Photo
* * - - - 9 votes

Vettel off to Ferrari in 2014?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1198 replies to this topic

Poll: Vettel off to Ferrari in 2014? (518 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Vettel is heading to Ferrari in 2014?

1. Yes, he's going (162 votes [31.33%])

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

2. No, he's staying (196 votes [37.91%])

Percentage of vote: 37.91%

3. Not enough information to form an opinion either way (159 votes [30.75%])

Percentage of vote: 30.75%

If he did move to Ferrar would it be the right choice?

1. Yes (175 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

2. No (259 votes [50.10%])

Percentage of vote: 50.10%

3. I don't have enough information to form an opinion either way (83 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

Vote

#1001 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:54

Complete non-issue. Ferrari would never order their top driver to finish second in the second race of the season. They have a clear 1st driver, 2nd driver policy, not the equal policy like RBR or McL where it is in the realm of possibility of asking someone like Vettel to finish behind other driver.

In fact, drivers like Vettel are the type that thrive the most in Ferrari style system.

How do you know?

Why did Red Bull issue the team order?

I have no doubt that Ferrari would also hold Alonso behind Massa on the last few laps of a race given both drivers are still fighting for the WDC. We saw that in 2010 (when Massa had the points) and we saw it in Australia where arguably Alonso lost the race win by being stuck behind Massa.

Some Vettel fans think he will go to Ferrari to be team boss. They are in for a rude awakening. The Ferrari car does not have the same downforce as the Red Bull, Alonso is not Webber and LDM is definitely not Horner.

Advertisement

#1002 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 854 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:57

Seeing Alonso's latest comment on Seb i think they would make a great team at Ferrari. Alonso would be a perfect number 2. Fast and obedient. They could win many wcc's together.

#1003 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:01

Seeing Alonso's latest comment on Seb i think they would make a great team at Ferrari. Alonso would be a perfect number 2. Fast and obedient. They could win many wcc's together.

Absolutely. I will love to see Vettel hitting the chicanes the first time with half the downforce he has now.

#1004 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:17

There was no pre-race agreement:

If this is true and it was an ad-hoc decision after the last pitstop to impose the team-order, then Horner really made a very big mistake.

#1005 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:18

How do you know?

Why did Red Bull issue the team order?

I have no doubt that Ferrari would also hold Alonso behind Massa on the last few laps of a race given both drivers are still fighting for the WDC. We saw that in 2010 (when Massa had the points) and we saw it in Australia where arguably Alonso lost the race win by being stuck behind Massa.

Some Vettel fans think he will go to Ferrari to be team boss. They are in for a rude awakening. The Ferrari car does not have the same downforce as the Red Bull, Alonso is not Webber and LDM is definitely not Horner.

If Ferrari were to issue team orders, it would have been for Webber to let Vettel past, not the other way around. They have stated explicitly on numerous occasions that they believe in a 1st driver, 2nd driver policy.

#1006 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 13:25

Only a fool would completely rule out a switch of Vettel to Ferrari. Domenicali certainly isn't. Ferrari needs the best and while Alonso is a great driver but he is not the youngest guy anymore and will leave the sport very likely a lot earlier then Vettel.

Edited by H2H, 11 April 2013 - 13:25.

#1007 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:18

Only a fool would completely rule out a switch of Vettel to Ferrari. Domenicali certainly isn't. Ferrari needs the best and while Alonso is a great driver but he is not the youngest guy anymore and will leave the sport very likely a lot earlier then Vettel.

I would love to see Vettel at Ferrari in 2015.

#1008 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,574 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:28

I would love to see Vettel at Ferrari in 2015.

This, especially if Alonso was still in the team.

#1009 Lulabaloo

Lulabaloo

• 138 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:36

This, especially if Alonso was still in the team.

Do you really think Alonso would accept this challenge ? He would be out of there long before the ink is dry in Vettel's contract. In fact I think Ferrari would use the hiring of Vettel to boot Alonso out.

#1010 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:45

At this rate Vettel would join Ferrari in 2014 . Unless Vettel is a banker too, Alonso will be his teammate.

I cannot wait.

#1011 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,771 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:52

In fairness Fernando is Ferrari's best chance for success at this moment, but there will be a time where he has to step aside.

True enough, I was just commenting on "any ego centred individual will NOT be welcomed into the Ferrari fold." There´s an ego centered individual at Ferrari RIGHT NOW. If FA would be given TOs to favor FM you'd see how all hell breaks loose.

#1012 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 14:54

One wonders how will Ferrari manage 2013 and beyond with emerging Massa. I read today (cannot comment on credibility of the author), that Alonso, on intervention from his sponsor, has contractually P1 guarantee at Ferrari. (That would be different from what JT told us about Schumacher's contract). Under those conditions, if valid, I can't see Alonso and Vettel side by side driving for SF. Alonso is supposedly on record he wants to retire where he is, and he is not retiring in 2014 as far as we know. I think Seb will stay put at RB for a while yet.

Edited by Sakae, 11 April 2013 - 14:55.

#1013 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:00

One wonders how will Ferrari manage 2013 and beyond with emerging Massa. I read today (cannot comment on credibility of the author), that Alonso, on intervention from his sponsor, has contractually P1 guarantee at Ferrari. (That would be different from what JT told us about Schumacher's contract). Under those conditions, if valid, I can't see Alonso and Vettel side by side driving for SF. Alonso is supposedly on record he wants to retire where he is, and he is not retiring in 2014 as far as we know. I think Seb will stay put at RB for a while yet.

I doubt it

Vettel has pretty much thrown the whole team under the bus with his latest comments. This is setting the tone for a 2007-Mclaren like season.

Maybe Vettel will return to his old team for two seasons before joining Ferrari

BMW --> Sauber (Ferrari) :lol:

#1014 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,574 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:25

Do you really think Alonso would accept this challenge ? He would be out of there long before the ink is dry in Vettel's contract. In fact I think Ferrari would use the hiring of Vettel to boot Alonso out.

Well, if he is truly the best then I don't see why he shouldn't. Hamilton is 100% ready to be in the same team as Vettel, which I really respect. I hope Alonso would feel the same eventually.

#1015 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:29

Maybe in due time, but at this moment? If I was Vettel I wouldnt want to leave the team with the best car. Ferrari better first fix their windtunnel. They been busy with that since 2009.

#1016 bub

bub

• 2,480 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:36

Alonso would probably be looking for Vettels vacant Redbull seat if this happened. That would be almost as interesting as if they were teammates. :)

#1017 jstrains

jstrains

• 1,514 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:42

I think if Ferrari would bring in Vettel, Red Bull would take Alonso so that he can win his 3rd WDC finally :wave:

#1018 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 1,574 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 15:43

RBR would take Raikkonen before they take Alonso imo.

#1019 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:29

2016. http://www.bbc.co.uk...rmula1/13452839

Might be an option in it though. Probably he can look elsewhere if certain clauses haven't been met.

Advertisement

#1020 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 16:34

There are lots of strange permeations in the future. If Ferrari don't deliver a good car to Alonso and then they make noises to sign Vettel, then he isn't going to be happy at all, because he'll feel Ferrari owe him and have not given him a good car and then sign his replacement. He could go to RB with Kimi. Hamilton meanwhile will race with anyone, so he'll either stay at Mercedes or make noises to face Vettel at Ferrari (if Ferrari can afford the both of them).

#1021 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:01

Purely for entertainment purposes, I would like to see Alonso and Vettel switch seats, and then Vettel give Ferrari their first WDC since '07 :lol:
This forum would implode.

#1022 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:06

At this rate Vettel would join Ferrari in 2014 . Unless Vettel is a banker too, Alonso will be his teammate.

I cannot wait.

Finally the truth is accepted!

#1023 sprice

sprice

• 50 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:06

Purely for entertainment purposes, I would like to see Alonso and Vettel switch seats, and then Vettel give Ferrari their first WDC since '07 :lol:

LOL me too. Obviously it would all be about the car though; Ferrari would have made an amazing step up and Newey had a bad year. :drunk:

I certainly believe Vettel would do a better job of putting that Ferrari on pole, and with its fantastic start system and the whole team including his team mate behind him who knows what he could achieve. :)

#1024 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:15

I doubt it

Vettel has pretty much thrown the whole team under the bus with his latest comments. This is setting the tone for a 2007-Mclaren like season.

Maybe Vettel will return to his old team for two seasons before joining Ferrari

BMW --> Sauber (Ferrari) :lol:

This just reveals the intense desperation. Vettel hasn't done anything like that. If the team owner is believed to be part of the team, he is rather on board with Vettel, saying that he does not want team orders. This is not exactly being under the bus, is it? :stoned:

#1025 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:23

This just reveals the intense desperation. Vettel hasn't done anything like that. If the team owner is believed to be part of the team, he is rather on board with Vettel, saying that he does not want team orders. This is not exactly being under the bus, is it? :stoned:

Indeed, how much have hurt those 3 WDCs, 38 poles and 27 wins. Much pain is still to come for some haters.

Nobody knows if Vettel will once drive in the red team but if you look at the cold facts it is not unlikely. He is without any shade of doubt a top driver, the most successful one in the last years and still very young. Plus he speaks some Italian (with a thick German accent), knows the Italian mentality and was very well like by the Toro Rosso staff.

Edited by H2H, 11 April 2013 - 17:26.

#1026 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:27

If Vettel geta crushed by Massa the implosion would be even higher.

#1027 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:34

But Raikkonen is more happy with Lotus than Alonso is with Ferrari. For all we know, Raikkonen might not be interested.

#1028 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 17:52

But Raikkonen is more happy with Lotus than Alonso is with Ferrari. For all we know, Raikkonen might not be interested.

Kimi doesn't strikes me as a sharing type about his thoughts, thus I doubt that anyone but his close inner circles would know how he likes it at Lotus, if at all. I would rather bet that if his beautiful wife will tell him - no more racing darling, and we are going sailing instead, that that's what will happen. :p

#1029 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:01

Red Bull started out as this free, adrenaline-junkie team.

Now it's probably the most political team in the paddock, both internally through its structure as well as a figure in the sport. Ferrari is all politics with the outside parties but internally there's a very clear hierarchy. Inside Red Bull it's very political, Horner with the title of team principle but Marko with the actual power. Then there's Mateschitz who leaves everybody to get on with it until occasionally when he puts his foot down, a sort of part-time leader (or mediator more like).

Kimi will hate that if he means it when he says he hates politics. But perhaps the lure of a Newey car is too great, for top drivers like Kimi, Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, being in a good Newey car is a guaranteed championship. They'll run away with it.

#1030 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:02

Kimi doesn't strikes me as a sharing type about his thoughts, thus I doubt that anyone but his close inner circles would know how he likes it at Lotus, if at all. I would rather bet that if his beautiful wife will tell him - no more racing darling, and we are going sailing instead, that that's what will happen. :p

he divorced his wife earlier this year...

rumours are that she had an affair with her horse-riding instructor.

#1031 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:14

Red Bull started out as this free, adrenaline-junkie team.

Now it's probably the most political team in the paddock, both internally through its structure as well as a figure in the sport. Ferrari is all politics with the outside parties but internally there's a very clear hierarchy. I

That means there is no politics internally? Saying that politics is not there in internal Ferrari is like saying the Pope does not live in Vatican.

he divorced his wife earlier this year...

rumours are that she had an affair with her horse-riding instructor.

The first statement could be made conclusively. But the second? Can you ever know what makes two people spit? Anything you post as suggestion is merely speculation, personal, and better not said. There could be a number of reasons. They might have separated already two years back for all you know.

#1032 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:17

Can Kimi's marital status stay out of this thread?

#1033 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 395 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:59

It’s hard to believe that some people think Seb will go to Ferrari while Alonso is still there, they don’t need him and they don’t need the issues he brings to the table, no doubt it won’t happen while FA is still there and as for Domencalli, if they don’t win this year there’s a better chance he’s gone than there is that Seb’s on the way..

Anyone who thinks that because Seb has 3 WDC’s on the trot he’s one of the very best and Ferrari actually need him, would do well thinking about why the majority don’t think that way... same car and a very dominant one at that, two of the titles won by the grace of god... no, until he does it in more than one car he’ll never have that recognition.

#1034 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,527 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:02

But Raikkonen is more happy with Lotus than Alonso is with Ferrari.

:stoned:

#1035 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:20

That means there is no politics internally? Saying that politics is not there in internal Ferrari is like saying the Pope does not live in Vatican.

I didn't say there aren't any internal politics at Ferrari, you just jumped to that all on your own.

I said there appears to be a clear hierarchy and suggested there's less of it than there is at Red Bull.

But please don't talk about the internal politics at Ferrari with such certainty, talking as if you actually know :rolleyes: It's pure speculation with what we see from the outside.

Very original with the Pope line too, never heard that before :up:

#1036 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:25

Finally the truth is accepted!

What truth?

That in order for Vettel to go to Ferrari next year without Alonso as a teammate, someone would have to buy 2 years of Alonso salary?

Edited by fabr68, 11 April 2013 - 19:26.

#1037 turssi

turssi

• 1,355 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:26

Why? Ferrari didn't. Fernando brings more money and as a hispanic person has a bigger potential fan base.

Kimi might be cooler and has also all the introverts as his fan base, but why would this make RBR choose him?

#1038 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,344 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:40

Why? Ferrari didn't.

Oh yes they did. :D

#1039 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:50

On a separate note it is so pleasant to see the same people who blasted Ferrari in 2009 and 2010, wishing for it to be Vettels home after he leaves those evil meanies at Red Bull

:lol:

Advertisement

#1040 turssi

turssi

• 1,355 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 19:59

Now you're just playing with words :-)

#1041 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,344 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 20:00

Now you're just playing with words :-)

Oh no I'm not.

#1042 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,438 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 20:14

Anyone who thinks that because Seb has 3 WDC’s on the trot he’s one of the very best and Ferrari actually need him, would do well thinking about why the majority don’t think that way...

Anyone who thinks that the majority's opinion matters at all would do well thinking about the basis for their own opinions. :wave:

#1043 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 395 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 21:08

Anyone who thinks that the majority's opinion matters at all would do well thinking about the basis for their own opinions. :wave:

How does that work in your world... the majority doesn't matter, well on planet earth its does. Anyway, the basis for my opinion is almost 45 years of following F1, it just so happens that I share my opinion with the majority in this instance.

#1044 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,438 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 21:23

How does that work in your world... the majority doesn't matter, well on planet earth its does. Anyway, the basis for my opinion is almost 45 years of following F1, it just so happens that I share my opinion with the majority in this instance.

The majority's opinion doesn't and shouldn't matter in the context of forming one's own opinion on something. I believe one's own observations of an event or person should dictate their opinion of said event or person; this should not be affected by the opinions of a majority. The capability of individual thought is one that seems to me as being severely undervalued in today's world, I think, but that's a discussion best left for another place.

I'm also liable to jump the gun on people as well, sometimes... you'll have to forgive me. I don't think dissing Vettel's talent/personality/standing/reputation/whatever just because the majority feels that way is a fair course of action, and your post seemed to imply that it was. You appear to have come to your conclusion on the matter based on your own experience, though, and I would encourage others to do the same based on what they think, not what others think. :)

#1045 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 395 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 21:25

You're right Ferrari did take Kimi first before Alonso, but you left out the reason,

It was because M. Todt does business old style... long before he offered Kimi a ride he offered Alonso the ride, but unlike the Horner/Helmet tagteam he wasn't able to con FA into being Schmacher's number 2, FA decided to Back out of the deal he had been negotiating with Todt in lieu of Renault drive.

Years later when it came time to retire Herr Schumacher they had nobody to replace him within the team and in typical old school spiteful-little-guy style, Todt refused to offer FA the ride and took the next-best-thing, Kimi.

#1046 Sin

Sin

• 1,952 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 21:26

you don't have the whole world here tho.... germans are here in the minority... if they weren't many votes here would look different...

#1047 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,184 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 21:29

Actually it doesn't matter when it comes down to Ferrari. If LdM wants a driver, he gets said driver if that driver wishes to drive for Ferrari.

(OT, my 4k post :clap: )

#1048 JimiKart

JimiKart

• 395 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 21:43

Actually it doesn't matter when it comes down to Ferrari. If LdM wants a driver, he gets said driver if that driver wishes to drive for Ferrari.

(OT, my 4k post :clap: )

Congrats on hitting 4 K,

Actually I don't think LDM would over-rule someone like Todt, given Todt's track record at Ferrari, all those championships etc. Sometimes as the big-shot you end up letting your subordinates rule the day as without them you might be in even more trouble.

#1049 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 416 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:07

I don't think Alonso would have a problem but I don't think it will happen. I think Vettel will stay at RBR and if Kimi goes there, I can Mark going to Lotus with Romain until he retires. I can also see Massa doing well enough to hold his spot at Ferrari.

Imagine if both Vettel and Webber left RBR....

#1050 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:12

As if Alonso would allow Vettel to come. While the fight with Lewis was challenging, Lewis is at least a honest and fair driver and Alonso did still run away scared.