Hamilton legacy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 Gold

Gold

• 197 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:08

This might sound overly simplistic but in my opinion:

F1 is about speed. To the layman, to racers at heart in the end game Formula One is about one thing. Driving fast.

From a simple point of view F1 is not about reliability, fuel management, consistency, points, sportsmanship, managing tires, etc.

Sure those things are all relevant in modern Formula One, but in essence the whole thing is about speed. Driving a car to the limit of its and your ability, about using courage to overcome fear.

By that definition (and only that definition) surely Lewis Hamilton is unique?

Almost all fans and current F1 drivers alike agree that Lewis is the fastest F1 driver over a single lap on the grid today.

I don't mean to start a fanboy discussion, but leaving aside his teenage attitude, ridiculous childish off track actions and tempramental emotions does that not define Lewis Hamilton as the fastest modern F1 driver?

That deserves an incredible amount of respect in my opinion.

I'd like to hear the opinion of others as to how much weight speed holds in Formula One.

Advertisement

#2 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:15

I don't mean to start a fanboy discussion

I'm glad about that :D

#3 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,462 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:19

What have you done :eek:

Edited by Kvothe, 18 September 2012 - 21:22.

#4 03011969

• 656 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:20

Almost all fans and current F1 drivers alike agree that Lewis is the fastest F1 driver over a single lap on the grid today.

Really? I'd be interested in seeing the data behind that claim.

#5 Wlleiotl

Wlleiotl

• 955 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:20

i would guess that this is not the case

#6 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:23

F1 is about speed. To the layman, to racers at heart in the end game Formula One is about one thing. Driving fast.

From a simple point of view F1 is not about reliability, fuel management, consistency, points, sportsmanship, managing tires, etc.

Sure those things are all relevant in modern Formula One, but in essence the whole thing is about speed. Driving a car to the limit of its and your ability, about using courage to overcome fear.

Not by a long shot.

Pure fabrication.

I don't mean to start a fanboy discussion, but leaving aside his teenage attitude, ridiculous childish off track actions and tempramental emotions does that not define Lewis Hamilton as the fastest modern F1 driver?

Not by a long shot.

[That deserves an incredible amount of respect in my opinion.

I'd like to hear the opinion of others as to how much weight speed holds in Formula One.

Without all the qualities you're omitting, speed doesn't mean much. One has to have it all.

:cool:

#7 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,618 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:24

Oh no man,you shouldn't... i think it will be removed to Lewis thread.

Lets Vettel be the fastest... i am tired of discussions.

#8 ExEd

ExEd

• 2,190 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:24

Really? I'd be interested in seeing the data behind that claim.

Would you be happy if he said "one of the fastest"??

#9 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:26

Driving a car to the limit of its and your ability, about using courage to overcome fear.

:rolleyes:
Wish we had a puke smiley.

#10 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,295 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:27

Slightly OT, but Hamilton has a far better chance of achieving a 'legacy' and 'global brand' at Mclaren than at Mercedes, simply because he's more likely to win championships at Mclaren. Schumacher's Ferrari 'legacy' didn't stem from the fact that he drove for the most famous team in the sport, but that he won 5 consecutive WDCs with them.

#11 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:28

Posted Image

#12 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:28

Posted Image

#13 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 1,868 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:33

... but leaving aside his teenage attitude, ridiculous childish off track actions and tempramental emotions ...

was this necessary if you wanted to focus the discussion on speed? :rolleyes:

#14 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:35

Well Lewis does have the most poles this season, which is regarded as the tightest grid in years.

#15 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:38

troll thread
where's that puke smiley

#16 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,462 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:39

Lets Vettel be the fastest... i am tired of discussions.

:up:

Is it not enough that we already have:

The Lewis Hamilton Thread

Mark Hughes article on Lewis Hamilton thread

Hamilton signs agreement with Mercedes thread

Hamilton replacement thread

2012 Lewis v Jenson thread

Must there be another thread I'll inevitably end up wading into, once the inevitable negative criticisms go overboard.

Edited by Kvothe, 18 September 2012 - 21:40.

#17 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:41

Well Lewis does have the most poles this season, which is regarded as the tightest grid in years.

And the championship standings show the relevance of that.

#18 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:43

And the championship standings show the relevance of that.

And what does qualifying show?

#19 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

troll thread
where's that puke smiley

Posted Image
Thread

Advertisement

#20 CONOSUR

CONOSUR

• 10,647 posts

Posted Image

:cool:

#21 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:52

I'm pretty new to F1 but my understanding is F1 is in fact about all these things and always has been.

And in respect of speed, it's actually much more about building the quickest car.

#22 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:52

And what does qualifying show?

The relevance of qualifying.

#23 Biggun

Biggun

• 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:53

Any quotes from current drivers to back this up or are you just trolling?

#24 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:55

Posted Image

Posted Image
Thread

Thanks guys lol

#25 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:55

I agree Hamilton is the fast but erratic driver of this era.

Not the best driver though :p

#26 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:56

:rolleyes:
Wish we had a puke smiley.

Indeed- let's just say Alonso or Vettel are fastest. Should spare sensitive souls like yourself.

As for the topic....... hmmm. It's not going well!

#27 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:56

What a nice bunch of people we have here.
Jp

#28 Biggun

Biggun

• 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 21:59

Hamilton reminds me of a better version of Montoya.

Very very fast and entertaining but prone to thinking with his balls and not his brain.

#29 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:01

Great idea for a thread! :smoking:

#30 P123

P123

• 23,936 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:02

What a nice bunch of people we have here.
Jp

Praise of Hamilton tends to bring out the child in many. However, Gold does seem to have presented his opinion as fact so that has no doubt pushed them over the edge and into emoticon madness.

#31 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:06

Indeed- let's just say Alonso or Vettel are fastest. Should spare sensitive souls like yourself.

Err, I'm an Alonso/Vettel fan? And I'm sensitive about that?

You sure you got the right guy? :lol:

#32 prty

prty

• 8,434 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:09

To see the other point of view, you have this interview extract from some driver:

[After explaining every button of the steering wheel: DRS, KERS, diff...]

Q: And on top of that you know how to drive well.

A: That's the least important part, normally [laughs]

The least important part?

That more or less, we all know how to do. Everyone who arrives to F1 has the necessary or demonstrated talent in lower series: karting, F3, Formula Nissan, in Gp2... everyone won things already and arrived to F1. But then when you arrive to F1 the truly complicated stuff arrives: for a day like this, full of events, things, etc. not to make your physical preparation decrease or make you lose concentration. And then the complicated electronics of an F1 car.

[...]

About what makes the best driver

No, I don't think [pause] don't think that it's possible to evaluate who is the best or the worst. And you don't want to be the best either. I want, or I don't want, that there is any driver in the Canadian GP starting grid, who has prepared the race better than me, who trained better than me, who has seen all the data better than me, who knows the car better than me, or who has tactically prepared that race better than me. That is what I want to achieve, and maybe can say aloud, that I managed to do. But did I do this better or worse? I don't know.

So everyone can make their own opinion about the subject.

#33 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:10

Praise of Hamilton tends to bring out the child in many. However, Gold does seem to have presented his opinion as fact so that has no doubt pushed them over the edge and into emoticon madness.

A similar opening post about Vettel or Alonso would provoke very similar responses. And rightfully so.

#34 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:13

A similar opening post about Vettel or Alonso would provoke very similar responses. And rightfully so.

Vettel got 15 poles last season, that shows how fast he is.

#35 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:17

lewis will be remember as the guy who throw away chances for better results althought having a car capable of winning!!!

#36 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:22

I say wait a few years, 25 at a minimum, before we start talking legacies.....

#37 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:27

Is your Christian name "Comedy" by any chance ?

#38 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,188 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 22:34

I say wait a few years, 25 at a minimum, before we start talking legacies.....

Not sure 25 years is the number, but certainly seeing as Hamilton is potentially only midway through his career, to begin with a "legacy" statement seems foolish to me.

In addition, as mentioned previously it's not as if we don't have several threads already set up to debate every single aspect of Hamilton so on that basis with pretty conclusive evidence that this thread will only plummet further into emoticon & troll despair, it's right that it's now CLOSED.