Photo
* * - - - 9 votes

Vettel off to Ferrari in 2014?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1198 replies to this topic

Poll: Vettel off to Ferrari in 2014? (518 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Vettel is heading to Ferrari in 2014?

1. Yes, he's going (162 votes [31.33%])

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

2. No, he's staying (196 votes [37.91%])

Percentage of vote: 37.91%

3. Not enough information to form an opinion either way (159 votes [30.75%])

Percentage of vote: 30.75%

If he did move to Ferrar would it be the right choice?

1. Yes (175 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

2. No (259 votes [50.10%])

Percentage of vote: 50.10%

3. I don't have enough information to form an opinion either way (83 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

Vote

#801 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:55

Marko's comment means nothing because back in May he told German/Austrian media it DID exist (the clause). Some money could change hands too if Ferrari wanted it to happen.

Advertisement

#802 Zava

Zava

• 4,742 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:17

Marko's comment means nothing because back in May he told German/Austrian media it DID exist (the clause). Some money could change hands too if Ferrari wanted it to happen.

could be that 2014 was just an option, which automatically clicked now with its terms coming true, for example entering the last races of 2012 being in the WDC lead?

#803 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:24

could be that 2014 was just an option, which automatically clicked now with its terms coming true, for example entering the last races of 2012 being in the WDC lead?

It was reported it had something to do with WDC standings after Monaco 2013 something like if he was outside top three after that race he was free to go? Anyway, given that Ferrari paid Räikkönen $20 million NOT to drive for them... why wouldn't they pay a transfer fee for someone like Vettel if they have an agreed contract? He'll probably just defer the move to 2015 if not. If he wins a few more titles up until then Ferrari wouldn't listen to Alonso's opinion at all by then... I already sense Alonso is losing power within the Ferrari camp.

#804 Snic

Snic

• 554 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:29

Vettel won't even consider a move until Newey leaves Red Bull. He could do to Schumacher what Federer did to Sampras and and completely outshine one of the greatest of all time. if Newey designs another rocketship in 2014 he could potentially be eyeing up a 5th world title in 2014.... scary thought :/

#805 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:36

Vettel won't even consider a move until Newey leaves Red Bull. He could do to Schumacher what Federer did to Sampras and and completely outshine one of the greatest of all time. if Newey designs another rocketship in 2014 he could potentially be eyeing up a 5th world title in 2014.... scary thought :/

Michael Schumacher, Pino Allievi and Will Buxton seem to think otherwise. One lives on the hope. If you take Vettel out it'll take quite a lot for them to find an equal driver there - especially since Alonso is not available and Hamilton loves his money (for now).

#806 slmk

slmk

• 3,921 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:56

Michael Schumacher, Pino Allievi and Will Buxton seem to think otherwise. One lives on the hope. If you take Vettel out it'll take quite a lot for them to find an equal driver there - especially since Alonso is not available and Hamilton loves his money (for now).

What? Lewis signed for less money at Mercedes that he could have gotten from McLaren.

Also, his management talked to RBR but they were not interested. If Vettel indeed bolts, that decision by RBR to not entertain talks with LH will hurt.

#807 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,676 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:57

Has Vettel replied to this topic?

A clear 'No I'll stay at RB?' or a 'Perhaps?'

#808 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,180 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 17:27

Not really, not him directly, but I think Dr. Marko has on his behalf very recently (when he claimed they have lock on 2014 contract with him).

I guess that subject might have come up in the form of internal consultation how to handle this issue from PR point of view, since silence fuelled rumours even more, and Marko simply said - don't worry, I take care of it. Unfortunately in the process he might have contradicted his previous (and old) statements to the media regarding performance clause.

#809 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 2,878 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 23:32

He's got an account on here? :p

#810 plumtree

plumtree

• 711 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 16:48

Neither of them. :-p Apparently he took it as sort of mind games to shake up the team's morale.

From today's post-race press conference

Q: (Dan Knutson - Honorary) Seb, there's been all the stories on the internet about you and Ferrari. Could you set the record straight please: is there any arrangement, agreement, talk between you and your people and Ferrari?
SV
: This could be quite funny now, what I say... No, there's nothing, nothing to tell you, nothing I've signed. Nothing has changed. It's quite amusing. I don't know where it came from but... I don't read much, so it's quite a surprise when you get to the circuit and get all these questions. Nothing to report. As I said, I can't be happier at the moment, I'm very happy with... Actually, there's one thing I would like to say about this. As I said, there's no reason to write anything or report anything but obviously, as I said earlier, you don't know every single one in the team, and it's hard to speak to every single one, so if there's - sorry to say - some bullshit in the press, obviously there might be some concerns back in the factory, but I'm 100 percent behind them as I feel they're 100 percent behind me and therefore I want to get this straight: there's nothing to report and I'm very happy at Red Bull Racing.

#811 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 17:04

No driver is ever going to answer such a question with "yes". I think at the very latest he'll move in 2015. I'm not so sure about 2014 at the moment.

#812 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,180 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 19:55

Neither of them. :-p Apparently he took it as sort of mind games to shake up the team's morale.

From today's post-race press conference

Q: (Dan Knutson - Honorary) Seb, there's been all the stories on the internet about you and Ferrari. Could you set the record straight please: is there any arrangement, agreement, talk between you and your people and Ferrari?
SV
: This could be quite funny now, what I say... No, there's nothing, nothing to tell you, nothing I've signed. Nothing has changed. It's quite amusing. I don't know where it came from but... I don't read much, so it's quite a surprise when you get to the circuit and get all these questions. Nothing to report. As I said, I can't be happier at the moment, I'm very happy with... Actually, there's one thing I would like to say about this. As I said, there's no reason to write anything or report anything but obviously, as I said earlier, you don't know every single one in the team, and it's hard to speak to every single one, so if there's - sorry to say - some bullshit in the press, obviously there might be some concerns back in the factory, but I'm 100 percent behind them as I feel they're 100 percent behind me and therefore I want to get this straight: there's nothing to report and I'm very happy at Red Bull Racing.

I love Seb, I am rooting for him, I will move with him wherever he transfers and that includes HRT, but here he is killing me with his long answers, because half of the world now believes he has tried to cover up. Why he couldn't say simply no, I am not interested? He has messed up the whole thing, whatever the truth is.

#813 Zava

Zava

• 4,742 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:14

I think this might be relevant:

FA @ joseluisf1
Sergio Perez: "I had a meeting with Domenicali [Monza] and told me they wanted me to 2014. They were really interested in me "

#814 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:21

FA @ joseluisf1
Sergio Perez: "I had a meeting with Domenicali [Monza] and told me they wanted me to 2014. They were really interested in me "

You could read it in a different way, meaning Perez is a perfect no. 2 for Vettel.

#815 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:25

You could read it in a different way, meaning Perez is a perfect no. 2 for Vettel.

What about Alonso staying until 2016?

Good boy.

#816 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:32

FA @ joseluisf1

Source: Some Spanish guy on Twitter.

Conclusion: All teams have fallback options, Ferrari were probably just trying to keep him at Sauber for a year. If not, why didn't Domenicali just sign him up?

P.S. We need Vettel.

#817 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,791 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:33

What about Alonso staying until 2016?

Possible but quite unlikely. Alonso needs to start winning WDCs and/or WCCs soon or else Montezemolo might have to look for a different driver to win those championships at Ferrari.

#818 Zava

Zava

• 4,742 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:36

Source: Some Spanish guy on Twitter.

Conclusion: All teams have fallback options, Ferrari were probably just trying to keep him at Sauber for a year. If not, why didn't Domenicali just sign him up?

P.S. We need Vettel.

source: some spanish guy posting the headline of an article with a Perez interview:
Posted Image

my point is, if Vettel's arrival is set in stone, they wouldn't be interested in Perez, as I don't think they will send Alonso home before his contract ends.

#819 Sapphiresteel

Sapphiresteel

• 58 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:36

Alonso/Santander will never allow Vettel to join Ferrari for 2014. Massa will continue regardless what he will do on the track.

Advertisement

#820 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:01

I hope Seb "changes his mind" and choose McLaren joining Perez (or even Button) for 2014 because I prefer to see him at McLaren than a team as Ferrari.

#821 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 13:24

I hope Seb "changes his mind" and choose McLaren joining Perez (or even Button) for 2014 because I prefer to see him at McLaren than a team as Ferrari.

Posted Image

#822 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 13:28

Vettel and Perez in McLaren? Not bad at all.

#823 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 259 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 13:32

Possible but quite unlikely. Alonso needs to start winning WDCs and/or WCCs soon or else Montezemolo might have to look for a different driver to win those championships at Ferrari.

Im 100% sure he should start with Massa, not Alonso, if he ever wonders where those WDC and WCC's have gone

#824 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 14:06

I think Vettel will stay at RBR until Newey is there. What he will do at Ferrari?

#825 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,385 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 13:47

Ferrari rules out Alonso/Vettel line-up in the future

Ferrari has ruled out the prospect of a 'dream team' line-up of Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel.

The Italian outfit has made no secret of the fact that Vettel is a driver that it is interested in for the future when Alonso retires, but there has been speculation that the Formula 1 world champion could do a deal even sooner and race alongside the Spaniard.

Speaking at Ferrari's Wrooom media event at Madonna di Campiglio in Italy on Wednesday, team principal Stefano Domenicali reckoned having two top talents like Alonso and Vettel would not necessarily be a good thing.

"We have always said, and I think that the president [Luca di Montezemolo] also declared, that a dream team is something extraordinary if it is well managed and if things work well," he said about the prospects of Vettel being signed as a future team-mate of Alonso.

"For now, I think that this is not our goal. We have to maximise the balance of our performance of the team. We must be very careful.

"It is not just in F1 because it is true also in the world of sport. If you put all the number ones together around the table it can be more damaging than positive. So for the time being, this is not our goal."

Unfortunately there are several similar Vettel/Ferrari threads, I picked this one at random.

#826 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:31

Alonso/Santander will never allow Vettel to join Ferrari for 2014. Massa will continue regardless what he will do on the track.

Alonso/Santander is apparently now one single magical entity :lol:

#827 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:36

Unfortunately there are several similar Vettel/Ferrari threads, I picked this one at random.

The old story about the roosters... and the hen.

Edited by H2H, 16 January 2013 - 14:37.

#828 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:40

The old story about the roosters... and the hen.

Enter "Vettel will never earn my respect if he doesn't team up with Alonso."

#829 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,451 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 14:43

Playing the victim card before anything is even said? Geez.

#830 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 3,895 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 15:16

It in the end it doesn´t happen, it´ll be a shame. I don´t lose the hope still, Alonso is still on for some more seasons and Massa might start sucking again, who knows.

#831 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,180 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 15:30

Enter "Vettel will never earn my respect if he doesn't team up with Alonso."

Vettel cannot do it alone, but if Alonso would find in himself inner strenght, he could talk to LdM, agreeing to take Vettel on on equal footing. Sebastian would be initially in disadvantage because Ferrari is notoriously a stubborn horse to drive in certain times (as we heard when Michael was there), moreover, it was also designed around Alonso's style (so I presume).

#832 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 16:09

Vettel cannot do it alone, but if Alonso would find in himself inner strenght, he could talk to LdM, agreeing to take Vettel on on equal footing. Sebastian would be initially in disadvantage because Ferrari is notoriously a stubborn horse to drive in certain times (as we heard when Michael was there), moreover, it was also designed around Alonso's style (so I presume).

Actually, that is my hope if Vettel wins the 2013WDC: that Alonso, utterly pissed off and humiliated by Vettel's WDCs, will talk LdM into signing Vettel - to show everyone that he's supposedly better than the 4xWDC, that he's "the man."

Alonso-Vettel in Ferrari is my dream team, but not because they're my favorite drivers. :lol: I would so enjoy the drama that would follow.

Edited by rasul, 16 January 2013 - 16:10.

#833 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 16:23

Honestly, Vettel joining Ferrari is not a question of what Alonso, Santander or Ferrari want but rather of what Vettel wants. Leaving Red Bull at its current form to join Alonso in Ferrari at their current form is a very unlikely decision for Vettel to make. I think he will rather stay at Red Bull with his Newey car and Webber as his no. 2

#834 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,299 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 17:38

This isn't even in Ferrari's hands. In their continued arrogant fashion, they respond as if it is.

No Vettel in 2014 foremost because Vettel already said no - and that he is planning to finish his contract in 2014 at RBR.

Edited by bourbon, 16 January 2013 - 17:40.

#835 rasul

rasul

• 955 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 17:47

This isn't even in Ferrari's hands. In their continued arrogant fashion, they respond as if it is.

Um, what are they supposed to say when they're asked about Vettel? "We aren't good enough for Vettel?" "It all depends on Vettel?" Never. Ferrari would never say anything like that. Arrogant? Maybe. But come on, it's Ferrari. Red car and all. :p

#836 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 17:52

Um, what are they supposed to say when they're asked about Vettel? "We aren't good enough for Vettel?" "It all depends on Vettel?" Never. Ferrari would never say anything like that. Arrogant? Maybe. But come on, it's Ferrari. Red car and all. :p

I fully agree. They are Ferrari. Also they have already a strong cock there and are arguably right that they don't need another rooster. They first concern will be rightly to put better cars in the hand of their current drivers.

#837 Lone

Lone

• 474 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 17:53

"We have always said, and I think that the president [Luca di Montezemolo] also declared, that a dream team is something extraordinary if it is well managed and if things work well," he said about the prospects of Vettel being signed as a future team-mate of Alonso.

"For now, I think that this is not our goal. We have to maximise the balance of our performance of the team. We must be very careful"

So Ferrari is saying that they actually want a dream team but not now. But when? Not in 2013, that we know but what about 2014 or beyond?

Anyway, what could they say? That they want Vettel to team up with Alonso as soon as possible? I don't think so!

Edited by Lone, 16 January 2013 - 17:54.

#838 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,299 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 20:39

Um, what are they supposed to say when they're asked about Vettel?

They were asked if Vettel would be coming in 2014. The appropriate answer is: "No."

"We aren't good enough for Vettel?" "It all depends on Vettel?" Never. Ferrari would never say anything like that. Arrogant? Maybe. But come on, it's Ferrari. Red car and all. :p

They don't have to say anything at all except "No."

You don't need to be a pragmatist or cynic to believe that Ferrari aided and abetted Massa's subjugation and largely lackluster performance from Germany 2010 to just before the end of the 2012 season. And if you so believe, it is not only arrogant for Ferrari to insinuate that it holds all the cards regarding Vettel, but shamefully disingenuous to do so using Massa's supposed resurgence as the purported reason.

It is no big deal, just a "I see what you did there, Ferrari" moment.

Edited by bourbon, 16 January 2013 - 20:48.

#839 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,113 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 20:54

Ferrari do not have two very strong driver policy. Moreover, Alonso would not want Vettel as a teammate. He is happy now as everyone is working for his success in the team. However, we may well see Lewis and Vettel together as teammates in Red Bull or McLaren.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 16 January 2013 - 20:58.

Advertisement

#840 redbarron

redbarron

• 294 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:26

Although I would like to see Vettel and Alonso paired at Ferrari, I can't see Vettel moving to Ferrari without Newey. I can't blame him for that. Personally I think Hulkenburg should be Alonso's team mate at Ferrari in 2014, so they can prime him up for when Alonso retires.

#841 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 747 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 21:57

So Ferrari is saying that they actually want a dream team but not now. But when? Not in 2013, that we know but what about 2014 or beyond?

Anyway, what could they say? That they want Vettel to team up with Alonso as soon as possible? I don't think so!

I think you're spot on. Benson and Legard seem to agree with you.

Ferrari won’t rule out Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso

Ferrari have refused to rule out the prospect of world champion Sebastian Vettel joining them as Fernando Alonso's team-mate in the future.

Vettel will not leave Red Bull before his contract ends in 2014 but is believed to have talked to Ferrari about joining them in the future.

Asked about the two being team-mates Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali told BBC Sport: "Never say never."

He said it was "a dream team", but added: "For now, this is not our goal."

Speaking exclusively to BBC Sport at Ferrari's annual pre-season media event in Madonna di Campigilio, Domenicali said: "It is not an urgent problem or issue to address.

"It is something that we look ahead to because we have a lot of respect for Sebastian but it is not something we have to discuss urgently internally at the moment."

Ferrari sources first said last summer that Vettel had talked with the Italian team about joining them in the future and come to some form of agreement.

The initial plan was said to be for him to join in 2014 but that prospect has now vanished.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner told BBC Sport in October: "Vettel, without a shadow of doubt, will be part of the Red Bull Racing team in 2014."

And after winning the title last November, Vettel also said: "I have a contract until - I think you know better than me at this stage - until the end of '14."

Ferrari insiders now say Vettel, who narrowly beat Alonso to the F1 title in 2010 and 2012, will definitely not join the Italian team in 2014, but would not rule out him moving there for 2015.

Domenicali picked his words carefully when asked about the subject in a news conference at Madonna di Campiglio on Wednesday before his BBC Sport interview.
. . .

#842 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 23:21

I think you're spot on. Benson and Legard seem to agree with you:
Ferrari insiders now say Vettel, who narrowly beat Alonso to the F1 title in 2010 and 2012, will definitely not join the Italian team in 2014, but would not rule out him moving there for 2015.

If Vettel and RBR are still winning I would be very surprised to see Vettel move. And as RBR looks to be the best run team in F1 at the moment, I expect to see them keep on winning. So I would be very surprised to see Vettel move to Ferrari.

#843 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,299 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:25

Dom Speaks on BBC video re: Seb and other stuff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/21042712

#844 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:48

Champions, they may mature. In terms of approach, in terms of relationship with the other, with the great champions.

Ouch.

#845 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,451 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 15:05

Vettel's the one who said he'd like to drive for Ferrari one day. With all the rumors and comments by Ferrari, its hard to think there weren't some sort of discussions that went on. Only the two parties will know the details. We can speculate, but to presume you know what the deal is is arrogant.

#846 encircled

encircled

• 772 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 16:31

Ferrari rule out future Sebastian Vettel-Fernando Alonso pairing

Ferrari's plan was said to have been for Vettel to join in 2014 - even though the German's Red Bull contract ran until the end of that season.

But sources close to Ferrari now say the Spaniard and the team renegotiated their agreement towards the end of last season and that one of Alonso's demands was that they not sign Vettel alongside him.

#847 bourbon

bourbon

• 5,299 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:02

I'm not surprised. I have never believed that Alonso would be agreeable to having another #1 driver with him at Ferrari. Hamilton, Seb, Kimi, even Button - not going to happen. But the floating idea that Ferrari would be willing to try it - and that it is only Alonso stopping them - is equally far fetched to me. It isn't Alonso's way, but it also isn't the Ferrari way, so let's be real; this is a pipedream from every angle. Vettel going there while Alonso was there was never a possibility - that whole 2014 thing was nothing more than a failed distraction tatic by Ferrari, imo.

#848 Winter98

Winter98

• 638 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:12

"But sources close to Ferrari now say the Spaniard and the team renegotiated their agreement towards the end of last season and that one of Alonso's demands was that they not sign Vettel alongside him."

No surprise here.

The last thing Alonso wants is Vettel in the same car. It would take away his main excuse, and make it even more ludicrous when he describes himself as a Samurai warrior.

Edited by Winter98, 02 February 2013 - 18:13.

#849 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,180 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:17

What is Alonso worrying about?

#850 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 13,451 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 18:19

that whole 2014 thing was nothing more than a failed distraction tatic by Ferrari, imo.

Distraction? From what? :well: