been this excited for a race since 2008.

#13 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:34

I just hope that MAT (Mercedes Amateur Team) won't sabotage Schumacher's race again.

#14 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,677 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:41

Anybody cares to bet on which lap DRS or KERS or BOTH will fail at one of the Mercs?

#15 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:42

Don't expect too much overtaking, this is going to be an old school 1-stop race the tyres may as well be Bridgestones. Can't wait :)

I am hesitant to declare it as fortunate or unfortunate, but based on Spa performance, I fear that AMG is most likely on two stops race. There is only one week between races, and nothing much has changed.

#16 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:55

I see driver after driver going over the astroturf through Ascari with 4 wheels out of track. Is there a momerandum that they can get away with it?

#17 Massa

Massa

• 10,122 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:00

:up:
As a Ferrari fan, going up against McLaren for the win is when F1 is at its most exciting.
I have not been this excited for a race since 2008.

Singapore 2010 mate

#18 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:00

I hope the whiners are happy. ):

#19 DonaldDuck

DonaldDuck

• 299 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:06

Lewis Hamilton for a victory with Jenson Button and Raikkonen finishing the poduim. Alonso should finish the top 5 and a serious dent into his championship lead. Not to forget Vettel, who I think should be looking for a 4th place today.

GO Mclaren. Go Lewis. Go Kimi.

A classic Mclaren Vs Ferrari. And what a better place to have a front low lockout than the Tifosi heartland. Come on guys, lets silence the crowd into despair today. Lets rule at the Ferrari camp. The war is on, we are going to conquer the Red Mist today!

Advertisement

#20 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 938 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:14

Maldonado could well be 1st by turn 1 depending on how much he chooses to jump the start by.

Good of you to assume he will complete the parade lap....

#21 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:16

I think vettel will struggle where he is - he needs a lot of clean air to use the setup they have properly and the only way they are going to do that is 2 stop (coincidentally I wouldn't be surprised if they try this with webber). Alonso will be up to 5th or 6th within the first 5 laps I think

#22 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,729 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:16

Lewis Hamilton for a victory with Jenson Button and Raikkonen finishing the poduim. Alonso should finish the top 5 and a serious dent into his championship lead. Not to forget Vettel, who I think should be looking for a 4th place today.

That wouldn't be a serious dent though, it'd be maybe 5 points less than before today.

#23 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 932 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:22

Anyone else think Massa has a good chance at victory today? He is right there and his long run pace on Friday was impressive. I wouldn't rule him out.

#24 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,911 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:22

Singapore 2010 mate

This is a whole new level, buddy. COME ON FELIPE!

#25 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:28

people should not forget Vettel, he was bloody quick in the race in Spa after not getting out of Q3, and both Red Bulls were surprisingly very quick in sector 1 there....which is two big straights.

The RB may not have good top speed but the cars are geared very strongly for the race, I suspect they will be strong today and could capitalize on any mishaps around them.

I hope for a clean and uneventful first corner.

#26 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:29

Mercedes are looking in pretty good shape. I expect them to get all the way through to lap 3 or maybe even as far as lap 4 before having to change their tyres.

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:31

I see driver after driver going over the astroturf through Ascari with 4 wheels out of track. Is there a momerandum that they can get away with it?

I do not understand that rule. The way I read it is, that in the race drivers should not be leaving the track with all four wheels (two are OK). The ambiguity (or confusing part for me) is what follows, if they do.

Almost everyone on this BB suggested last time (Vettel v. Button) they cannot leave track and gain advantage, whereas I am reading it as they cannot leave track with all four wheels under any circumstances during the race under normal racing conditions. Problem for me was, that wording by stewards against Vettel certainly didn't help when I compared their document against normative references.

Vettel deem to gain advantage, said document, whereas I thought it should say, Vettel left the track with all four wheel, and in process also gained advantage in doing so. (Which I doubt that he did, but that's different subject and topic. Offense was - he left the track).

Edited by Sakae, 09 September 2012 - 09:33.

#28 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,729 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:40

Are you referring to the exit of Ascari (the left hander) leading onto the straight heading towards the Parabolica where the drivers run wide on the right hand side as they look at it (like Maldonado yesterday)? If so, there are a couple of places during the year where they declare it an acceptable zone for drivers to have all 4 wheels off the track. That's 1 of them. If you're not referring to that bit, then I don't know exactly.

#29 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 1,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:41

Yeah, stewards said ok.

#30 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:43

:lol: :lol: Go Pastor!

#31 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:46

If he decides to do an Alesi?

#32 mangeliiito

mangeliiito

• 1,039 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:53

I've got a feeling it's going to be a very boring GP without much overtaking and a Hamilton win. He's got the statistic on his side anyway...
The Red Bulls is going to pay for low top speed and without a really good setup, they will probably be sitting ducks on the straights :|

#33 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:18

If he decides to do an Alesi?

haha wtf Jean! What did he have to say about that?

#34 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:24

I believe we will see a VERY AGGRESSIVE Massa at the start. He usually makes great starts, isn't in the championship fight, and finally has a chance to cover himself in glory in front of the Tifosi. He might be out of a drive after the season, so he has nothing to lose.

It will be interesting to see if Lewis is determined to sit out the first corner with him and risk contact, or if he will be more circumspect and think of the WDC/WCC.

If Felipe manages to get in front, sending the stands into an insane frenzy, it will be quite difficult for anyone else to get past him...unless he makes an unforced error.

Should be an exciting race, regardless.

FORZA FERRARI! :cool:

#35 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:29

Rolling start straight from the warm-up lap? :p

Edit: I see that's already been covered

Edited by beancounter, 09 September 2012 - 10:33.

#36 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:37

Wonder what Massa can do from 3th. I hope he can at least hold up the McLaren's ;) Cheering for him all the way

#37 bongofury

bongofury

• 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:37

Is Georgie off to a wedding straight after the show?

#38 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:41

Can you imagine the meltdown that will occur on this forum, if Lewis and Button collide on the first corner, or if Massa takes Lewis out there ? It might create an internet black hole and this forum might be forever lost in the ether. :rotfl:

#39 zaviali

zaviali

• 129 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:48

hahaha....You made my day mate...Great one!!!!!!...:D :D

Advertisement

#40 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:03

Is it me or McLaren's latest Tooned episode was a dig at Hamilton? I might be reading too much.

#41 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:04

Is it me or McLaren's latest Tooned episode was a dig at Hamilton? I might be reading too much.

I would have been slightly uncomfortable with it.

#42 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,787 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:10

Haven't seen it yet, but I doubt that really, as they were made some time ago I believe.

(Tooned on youtube is a mess; episode three is sometimes actually number two and so forth....)

#43 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:10

Call me a snob but it does seem that races are a bigger deal when its like that.

#44 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:13

Alonso should be fun to watch, he obviously has the pace; 10th position so he might be having more excitement just like Spa into the first corner, could be as hairy as Nigel Mansell's top lip.

One stop or two stop, even with hard as nail tyres Pirelli seem to have made the teams think.

Andy

Edited by Andy35, 09 September 2012 - 11:14.

#45 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:14

Call me a snob but it does seem that races are a bigger deal when its like that.

Snob.......... :)

#46 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:14

Yup, but gladly these days of two dominating teams are over.

#47 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,613 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:15

If Schumacher/Button/Alonso can at match their performances from last year, this should be a great race.

#48 bongofury

bongofury

• 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:18

Just clicked on http://f1timing.povarnitsyn.ru/ which I have been using for Live Timing info over the last few races, but it has now been closed down "at the request of Formula One World Championship Limited". Shame. It was really useful the way it was laid out. :|

#49 SilentKiller

SilentKiller

• 656 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:20

Whats the air and track temperature? Is it comparatively hotter?

#50 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:22

Just clicked on http://f1timing.povarnitsyn.ru/ which I have been using for Live Timing info over the last few races, but it has now been closed down "at the request of Formula One World Championship Limited". Shame. It was really useful the way it was laid out. :|

Exactly. They were doing a far more better job than the Official time screen. For that, they were banned and we were forced to buy App version of it, which is way too much better than the computer version. Greedy bas**rds.