Photo

A very interesting early Cameron racing car?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 THead

THead

• 108 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 14:32

Posted Image

We are posting early Cameron photos on The Old Motor and believe that this may have been one of the companies
first racing cars circa 1906-08. The light-weight cars did well in racing, hill-climbs and sprints and even held a worlds
record for a time. Information on the maker is scarce, can anyone here direct us to any Cameron racing information?
The illustration at the bottom shows the the basic design the Cameron Brothers used.

It also appears that this may have been one of the first walking-beam engine in the U.S. ?? We are involved in caring for a Duesenberg
walking beam racing car and the research of their history. What engines in other parts of the world used this design?? We are always looking
for Duesenberg racing photos and walking-beam info. Please let us know if you can help.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 15:55

Education please! I know about walking beams in the context of pumps and the like, and even old steamships, but how is the principle applied in a motor car?

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 16:44

See the drawing in post 1. The camshaft operates on the bottom ends of the pivoting levers ('walking beams') causing the valves to open. Fuller details and photos elsewhere on THead's site:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=20330

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 16:59

Thanks for that , Tim. What lovely componentry. I am puzzled about the shape of the combustion chamber, seeing the valves in those positions. Any ideas, anyone, for a known non-engineer?. Lovely website overall, btw.
Roger Lund

Edited by bradbury west, 20 September 2012 - 17:00.

#5 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 20:09

This form of valve operation was also employed on the British Horstman car made in Bath around the first war years. I nearly bought a lovely original example of this car, but decided that the engine was not its strongest feature however fun it might be to have such an ideosyncratic machine. In addition, it had been on display in a museum for years and the vendor thought that recommissioning it would be a simple matter, but I feared otherwise, so I passed on it. I still have a tinge of regret I did.

Marticelli