Photo

Lewis Hamilton - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3972 replies to this topic

#1551 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:35

You better learn to read properly. I as well stated, that Lewis had a mature drive today and that he has a clean season. But (and that's what makes me mad): He is not the F1 Superhero his Fans and the british media try to make him. He has shortcomings in his personality that prevented him up until now, to maximise his potential. Other drivers (past&current) are much better in that aspect - getting all out of themselves. Hamilton doesn't, and I personally think that's a shame. He ist wastin' his talents a bit. This season, he finally seems to have understood, what matters (except stupid things like twittering telemetry data). But obviously, in Suzuka, he made a mistake. It's the driver who decides in the end, where to go with the setup. That's a fact in karting already. The driver tells the engineer, what he wants.
So, yes I found a fault by Lewis - and quite a significant one, looking at the stage of the championship. And I as well appreciated, how he coped with his mistake in the race. So my view is not so one sided as you pretend.

Well I cannot be agree with you. Why you say that? What are the proves? Imo he gave his best but he was not enough because there are other drivers and teams better (whom maybe doesn´t gave his best either... who knows?), and he can answer about his mistakes (setup or a simple mistake on his flying lap), but there are 90% of other things out of his control and that´s why you can have a wrong image.

Agree with you about the setup. Considering he has been driving the fastest car of the grid (overall), he made some mistakes choosing the setup at Spa and at Suzuka and also on qualy. on his flying lap.

Advertisement

#1552 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:49

His words, he said 'on lap 29 there was a thud on his right rear, and than the car just started turning.'

I wonder what that was all about, maybe someone with engineering expertise or detailed car knowledge could explain it for us?

That is definitely a differential problem. The clutches in the differential were obviously not locking the right way. I think it is definitely related to Jenson's problem with the wheel sensors not working. Even if the signal from wheel speed sensors are off by a small percent the car won't turn properly.
Certainly another reliability problem on Mclaren's hands. Notice the Whitmarsh was very sure to highlight Hamilton's issues in his interview but he didn't even speak much about Jenson which is very unusual.

#1553 peroa

peroa

• 8,865 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:51

That is definitely a differential problem. The clutches in the differential were obviously not locking the right way. I think it is definitely related to Jenson's problem with the wheel sensors not working. Even if the signal from wheel speed sensors are off by a small percent the car won't turn properly.
Certainly another reliability problem on Mclaren's hands. Notice the Whitmarsh was very sure to highlight Hamilton's issues in his interview but he didn't even speak much about Jenson which is very unusual.

Well, I thought diff too, but I find it hard to believe that an army of engineers couldn't locate this issue.
But since it's McLaren ...

#1554 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,419 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:55

So it wasn't set-up - it was actually a diff playing up?

I despair...........

#1555 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:03

Well, I thought diff too, but I find it hard to believe that an army of engineers couldn't locate this issue.
But since it's McLaren ...

Of course they found the issue but it was just too late ( My thoughts of course). As I said, it's one of those problems that is hard to detect. 1 second a lap slower only translates to minute pressure differences in the clutch pack and wheel speeds. The pretty found the issue I think, after comparing the data from Jenson's car during the race.

There is no way to fix it anyway, unless Lewis retired the car. :drunk:
From Hamilton said he heard a thud and then the car suddenly started working... it's obviously a mechanical problem...dampers, wings, ridehight and tyre pressure don't do that; It's pretty obvious that something was wrong with the differential/speed sensors.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like.. but

Edited by whitevisor, 07 October 2012 - 17:05.

#1556 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:08

Its all about putting yourself in the best position so you can take advantage if something goes wrong.

Either way, Alonso has hardly benefitted much from Lewis DNF's.

Valencia - Alonso was already ahead. No benefit.
Hockenheim - Alonso was ahead already. No benefit.
Spa - Alonso was ahead already, likely would have finished ahead, and was taken out anyways.
Singapore - 1st time Alonso actually benefits giving him the opportunity for the podium.

I never said benefitted. I'm on about the fact that Hamilton's dnfs have all came at brilliant races for Alonso, whereas Alonso's dnfs have come at bad times for Lewis. it could easily have been the other way around.

#1557 10e10

10e10

• 802 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:19

Can non UK guys see it somewhere?

Yes, I would like to watch it aswell.

#1558 skidmarks

skidmarks

• 102 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:27

You better learn to read properly. I as well stated, that Lewis had a mature drive today and that he has a clean season.

Looking at your post that I quoted, you didn't mention that at all. My reading is just fine.

But (and that's what makes me mad): He is not the F1 Superhero his Fans and the british media try to make him. He has shortcomings in his personality that prevented him up until now, to maximise his potential. Other drivers (past&current) are much better in that aspect - getting all out of themselves.

That's a purely subjective measurement. Which you're entitled to. But if you're going to rant about it and use it to tell other people how wrong they are, I'm sure many of us would like to hear the facts that back it up. In fact, you could consider it good manners to produce your evidence.

But obviously, in Suzuka, he made a mistake. It's the driver who decides in the end, where to go with the setup. That's a fact in karting already. The driver tells the engineer, what he wants.

So you're trying to tell us all that even though it's the job the engineers to make the car behave in a certain way, they're absolved of any responsibility because it's the driver dictating what he wants? And if they mess up in say, failing to revert the car to its previous setup, that's not their fault, but the drivers?

It's possible that they might have told Lewis it would be a bad idea and he ignored it, but there's no evidence of that.

So, yes I found a fault by Lewis - and quite a significant one, looking at the stage of the championship.

That's a very simplistic way to look at it. The driver can only make a decision based on the information presented to him by his engineers. He has to make the choice whether to stay with the current setup or to try and find more speed. That much is true. But if his engineers tell him "yeah, we think we can get more out of it because of reason x, y and z" he has to trust them.

And let's be truthful; one setup mistake in 16 races is hardly as big a deal as you're making out.

#1559 bauss

bauss

• 4,963 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:30

just seen the BBC video... I disagree with many here.

It should have been emotional, but I couldn't help think, what is this bulls**t? 3/5 or more of the video was focusing on every thing that went wrong with the partnership, there was even a practice crash or so there...while we only had a quick montage in the end of the victories.

Ehh...not impressed

Advertisement

#1560 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:04

It should have been emotional, but I couldn't help think, what is this bulls**t? 3/5 or more of the video was focusing on every thing that went wrong with the partnership, there was even a practice crash or so there...while we only had a quick montage in the end of the victories.

Ehh...not impressed

Maybe it was emotional for some people. Like Batman at the Joker's funeral. Good times, good times they will say.

#1561 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:22

the WDC has been over for a long time, and even I am the biggest optimist but it rips my heart out to think that once again cruel luck has denied Hamilton a title for the third time, while vettel rides away in the red bull as they have a pace advantage now.
looking at this season and declaring vettel a 3x wdc and Hamilton a 1x wdc defies all logic.

#1562 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,719 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:24

Ehh...not impressed

The guy is just changing teams by his own choice. He didn't retire or get injured.

#1563 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:26

So it wasn't set-up - it was actually a diff playing up?

I despair...........

C'mon nobody is that crap ...

#1564 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:30

You seem to have way more technical knowledge than I do ,,,, but isnt that a bit of a leap based on the limited info available?

#1565 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:49

38 point to Vettel. Without Singapore DNF it would be just 6 points. Unbelievable how many points McLaren threw away.

#1566 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,556 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:57

38 point to Vettel. Without Singapore DNF it would be just 6 points. Unbelievable how many points McLaren threw away.

Didn't Vettel also have a reliability DNF from the lead in Valencia. I have not kept track of which of the two has suffered most from technical problems, but I know Seb has definitely had some.

#1567 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:59

Didn't Vettel also have a reliability DNF from the lead in Valencia. I have not kept track of which of the two has suffered most from technical problems, but I know Seb has definitely had some.

Also monza garoidb he was running 5th at the time

#1568 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:34

he was running 8th/9th

#1569 Mario5

Mario5

• 271 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:14

the WDC has been over for a long time, and even I am the biggest optimist but it rips my heart out to think that once again cruel luck has denied Hamilton a title for the third time, while vettel rides away in the red bull as they have a pace advantage now.
looking at this season and declaring vettel a 3x wdc and Hamilton a 1x wdc defies all logic.

Here's a thought, and I hope it's not too outlandish and ludicrous: maybe Vettel is the better F1 driver.

#1570 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:32

Here's a thought, and I hope it's not too outlandish and ludicrous: maybe Vettel is the better F1 driver.

:rotfl:

#1571 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:38

http://forums.autosp...w...0&start=440

#1572 joshb

joshb

• 3,253 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:02

:up:

:lol:

#1573 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:37

You seem to have way more technical knowledge than I do ,,,, but isnt that a bit of a leap based on the limited info available?

Only logical explanation based on the evidence.

#1574 davies85

davies85

• 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:38

just in from lewis's twitter:LewisHamilton: Just noticed @jensonbutton unfollowed, thats a shame. After 3 years as teammates, I thought we respected one another but clearly he doesn't.

#1575 davies85

davies85

• 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:38

just in from lewis's twitter:LewisHamilton: Just noticed @jensonbutton unfollowed, thats a shame. After 3 years as teammates, I thought we respected one another but clearly he doesn't.

#1576 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:39

yes uh-oh! but Jenson said he never did follow him, so maybe Lewis has made a cock of himself.

I think he just wanted to have a dig at Jenson tbh!

Edited by TomNokoe, 07 October 2012 - 22:39.

#1577 Les

Les

• 2,067 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:39

Should have been appended with #childishstroptime.

Edited by Les, 07 October 2012 - 22:40.

#1578 davies85

davies85

• 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:41

LewisHamilton: Funny thing is, we are STILL teammates! All good tho, I plan on giving this team & fans all I got til I cross the finish line in brazil!!!

#1579 P123

P123

• 8,157 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:41

JB never followed him and even if he did I'm not sure why LH should give a damn. It's the sort of thing that should bring a smile to his face. JB follows most F1 Twitterers, apart from Hamilton and Alonso for some reason.

Advertisement

#1580 P123

P123

• 8,157 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:43

Should have been appended with #childishstroptime.

Heh- LH really needs to engage his brain when posting comments on Twitter. He has a certain way of phrasing things that sometimes get him in trouble, but on Twitter you would think he would give it a bit more consideration given the audience!

#1581 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,141 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:44

2 000 Retweets in 6 mins... Damn, good job there!

I think this might have erupted come monday morning. Stay tuned

#1582 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:45

yes uh-oh! but Jenson said he never did follow him, so maybe Lewis has made a cock of himself.

Gloves off in every sense of the phrase. I LOVE IT! :clap:

#1583 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:46

only Hamilton could create intra team hostilities over Twitter! :rotfl:

#1584 Les

Les

• 2,067 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:47

Heh- LH really needs to engage his brain when posting comments on Twitter. He has a certain way of phrasing things that sometimes get him in trouble, but on Twitter you would think he would give it a bit more consideration given the audience!

He really needs to grow up. You would think someone still in with a chance of the championship would have bigger things to occupy his time than someone unfollowing him on Twitter!

#1585 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,141 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:49

Trending in third place WORLDWIDE tonight is #RelationshipsFallApartBecause

HAHAHAHAHHA!

#1586 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,835 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:50

I just followed Lewis on twitter, had to laugh at the image he uses.

He really wants to be a rapper doesn't he? perhaps his mind is off driving atm. Who knows.

#1587 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,419 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:50

Posted Image

FFS!

Looks like Lewis has been on the Haribo again....... And hence...... let the fun begin......

See you all for FP1 next week.......

#1588 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:51

Oh shut the **** up Lewis you **** . He never followed you on twitter anyway , just concentrate on you bloody racing . Damn fool

#1589 robefc

robefc

• 8,017 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:52

Completely...and not because he got it wrong but just because it's beyond playground patheticness.

Think I might skip the F1 press this week and the interviews on thursday.

#1590 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 229 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:54

Have to say this is extremely idiotic from Lewis. I thought he was smarter than that to know. I love his tweets at times, especially how he shares most of the extreme and crazy stuff he does. But this is very childish. Jenson will be mad and he has the right. He may not be the better driver but he is a much smarter human being.

#1591 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:55

FFS He really twitted that :rotfl: It looks like he was desperate to find an excuse to say that.

#1592 Les

Les

• 2,067 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:56

Just think about some how some of the major team-mate disputes have started.

Villeneuve/Pironi - Pironi breaks agreement to steal a race win from him.
Senna/Prost - Senna pushes Prost into wall in Portugal, Prost collides with Senna at chicane at Suzuka to settle championship.

Now:
Hamilton/Button - 'He unfollowed me on Twitter' :lol:

#1593 robefc

robefc

• 8,017 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:57

Have to say this is extremely idiotic from Lewis. I thought he was smarter than that to know. I love his tweets at times, especially how he shares most of the extreme and crazy stuff he does. But this is very childish. Jenson will be mad and he has the right. He may not be the better driver but he is a much smarter human being.

I think jenson might not give a sh1t.

Or it could be the last straw and we might get some insight into JB's true view of Lewis.

#1594 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:58

Wait a sec guys I think he was hacked. Lets wait and see.
Sorta strange for him to be tweeting about Jenson that time of day especially after a race weekend.

#1595 P123

P123

• 8,157 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:59

Completely...and not because he got it wrong but just because it's beyond playground patheticness.

Think I might skip the F1 press this week and the interviews on thursday.

It's a great example of how to have the high ground, and throw it away completely. There was a degree of pettiness in the fact that JB never followed him. Instead of letting that ride and being comfortable with it ( a great example of how he must needle JB) he's felt the need to spell it out to the world and stupidly make something of nothing, probably after reading the misinformation in the press. Now expect some backtracking and apologies. He doesn't know how to play the 'game'. But then again, he always has been astonishingly naive with his comments. He has a distinct lack of ability to perceive things from the perspective of others. He should have been revelling in the fact that JB never followed him (or unfollowed him if that is what he believed). :rolleyes:

#1596 Tauhid

Tauhid

• 229 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 23:03

I think jenson might not give a sh1t.

Or it could be the last straw and we might get some insight into JB's true view of Lewis.

I think Lewis is a difficult individual and not a likable character by some but again lovable by many. It will be fun to see these two clash right at the end of the season when both really need each other to beat Alonso/Vettel/Red Bull. Either way this can't be good for McLaren and their championship hopes. I see yet another 2nd place finish for them in the WCC. Vettel can easily beat Alonso for the title if he has this beast of a car. McLaren in my view can't really keep their drivers on the leash. Jenson might have a bad thing or two to say about Lewis but Lewis will have several more. I think the main reason Lewis is leaving McLaren is not because of the challenge at Merc but mainly because this isn't just his team anymore, if anything this team is now all JB's.

#1597 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,080 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 23:06

Maybe hacked twitter account, or maybe he's drunk :lol: #thetruthisoutthere

#1598 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,929 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 23:06

You guys are so gracious in victory. :rolleyes:

Edited by Boxerevo, 07 October 2012 - 23:07.

#1599 whitevisor

whitevisor

• 267 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 23:07

It's an interesting dynamic because so far only Jenson has put down critical comments on Lewis its only a matter of time for Lewis to let it out before he leaves. This is going to be good if indeed his Twitter wasn't hacked. Remember Lewis lost his phone a few weeks ago hacking is not out of the question!

Advertisement

#1600 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 4,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 23:09

Personally I think he's just having fun and it is bloody hilarious. The whole moan/whine aspect of it has been blown out of proportion already but never mind.