Photo

Lewis Hamilton - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3972 replies to this topic

#1401 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:46

Guys I actually think Lewis is in good stead for the race. His long runs we the Best through the Practice sessions.. if he switches out for the hards early enough he might make up some ground on the tyre burners in front. Jenson won't be problem, he'll have him in the first turn.

Advertisement

#1402 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:50

Guys I actually think Lewis is in good stead for the race. His long runs we the Best through the Practice sessions.. if he switches out for the hards early enough he might make up some ground on the tyre burners in front. Jenson won't be problem, he'll have him in the first turn.

:rolleyes: ive seen some messed up posts today but yours take the biscuit .

#1403 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:57

Why do you say that? He implied in the interview that we would like to return one day, the whole "don't burn down the bridge" story.

He is an obvious troll.

#1404 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,274 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:09

I'm quite certain McLaren not need to worry as long as there's no actual papers, pictures or digital data involved.

Surely TDG has an eidetic memory.

#1405 as65p

as65p

• 17,280 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:12

You might actually want to watch the drivers press conference from Thursday to put things in context. If it suits you, that is.

I mean it's unheard of for drivers to take plans to other teams, right? I was under the impression that when a driver left a team they had their memory erased MIB III style to prevent such things happening. :well:

Seriously.

Of course it goes on all the time, in the background. However, this is the first time I hear about a leaving driver being so smart to express his "newfound interest" in technical details blatantly enough for team members to notice, and comment upon it.

Anyway, as I said I don't think McLaren need to worry. I expect Hamiltons capability to store valuable information to just about match his subtlety in aquiring it.

#1406 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 570 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:14

Of course it goes on all the time, in the background. However, this is the first time I hear about a leaving driver being so smart to express his "newfound interest" in technical details blatantly enough for team members to notice, and comment upon it.

Anyway, as I said I don't think McLaren need to worry. I expect Hamiltons capability to store valuable information to just about match his subtlety in aquiring it.

He didn't say he had a new found interest. The press added that bit in to sell a few more copies.

#1407 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:15

What a lovely way to repay the team that's helped you since you were 13 :well:

Giving them their first and only drivers title since 1999 ? B*stard !

#1408 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,178 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:16

Why didnt he sign for a GP2 team?

Even if he wanted to it's not allowed. :p

#1409 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:19

Equally i expect Hamiltons capability to store valuable information is about impressive as your ability to grasp that nobody has cared for a long time what you think on the subject of Lewis Hamilton.

#1410 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,310 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:22

Equally i expect Hamiltons capability to store valuable information is about impressive as your ability to grasp that nobody has cared for a long time what you think on the subject of Lewis Hamilton.

Looks like you care.

#1411 as65p

as65p

• 17,280 posts

So we agree about the lack of danger for McLarens intellectual property?

#1412 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

full 10 min interview with Lee

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/19826361

I'm not sure what to make of that interview really. His rather long pause when asked if McLaren could have done more to keep him was curious. As was the bit where he said he has wanted a new challenge for a while and wants to mix it up in the mid field. Of all drivers in F1, Lewis does not strike me as someone who wants to be in the mid field. Even on a temporary basis.

Edited by pRy, 06 October 2012 - 19:23.

#1413 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 592 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:25

I'm not sure what to make of that interview really. His rather long pause when asked if McLaren could have done more to keep him was curious. As was the bit where he said he has wanted a new challenge for a while and wants to mix it up in the mid field. Of all drivers in F1, Lewis does not strike me as someone who wants to be in the mid field. Even on a temporary basis.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this whole story.

#1414 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:26

So we agree about the lack of danger for McLarens intellectual property?

Totally, no sarcasm either, its not Lewis's strong point, which might make you wonder the hypocrisy and sniping at you, problem is your opinion matters less then mine because my post history isnt littered with anti-(driver) diatribe. Yours is. People dont take you seriously when you want to be serious if all your posts on said subject are like, pathetic.

#1415 as65p

as65p

• 17,280 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:27

He didn't say he had a new found interest. The press added that bit in to sell a few more copies.

On the contrary, the term appears to be a direct quote, as the quotation marks suggest:

... insiders at McLaren have been wryly amused by what they have described as "newfound interest" ...

Nobody implied it were Hamilton words, try to follow.

#1416 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:28

Looks like you care.

The other one joins in! Welcome to the party man! Hamilton dart boards in the back.

I care about two things and two things only, sleeping and f******, and ive just finished my nap.....

#1417 as65p

as65p

• 17,280 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:29

Totally, no sarcasm either, its not Lewis's strong point, which might make you wonder the hypocrisy and sniping at you, problem is your opinion matters less then mine because my post history isnt littered with anti-(driver) diatribe. Yours is. People dont take you seriously when you want to be serious if all your posts on said subject are like, pathetic.

:lol: No problem at all. Matter away, don't worry what people think about me, preferably starting with yourself! :wave:

#1418 PinkZepStones

PinkZepStones

• 220 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:32

:lol: No problem at all. Matter away, don't worry what people think about me, preferably starting with yourself! :wave:

:( i thought we could be friends if i talked crap about Hamilton :( (note to self: MUST TRY HARDER!)

#1419 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 592 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:35

Was that on the qualy setup?

Advertisement

#1420 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,663 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:37

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this whole story.

What is not clear to me is whether this was a finely balanced decision in Lewis's mind (i.e. whether he came anywhere close to being swayed by McLaren), or whether he was leaving irrespective of what McLaren did. Is this what he really wanted? Is this what McLaren really wanted? Or did events take on a life of their own (aided by XIX, perhaps)?

#1421 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,663 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:42

What is not clear to me is whether this was a finely balanced decision in Lewis's mind (i.e. whether he came anywhere close to being swayed by McLaren), or whether he was leaving irrespective of what McLaren did. Is this what he really wanted? Is this what McLaren really wanted? Or did events take on a life of their own (aided by XIX, perhaps)?

While wondering whether this was what anyone involved actually wanted, I just realised - it was what Bernie wanted.

#1422 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:46

Not according to him.

He also said it's been something he's wanted for quite a while

#1423 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,663 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:50

Not according to him.

He also said it's been something he's wanted for quite a while

Fair enough. I suspected it was a done deal (though maybe not finally signed, due to the need for the Mercedes board decision) a long time before it was announced.

#1424 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:52

Seems to me he wanted a change...I'm pretty sure that change would have red bull given the chance but the only other option was mercedes and he's bought into Brawn's vision.

I don't really get the negativity about the move, he's made a brave choice imo, regardless of how much we think lewis can add or any driver can add to a team. As he said the obvious and easy choice was to stay.

I also thought it was a good interview, Lewis's comments, imo anyway, often come across much better when you watch him saying them rather than see them in print.

#1425 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:56

I think the stuff about wanting to struggle is justification he's trying to add post discussion. It's not like he's shown he can win championship after championship in a top team.

#1426 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,882 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:58

Then what about Jenson's problems from China until Germany? And he has more than 200 gps...

Unacceptable. Cost him the title.

#1427 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:16

Surely TDG has an eidetic memory.

The TDG does not remember ... he just knows

#1428 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,663 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:17

I think the stuff about wanting to struggle is justification he's trying to add post discussion. It's not like he's shown he can win championship after championship in a top team.

It doesn't sound very convincing. How will he react if Mercedes are struggling next year, while other drivers add to their world titles. It seems likely that 2012 will see a new triple world champion (SV or FA) and 2013 could see yet another triple WDC or have Button or Raikkonen get a second title. I thought this was supposed to be part of the reason Lewis had his issues in 2011.

#1429 as65p

as65p

• 17,280 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:17

The TDG does not remember ... he just knows

:D :up:

#1430 bub

bub

• 2,248 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:18

My personal opinion is that Hamilton wasn't enjoying life at McLaren so wanted to go somewhere else. I do however believe him when he says he wants to be a part of building up a successful team. McLaren were already a big, successful team when he joined so probably see themselves as much bigger than the driver and may not have given Hamilton the importance and respect he wanted, especially since he's been there since he was a child. Hamilton probably thinks he'll get that respect etc at Mercedes who most likely also did a good job of selling him their vision for the future.

#1431 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,282 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:23

The other one joins in! Welcome to the party man! Hamilton dart boards in the back.

I care about two things and two things only, sleeping and f******, and ive just finished my nap.....

KR thread is that way ------->

Edited by jjcale, 06 October 2012 - 20:26.

#1432 pRy

pRy

• 10,920 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:03

Certainly, I think a return is possible. But he’s joining a strong team in Mercedes and I don’t think he’ll be coming back any time soon.

MW just being Mr Nice Guy or has he suggested to Lewis if it doesn't work out he could come back? Lewis himself joked about it in the BBC interview which I thought was just Lewis struggling to move on just yet but I hadn't realised MW had said the above.

#1433 10e10

10e10

• 804 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 21:21

MW just being Mr Nice Guy or has he suggested to Lewis if it doesn't work out he could come back? Lewis himself joked about it in the BBC interview which I thought was just Lewis struggling to move on just yet but I hadn't realised MW had said the above.

Why not? He always said his team was McLaren, maybe he is just leaving for personal satisfaction, and still likes the team and wishes to return one day. Again I ask, why not?

#1434 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,316 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:26

In the bbc exit interview Lewis' intentions appear pure but i cant help but think the Merc guys might be offended that he thinks they need Lewis' help to turn them around. He also gives McLaren a little kick saying next years car wont really be much better than this years. Lewis is a great driver but he's got a lot to learn still.

#1435 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:54

In the bbc exit interview Lewis' intentions appear pure but i cant help but think the Merc guys might be offended that he thinks they need Lewis' help to turn them around. He also gives McLaren a little kick saying next years car wont really be much better than this years. Lewis is a great driver but he's got a lot to learn still.

He's not giving mclaren a kick at all, he's getting at the fact that they only need to evolve the existing car because the rule aren't changing and this year's car is great whereas mercedes might need to build a completely new car.

I know what you mean about the merc comments though, I think Lewis is just trying to explain his decision but he's still rubbish at considering how his words will be spread and may be perceived by others, I've always thought he speaks as if in a private conversation - like the blowing away alonso comments - in the context of the conversation he was having there's nothing in them but clearly it's not going to look great when splashed across the media.

Edited by robefc, 06 October 2012 - 22:54.

#1436 P123

P123

• 8,353 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 23:03

Agreed. He lacks any sort of political skills. Too often he speaks without any ability to comprehend how his words may be perceived by others.

#1437 bub

bub

• 2,248 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 23:48

i cant help but think the Merc guys might be offended that he thinks they need Lewis' help to turn them around.

I doubt it. Did he say they need his help?

Edited by bub, 06 October 2012 - 23:51.

#1438 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:45

KR thread is that way ------->

:up: :rotfl:

#1439 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:47

Is it possible that I am going to be the first person to mention this?

Lewis was outqualified by the guy who is going to replace him... - in a Sauber. McLaren must be wondering why they didn't sign Kobayashi...

Advertisement

#1440 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,595 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:58

In the bbc exit interview Lewis' intentions appear pure but i cant help but think the Merc guys might be offended that he thinks they need Lewis' help to turn them around...

Offended? If anything Mercedes agrees. They are not in denial.

#1441 MP422

MP422

• 1,851 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:22

Ross Brawn gonna drive the car ? Seriously people....

#1442 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,902 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:47

Is it possible that I am going to be the first person to mention this?

Lewis was outqualified by the guy who is going to replace him... - in a Sauber. McLaren must be wondering why they didn't sign Kobayashi...

Irrelevant.

#1443 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:19

Irrelevant.

In what way is this irrelevant?

I'll be if Lewis were on pole and Perez in 9th, you wouldn't have considered THAT irrelevant... even though that is what their respective car's performance might suggest is a more likely outcome...

#1444 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,902 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:23

In what way is this irrelevant?

I'll be if Lewis were on pole and Perez in 9th, you wouldn't have considered THAT irrelevant... even though that is what their respective car's performance might suggest is a more likely outcome...

Perez outqualifying Hamilton is irrelevant. Does it actually matter? Does it mean anything? Does it prove anything? No. Hamilton was hindered by a bad setup and the yellow flags. You tell me how Perez outqualifying Hamilton is relevant to the fact Perez is replacing Hamilton.

Edited by HuddersfieldTerrier1986, 07 October 2012 - 03:24.

#1445 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:32

Perez outqualifying Hamilton is irrelevant. Does it actually matter? Does it mean anything? Does it prove anything? No. Hamilton was hindered by a bad setup and the yellow flags. You tell me how Perez outqualifying Hamilton is relevant to the fact Perez is replacing Hamilton.

Perez didn't bugger up his set up.

Perez was outqualified by his teammate by 3/10ths - Lewis was outqualified by his team-mate by over a second.

Alonso was hampered by yellow flags too - worse than Hamilton - and he starts 6th.

Perhaps you DON'T think that Perez outqualifying Hamilton at their first race after the deal is "relevant". I'll bet you that McLaren does.

Worse for Hamilton - I'll bet you Mercedes does too...

#1446 Raifosa

Raifosa

• 468 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:23

Perez didn't bugger up his set up.

Perez was outqualified by his teammate by 3/10ths - Lewis was outqualified by his team-mate by over a second.

Alonso was hampered by yellow flags too - worse than Hamilton - and he starts 6th.

Perhaps you DON'T think that Perez outqualifying Hamilton at their first race after the deal is "relevant". I'll bet you that McLaren does.

Worse for Hamilton - I'll bet you Mercedes does too...

Fortunately, teams don't fuction under the "you're only as as good as your last race/quali" principle.

#1447 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 563 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:51

It'll be crazy tough, but we're not out of the championship yet...

#1448 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:54

So can Lewis still win the title? I hope he can beat Vettel at least.

#1449 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:56

Absolutely he can.

Let's say Hamilton finishes 1st in all 5 of the remaining races, and Vettel 2nd in all of those, then he will pass him, as an example.

Edited by Alx09, 07 October 2012 - 07:57.

#1450 peroa

peroa

• 8,920 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:57

So can Lewis still win the title? I hope he can beat Vettel at least.

If he won Singapore, maybe, now, with the current state of the RBR, I really don't think so.