• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3972 replies to this topic

#1451 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:59

Absolutely he can.

Let's say Hamilton finishes 1st in all 5 of the remaining races
, and Vettel 2nd in all of those, then he will pass him, as an example.

Before this race it was no reason why he couldn't win 6 in a row...

Advertisement

#1452 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:59

If he won Singapore, maybe, now, with the current state of the RBR, I really don't think so.

That could all change if vettel has another dnf...

#1453 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:00

Perez didn't bugger up his set up.

Perez was outqualified by his teammate by 3/10ths - Lewis was outqualified by his team-mate by over a second.

Alonso was hampered by yellow flags too - worse than Hamilton - and he starts 6th.

Perhaps you DON'T think that Perez outqualifying Hamilton at their first race after the deal is "relevant". I'll bet you that McLaren does.

Worse for Hamilton - I'll bet you Mercedes does too...

Maybe they think binning it is relevant as well ;)

Although I have to admit, I was thinking of this post when perez went off near the start and glad I didn't reply then given he then came bombing past lewis! :D

#1454 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,365 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:01

what a great weekend for Hamilton to have set up problems.... gr

#1455 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,133 posts

If he won Singapore, maybe, now, with the current state of the RBR, I really don't think so.

I agree. 5 races left -42 points. Now he needs 9 points per race against two drivers! Very tough job but we can hope he can come 2nd in the championship ahead of Alonso. Vettel will be 3xWDC 70% :well:

#1456 peroa

peroa

• 8,985 posts

That could all change if vettel has another dnf...

You can't depend on others bad luck, you have to make your own.
RBR makes their own luck, you can't be anything else but impressed by that team.

#1457 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,744 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:03

This isn't totally out of the question just yet, but it would've been so much nicer had he managed a few points more this weekend, but the outlook wasn't bright with the set-up being so off. The final result was actually better than I feared.

#1458 P123

P123

• 8,709 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:05

Perez was outqualified by his teammate by 3/10ths - Lewis was outqualified by his team-mate by over a second.

Alonso was hampered by yellow flags too - worse than Hamilton - and he starts 6th.

Perhaps you DON'T think that Perez outqualifying Hamilton at their first race after the deal is "relevant". I'll bet you that McLaren does.

Ah ha ha ha! I wondered who would be trawling the threads with this sort of nonsense. Perez has outqualified LH before, and Button too. It shouldn't need pointing out, but the Sauber was quite good in Suzuka, and has also been quite rapid on similar tracks this season. Should LH have qualified that badly? No. Does it ultimately make Perez better than Hamilton and confirm McLaren's decision to sign Perez as 100% correct... erm, no. Are MErc running around after this race weeping.... erm, you wish. I would hope teams are a little saner than keyboard warriors. You should now have the evidence of the race to highlight the foolishness of your desperation to have a po-faced pop at Hamilton.

5th place for Hamilton. After a poor quali and generally poor pace in the race I'd say that was damage limitation. On to the next one. Unfortunately for him making that slightly smaller gap to Vettel looks a much harder task than making the gap to Alonso.

#1459 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:06

I think he did pretty well considering how bad he/they made the car.

Pass on Kimi was huge and could have genuine impacts down the line.

Advertisement

#1460 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,365 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:08

RBR seems like a rocket ship now though.

Anyone surprised they didn't let Hamilton have 4th?

#1461 light

light

• 143 posts

today was actually a great for Lewis even tho he was slow as hell and its all down to the fact that Alonso DNF'd....who'd have thought that before the lights went out he would cut the championship lead by 10 points?
5 races to go and if mclaren can unlock the speed in that mclaren again then its game on.

#1462 speng

speng

• 1,300 posts

This isn't totally out of the question just yet, but it would've been so much nicer had he managed a few points more this weekend, but the outlook wasn't bright with the set-up being so off. The final result was actually better than I feared.

Agreed.

#1463 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,240 posts

Before this race it was no reason why he couldn't win 6 in a row...

Well I can think a couple... has he ever achieved a similar feat? Also, has ANYBODY ever achieved such a feat in the closing stages of the championship, coming from behind?

#1464 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 629 posts

On the contrary, the term appears to be a direct quote, as the quotation marks suggest:

Nobody implied it were Hamilton words, try to follow.

Make your mind up, it's either a direct quote or not. Perhaps you should watch the press conference, I certainly can't recall him using the words "newfound interest" at any point.

So so result today though. Where has McLaren's pace gone?

#1465 Asterion

Asterion

• 588 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:09

Ha! Not at all.

#1466 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:09

Hamilton today raced both with brain and heart,very good display.

About the wdc,i don't have hopes at all,would be a miracle to do the next 5 races perfect.

#1467 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,140 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:10

What the hell happened to Lewis !! Where is the pace ? Setup screwed him.

#1468 P123

P123

• 8,709 posts

Maybe they think binning it is relevant as well ;)

Although I have to admit, I was thinking of this post when perez went off near the start and glad I didn't reply then given he then came bombing past lewis! :D

Yes, sometimes best to hold back on the temptation to have a cheap dig at drivers. Bruce certainly isn't alone on here, but oh dear... and a similar example would be akin to suggesting Perez is taking a huge risk going to McLaren given that Sauber beat McLaren in a straight fight this race. What must Perez be thinking? :cat: A fake viewpoint built on sand..... sounds good if you dislike McLaren, etc, etc

#1469 Moore

Moore

• 400 posts

Why would you be surprised? JB was challenging for a podium and finished 15 seconds up the road, use your head mate, JB isn't going to slow down 15 secs just to let LH get 2(?) extra points.

Also, the setup issues Hamilton had affected him and this is definitely the best result he could of got this weekend. LH and his team of engineer's really need to get there heads in shape for these 5 last races.

#1470 NateF

NateF

• 1,066 posts

Hamilton dropped 20s behind Button. Button would have to had come almost a stop for that happen.

#1471 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,240 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:11

Make your mind up, it's either a direct quote or not. Perhaps you should watch the press conference, I certainly can't recall him using the words "newfound interest" at any point.

You saw the press conference with the team member that was quoted in the article. Cool. Which channel, when?

#1472 P123

P123

• 8,709 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:12

No, LH didn't have anywhere near the pace of JB. They maximised constructors points by letting them race. Had LH been stuck behind JB I'm sure the order would have come through.

#1473 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:13

its a tough task now....either RBR found something or this flexi wing thing hurt us more than we thought......but RBR has found the right note with Adrian Newey conducting the ochestra..........

#1474 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 629 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:13

You saw the press conference with the team member that was quoted in the article. Cool. Which channel, when?

No, that's not what I said at all! The exact opposite infact.

Edited by MrPodium, 07 October 2012 - 08:14.

#1475 P123

P123

• 8,709 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:14

What the hell happened to Lewis !! Where is the pace ? Setup screwed him.

Actually turned out a little better than I'm sure most feared.

#1476 skidmarks

skidmarks

• 102 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:15

Out of the two drivers, one of them finished the race. The other didn't due to their own error. That's the important result, the one that counts and let's be honest, given the issues with the setup with the car; 5th place is pretty respectable.

And you have to remember, it's not JUST Hamilton dictating the setup; it's his engineers too. To pin this purely on one person is a more than just a little ridiculous.

#1477 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,853 posts

I agree. 5 races left -42 points. Now he needs 9 points per race against two drivers! Very tough job but we can hope he can come 2nd in the championship ahead of Alonso. Vettel will be 3xWDC 70% :well:

Well a few races ago it was 10.8 per race so definitely an improvement.

In this his race he basically scored 10 over Alonso which would have been equivalent to a win v third place against him which was the target.

I don't think he'll win the WDC, but lets hope for 5 victories and the best possible chance, especially because I think Vettel will have another DNF down the line.

#1478 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Just by coincidence, on the same week he signs for Mercedes Hamilton has suddenly become very interested in the technical side of the MP4-27, much to the amusement of the McLaren team.

"The last stretch of Lewis Hamilton’s McLaren career has not started well, according to The Independent newspaper.

The report cites McLaren insiders in claiming the Briton has taken a “newfound interest” in the technical details of his 2012 McLaren now that he has decided to jump ship to Mercedes next year.
“He’s been very interested in the exhaust system and the telemetry,” a team insider is quoted as saying.

And Hamilton told reporters on Thursday that he knows all about McLaren’s plans for the 2013 single seater that he will never drive.
"

http://www.independe...st-3251223.html

http://www.inautonew...ch#.UHBiL66OhRc

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: naughty boy

#1479 MinT

MinT

• 2,106 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:16

Button would of had to have pulled over and stopped for him to catch up and pass is probably why.....

Advertisement

#1480 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,240 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:16

No, that's not what I said at all! The exact opposite infact.

Yeah, I know you didn't say that, in fact your post had about as much relevance to the post you ridiculed as if you were talking about weather. Never did as56p implying it was LEWIS that was quoted.

#1481 Will

Will

• 3,011 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:18

Was a similar type of race to what Alonso was praised for at the beginning of the season, good wheel to wheel decisions, pushing the poor handling car when necessary without destroying tyres. McLaren need to up their game though and get 2 or 3 1-2s before the end of the season for a chance in Wdc and WCC, they seem incapable of ensuring that both drivers are happy with the car in the same race!

#1482 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:20

Well I can think a couple... has he ever achieved a similar feat? Also, has ANYBODY ever achieved such a feat in the closing stages of the championship, coming from behind?

If you check the post I'm replying to it might become apparent you're agreeing with me, if not apologies for the ambiguity.

#1483 P123

P123

• 8,709 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:20

Yeah, I know you didn't say that, in fact your post had about as much relevance to the post you ridiculed as if you were talking about weather. Never did as56p implying it was LEWIS that was quoted.

YEah, yeah, since the move was announced LH hasn't been anywhere near the UK, just where the McLaren factory is located. You can calm your fears. He won't be driving the new McLaren out the front gates under the cover of darkness anytime soon.  ;)

#1484 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 173 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:22

Well I must say, LH drove a very mature race after his stupid mistake with the setup. Didn't got involved in the antics at the start, kept faster drivers behind him and scored some valuable points. If he always used his head like that he might have won multiple wdc's by now. Unfortunatly, thinking is not his biggest asset. That's why he is not on the level of champions like Senna, Schumacher, Prost or even Alonso and Vettel - and never will be in my opinion.

#1485 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,240 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:25

If you check the post I'm replying to it might become apparent you're agreeing with me, if not apologies for the ambiguity.

Ahh, didn't pick the tone of irony out there... Appologies back. Though I have to say one thing... With Lewis ultimately gone it's sad to lose the "one sane man left in the opposing side" in the vs thread... Won't miss the rest though.

#1486 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,853 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:25

Lewis:

'Strange behaviour with the car this weekend'

#1487 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,939 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:26

Well I must say, LH drove a very mature race after his stupid mistake with the setup. Didn't got involved in the antics at the start, kept faster drivers behind him and scored some valuable points. If he always used his head like that he might have won multiple wdc's by now. Unfortunatly, thinking is not his biggest asset. That's why he is not on the level of champions like Senna, Schumacher, Prost or even Alonso and Vettel - and never will be in my opinion.

Cool story bro.

How many more silly myths will there be about Lewis I.e he can't manage his tyres, he's not a car developer.

#1488 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,240 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:27

YEah, yeah, since the move was announced LH hasn't been anywhere near the UK, just where the McLaren factory is located. You can calm your fears. He won't be driving the new McLaren out the front gates under the cover of darkness anytime soon. ;)

Well, like as65p, I'm not overtly worried...

#1489 P123

P123

• 8,709 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:27

Lewis:

'Strange behaviour with the car this weekend'

Yes, it's called a bad setup!

#1490 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,240 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:28

Was he... gasp... having balance issues???

#1491 fastwriter

fastwriter

• 173 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:28

Cool story bro.

How many more silly myths will there be about Lewis I.e he can't manage his tyres, he's not a car developer.

Yeah, reality is hard to take. But on the other hand: If you are a fan, you have to stand your ground. I accept that.

#1492 P123

P123

• 8,709 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:29

Well, like as65p, I'm not overtly worried...

Well good, neither would I be given that I think the story is bollocks and there is no way in hell of a driver knowing important tech details if a team don't want him to. Especially when he's been on the other side of the world since the move was announced... :D

#1493 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:31

Just saw the interview with Lewis,he seems pretty happy with his performance,the car just need to be alittle quicker.I think Korea should be better.

#1494 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,853 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:31

His words, he said 'on lap 29 there was a thud on his right rear, and than the car just started turning.'

I wonder what that was all about, maybe someone with engineering expertise or detailed car knowledge could explain it for us?

Edited by Kvothe, 07 October 2012 - 08:33.

#1495 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,240 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:34

Well good, neither would I be given that I think the story is bollocks and there is no way in hell of a driver knowing important tech details if a team don't want him to. Especially when he's been on the other side of the world since the move was announced... :D

I don't think that the thing folks are talking about is that they are worried that Lewis walks out with Mac '13 car's blueprints recorded into his brain, it's just a chuckle that now that he is going he is suddenly interested in things that he wasn't all that much into and is apparently doing a very poor job covering it :)

#1496 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,307 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:39

Very good day for LH, all in all.... very professional mature drive

...did he do a little brake test on his replacement? ...looked that way at first but on replay it looked like SP made a mistake .... but did it look a bit naughty by LH at first to anyone esle?

#1497 OO7

OO7

• 9,379 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:40

Absolutely he can.

Let's say Hamilton finishes 1st in all 5 of the remaining races, and Vettel 2nd in all of those, then he will pass him, as an example.

But this has been said since Spa, it already hasn't happen and it still won't.

#1498 peroa

peroa

• 8,985 posts

...did he do a little brake test on his replacement? ...looked that way at first but on replay it looked like SP made a mistake .... but did it look a bit naughty by LH at first to anyone esle?

Nope, Ant explaining it right now.

#1499 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Nice analysis of Lewis's move on Kimi but particularly his defending from perez by ant.

Advertisement

#1500 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:41

He just moved across to the middle of the track so Perez, planning to brake later, had nowhere to go.