Photo

Longford; the 'Reims of the South Pacific'

• Please log in to reply
620 replies to this topic

#601 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:57

The tram was Launceston's No. 4 tram. There is a small piece on it (not of it) in Launceston's tram museum.
Also, I'm close to having a "final" version of the Longford sim track. So I've finally gotten around to timber-framing the first and second floors of the control tower, with cladding on the front. Also have updated the marshals.
Posted Image

Looking good woochoo....what's the next track you have in your sights? :love:

PS looks odd to see Herbie wearing #35 :)

Advertisement

#602 woochoo

woochoo

• 119 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:08

Looking good woochoo....what's the next track you have in your sights? :love:

I did make a start on Lobethal '37-'39 a few years ago. It's only... twice as long as Longford :rolleyes: . There is a chance I'll do a little more work on it and have it out for rF2 one day, but it's unlikely to get as much detail/accuracy as Longford. Probably a lot less.

#603 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 171 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:07

I did make a start on Lobethal '37-'39 a few years ago. It's only... twice as long as Longford :rolleyes: . There is a chance I'll do a little more work on it and have it out for rF2 one day, but it's unlikely to get as much detail/accuracy as Longford. Probably a lot less.

4400 hours work!

I love your dedication to this project, with that much input you could near on have replaced the bridges and reopened the track :lol:

If it hasn’t been said before thank you for the contribution to maintaining Australian Motor Racing Heritage using a 21st century technology.

Lobethal, that’s another paradigm!

Fantastic piece of bitumen to drive in anger, im still trying to remove the vinyl from the backside after experiencing it back in 2008. Love to see how you would handle the kink in the straight heading down Onkaparinga Valley Road!

#604 woochoo

woochoo

• 119 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:08

PS looks odd to see Herbie wearing #35 :)

For the sake of information, according to the '67 program, #35 was a Mike Keating. And thanks to Ellis for the scans of the program, going back a while now :)

If it hasn’t been said before thank you for the contribution to maintaining Australian Motor Racing Heritage using a 21st century technology.

It's pretty rewarding knowing it's not just a throw-away bit of entertainment. That's partly why I've spent so much time on it. The sim racing scene is becoming part-entertainment, part-sport, part-history lesson :)

#605 woochoo

woochoo

• 119 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 13:00

I've released version 1.0 of Longford. It should be the last version for rFactor1.
http://rfactorcentra...D=Longford 1967
I plan to have a version for rFactor2 ready in the next few months (it's already well progressed).

For the non-gamers here (and everywhere else), here is the accompanying release video and some screenshots.
Longford 1967 - v1.0 Video

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

As a former venue for the Australian GP, this has turned out to be a reasonably appropriate (yet coincidental) time to release it. Also, It's only a week or two later in the year than the original Longford weekends were run.

Thanks to Bernd, the topic starter here. While the GPL version didn't make it to the public, I'm pleased that some of Gustaf's models (thanks!) have carried on into the rFactor versions, right the way through and into version 1.0 (Including the mill at Longford Corner, a few of the houses, and the B&B next to the rail crossing). The participants in this thread have also been a really big help, and it has been great reading about all things Longford. Thanks to you all :wave:

#606 woochoo

woochoo

• 119 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 00:40

Hi,

In the last couple of months I've moved Longford over into rFactor2. At this stage it's still fairly similar to the rFactor1 version, but with a few updates here and there. So, just incase anyone was interested to see how it looks in the new version of the game:

A single lap which cuts between different weather/time of day, just to give a feel for the new lighting and weather systems in the game, and featuring the officially licensed '66 Brabham BT-20: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPlvNEhSn4s

Another guy on the internet has made his own video using Longford and semi-fictional cars (based on late '60s Lolas). He's done a pretty good job in making an 'epic blockbuster movie trailer' sytle vid, and it shows the new flags I've made which weren't in my first (older, above) video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5uzSoIkGfw

So, development continues. I'm working on a few things, including a new model of the Mill at pub corner, and soon I'll be making some proper 3D trees for the trees right beside the road (planes, pines, poplars, willows, wattles).

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Also, just as a side note, another Aussie has made a 1953 Gnoo Blas, used at the Gnoo Blas Classic Car Show, and now freely available for rFactor1: https://www.facebook...GnooBlasProject

And if you'll allow one more side note (a modern one), a guy in the UK has made up (and is about to release) a modern Symmons Plains for rFactor2. It looks pretty good: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNxx7kP2p-I

#607 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:25

Great stuff Woochoo, any plans for Baskerville? I can just see an onboard camera in a full Pre-EH field from '71 or '72! Quite liked the other guy's Longford video but would have been better to have a car which actually raced there - ie Amon in the P4 from '68 would be great.

#608 woochoo

woochoo

• 119 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:09

Hi ellrosso,

Assuming I had the time I wouldn't mind doing Baskerville, or Lobethal, but I don't think I can really afford to start another track unless it's financially supported somehow.

A P4 sure would be nice

#609 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 1,563 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 23:51

This footage from the '64 meeting looks pretty good, having glanced at the initial few minutes only.......

http://www.youtube.c...VwSpxE9qg#t=397

#610 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,834 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 00:53

This footage from the '64 meeting looks pretty good, having glanced at the initial few minutes only.......

http://www.youtube.c...VwSpxE9qg#t=397

Terrific! :up:

#611 cooper997

cooper997

• 769 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:23

It's probably only fair to share the 1964 Longford photos in this thread too. For future reference the start of this series of photos is here http://forums.autosp...to-70s/page-174 (near the bottom of the page).

1964_Longford_Hill_Brabham_tower_150.jpg
images hosting

Graham Hill's #1 Scuderia Veloce Repco-Brabham & Jack Brabham's #2 Ecurie Vitesse Repco-Brabham

1964_Longford_mclaren_tower_150.jpg
upload

A weekend of mixed emotions for Bruce... Bruce McLaren's #10 Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd's Cooper T70. He won the inaugural Tasman Cup on the Monday, but had lost his 26 year old team-mate, Timmy Mayer during the Friday practice accident.

1964_Longford_water_tower_150.jpg
print screen windows

Open wheelers head for the viaduct. The water tower (left of screen) and Longford township over the treelined river ahead.

1964_Longford_pits_150.jpg
how do i print screen

Who said politics and motor racing don't mix... The Country Party's 'FINNEY for BASS' sign (middle of screen)

Stephen

#612 woochoo

woochoo

• 119 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:54

Lobethal, that’s another paradigm!

Fantastic piece of bitumen to drive in anger, im still trying to remove the vinyl from the backside after experiencing it back in 2008. Love to see how you would handle the kink in the straight heading down Onkaparinga Valley Road!

Well... to continue that particular topic briefly, I've decided to open the Lobethal project up to other people since I'm unlikely to have enough time to finish it on my own (or even get back to it in any meaningful way).
So, if anyone was interested in keeping track of what may or may not happen with the simulator version of Lobethal, I've started a thread on the official forums of the platform it's intended for.
http://isiforums.net...4657#post294657
It includes a real-life video from a certain driver, some links to some of Ray's work, and a video of the "quick and dirty" sim version that I started years and years ago now.
We'll see if anyone is able to put some more effort behind the project or not.

Meanwhile, occasional work continues the Longford project. If anyone was interested in keeping a closer eye on it, the link to the same forum is:

http://isiforums.net...0-92-2013-11-22

#613 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 171 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 13:38

How opportune, only last week I and a group of enthusiasts were watching your rF1 version from the Brabham at Longford on the large screen at Curtin University Hive, was great on the big screen and was put up as an example of the type of technology available to recreate lost historical information. Much better than a photo album.

May I direct you to the  AMSHA thread in the historical research section of TNF to obtain contacts regarding the capture of this work.

A good place that could do with your assistance with capturing some of the information so it can be used in other projects. One in particular is the creation of a video production of Caversham, we have seen your compatriots work with the Brabham at Caversham which I'm sure you are aware of,

https://www.youtube....player_embedded

It could do with some brushing up but its all there. Some 360 video has been taken of the circuit and its amazing technology, ultimately its a production that will accurately portray the circuit in its hey day. Does this type of 360 degree Video have any conversion to rF2?

We would like to gain an understanding of the technology and possible uses.

#614 woochoo

woochoo

• 119 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:19

Thanks,

There is plenty of potential for using racing simulators as "high definition immersive interactive historical information disemination and interpretation instruments and exhibits"... or something like that :)

Years ago I attempted to start a loose collective of simulator track makers to work on that. Mainly for fun, but not without knowing it would be of some historic value.
http://www.racedepar...oup-oacg.12672/
I think the main outcome was a loose association of people working on their own pet projects, rather than as a group, but that's ok.

Having Caversham built up as 3d environment model and working in rFactor1 circuit is a fantastic starting point for use in any type of static (live or pre-recorded viewing) or interactive (live driving) feature. The same environment model is used for driving as it is for viewing from trackside cameras, so it's all-in-one, and can be done in parallel.

And the move from rF1 to rF2 is relatively simple (in a quick and dirty sense), but user expectations of quality have kicked up as time goes on.

That's exactly the process Longford has gone through (and I'm still working on upping the quality).

#615 cooper997

cooper997

• 769 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:53

The latest issue of Australian Muscle Car magazine (#75) has a piece on Longford, under their 'Sacred Sites' page. Four pages, which makes it a bit of a generalization of what Longford was about, with some period and more recent photos to illustrate this once great Australian circuit.

I'm slightly quizzical as to them quoting 4 deaths at the 1965 meeting. I'm aware of Rocky and Robin during the AGP, plus Norton rider, Dennis Wing near the Viaduct. So just a mistake or was there a fourth?

Stephen

#616 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:39

I always thought there were two motorcyclists...

But memory can be flawed. Did I, perhaps, write that in my Longford Closed Circuit story?

#617 cooper997

cooper997

• 769 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:02

The following is as published in your Motor Racing Australia #31 'Closed Circuit' feature.

"I had travelled to Longford with a friend and pitched a tent in the camping area adjacent to the King's Bridge. Early motorcycle practice had disturbed our sleep on Saturday morning, but we weren't aware that local ace Dennis Wing lay fatally injured off the track just a few hundred metres away. Yet another motorcyclist died, and then came the sudden inclusion of Tresize and photographer Robin D'Abrera in the grim reaper's tally- all of this just a week after Lex Davison's death at Sandown."

So I take it that "Yet another motorcyclist died" eludes to a fourth. But doesn't mention a second name.

Stephen

#618 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:43

Alludes to it all right...

However, I am now not so sure about this. Have you checked the newspaper reports of the meeting?

#619 cooper997

cooper997

• 769 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:59

I've never been much good at the internet newspaper thing, so no.

I can't see reference to another tragedy in the R & T Publishing's (Chevron) 50 race history of the AGP book. I think this was only published the once, but I noticed they headline the 1965 chapter with a date of February 20, 1965 for the event. When it was March 1. So I hope they've picked that up for the new AGP book they've been plugging in their magazines.

Stephen

Advertisement

#620 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,754 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:41

They would have...

I'd be hoping they picked up the error in Graham's assumptions about the grid at Leyburn.

#621 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 810 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:20

I've just checked the Tas Motorist race report of the meeting and while they have a full page tribute to Dennis Wing on page 31 there is no mention of a fourth fatality for the meeting. Barry Green also mentions only 3 in his book.