- Stone brothers racing and Erebus Australia will merge. Presumably Erebus will eventually buy the team in the longer term.
- AMG customer racing division in Germany will prepare a derivative of the 6.3 L GT3-spec V8 for use. It will be reduced to 5.0L, 7500 rpm etc as with other v8 supercar engines.
- There is no official involvement of Mercedes-Benz Australia. The team will be sponsored by a number of Mercedes-Benz dealers.
- The E-class bodystyle will be fitted over the standardised car of the future chassis.
- There will be at least three Mercedes cars at this point (notionally the SBR-prepared cars for Slade, van Gisbergen and Holdsworth). Maybe they will add some extra customer cars or support further teams later on?
The opposition of MB Australia is well known--naturally the removal of the turbos, 7 speeds, all wheel drive etc that the more sophisticated road going cousin has--and the possibility to be beaten by "lowly" Holdens or "HSVs" makes it a poor marketing fit in their opinion . It will be interesting to see how this deal goes and whether official support is gained later on.
The last Mercedes entry was a private C class during the Group A era. To the contrary it is their rivals, BMW, who are better known for their continuous involvement in Australian touring car racing through the 80s and 90s, winning the touring car championship in '87 and the Bathurst 1000 in '97.
Edited by V8 Fireworks, 19 September 2012 - 06:49.