Photo

Lewis Hamilton - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3972 replies to this topic

#1201 peroa

peroa

• 8,897 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 13:17

Is Pete Gill writing for Sky now or are they just lifting off PF1?

Regardless I think his summary under 'Lewis the F1 driver' is pretty spot on.

Biggest undisputable winner incidentally -Perez.

Only time will tell.
hint: kovalainen

Advertisement

#1202 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 13:32

Lewis Hamilton fans, not to disappoint you, but you really have to lower your expectations on the final 6 races. It seems that so many on this thread believe that Lewis can easily win every race for the remainder of the season. However, what you should realize is that only twice in the history of the sport has a driver actually won 6 races consecutively, right? Ascari in 1952 and Schumacher in 2004, hell, even Vettel last season never won more than 3 times in a row. How about Lewis? He's never won more than twice in a row.

I'm certainly not counting Lewis out of the championship yet, but I want to pump some reasonability back in into this topic.

How can that be, I fully expect Whitmarsh to say to Button ' We are racing Lewis' :lol:

The championship is Alonso's or Vettels. But then again a few years ago, I had a dream that Lewis won the WDC with his last race for McLaren. Time shall tell and it shall be eerie if he did this and took number 1 to Mercedes the opposite of what Button did who took number from Mercedes to McLaren and also win the last 6 races the opposite of what Button winning the first 6 races with Brawn.

#1203 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 19:47

Winning all six is almost impossible and as others pointed out almost unprecedented, but the car won three of the last four and that would have been 4/4 were it not for a gearbox failure. If it's good enough to win the next four and LH gets two wins and two seconds from those races then that's 86 points (and a win-podium streak that's not too crazy to imagine). Alonso finishing fourth in each of those races (48 points) isn't impossible to imagine either as JB is back more or less on the pace and the RBRs seem still to be faster than the Ferrari. OK, it's unlikely FA won't be on the podium for four races the way he's driving, but it's not way out in left field either. That would give us two races to go and FA leading LH by 14 points, or about 5 points in old money.

Of course, literally anything else could happen, but no-one's being a fantasist by hanging on to some hope. I have a spark of real hope left but I also know one crash, one puncture, one mechanical failure while FA or SV score good points and that's the end of any realistic chance, even the one I'm clinging to which is putting some stress on the definition of "realistic".

#1204 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,075 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 19:50

Winning all six is almost impossible and as others pointed out almost unprecedented, but the car won three of the last four and that would have been 4/4 were it not for a gearbox failure. If it's good enough to win the next four and LH gets two wins and two seconds from those races then that's 86 points (and a win-podium streak that's not too crazy to imagine). Alonso finishing fourth in each of those races (48 points) isn't impossible to imagine either as JB is back more or less on the pace and the RBRs seem still to be faster than the Ferrari. OK, it's unlikely FA won't be on the podium for four races the way he's driving, but it's not way out in left field either. That would give us two races to go and FA leading LH by 14 points, or about 5 points in old money.

Of course, literally anything else could happen, but no-one's being a fantasist by hanging on to some hope. I have a spark of real hope left but I also know one crash, one puncture, one mechanical failure while FA or SV score good points and that's the end of any realistic chance, even the one I'm clinging to which is putting some stress on the definition of "realistic".

I wouldn't be surprised if he did it.

So is winning a WDC on the last corner  ;)

#1205 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,335 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 19:52

The other thing I'm not sure if people have mentioned, is the fact that Red Bull will probably have a vacancy come 2014/15 if the Vettel/Ferrari rumours are true.

This allows Hamilton a chance to succeed at Merc, and become a new Schumi, and if it fails its almost certain Red Bull would take him to replace Vettel. So its far from the end of the world, even if Merc turn out shit.

I really do think its a great move.

Edited by thesham01, 01 October 2012 - 19:52.

#1206 joshb

joshb

• 3,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 19:59

The only thing Hamilton has in his favour, apart from having the quickest car, is that Alonso will be so pre occupied with Vettel, it gives Hamilton a chance to sneak in through the back door, like Vettel did in 2010.

#1207 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 20:01

Congratulations Lewis on winning the Japanese Grand Prix. Already.

I'd thought Button to have him in his back pocket there before.

#1208 alframsey

alframsey

• 1,417 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 20:11

The other thing I'm not sure if people have mentioned, is the fact that Red Bull will probably have a vacancy come 2014/15 if the Vettel/Ferrari rumours are true.

This allows Hamilton a chance to succeed at Merc, and become a new Schumi, and if it fails its almost certain Red Bull would take him to replace Vettel. So its far from the end of the world, even if Merc turn out shit.

What makes you think Red Bull will remain competitive? It is very plausible they could drop off the radar come 2014, the current set of regs could just have been around at the right time for them to capitalise.

#1209 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,850 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 20:12

So in 2014, if Mercedes have an awful year, Red Bull will buy out Hamiltons contract? Really?

#1210 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,850 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 20:14

What makes you think Red Bull will remain competitive? It is very plausible they could drop off the radar come 2014, the current set of regs could just have been around at the right time for them to capitalise.

Indeed, I thought one of the main reasons for Hamilton looking favourably on Mercedes was that they're a factory team i.e. looking good for the 2014 changes.

#1211 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 20:14

So in 2014, if Mercedes have an awful year, Red Bull will buy out Hamiltons contract? Really?

I'm sure The Sham is referring to any possible performance clauses which might be in the contract and would allow Lewis to jump ship before 2015 should Mercedes begin to resemble The Titanic post-iceberg.

Edited by Kvothe, 01 October 2012 - 20:16.

#1212 OoxLox

OoxLox

• 436 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:07

On pure stats you'd have to put it the other way around, given that LH has beaten JB in two of the three races they've both had at Suzuka. That's just stats though. If you take 2009 out of the picture because by that time JB was in an out-developed car and just trying to get enough points to close off the title, they've beaten each other once while driving the same car. Best of three before we declare a winner on this track? :wave:

#1213 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:14

I'm sure The Sham is referring to any possible performance clauses which might be in the contract and would allow Lewis to jump ship before 2015 should Mercedes begin to resemble The Titanic post-iceberg.

thats the way I read his post as well....funny some just want to interpret it another way

#1214 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:23

lol since Hammies Mercedes deal is announced I see his fans commenting left, right and center about life after a failed Mercedes stint, performance clauses and how a 30 y/o Hamilton would still be a hot property on the drivers market after a Mercedes flop.

I do hope Lewis has more confidence in his Mercedes endeavor

#1215 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:31

lol since Hammies Mercedes deal is announced I see his fans commenting left, right and center about life after a failed Mercedes stint, performance clauses and how a 30 y/o Hamilton would still be a hot property on the drivers market after a Mercedes flop.

I do hope Lewis has more confidence in his Mercedes endeavor

It's nothing to do with confidence it's to do with pragmatism.

Edit: The smart (Wo)Man hopes for the best and prepares for the worst.

Edited by Kvothe, 01 October 2012 - 21:34.

#1216 P123

P123

• 8,233 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:38

I wouldn't think so, although I suspect there will be some escape clauses in the contract. As for Red Bull, what is to say Newey would stick around once Vettel leaves.

#1217 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,080 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:40

and how a 30 y/o Hamilton would still be a hot property on the drivers market after a Mercedes flop.

Button was 29 years old when he won his title, last year was maybe his best season in F1, he was 31 years old. Schumacher was 35 years old when he won his last title back in 2004. Fernando is 31 right now and he's driving superbly this year and he's close to win his 3rd title. 25-35 those are best years for F1 driver. So yeah, of course Hamilton will be hot property as a 30 year old guy. :drunk:

#1218 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 21:48

It's nothing to do with confidence it's to do with pragmatism.

Edit: The smart (Wo)Man hopes for the best and prepares for the worst.

The smart fan just enjoys the best

and the driver groupie indeed prepares for the worst

Edited by ayali, 01 October 2012 - 21:49.

#1219 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 22:07

The smart fan just enjoys the best

and the driver groupie indeed prepares for the worst

The pragmatism part was a reference to the implications of Hamilton's move and his/world of F1's possible response so your second sentence doesn't actually make sense.

Amen to your first sentence its why I'm a fan of Lewis.

Advertisement

#1220 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 22:28

Lewis had shit luck at Suzuka in 2010-2011 (gearbox + flat tyre). He probably would have got pole if not for McLaren's gaffe in Q3 last year.

#1221 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,934 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:16

Humm about trophies,i was reading about F1 history and i got some "event" about Alain Prost and Mclaren.

"Prost threw one (Winners Trophy) to the crowd (Monza) in '89 and enraged team boss Ron Dennis."

Don't know if this really happened but Prost was set to leave the team that year.

Edited by Boxerevo, 03 October 2012 - 15:16.

#1222 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:19

Humm about trophies,i was reading about F1 history and i got some "event" about Alain Prost and Mclaren.

"Prost threw one (Winners Trophy) to the crowd (Monza) in '89 and enraged team boss Ron Dennis."

Don't know if this really happened but Prost was set to leave the team that year.

The entire idea that Macca keeps the DRIVER's trophy was laughable.

Ron, do you want my first born also?

I just hope that LH does not get to keep the broken bits of Merc next season....

#1223 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,934 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:24

The entire idea that Macca keeps the DRIVER's trophy was laughable.

Ron, do you want my first born also?

I just hope that LH does not get to keep the broken bits of Merc next season....

Found the video now of Prost doing this,but i will not post here.

PM me if someone wants too see.

Edited by Boxerevo, 03 October 2012 - 15:25.

#1224 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,080 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:13

Wow isn't it odd that there is no single word from Hamilton since he signed for Mercedes!? I can't believe and it's so weird that there is no single interview with him except that one official statement from Mercedes :confused:

#1225 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:15

Wow isn't it odd that there is no single word from Hamilton since he signed for Mercedes!? I can't believe and it's so weird that there is no single interview with him except that one official statement from Mercedes :confused:

Because whatever he says, someone will always find something to pick on - mercedes fans, mclaren fans, haters, fans, mclaren employees, merc employees or whatever. Very much different things to balance out as long as he still is in McLaren.

Edited by Alx09, 03 October 2012 - 17:18.

#1226 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,503 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:17

I think he's being polite. An interview specifically quizzing him on next year and Mercedes, would be seen as him not being able to wait to get out of McLaren.
(...and I don't think that's the case.)

#1227 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:25

Because whatever he says, someone will always find something to pick on - mercedes fans, mclaren fans, haters, fans, mclaren employees, merc employees or whatever. Very much different things to balance out as long as he still is in McLaren.

Exactly just wait until the press conference tomorrow thats gonna cook up a right storm.

#1228 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:31

Im setting my alarm to watch the press conference in the morning.

6am i think.

#1229 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:45

http://www.huffingto.....26pLid=130229

Thats what you get you silly woman , well done Lewis bye bye nicole :wave:

#1230 P123

P123

• 8,233 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 18:05

Erm, perhaps because he is still a contracted McLaren driver.

#1231 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,629 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 18:10

He stopped posting on Twitter since last week which I find very odd.
There could be some truth to this.

#1232 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 18:18

Please God ...let her be gone......

#1233 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,080 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 18:29

Erm, perhaps because he is still a contracted McLaren driver.

yes I know, but these past couple days nothing from Lewis, nothing at all! I didn't expect him to talk about Mercedes but he was silent totally, nothing from him about McLaren too. Like he was swallowed by the Earth. It is just weird, that's all. :well:

#1234 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 774 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 18:31

For once I hope he breaks up with her for good. Lewis needs to be 110% focused next year.

#1235 P123

P123

• 8,233 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 18:32

yes I know, but these past couple days nothing from Lewis, nothing at all! I didn't expect him to talk about Mercedes but he was silent totally, nothing from him about McLaren too. Like he was swallowed by the Earth. It is just weird, that's all. :well:

He's in the Thursday PC, so we'll be hearing plenty from him fairly soon.

#1236 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,212 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 18:44

Good news, With her gone and out from the skirts of McLaren I predict we'll see the real Lewis Hamilton very soon.

Jenson WDC 2013 then from 2014 I foresee a period of ownage for Lewis :)

#1237 Cramadzy

Cramadzy

• 51 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 18:52

Wouldn't surprise me if he begins the pc by stating that he's not there to answer questions about his move to Mercedes, only the race weekend in question. Surely Mclaren would want (demand) that? In a way, I hope he does. It will have the press pack chomping at the bit.

#1238 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:13

How much have you heard from him between any other race?

#1239 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:33

Wouldn't surprise me if he begins the pc by stating that he's not there to answer questions about his move to Mercedes, only the race weekend in question. Surely Mclaren would want (demand) that? In a way, I hope he does. It will have the press pack chomping at the bit.

Yea i hope that happens aswell. There would be too much distraction , all he wants to focus on is winning the suzuka grand prix simple as that. During the weekend i can see BBC and sky having a overflow off Mercedes/Hamilton segments during the build up's, actually its inevitable.

Advertisement

#1240 Coral

Coral

• 2,749 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:35

He stopped posting on Twitter since last week which I find very odd.
There could be some truth to this.

Yes, previously when there were rumours about Lewis and Nicole you could be certain that Lewis would be on Twitter immediately denying the rumours...he did this even when he rarely used Twitter. But this time there has been nothing...at all. Which makes me think it is true. As I have said before I think the relationship between Lewis and Nicole has been all but over for some time.

First McLaren, now Nicole...hopefully it's fresh starts all round for Lewis. :)

Edited by Coral, 03 October 2012 - 19:37.

#1241 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:38

I don't know about Nicole, but I have got to say I will not miss the race directors finding any excuse to have her in any shot available.

It gets ridiculous when during an important part of the race.

#1242 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,405 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 19:44

Coral, it must feel like having all your Christmas's and birthdays in one go, as I know you've been wanting this for a long while. :lol:

#1243 royalblue0

royalblue0

• 497 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:08

Yes, previously when there were rumours about Lewis and Nicole you could be certain that Lewis would be on Twitter immediately denying the rumours...he did this even when he rarely used Twitter. But this time there has been nothing...at all. Which makes me think it is true. As I have said before I think the relationship between Lewis and Nicole has been all but over for some time.

:up:

#1244 P123

P123

• 8,233 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:16

It gets ridiculous when during an important part of the race.

Showing wives/ girlfriends is an old habit of the directors. I wouldn't think showing Scherzinger is such an issue considering she is rarely at races.

#1245 SR388

SR388

• 3,809 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:22

I disagree!

Lewis should be able to speak his mind about whatever he feels. MW has had no trouble talking about Perez, or discussing the deal they offered our boy. Lewis should have the same ability.

#1246 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,605 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:29

I disagree!

Lewis should be able to speak his mind about whatever he feels. MW has had no trouble talking about Perez, or discussing the deal they offered our boy. Lewis should have the same ability.

He still might choose not to. He will want to focus on getting a result in Japan, and trying to get back in the hunt for the WDC. Talking, and therefore thinking, about the Mercedes move would be a distraction.

#1247 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,266 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:37

i thought his bad results this year were due to team , mechanical issues, good to know that it was her fault and now that she is gone their will be no issues, you never know , maybe when the team messed up his pitstops it was because the tire guys were looking at her.

#1248 Cramadzy

Cramadzy

• 51 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 20:41

I disagree!

Fair point. But will Lewis want the entire conference dominated by the questions pertaining to his move? The main issue, if Mclaren and he have agreed to allow the questions, will be 'was it all about the money' and every other iteration of that question if he answers the initial one 'no'. It could start a free for all and result in every other driver bar Perez effectively being sidelined from the pc. My money is on a d-notice regarding questions of that nature until perhaps the very end when himself and Perez could answer one each.

They are there to race. Lewis doesn't need any more distraction, he's still drawing a wage from Mclaren and needs to win in Suzuka if he wants to keep his slim championship hopes alive.

I agree that he should be able to say what he likes, particularly in view of MW's comments since the news broke (which come across as somewhat face-saving imo), but above all he should be concentrating on taking the #1 to his new team and I can't see how a q&a heavily weighted around his recent move will help on that front. Could be wrong though and he might be itching to tell all, but I just can't see it.

#1249 Coral

Coral

• 2,749 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 21:44

Coral, it must feel like having all your Christmas's and birthdays in one go, as I know you've been wanting this for a long while. :lol:

:lol:

Yes indeed...it feels good! :up: :up: :up:

#1250 SmokeScreen

SmokeScreen

• 185 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 22:07

interesting:
http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Lewis is not trying to sound the victim here

so is Ron not speaking to Lewis?