Paul Tracy - F3000 - Jordan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shatterstar

Shatterstar

• 63 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 18:15

Hi all.

I'm still doing research on Paul Tracy's early career and stumbled across this newspaper article (I seem to have misplaced the source — it was either the Globe and Mail or the Toronto Star).

Tracy on the move: Scarborough's Paul Tracy is the latest Canadian driver heading for Britain to test a Formula 3000 car with a view to racing full-time in the demanding European-based series in 1990.

Tracy will be travelling to the Silverstone circuit near Northampton and is scheduled to make his debut on Nov. 7 at the wheel of a Reynard prepared by Eddie Jordan Racing. The Camel- backed team is one of the regular front-runners in this class of racing and the test session is part of an ongoing driver evaluation program.

The open-wheel Formula 3000 cars, powered by 3-litre V8s producing close to 500 horsepower, are close cousins of Formula One machinery. The hard-charging Tracy has competed in the American Racing Series - an Indy car support class - for the past two seasons and should have little trouble adapting to his new mount.

He finished seventh in the ARS standings this year after a largely frustrating season in which mechanical problems and bad luck prevented him from finishing eight of the 12 championship rounds.

A number of Canadian drivers have competed in Formula 3000 over the past few years, including John Jones, Daniel Campeau, and this season, Stephane Proulx. In addition, Export "A" Inc. Formula 2000 champion Claude Bourbonnais tested an Eddie Jordan Reynard at Silverstone last month and is hopeful of securing a ride for next season.

Was anyone here associated with Jordan Racing at that time? Did the test take place? Can anyone tell me anything about the car (was there tobacco sponsorship on it — assuming not, being in England — car number, misc...)

Thanks!

Edited by Shatterstar, 19 September 2012 - 18:21.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 18:53

Here's how Autosport reported the test:

David Brabham and Canadian Paul Tracy experienced wildly differing fortunes when they became the latest drivers to test Eddie Jordan Racing's F3000 Reynard 89Ds at Silverstone last Thursday.

Brabham's run came to an early conclusion when he had an off at the chicane on the full club circuit, holing the Reynard's tub in the process.

Tracy, meanwhile, strongly impressed the attendant Jordan and engineer Paul Crosby greatly by completing 60 trouble-free laps in differing conditions.

"He was really quick and did a damned good job," conceded EJ.

Tracy himself had mutual admiration for the team: "They were by far the most professional people I have ever worked with. I must admit that before the test I was a little sceptical about its value, but if I could run with a top team I would certainly consider the European F3000 series. The car handled well and it was a joy to drive."

Tracy has proved his pace in a number of American Racing Series outings this year, having last been in the UK to drive a Van Diemen in the BBC Grandstand FF2000 Trophy races in 1986.

No photographs, I'm afraid.

#3 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 535 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 19:21

Here's how Autosport reported the test:

No photographs, I'm afraid.

paul nearly came to GJ Motorsports in 1991 for F3000 but after many hours speaking and faxing (pre e mails) it all came to nothing.

Rodney

#4 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,825 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:32

Very interesting topic!!!

#5 king_crud

king_crud

• 7,984 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:55

(was there tobacco sponsorship on it — assuming not, being in England — car number, misc...)

From memory they used to run in full Camel colours, but in the UK they ran with just a picture of a camel, without "Camel" written

#6 Shatterstar

Shatterstar

• 63 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 13:21

These are the cars that Brabham and Tracy likely would have tested. The pictures say they were taken at Brands Hatch and have the Camel sponsorship in place.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Would love to know a little more about the cars they tested!!