Photo
* * - - - 9 votes

Vettel off to Ferrari in 2014?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1198 replies to this topic

Poll: Vettel off to Ferrari in 2014? (518 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think Vettel is heading to Ferrari in 2014?

1. Yes, he's going (162 votes [31.33%])

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

2. No, he's staying (196 votes [37.91%])

Percentage of vote: 37.91%

3. Not enough information to form an opinion either way (159 votes [30.75%])

Percentage of vote: 30.75%

If he did move to Ferrar would it be the right choice?

1. Yes (175 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

2. No (259 votes [50.10%])

Percentage of vote: 50.10%

3. I don't have enough information to form an opinion either way (83 votes [16.05%])

Percentage of vote: 16.05%

Vote

#351 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:17

Disagreeing is not the problem, let's do that. At least you appear consistent in so far as you try to shield your arguments from competition as much as you wish to avoid it for Vettel. :D

If you really wish to re-visit my opinion of Alonso, scroll back a few pages - I already discussed it.

I can so see how that looks attractive to you right now. Interestingly, Hamilton doesn't feature either in what you dream up for Vettels future, I wonder why? :p

Well the "why" is simple; they are both favorites of mine. But it was just an example afterall; Hamilton/Vettel would also be exciting racing.

Edited by bourbon, 02 October 2012 - 07:18.

Advertisement

#352 as65p

as65p

• 17,718 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:24

If you really wish to re-visit my opinion of Alonso, scroll back a few pages - I already discussed it.

Well the "why" is simple; they are both favorites of mine. But it was just an example afterall; Hamilton/Vettel would also be exciting racing.

I see. You don't want a pairing of SV with FA, cause you can't stand the latter, and at the same time you don't want him paired with LH, cause he's a favourite of yours.

Makes sense. :drunk:

#353 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:40

I see. You don't want a pairing of SV with FA, cause you can't stand the latter, and at the same time you don't want him paired with LH, cause he's a favourite of yours.

Makes sense. :drunk:

No, on the contrary, any driver with a 'race first' mentality would be great. The point is a pairing that would argue against Ferrari's favored race policy. You want drivers like Hamilton that have the potential to beat Vettel on any given Sunday and visa versa. That makes for exciting racing.

I don't want him paired with FA for the reasons I gave earlier on in this thread. We discussed this already.

Edited by bourbon, 02 October 2012 - 08:29.

#354 as65p

as65p

• 17,718 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:53

I don't want him paired with FA for the reasons I gave earlier on in this thread. The long and short of it is that Alonso does not do teammates well in my opinion. He's never had a teammate relationship that worked out even minimally well for both drivers. We are talking firings, leavings, hystronics, catastrophes, major scandals, plummeting performances, circus-like ontrack antics, etc... Just not an attractive proposition to me. Sorry.

Well, sorry indeed.

Circus-like on track antics, like crashing into his teammate and then making funny gestures, do you mean that kind? Yeah, Turkey 2010 sure was funny. :D

You're just making stuff up. Alonso, like Hamilton, had a single problematic teammate relationship in his career. And even that single one could probably attributed more to the team than the drivers.

There is but a single reason you don't want to see Vettel paired with Alonso, and that is you fear he could lose. Thankfully I reckon Seb isn't anywhere near as scared as you.

#355 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:22

Well, sorry indeed.

Circus-like on track antics, like crashing into his teammate and then making funny gestures, do you mean that kind? Yeah, Turkey 2010 sure was funny. :D

You're just making stuff up. Alonso, like Hamilton, had a single problematic teammate relationship in his career. And even that single one could probably attributed more to the team than the drivers.

There is but a single reason you don't want to see Vettel paired with Alonso, and that is you fear he could lose. Thankfully I reckon Seb isn't anywhere near as scared as you.

Seb is honest with his feelings. And that is great.
Alosno s antics arent in the open and that is the issue.

Although , I am not scared of Vettel getting beat because that would hardly anything other than expected. As long as Vettel doesn't pull a Massa that is.

There is only upside for Vettel as people dont rate him as high as Alonso anyway. Alonso on the other hand has reputation to lose.

#356 as65p

as65p

• 17,718 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:34

Seb is honest with his feelings. And that is great.
Alosno s antics arent in the open and that is the issue.

How not? I read so much in here about Alonsos antics, they appear the worst kept secret in F1. Basically everyone appears to know all about it.

Although , I am not scared of Vettel getting beat because that would hardly anything other than expected. As long as Vettel doesn't pull a Massa that is.

There is only upside for Vettel as people dont rate him as high as Alonso anyway. Alonso on the other hand has reputation to lose.

Well, yeah, that's the spirit, declare defeat before the battle. :lol:

I'm not sure of anything before I see it. That's why I'd like any sort of heads-up between the supposed top guns of F1. Looks like I'm pretty naive to assume others would want that too.

#357 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:45

How not? I read so much in here about Alonsos antics, they appear the worst kept secret in F1. Basically everyone appears to know all about it.

Well, yeah, that's the spirit, declare defeat before the battle. :lol:

I'm not sure of anything before I see it. That's why I'd like any sort of heads-up between the supposed top guns of F1. Looks like I'm pretty naive to assume others would want that too.

I think u got the wrong picture.

I think that Vettel will out qualify Alonso by about 2-3 tenths - give or take a few hundreds. And comfortably beat him in points even with all the antics Alonso can pull.

I was talking about how fans around here perceive the two of them and Vettel is really the one who is the under dog especially if he steps into the red team. Thats why I said he doesnt have much to lose.

Fortunately for him - people dont rate him as they do Magic Alonso :)

#358 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,610 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:51

I think too much is made of Ferrari's supposed 'favour one driver' policy. Is that really their policy, or do they just get behind the driver who happens to be performing at the moment? Look at Massa in '08.

I think if Seb went to Ferrari, things would be more equal between him and Fred than a lot of people think.

#359 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,196 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:55

I can't speak for Sebastian, but I'm going to opine that RB means a lot more to him than "millions of cans full of fizzy drink". Sebastian can join Ferrari and become a part of its stunning success -but he will never be able to say he helped forge the team's initial success, as he can with RB.

He's already done that though. Job done. Drivers need motivation and new challenges, and though winning is a motivation in itself, it's not the be all or end all.

He's a two time world champion with Red Bull. Sure he can become a 3, 4 5 whatever champion, but doing it with a different team and set-up would be a different type of challenge.

In a way Hamilton and Vettel are similar, both young guys which have had success within a certain set up. But at some point they may well seek to push away from that. Hamilton's already done it, and Vettel may well do the same.

Advertisement

#360 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:01

To be fair I wouldn't see why Vettel would drink the poisoned chalice when he's already got plenty of Red Bull...

#361 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,628 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:32

I think too much is made of Ferrari's supposed 'favour one driver' policy. Is that really their policy, or do they just get behind the driver who happens to be performing at the moment? Look at Massa in '08.

I think if Seb went to Ferrari, things would be more equal between him and Fred than a lot of people think.

Exactly. :up: :up:

In fact, if Vettel went to Ferrari, it kind of proves that Ferrari are willing to have two top line drivers race, doesn't it? I dont think Ferrari's aim is to just get rid of Vettel from another top team and then sabotage his tire pressures during race weekends or anything. If Vettel is good enough, there's not a lot Ferrari can do to stop him from beating Alonso. And why would they do anything? If Vettel is better, then he's the one they should back. I dont think either driver would get that much of an advantage over the other, so I reckon they'd be equal most of their time there, just like with Kimi/Massa 07-09 until/unless one of them was realistically out of the championship fight.

#362 discover23

discover23

• 4,361 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:40

Why is this thread so long? Is there strong enough evidence to support this rumor or is it simply wishful thinking?

Edited by discover23, 02 October 2012 - 12:41.

#363 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,610 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:04

Why is this thread so long? Is there strong enough evidence to support this rumor or is it simply wishful thinking?

Probably mostly wishful thinking (I'd love to see it). However I think it will gain plausibility if they either re-sign Massa for one year, or get in someone else on a one year contract.

#364 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:22

10 pages and it still doesn't make much sense WITH WHAT WE KNOW.

Unless RBR is leaving the sport why would Vettel leave? For the "challenge"? Because he loves Ferrari? Sure it's possible, but that's usually fan fantasies. And don't forget this rumour didn't start now, it stated that Vettel signed sometime in 2011 or so for 2014 which is a bit ridiculous.

Even if we accept that Ferrari doesn't have a problem with having 2 top drivers it still doesn't make sense. As far as the WDC goes it DOESN'T increase your chances. Having the best car does that. They have a good thing going with a team built around Alonso why change that?

As much sense as Hamilton to Mercedes made for both parties (way before the rumors started), it doesn't for Vettel to Ferrari.

#365 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,042 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:26

(...)Unless RBR is leaving the sport why would Vettel leave?(...)

I've asked before, nobody answered, why did Alonso ever leave Renault in the first place?
And then: what makes Vettel imune to the same temptations?

#366 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,206 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 13:40

I've asked before, nobody answered, why did Alonso ever leave Renault in the first place?
And then: what makes Vettel imune to the same temptations?

With the engine regs changing or not, depends what happens, there could be implications all around. If they do change, as with the Lewis train of thought and what has been described by the media as potentially shrewd, it is thought that the manufacturers will have an edge as they have more time to develop the car around the new engine packages. Hence Ferrari would be quite a safe bet. True, Red Bull are pretty much the Renault works team, but it isn't quite the same.

If the engines are delayed, Renault may quit and Red Bull are left up the creek.

Seb has an exit clause for 2014.

The paddock gossip say he has signed. This type of paddock gossip is similar to the signing of Alonso, Kubica and Kimi. Ferrari work on long term pre-contracts with star drivers. It ties in with the Ferrari way of doing things.

The fact that Perez wasn't signed due to "inexperience" even though that is unlikely to be the case as it is believed that Hulkenberg is in with a shout of the 2013 seat (sounds like any driver for 2013 is to be short term), suggests that someone is already lined up for 2014. To plan that far ahead suggests that Seb is the obvious candidate.

#367 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:05

OK,

-Re. Alonso leaving from Renault: Not at all the same. Alonso knew very well that Renault's run had an expiration date. The Enstone team, while always decent, is NOT on the same level as Ferrari-McLaren. RedBull is. They have one of if not the biggest badget, one of if not THE best team and excellent operation. And are of course the works Renault team.

-"If the engines are delayed". Hypothetical. As I said, it doesn't make sense with what we KNOW.

-Re. Alonso gossip. Not the same. Everyone pretty much knew Alonso had signed, it was a worst kept secret kind of thing. About Vettel it is nothing but rumors.

-Re. Ferrari "pre-contracts". The rumor started in 2011. When has Ferrari pre-signed someone THREE YEARS beforehand and poaching a top driver from another top team as well. When has that ever happened?

Now, all that said, it is possible that just like Vettel has an exit clause which is pretty smart on his part, he has some kind of INFORMAL agreement with Ferrari.

I am not one to claim I know what is going to happen, or even that it is impossible. But it is just a move that makes little sense. (By that I don't mean Vettel in a Ferrari makes little sense, I mean when considering EVERY parameter). I understand that most people are trying to justify this happening but I am disregarding the rumors and thinking why both sides would do this.

#368 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:08

With the engine regs changing or not, depends what happens, there could be implications all around. If they do change, as with the Lewis train of thought and what has been described by the media as potentially shrewd, it is thought that the manufacturers will have an edge as they have more time to develop the car around the new engine packages. Hence Ferrari would be quite a safe bet. True, Red Bull are pretty much the Renault works team, but it isn't quite the same.

If the engines are delayed, Renault may quit and Red Bull are left up the creek.

Seb has an exit clause for 2014.

The paddock gossip say he has signed. This type of paddock gossip is similar to the signing of Alonso, Kubica and Kimi. Ferrari work on long term pre-contracts with star drivers. It ties in with the Ferrari way of doing things.

The fact that Perez wasn't signed due to "inexperience" even though that is unlikely to be the case as it is believed that Hulkenberg is in with a shout of the 2013 seat (sounds like any driver for 2013 is to be short term), suggests that someone is already lined up for 2014. To plan that far ahead suggests that Seb is the obvious candidate.

That makes sense from Ferrari's perspective, but what about from Seb's perspective? He has publicly expressed doubt about accepting Alonso as a teammate at Ferrari, for reasons related to Alonso's contract. I suppose one could come up with many explanations for his following comment, but - Occam's razor - he is interested in a fair situation, imo.

"...It is on that final point – the driver equality question at Ferrari – that Vettel has some doubt about whether he wants to be with the famous Italian team.

Asked if he would accept being Alonso’s teammate at Ferrari, he answered: “I don’t know. I hear so much about his contract with Ferrari that it makes me think about it. It depends on the situation.”

“I am not afraid of fighting with Fernando at the same team, because that’s good for the team, good for you. It’s much better than having a teammate who is slower,” concluded Vettel."

http://www.yallaf1.c...best-equipment/

Edited by bourbon, 02 October 2012 - 15:09.

#369 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:13

To claim that Vettel had talks with Ferrari would be one thing...but to claim that he SIGNED something THREE YEARS in advance...isn't that a bit far-fetched?

#370 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,628 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:15

sounds like any driver for 2013 is to be short term

Again, I think people are saying this as if its somehow a piece of supporting evidence when really its just part of the same rumor.

#371 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,628 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:20

That makes sense from Ferrari's perspective, but what about from Seb's perspective? He has publicly expressed doubt about accepting Alonso as a teammate at Ferrari, for reasons related to Alonso's contract. I suppose one could come up with many explanations for his following comment, but - Occam's razor - he is interested in a fair situation, imo.

If he had talks with Ferrari, he would know the situation. They could just tell him straight up - yea, Alonso has a no.1 clause in contract and you'll be playing no.2. Sounds to me like he hasn't even talked to them yet(at the time of that interview), or else he would already know whats up.

But the situation makes no sense at all. Ferrari wouldn't hire a guy like Vettel to make him a no.2. If Vettel refuses to go to Ferrari, assuming the option was ever there to begin with, it would most likely be for other reasons. Occam's Razor really works against your argument here.

#372 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,316 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:29

Renault couldn't gurantee to Alonso the future of the F1 team beyond 2006, that was one of the reasons.

#373 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:50

To claim that Vettel had talks with Ferrari would be one thing...but to claim that he SIGNED something THREE YEARS in advance...isn't that a bit far-fetched?

It started going around some time in May 2012 rumours that he's signed for Ferrari, that's more like 1,5 years in advance... oh McLaren did the same with Montoya and Alonso didn't they? ;)

#374 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:28

Ah, no mate this rumour isn't new. It started last year.

#375 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 18:15

Ah, no mate this rumour isn't new. It started last year.

The rumour is old, but it intensified mid season this year.

I mean, as long as it is a rumour, we neither know whether nor when he has signed - maybe the rumours that he signed in 2011 were wrong and the 2012 rumours are true. Even if has signed in 2011 already, it could still be that the deal was done for 2014, because only then he has an exit clause for his RB contract.

Let's first wait until we know who is at Ferrari and whether that driver will only get a one year contract.  ;)

#376 discover23

discover23

• 4,361 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 18:20

The paddock gossip say he has signed. This type of paddock gossip is similar to the signing of Alonso,....

Really? .. I find this hard to believe.

#377 EvanRainer

EvanRainer

• 1,364 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 18:26

I don't care if this does happen, I'll still find it really weird.

Unless, OF COURSE, when it happens we learn the real reasons involved behind the move.

#378 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 18:31

After some recent friction on the track between those two, I cannot see this relationship to work. There would be Civil Ware at House of SF. Seb might get over it, but I don't think that Asturian would.

#379 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 18:34

After some recent friction on the track between those two, I cannot see this relationship to work. There would be Civil Ware at House of SF. Seb might get over it, but I don't think that Asturian would.

Montoya had some words on future team mate here :lol:

Montoya calls Räikkönen a "f*cking idiot" on team radio

Advertisement

#380 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,458 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 21:37

I think that even if Ferrari is applying a 1-2 status with Alonso as they have done from mid 2010 and onwards it doesn't mean that they will do that in 2014 (if Vettel is coming). And since Alonso has been so much better than Massa who can really blame them. But I can't really understand why so many believe things always has to stay the same in a team. Especially since Ferrari still hasn't won a championship since 2008. There has to be different opinions within Ferrari about what is best. 1-2 vs equal status. It makes perfect sense for them to sign a driver like Vettel that is very special and to have 2 of the very best drivers in the same team. And Vettel has always said that he wants to drive for Ferrari one day. And then they will probably get to race each other for that season until it makes sense to put most efforts behind one driver. Hope it happens. Will be very interesting.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 02 October 2012 - 21:39.

#381 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 22:25

If he had talks with Ferrari, he would know the situation. They could just tell him straight up - yea, Alonso has a no.1 clause in contract and you'll be playing no.2. Sounds to me like he hasn't even talked to them yet(at the time of that interview), or else he would already know whats up.

But the situation makes no sense at all. Ferrari wouldn't hire a guy like Vettel to make him a no.2. If Vettel refuses to go to Ferrari, assuming the option was ever there to begin with, it would most likely be for other reasons.

I agree with everything you said. :up:

Occam's Razor really works against your argument here.

Not sure how... I just meant Vettel's words should be taken at face value, rather than putting a strange spin on them.

#382 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,847 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:46

"...It is on that final point – the driver equality question at Ferrari – that Vettel has some doubt about whether he wants to be with the famous Italian team.

Asked if he would accept being Alonso’s teammate at Ferrari, he answered: “I don’t know. I hear so much about his contract with Ferrari that it makes me think about it. It depends on the situation.”

“I am not afraid of fighting with Fernando at the same team, because that’s good for the team, good for you. It’s much better than having a teammate who is slower,” concluded Vettel."

http://www.yallaf1.c...best-equipment/

This interview is from July 27. Do people really think SV would have ANY type of agreement with Ferrari and make these kinds of comments?

And, from the same interview, before he talks about the contract situation, he says, “It’s not good for a racing team to have one driver fighting for wins and the other with significantly lower results,” he insisted. “From the outside we cannot understand the reasons that Felipe is not able to show his natural speed, because he is very fast.”

“People forget that if his (Massa’s) engine had not broken here (in Hungary) in 2008, he would have won the title. Now he’s miles away from the top of championship, even though the car is working well.

“I don’t understand that
,” added Vettel.

Does he sound like someone who believes there's equal status at Ferrari? Does he sound confused as to why Massa is not doing better?

Come on.

Edited by RealRacing, 03 October 2012 - 01:46.

#383 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:11

That sounds like backlash on Alonso because of his "Hamilton's better than Sebastian" remarks.

#384 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,847 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:34

That sounds like backlash on Alonso because of his "Hamilton's better than Sebastian" remarks.

If that was true, do they look like they would make good teammates?

#385 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,628 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:56

Not sure how... I just meant Vettel's words should be taken at face value, rather than putting a strange spin on them.

Yea.......ya know at the time of writing that, it made sense to me, but I cant for the life of me think how now. :lol:

Also, those Vettel words definitely dont sound like something a driver heading to Ferrari would be saying. Not that it really means he thinks that Ferrari are somehow sabotaging Massa or anything, but some people could interpret it like that and its just not something you'd say.

But then again, Alonso said some things unflattering about Ferrari before and he's here, so who knows?

Edited by Seanspeed, 03 October 2012 - 15:57.

#386 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 1,847 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 16:26

Yea.......ya know at the time of writing that, it made sense to me, but I cant for the life of me think how now. :lol:

Also, those Vettel words definitely dont sound like something a driver heading to Ferrari would be saying. Not that it really means he thinks that Ferrari are somehow sabotaging Massa or anything, but some people could interpret it like that and its just not something you'd say.

But then again, Alonso said some things unflattering about Ferrari before and he's here, so who knows?

That was my point...and it casts doubt on him having anything serious with Ferrari so far. He talks about Massa first and then about FA's contract. Why would a driver like SV a) make such comments for free, meaning: if he didn't believe it, and b) make such comments if he had any relation or talks with Ferrari.

SV thinks there might be something going on at Ferrari that indicates different status for the drivers. And he and FA do not seem to like each other too much. Does this look like someone who is going there in 2014?

#387 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 16:40

Vettel may have signed an option with Ferrari ie pocketed a sum of money in exchange for giving them first call on his services but I doubt he will blindly go sign a binding contract without being guaranteed parity. And as to Ferrari, Alonso is doing an exceptional job there BUT if he doesn't win the championship this season I promise you things will not be rosy for long. Next year the pressure will go up dramatically. 2014 will be his 5th season at Ferrari, Ferrari is fickle, don't assume they will adore Alonso if they have to go into their 5th season with no championship. And this is not a dig at Alonso, it's just the way Ferrari works.

#388 Peeko

Peeko

• 3,211 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 16:48

If he keeps putting the car they provide him where it's supposed to finished and at times beyond that they will continue to adore him. You'd have a point if they provided him with the best or 2nd best car (from the start) year after year and somehow managed to stuff it up. Ferrari expect results and Fernando is delivering in spades.

#389 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,206 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 17:08

Vettel may have signed an option with Ferrari ie pocketed a sum of money in exchange for giving them first call on his services but I doubt he will blindly go sign a binding contract without being guaranteed parity. And as to Ferrari, Alonso is doing an exceptional job there BUT if he doesn't win the championship this season I promise you things will not be rosy for long. Next year the pressure will go up dramatically. 2014 will be his 5th season at Ferrari, Ferrari is fickle, don't assume they will adore Alonso if they have to go into their 5th season with no championship. And this is not a dig at Alonso, it's just the way Ferrari works.

I think that is what the rumours around the paddock are implying. Seb might have signed a first call on his services with Ferrari should certain clauses be met.

#390 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,031 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:15

In relation to the "why would Vettel go to/want to drive for Ferrari?" If he were to win championships there, it would add more to his legacy I think.

In the same way that people remember Schumachers titles with Ferrari more than Benetton.

#391 emby1999

emby1999

• 62 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:24

This interview is from July 27. Do people really think SV would have ANY type of agreement with Ferrari and make these kinds of comments?

And, from the same interview, before he talks about the contract situation, he says, “It’s not good for a racing team to have one driver fighting for wins and the other with significantly lower results,” he insisted. “From the outside we cannot understand the reasons that Felipe is not able to show his natural speed, because he is very fast.”

“People forget that if his (Massa’s) engine had not broken here (in Hungary) in 2008, he would have won the title. Now he’s miles away from the top of championship, even though the car is working well.

“I don’t understand that
,” added Vettel.

Does he sound like someone who believes there's equal status at Ferrari? Does he sound confused as to why Massa is not doing better?

Come on.

Of course he is confused because he cannot comprehend that Alonso could genuinely be so much better than a quality driver like Massa, just like you can't, so he looks for other explanations. If he ever goes to Ferrari he will finally understand things very clearly. Its funny seeing Vettel make his accusations, because I can't remember Ferrari ever taking off parts from Massa's car and giving them to Alonso. Plus Webber has also been ordered not to try to overtake Vettel, Ferrari have never done that either. He's got some nerve.

Edited by emby1999, 05 October 2012 - 07:34.

#392 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:11

Of course he is confused because he cannot comprehend that Alonso could genuinely be so much better than a quality driver like Massa, just like you can't, so he looks for other explanations. If he ever goes to Ferrari he will finally understand things very clearly. Its funny seeing Vettel make his accusations, because I can't remember Ferrari ever taking off parts from Massa's car and giving them to Alonso. Plus Webber has also been ordered not to try to overtake Vettel, Ferrari have never done that either. He's got some nerve.

Well, there could also be other circumstances that lead to Massa performing worse. Only the best drivers make it into a top team in F1 and if you are not confident or fit enough, you lack those crucial few tenths. It's probably a combination of a very strong Alonso and Massa not performing at his peak.

In any case, I think Vettel is still considering Ferrari, because it's simply where he wants to be at some point in his career (which becomes quite clear in several interviews over many years). Even if he believes that Massa does not get equal treatment, that doesn't have to hold for Vettel as well. I mean, it's pretty clear that Vettel wouldn't accept that and, more importantly, there would be much cheaper alternatives.

I believe the thought of signing Vettel must be tempting for Ferrari. Vettel and Alonso at Ferrari would be THE team in F1. And maybe, they think that they can handle such as pairing better than McLaren in 2007.

#393 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:37

Sign him up.

#394 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:57

He shouldn't sign up while FA is there, despite that good choices are limited.

#395 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:13

Yes it makes sense, leave a team that is going to make him WDC champion 3 years in a row, a team that gives him No1 status to a team that is fading at the final hurdle and inconsitent and at best can provide him a part time number 1 status.

#396 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:23

Yes it makes sense, leave a team that is going to make him WDC champion 3 years in a row, a team that gives him No1 status to a team that is fading at the final hurdle and inconsitent and at best can provide him a part time number 1 status.

Doubled salary and after all Alonso will be at least 2nd or 3rd this year.

#397 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:26

I still believe Webber will be going there in 2014, not Vettel. I just can't see Red Bull letting their No 2 asset (Newey is #1) walk out the door.

#398 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,034 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:33

I still believe Webber will be going there in 2014, not Vettel. I just can't see Red Bull letting their No 2 asset (Newey is #1) walk out the door.

Teams don't always have the ability to stop drivers leaving, as we have recently seen. If money is the dealbreaker, then yes, they can fix that. If he just wants a new challenge, or to work with an engine manufacturer, or simply the prestige of driving for Ferrari, then what can they do?

#399 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:34

If Webber turned down a deal with Ferrari this year because he wanted two years... why would they offer him that for 2014 when the four years younger Button is out of contract? :eek: Not forgetting Rosberg either obviously.

Advertisement

#400 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 14:35

If he wants to drive a dog he should sign for Ferrari, yes.