Photo

IndyCar 2013 silly season

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:46

What are you expections about the IndyCar field for 2013?

Advertisement

#2 Collective

Collective

• 1,524 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:07

My first prediction is that during Indy 500 Danica will be mentioned between 50235252 and 99999924234 more times that any driver actually competing in the race.

#3 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:01

To get this one out of the way straight away, relatively solid rumours are Rubens leaving KV and becoming Pagenaud's teammate at Schmidt-Hamilton.

#4 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:07

My first prediction is that during Indy 500 Danica will be mentioned between 50235252 and 99999924234 more times that any driver actually competing in the race.

So, this is now a Danica thread.

#5 Peat

Peat

• 8,865 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:15

Penske:

Power
Castroneves
(Allmendinger?)

Andretti:

RHR
Marco
Hinch
(Savedra?)
(Figuerdo?)

Ganassi:

Franchitti
Dixon

Kimball
(Briscoe?)

KV

Kanaan
(Viso?)

Panther/DRR

Hilderbrand
Servia

Schmidt Hamilton:

Pagenaud
Barrichello

Dragon

Legge
(Bourdais?)

RLL

Rahal
(Sato?)
(Briscoe?)

Ed Carpenter Racing

Carpenter
(?)

Foyt

(Cunningham?)
(Meira?)

Coyne

Wilson

Herta

Tagliani

SFHR

Newgarden

HVM

di Silvestro

(Team Viso?)

(Michael Shank Racing?)

Any i missed?

*EDITED*

Edited by Peat, 21 September 2012 - 10:30.

#6 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:43

Legge has a three-year deal with Dragon because she brings sponsorship along. So I suspect that unless Bourdais gets poached at the last minute, both of them will be driving for the team next year (hopefully both for a full season this time).

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,792 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:36

Graham Rahal is strongly rumoured to be joining his dad at Rahal-Letterman-Lanigan. Rahal (Bobby) is also talking to Briscoe. Sato's future with the team still uncertain.

HVM are switching to Honda power, presumably keeping De Silvestro.

This is real conjecture, but don't count out Conway for a return next year. Curt Cavin wasn't at all dismissive of the "one driver for road courses, one driver for ovals" idea in his blog yesterday, agreeing that Ed Carpenter might have someone take his seat for road courses only, perhaps 2014, and adding "I think we’ll start to see more of that in the future".

Edited by Risil, 21 September 2012 - 09:40.

#8 Peat

Peat

• 8,865 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:48

I think Ed would benefit from running a second car, but splitting that Road/Oval.

I think having a decent road racer as a teammate would help alot. His performance (pre-crash) at Balitmore was encouraging.

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,792 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:06

Here's a provisional calendar, with rumoureds in italics and confirmeds in regular. I make no distinction between different levels of rumoured, so double-headers and Pocono aren't listed as definite even though they're a hell of a lot more likely than NOLA or Fort Lauderdale. Or Edmonton, for that matter. Order is based on a mix of rumoured dates and the 2012 schedule. Main sticking point for Fontana appears to be whether it's the season finale or not. Let's hope it is, although obviously there's no guarantee there'll still be a championship fight alive come October 2013. No dates, because I think it's reckless to try and induce people to make racegoing plans before the definitive calendar is released by Indycar. That said, the Indy 500 will definitely be scheduled for the last weekend of May.

Counting both parts of the double-headers as individual races, a look at the confirmeds and likelys brings us to 18 or 19 races, which is Randy Bernard's stated aim for the 2013 schedule. For God's sake, do the right thing and bring back Road America.

NOLA, Louisiana?
Fort Lauderdale?
St Pete
Barber Motorsports Park
Long Beach
Sao Paulo?
Indianapolis 500
Belle Isle, Detroit [with possible layout alterations]
Belle Isle double-header?
Texas Motor Speedway
Milwaukee Mile
Iowa Speedway
Pocono Raceway?
Exhibition Place, Toronto?
Edmonton? Nope: 22/9/2012
Mid-Ohio?
Providence, Rhode Island?
Sears Point
Sears Point double-header?
Baltimore?
Kentucky?
Reliant Park, Houston
Auto Club Speedway?

There's also been rumours of street races at Palm Springs and Chicago, but I haven't heard anything about those for a while. Edmonton's promoter is in a dispute about money with the city authorities, Mid-Ohio's contract appears subject to track changes, which owner Kim Green is ready to put in place. Michael Andretti hopes Baltimore will return but I think it'll be hard to convince the city to put on a third race.

NOLA might be more likely for 2014, again, it's dependent on track changes. We'll also have to wait for 2014 for an early-season Phoenix race (late February has been suggested), providing an oval event before the big one at Indianapolis.

Haven't read anything about the Fort Lauderdale street race since late May, but I left it on there partly as a tribute to Fort Lauderdale homeboy Ryan Hunter-Reay.

The Providence circuit will apparently be located next to Brown University. They should really do something about notable Brownite and all-around racing hero Mark Donohue, if/when they get there.

Edited by Risil, 25 September 2012 - 14:02.

#10 Peat

Peat

• 8,865 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:11

sorry, NOLA?

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,792 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:27

Panther/DRR have confirmed JR Hildebrand for 2013. Oriol Servia is not yet signed, Robin Miller's suggested that like Justin Wilson he's a wanderin' free agent for next year.

Tagliani's got to be considered the favourite for a Bryan Herta drive next season. Lot of rumours going around about the single-car operations expanding or combining with each other.

Dale Coyne's plans for his race-winning squad are unknown. The key to their success next year might lie as much in keeping crew chief Bill Pappas onboard, as signing back up his star driver Justin Wilson.

#12 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,792 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:31

sorry, NOLA?

http://www.nolamotor.com/

Stands for New Orleans, Louisiana, apparently it's a usual shorthand round there. Randy wants a February race, but it's dependent on the track being up to Indycar standard. If you want to check the track out for yourself, you could do worse than find a way to watch the AMA Superbike finale, which is being held there on 7th-8th October.

Edited by Risil, 21 September 2012 - 10:32.

#13 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,069 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:15

can they start modifying bodywork next year? I want them to get rid of the stupid side pods

#14 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:40

Even if they allow aero tweaks, that style around the rear wheels isn't going away.

#15 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:44

can they start modifying bodywork next year? I want them to get rid of the stupid side pods

You're not used to them? :well:

What can we say, they didn't want to make a CART/Champcar - so they didn't. All it would have taken is an "8" in the box marked maximum number of cylinders and a "lola" in the box marked chassis supplier... oh well, it's the land of the free.

#16 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,792 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:03

Even if they allow aero tweaks, that style around the rear wheels isn't going away.

What's their current rationale for the flared sidepods? Is it to do with maximum sponsor exposure (like the vestigial "airbox"), or a technical thing to do with the aero of the rear fenders?

I have to say I've stopped noticing them now, and at least they look distinctive. Every single-seater spec car looking exactly the same is not a good thing. However, I'm pretty sure that everyone without a full season of watching the DW12s behind them will still think, Ew they look weird.

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:45

Safety primarily, but it does add a few square inches of sponsor space, which is always a good thing.

#18 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:51

What are you expections about the IndyCar field for 2013?

At least one diabetic will be employed...

#19 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,792 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:59

Safety primarily, but it does add a few square inches of sponsor space, which is always a good thing.

I hadn't really considered the safety aspect of the DW12's sidepods. I assume it's to do with having better deformable structure/energy absorption than a conventional design?

Advertisement

#20 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:09

I hadn't really considered the safety aspect of the DW12's sidepods. I assume it's to do with having better deformable structure/energy absorption than a conventional design?

My understanding is that the flares themselves are just a filmsy piece of bodywork? The bits behind the wheels were crash structures I think.

#21 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:26

It's for incidental wheel-to-wheel contact, it's not going to survive a proper collission.

#22 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,161 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 13:37

What are the odds on Allmendinger making the switch back to open-wheel racing?

#23 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:00

What are the odds on Allmendinger making the switch back to open-wheel racing?

Considering his Nascar failed drug test pretty big I guess.

#24 bonneville

bonneville

• 382 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:07

Considering his Nascar failed drug test pretty big I guess.

Considering he was reinstated by Nascar this week, a return to Indycar or Nascar is a near certainty.

He just got a long interview on Nascar.com: http://www.nascar.co...ward-to-future/

Even though he attended the IndyCar Series season finale at Auto Club Speedway in California last Saturday night as the guest of Roger Penske, his former NASCAR boss who also runs cars on the IndyCar side, Allmendinger stressed that he hopes he can eventually return to [Nascar].

(...)

Penske told The Associated Press at Auto Club Speedway that he might consider putting Allmendinger in one of his IndyCar Series machines.

"He could be an option for us, for sure," Penske told the AP. "He's someone we would consider. This is a speed bump in his career, but he's certainly an option for people on the NASCAR side and the Indy side."

Edited by bonneville, 21 September 2012 - 15:10.

#25 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:22

(Figuerdo?)

I'd think there are too many other Brazilian drivers overshadowing her for Bia to get enough sponsorship.

Schmidt Hamilton:

Pagenaud
Barrichello

Is that confirmed now?

RLL

(Sato?)

Sato's been wrecking cars left and right, often wasting good runs into the top 5. I'm not sure Rahal is getting enough money to fix all those broken chassis :lol:

HVM

di Silvestro

Why is she re-signing with these losers? :confused: I thought the last 3 years were damaging enough to her racing reputation. Does Simona want to become a perpetual backmarker?

#26 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:48

HVM are ditching Lotus.

#27 gd2

gd2

• 151 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:53

Let's hope hope one of these teams has some sense and hires Adam Carroll. He's blitzed most of the driver's in Indycar in other Formulas and win's in every series he enters, maybe a name for Coloni!

#28 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:41

HVM are ditching Lotus.

It wasn't much better when they ran a proper engine. 2010: two top 10s. 2011: one top 5, two top 10s. Pagenaud was 15th with their equipment at Sonoma. de Silvestro has gone backwards in the points standings each year.

#29 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:51

Then maybe Simona was the problem, because HVM have done better in the past. And with the new formula I don't think old results transfer.

#30 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 19:47

And with the new formula I don't think old results transfer.

With a one car team it's hard to be sure. If she'd had an experienced driver alongside her there'd be a good benchmark for comparison, not to mention someone she can learn from.

#31 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 19:58

I'm hoping to see Allmendinger in this series next season.

#32 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 00:58

HVM are ditching Lotus.

Is that the end of Judd Lotus in Indycar then?

#33 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:17

Edmonton race is no more.

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...ctane-2013.html

#34 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:25

Wuh...

Who gave whom 5.5mil for an Indycar race?

#35 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:40

I'm also hoping to see Allmendinger back in IndyCars next year.

And I'm also hoping Bourdais gets in a top car where he would be an instant contender for the championship.

#36 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:01

Wuh...

Rosen says the city had a $5.5 million contract to promote the race from 2010-2013, but Octane withdrew after two years due to a lack of attendance and trouble finding sponsorship for the event.

I don't think $5.5mil actually changed hands, the figure is for 3 years which amounts to $1.83 mil-a-year which is in the ballpark of what was reported in annual cost for the city.

The inability to find a title sponsor is what angers me most.. all the time I see aussies moaning about the thriving V8s, while here in Canada, which is a comparable country in terms of population and economy, our businesses contribute zero zilch nada to motorsports in comparison.

#37 j madra

j madra

• 118 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:11

Wuh...

In 2010, Edmonton City Council agreed to provide $5.5 million in sponsorship for the race over three years (2011-2013).

#38 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,824 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:14

Oh, and while I'm at it can someone shake Montoya and tell him he'd be winning races in Indycar for Team Target instead of battling for 20th every week?

#39 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:17

Oh, and while I'm at it can someone shake Montoya and tell him he'd be winning races in Indycar for Team Target instead of battling for 20th every week?

He might need some Hawaiian Tropic sponsorship and a shoehorn, but I'll pass on the regards yes. :p

Advertisement

#40 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 1,023 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:22

I have a couple question for the group,

Was Legge's performance at Fontana aided by her and Bourdais splitting time in the car , thereby giving the crew a chance to see actually progress within the team as the season went on?Which ended up helping each of the driver's on the racetracks that were their strengths?

If the above scenario is true , would it not be better for Carpenter to run Conway on the road courses while he (Ed) focuses on the the ovals in the same car ? Would this not give this one car (and it's designated owner ) a better chance to finish higher up in the yearly points totals as well?
And if Ed wants to he could run a 2nd car for himself at some of the road courses using a different number.

Paul

#41 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:39

Re demise of Edmonton Indy... the Edmonton Journal also had this interesting paragraph in their article:

"In announcing the demise of the Edmonton race, Octane said had filed a “Notice of Intention to Make a Proposal” as an insolvent person at the Superior Court of Quebec in Montreal."

Being neither a lawyer nor an accountant, I do not fully understand the import of this action. Can anyone add clarity? Thx.

#42 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:38

Filing for bankruptcy. Shame, as the track and racing were good this year :(

If the above scenario is true , would it not be better for Carpenter to run Conway on the road courses while he (Ed) focuses on the the ovals in the same car ? Would this not give this one car (and it's designated owner ) a better chance to finish higher up in the yearly points totals as well? And if Ed wants to he could run a 2nd car for himself at some of the road courses using a different number.

Points are awarded to the driver not the car in this series.

Was Legge's performance at Fontana aided by her and Bourdais splitting time in the car , thereby giving the crew a chance to see actually progress within the team as the season went on?Which ended up helping each of the driver's on the racetracks that were their strengths?

Getting some testing obviously helped a lot. Bourdais wasn't doing that much better than Legge until Dragon actually had some testing laps.

Edited by Prost1997T, 22 September 2012 - 10:41.

#43 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,400 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:07

I think Legge has a natural affinity for ovals, in her only CART race on an oval she led for, IIRC, 30 laps; in this last race she had no problem staying with the first group of 5 up until the first pit-stop - Basically she needs more time in the car.

#44 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,080 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:01

Let's hope hope one of these teams has some sense and hires Adam Carroll. He's blitzed most of the driver's in Indycar in other Formulas and win's in every series he enters, maybe a name for Coloni!

True but if Coloni comes to IndyCar they will almost certainly contract Luca Filippi and pair him up with who-ever comes up with lots of money as a 2nd driver.

#45 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:24

I think Coloni and Filippi are non-starters. Unless Coloni end up being the foundation for the Viso team of Idiocy.

#46 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 247 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:57

Any i missed?

Ganassi:
Franchitti
Dixon
Kimball
(Briscoe/Rojas?)

Memo Rojas seeks to reach Indy Car

#47 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 1,799 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:34

I would love to see Bourdais in a better car but I think he will still be at Dragon next year

What are the chances to see Vautier in Indy? He won Star Mazda in 2011 and Indy Light in 2012 beating Guerrieri and Saavedra

Edited by Yhamm, 22 September 2012 - 16:36.

#48 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:33

What are the chances to see Vautier in Indy? He won Star Mazda in 2011 and Indy Light in 2012 beating Guerrieri and Saavedra

He has the $1 million prize money which will help, but I haven't heard of any teams taking interest in him yet.

#49 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:49

Can he use that in any form? Because that'd buy him a really good seat for the 500.

#50 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:38

Can he use that in any form? Because that'd buy him a really good seat for the 500.

http://www.indycar.c...o-championships

He wanted to win the championship before talking to Indycar teams, I don't know if that's hurt his chances.

Seems Allmendinger is a possibility for 2013 as well:

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102645