Photo

Lotus 49 initial run and test

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 20:32

Sorry if this has been posted before but I picked this up in the iRacing simulator forum:

Initial run
http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Dario Franchitti talks about Jim Clark and the Lotus Indycar

Edited by karlth, 19 September 2012 - 20:33.

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:10

Not seen the Ford promo on the '67 Dutch GP before :up: Some great footage of how it used to be, cars with suspension travel, and a distinct absence of crash barriers !

#3 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:36

Thank you karlth. I hadn't seen that before. Marvellous stuff.

I noticed Graham Hill putting a conciliatory arm around Keith Duckworth's shoulder after the DFV in his car had expired (7min 7 sec in) . And Tony Rudd hurrying down to congratulate Chapman after the win.

Different times....

Edited by Gary Davies, 20 September 2012 - 07:39.

#4 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:21

Isn't that just a sublimely nostalgic piece? That race winner had stunning impact at the time, and as Tony Rudd confessed after seeing the DFV's capabilities in practice, "We realised it was all over...".

DCN

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:23

Thanks karlth - that brought back memories! I'd forgotten Graham had to actually push the car back that day.

Different times indeed. These days they go round picking up marbles to make sure they're over weight: near the end as Jimmy rolls into the pits you can see he's taken a trip across the vegetation, with his rear tyres plastered with grass cuttings :lol:

#6 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:36

Nice to see a 49 with the correct nose shape.

#7 David Wright

David Wright

• 99 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:52

This film includes short clips from other circuits. It seems to be based on "Nine Days in Summer" which covers the Lotus 49 in the 67 season. Recommended.

The thread title is a little misleading. The Lotus 49 initial run and test was at Snetterton. Nine Days includes a clip of this though probably re-staged after the event.

Edited by David Wright, 20 September 2012 - 12:53.

#8 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 18:15

funnily enough, over a cup of tea this afternoon, I re-watched the BBC 'Wheelbase' programme on the 1969 Monaco Grand Prix. The actual race was given small coverage, it concentrated on the practice days, where, if you remember, the cars started off with high wings, then they were banned (on the Friday, I think). The cars then ran with only nose wings but with a few also with an 'engine cover'. Great footage.....NGH was interviewed quite soon after his win...and he looks absolutely knackered! Aside : Chunky pours the champagne into the trophy which Graham then hands to...............not the sponsor, not the Team Owner or even himself, but.................his mechanic, who then takes a sip, Billy Cowe, I think. Class. And yes, I've tried to get the BBC interested in a DVD release for this sort of thing............no luck.

#9 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 434 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:52

Gary, While on the subject of the 49 and NGH, do you know where the clip of him onboard at Monaco commentating on his lap (in '70 I think) comes from? My guess would be that years BBC Wheelbase programme, but AFAIK they covered some of the race live that year and Wheelbase didn't cover the Monaco GP.

#10 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:42

My guess would be that years BBC Wheelbase programme, but AFAIK they covered some of the race live that year and Wheelbase didn't cover the Monaco GP.

Wheelbase did a good job oif "filling in" the live TV gaps in the early 1970s but as far as I can remember both the 1969 and 1970 races were carried live by the BBC. In 1969, coverage of the Monacoi GP was shared as part of a programme on the launch (I think) of Apollo 10 - so could argue that there was a technology theme there. The anchorman in the BBC studio was Cliff Michelmore. However - and being resident in Scotland at the time - there was an inevitable "except for viewers in Scotland" moment as, although the start and finish was shown (and sometimes they missed out those!) BBC Scotland elected to show a film of the previous week's hurling championship (which wasn't so technologically biased). Ironically, the bit they missed out was where JYS was leading in the Matra!

The 1970 race was also shown live as far as I can recall as I remember vividly Jack Brabham's brake-fade moment and - as a confirmed Jochen Rindt fan - was delighted in that result although did feel great sympathy for Brabham. Three wins in three years for the Lotus 49. Superb stuff.

Edited by Pullman99, 21 September 2012 - 16:42.

#11 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:56

This film includes short clips from other circuits. It seems to be based on "Nine Days in Summer" which covers the Lotus 49 in the 67 season. Recommended. The thread title is a little misleading. The Lotus 49 initial run and test was at Snetterton. Nine Days includes a clip of this though probably re-staged after the event.

Having been an enthusiastic viewer of Nine Days in Summer ever since I borrowed a copy from the old Ford Film Library to show at my svchool's film cliub in 1968, I fully concur that the footage is truly superb and very nostalgic now.

When Jim Clark won "First Time Out" at Zandvoort, the production of"Nine Days..." was alread quite advanced although having later spoken with some of the film team who were involved, nearly all of the "development" shots that you see was filmed afterwards. Hence the fades from sketches to actual race footage. And music by Jeff Wayne too! The shorter film was an opportunity for Ford to highlight their achievement and as far as I know was released almost immediately and well before "Nine Days..." was completed. Always particularly liked the initail testing scenes with Graham Hill at Snetterton.

#12 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 19:27

Gordon Huckle - Long time since I've seen his face.

#13 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 19:27

Sorry if this has been posted before but I picked this up in the iRacing simulator forum:

Initial run

The credits at the end mention the "Ford engineers", but did Ford ever give any technical help?

#14 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 20:20

'do you know where the clip of him onboard at Monaco commentating on his lap (in '70 I think) comes from?'
No, I've never seen an on-board from 1970..............on-board Rob Walker's 49 ?

#15 David Wright

David Wright

• 99 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 21:51

Having been an enthusiastic viewer of Nine Days in Summer ever since I borrowed a copy from the old Ford Film Library to show at my svchool's film cliub in 1968, I fully concur that the footage is truly superb and very nostalgic now.

When Jim Clark won "First Time Out" at Zandvoort, the production of"Nine Days..." was alread quite advanced although having later spoken with some of the film team who were involved, nearly all of the "development" shots that you see was filmed afterwards. Hence the fades from sketches to actual race footage. And music by Jeff Wayne too! The shorter film was an opportunity for Ford to highlight their achievement and as far as I know was released almost immediately and well before "Nine Days..." was completed. Always particularly liked the initail testing scenes with Graham Hill at Snetterton.

Thanks for this extra info. Since First Time Out includes footage from the Nurburgring there must have been a bit of a delay before it came out, but I'm sure it came out before Nine Days. They must have shot more footage for Nine Days than was shown. Perhaps a new thread along the lines of whatever happened to the Grand Prix out-takes.

Edited by David Wright, 21 September 2012 - 21:52.

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 23:06

Originally posted by arttidesco
.....and a distinct absence of crash barriers!

Well, it is Zandvoort...

That's where catch fences, which aren't as apparent as 'crash barriers' came into being and were popularised. For a while.

I will have to wait until later to view this clip as it re-started when halfway through downloading the first time. On this slow (mobile broadband) connection that took almost an hour!

#17 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,405 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:00

Those were the days... The way the cars move on the track is fascinating, and the racing environment is real road racing, "out in the nature," with sand dunes, hills, bends and corners. Where did it all go?

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,238 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:06

Did you like the move Denny made on the Ferrari on the second lap?

A very nice clip... lots of good things to see and even a nice pan of Bob Anderson in his Brabham.

#19 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 00:40

Those were the days... The way the cars move on the track is fascinating, and the racing environment is real road racing, "out in the nature," with sand dunes, hills, bends and corners. Where did it all go?

I don't know, but there are many days when I miss it........

Advertisement

#20 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 00:44

Did you like the move Denny made on the Ferrari on the second lap?

A very nice clip... lots of good things to see and even a nice pan of Bob Anderson in his Brabham.

On the inside of Tarzan against Mike Parkes and yes the pan of Anderson was very good to see. Hard to fathom that Ferrari fielded 3 cars for this race, the first since Monaco and Bandini's passing. Different times back then.

Edited by jj2728, 23 September 2012 - 00:47.

#21 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 434 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:34

No, I've never seen an on-board from 1970..............on-board Rob Walker's 49 ?

It does look like Rob Walkers 49 in '70, yes. Shown on the build up to last years Monaco GP on the BBC.

#22 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:26

Blimey. I've never seen that before!

#23 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:46

Simple dear DOHC,
it was all sacrified for the greed of Mr E.
Just like everything else in motor racing from those days on.
With the help of Colin Chapman, and his damned wings, of every shape or position.
And with the help, also, of a lot of journalists that for some windbreakers with the Marlboro logo on the back,
they choosed to praise Mr E work.

All the best.
MonzaDriver