If Hamilton goes, who will replace him at McLaren? [split]

• Please log in to reply
437 replies to this topic

#1 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,064 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:11

So, who is available right now?

1. Schumacher - why not? He is in good form, it would be a good marketing move for both sides. At least he could be a temporary solution.
2. Perez - the most promising in this list. He would be a good choice, even great choice taking into account current circumstances.
3. Di Resta - nothing special, no charisma, only as temporary solution.
4. Hulkenberg - the same as Di Resta
5. Kovalainen - was declassed by Hamilton. It would be wrong to sign him as replacement for Hamilton.

But anyway, nobody of available drivers can replace Hamilton. Lewis is much better even when he is in bad conditions.

Advertisement

#2 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:12

Would love to see raikkonen back at mclaren :love:

#3 H0R

H0R

• 782 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:18

If he was available I'd go for Perez. Give him one season under the guidance of JB and the guy will turn out a very serious championship contender. But afaik he is a Ferrari man and therefore not available or would cost sh*tloads of money. Money I wouldn't like to see in Ferrari's war chest.

Edited by H0R, 11 September 2012 - 12:19.

#4 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:18

Topic split from the 'Hamilton agrees terms' thread as it's a very different discussion.

#5 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,064 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:22

Would love to see raikkonen back at mclaren :love:

So do I, but I don't think Kimi wants this. Moreover, he already has a contract for a next season and McLaren definitely has no money to pay compensation.

#6 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:23

As we know, a fast driver who crashes, can be taught to drive better. Whereas a slow, safe, driver finds it much harder to drive fast.

For that reason, I believe there is already a fast F1 driver that McLaren should sign up to replace Hamilton.
That man is Pastor Maldonado.

#7 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:26

Nobody can stand Ron.. Alonso, Hamilton and Raikkonen forced out

Edited by tarmac, 11 September 2012 - 12:26.

#8 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,386 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:28

I would like to see Schumacher. He has shown solid pace in the Mercedes this year. It would be nice to see him in a car capable of podiums every week and McLaren normally is. Not that i think it will happen, that is just my dream. If Hamilton really leaves, i can not see anyone else other than one of the Force India drivers taking his seat.

#9 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,372 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:28

I think di Resta is a likely candidate if the Mercedes deal falls through, and perhaps could be part of the Hamilton deal.

#10 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,031 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:29

Can't see why Di Resta would get the call, he has been pretty average this year.

#11 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,372 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:31

But with di Resta, it's not all about the results. He is a Mercedes young driver, and if Hamilton takes the seat he has been groomed for eight years, will Mercedes need to consider that in the Hamilton deal? I would also say he has not been as fast as Hulk this year, but not bad enough to be unceremoniously dropped having had so much invested in him.

Edited by Disgrace, 11 September 2012 - 12:32.

#12 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,206 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:32

I know Rosberg has a contract with Merc, but wouldn't a swap make sense? He seems pretty unhappy at Merc atm.

#13 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:37

Only Perez is worthy but then again why would Ferrari be stupid to let him go to McLaren more to the point why would be want to go? It is obvious Di Resta would be the choice. He would be a good number 2 and shares the same management as Button. I see a bleak and boring McLaren sadly.

#14 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:40

My take:

Rosberg goes to Ferrari
Lewis to Mercedes to partner Michael for another season
Hulkenberg or DiResta to Mclaren
Massa to Force India

#15 Cesc

Cesc

• 933 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:40

To be honest, it is a hard move for McLaren. There's nobody near the level of Hamilton available. I may consider Perez as a young driver, but with the serious doubts that he can really be WDC in the future.

For the short term I would go for Rosberg. It is a fine professional, considerable quick and he can deliver results, although I don't think he's a future WDC unless he has the best of all cars. Raikkonen may be, but I don't see it as a long term option.

#16 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 289 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:42

I know a lot of people are touting di Resta, however I’m not so sure.

If he’s under a long term agreement with Mercedes, would McLaren want to take him on, knowing that Mercedes have just poached Hamilton? It would mean that they might be having to look for another driver in a couple of years, and we all know ideally McLaren like continuity (Alonso and Montoya accepted).

I’d see them looking at fast drivers without contracts to other teams (which rules out Perez and Grosjean), so it’d be the likes of Hulkenberg (assuming he doesn’t now have Merc ties), Kovalainen (stranger things have happened…), Kobayashi (I’d say quite doubtful given recent form) Massa (again fairly doubtful given form, though might be worth a punt if Ferrari drop him. At least he’d be cheap, I guess), and Glock (solid if not spectacular).

It is actually a dilemma; lots of drivers, but no perfect fit.

#17 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:43

If Hamilton is off to Mercedes I'd try to take Rosberg from them..

Regardless who McLaren are looking to sign I'd definitely put Sutil in the simulator to see where he stacks.

#18 H0R

H0R

• 782 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:43

Just an idea: What about Alguersuari?

#19 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,031 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:47

But with di Resta, it's not all about the results. He is a Mercedes young driver, and if Hamilton takes the seat he has been groomed for eight years, will Mercedes need to consider that in the Hamilton deal? I would also say he has not been as fast as Hulk this year, but not bad enough to be unceremoniously dropped having had so much invested in him.

But does the Merc thing matter as much anymore with McLaren going into road cars more now?

Advertisement

#20 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:49

Di Resta now has Button's manager so I think it is pretty clear.

I'd go for Hulk though - just like the guy.

#21 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:50

I don't think Mercedes are that committed to Di Resta. AFAIK the arrangement was that whichever Mercedes driver won the 2010 DTM championship would get the FI seat with Mercedes backing. For a long time that looked like being Bruno Spengler. So it's not as if they have been grooming Di Resta in particular for F1. Also, if he hasn't been performing specially - and he hasn't - then why shouldn't they give up on him?

#22 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:50

Very very good point- Alguesari to Force India?

Edited by schumimercamg, 11 September 2012 - 12:51.

#23 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,043 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:51

Probably Kimi. Lotus is too light-weight to have a WDC on board...

Perez is a part of Santander's business strategy in Mexico -- I'll be shocked if he is not driving a Ferrari next year... in fact, Ferrari needs to get him on board, and announce it within a week or two.

#24 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:52

Di resta he does have potential, would be a big step but i think he has the mind set for it.

#25 Absulute

Absulute

• 881 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:53

I'd take him. And I think he'd appeal to McLaren too.

Not Schumacher please. For the love of god please.

#26 John Player

John Player

• 455 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:54

Didnt Alguersuari say that he has a drive for next year?

#27 discover23

discover23

• 4,361 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:55

Hulk was not faster than Rubens
Hulk is faster than DiResta.
I think Force India is another team that would have gotten some better results with top line drivers.

#28 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:58

di Resta for team Britain.

#29 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,065 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:59

Ok, I'd go insane - Rosberg.

Why not? I'm serious, both parties get what they want.

#30 Absulute

Absulute

• 881 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:59

di Resta for team Boring.

Good point.

#31 OSX

OSX

• 4,262 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:00

James Allen:

"Kimi Raikkonen is the only driver who could get close to Hamilton’s performance"

http://www.jamesalle...ve-to-mercedes/

#32 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,699 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:01

Schumacher in a McLaren would be very interesting indeed. In a strange way, that would work very well indeed. His old enemy as his final resting place.

#33 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:10

Hulk was not faster than Rubens
Hulk is faster than DiResta.
I think Force India is another team that would have gotten some better results with top line drivers.

:up: Both FI drivers are thoroughly average.

#34 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:11

James Allen:

"Kimi Raikkonen is the only driver who could get close to Hamilton’s performance"

http://www.jamesalle...ve-to-mercedes/

:rotfl: Yes that's why he's failed to win a race in what has often been the fastest car and has often been outqualified by his inexperienced teammate.

#35 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,863 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:30

Perez. Only driver worthy of stepping up.

Kimi - Did he leave on good terms, would he want back in? Lotus is "his team" now and, while there is sentimental value, McLaren may be different from 2003 to 2005.
Hulk and Di Resta - Neither have shined consistently.
Maldonado - Fast but will have a DNF rate worse than the McLaren engines in 2005.
Ricciardo and Vergne - Former is not ready, latter is not very good.
Rosberg - Schumacher is beating him, and Schumi is too old for a long term seat.
Kobayashi - Perez is beating him.
Jamie A. - Solid, but has never shown skill worthy of a top car.
Sutil - Deserving of a chance but a year out may hurt him. IMHO a swap of Sutil for Senna or Grosjean isn't bad.
Massa - Right.
Grosjean - About as likely as Lewis in 2011 to be involved in crashes, worth a shot? Perez is a better performer if you can get him.
Heikki - Only scored a win in a McLaren by virtue of a whole bunch of car failures, why go back? Is he better or just a "Fisichella" who can do well in poor cars but not be a champion.
Glock - Man was pretty fast and a bit ahead of Trulli, but would 3 years at the back ruin his morale?
Petrov - Equal with Heikki but never looked like one for a top team. Heidfeld matched him and Nick is gone.
Pic - Should run in a m/field car first.
Bottas - Rookie charm like Lewis?
Schumacher - Not many years left
Vettel - Comfortable at "his team" Red Bull.
Webber - See Schumacher
Turvey - Was he brought up in the McLaren daycare like Hamilton?
Montoya - Maybe running off to NASCAR for 7 years was too big an over-reaction for being the joke of the 2006 season? Kiss and make up?
Sato - One lap away from the Indy 500, bodes well?
Piquet Jnr. - What can you say, he's a team player.
R. Schumacher - Hey, he's younger than his brother.
Mansell - Not like this comeback could be any more embarrassing than his last one in a McLaren.
Sir S. Moss - Finally score that championship?
Rosset - Probably not otherwise engaged.

#36 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:33

As long as its not diResta ill support whoever comes.

#37 OSX

OSX

• 4,262 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:48

Q: Kimi, you and the team seem to hit it off. Will you carry on into 2013?

"I am happy this year here - and for next year let’s see. In Formula One you never know. Things can change overnight."

http://www.formula1....12/9/13774.html

#38 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:55

As long as its not diResta ill support whoever comes.

Please god, not Di Resta. The most boring, big talked, over-hyped driver on the entire grid. To make matters worse, he's not even as good as Button when Button first made his debut.

DiResta is a decent driver, just like Heidfeld & lower than Rubens. So far at least. Mclaren will slowly fade away if they buy into his hype, and might eventually head Toyota's way.

Edited by BackOnTop, 11 September 2012 - 13:58.

#39 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 13:59

Raikkonen, Alguersuari or Perez would be my choices.

Advertisement

#40 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,550 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:07

Kimi would be great but is unlikely to move and have to perform all those sponsor duties.

DiResta - just not there yet

Thing is a driver that has won and gone head to head with LH is Massa. True he is not himself, but maybe a top team bringing him in would boost his confidence again and he may prefer the environment. Hmmmm.

#41 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,699 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:08

Perez. Only driver worthy of stepping up.

Sir S. Moss - Finally score that championship?
Rosset - Probably not otherwise engaged.

Hey you !! Why no Jackie Stewart ? :rotfl:

#42 John Player

John Player

• 455 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:11

How about sign Massa for one year and then get Raikkonen for 2014

#43 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:16

i would consider Kimi to be very much in contention if Lewis leave....both his and Button's driving style overlaps in certain extent...that's the pro....
con is both of them are susceptible to be handling problem....

Perez-Button will be a fantastic line-up too....

otherwise Grosjean-Button....

#44 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:40

Posts deleted.

Making stuff up is trolling. If you have a source for information outline what it is or otherwise be clear that it is your opinion only.

#45 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:43

i would consider Kimi to be very much in contention if Lewis leave....both his and Button's driving style overlaps in certain extent...that's the pro....
con is both of them are susceptible to be handling problem....

Perez-Button will be a fantastic line-up too....

otherwise Grosjean-Button....

handling problem?? isnt that the problem faced by kimi now?? he said the lotus still didn't manage to get his steering sorted~~ but what did he achieved with a steering not to his liking?? well, im sure you can see for yourself LOL

#46 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 2,419 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:44

McLaren is already preparing another young yellow helmeted driver for the seat.

Posted Image

#47 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 14:47

handling problem?? isnt that the problem faced by kimi now?? he said the lotus still didn't manage to get his steering sorted~~ but what did he achieved with a steering not to his liking?? well, im sure you can see for yourself LOL

he clearly said that problem is mostly sorted and also said that perfect steering won't increase speed dramatically.....
or you just don't read what he says...? :rolleyes:

#48 schubacca

schubacca

• 799 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:20

I want Schumacher in the Macca.

MS's trophy case is about half the size as the entire Mclaren outfit so I think something could be worked out regarding the silverware ;)

#49 doombug11

doombug11

• 40 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:22

I would also have to say Perez, the kids got serious potential and huge marketing opportunities to boot. Di Resta's good but you get the feeling Perez is a future world champ, if Mclaren genuinely have lost Lewis, they should snap him up from under Ferrari's noses whilst they have the chance!

#50 condor

condor

• 11,296 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 15:27

I expect Hamilton will stay at McLaren.

However, as an alternative choice - what about Sam Bird?