Fix your forum.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:25

The error returned was:

Sorry, the server is too busy to handle your request, please try again in a moment

It lags. It's slow. Its bones are creaking under the load generated by YOUR community and you should APPRECIATE it or STAHP it. Not nice.

Advertisement

#2 kar

kar

• 10,434 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:51

The error returned was:

Sorry, the server is too busy to handle your request, please try again in a moment

It lags. It's slow. Its bones are creaking under the load generated by YOUR community and you should APPRECIATE it or STAHP it. Not nice.

Are you an autosport subscriber by any chance?

#3 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:36

No sir, I am not.

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,751 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:51

I am and I approve of that message.

#5 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 16:06

I am and seconded.

#6 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:05

There's a thread on the problem 'server too busy' only a few topics below this.

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=163431

I think a few of us have given up commenting on when we get the 'server too busy' message as it's so common and is apparently of no concern to those who it should matter to.

#7 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:56

There's a thread on the problem 'server too busy' only a few topics below this.

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=163431

I think a few of us have given up commenting on when we get the 'server too busy' message as it's so common and is apparently of no concern to those who it should matter to.

Yes I know that. That's why I've promised "them who it should matter to" to open a new thread each time whenever it rears its ugly head :well:

#8 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,495 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:34

I am and seconded.

Heh heh heh. Me three.

Would also like to put it here that Autosport.com is under no obligation whatever to keep this forum running, however much of a loss it would be to us if they pulled the plug. So Civil Disobedience and spamming the Website Feedback forum with new threads maybe isn't the smartest strategy.

Edited by Risil, 24 September 2012 - 11:46.

#9 Grayson

Grayson
  • Autosport digital product manager

• 3,497 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:41

We're aware of the situation, and I hope it goes without saying that it's not the case that we don't care!

We've had a phenomenal number of people coming to the forum after the qualifying and race sessions of each F1 weekend this season and the surge of traffic immediately after these sessions has, on occasion, been too much for our servers to cope with.

As the interest has increased throughout this season, we have been running just to stay still to a certain extent. We have made some changes, such as closing active threads with over 4,000 posts in and making database changes behind the scenes. These changes have made things better, and that's why you're not seeing the forums crash completely after a race like sometimes happened in the Spring, even though the traffic levels have been even higher.

Our developers are working on improving the situation further, but if there's a particularly controversial moment towards the end of a Grand Prix (or one of the most opinion-dividing drivers is given some sort of penalty) then our servers will struggle.

#10 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:54

Heh heh heh. Me three.

Would also like to put it here that Autosport.com is under no obligation whatever to keep this forum running, however much of a loss it would be to us if they pulled the plug. So Civil Disobedience and spamming the Website Feedback forum with new threads maybe isn't the smartest strategy.

To be honest, I didn't plan to do it until I got an answer and it looks like we got it. That's good news. Before Autosport.com didn't even bother to.

We're aware of the situation, and I hope it goes without saying that it's not the case that we don't care!

We've had a phenomenal number of people coming to the forum after the qualifying and race sessions of each F1 weekend this season and the surge of traffic immediately after these sessions has, on occasion, been too much for our servers to cope with.

As the interest has increased throughout this season, we have been running just to stay still to a certain extent. We have made some changes, such as closing active threads with over 4,000 posts in and making database changes behind the scenes. These changes have made things better, and that's why you're not seeing the forums crash completely after a race like sometimes happened in the Spring, even though the traffic levels have been even higher.

Our developers are working on improving the situation further, but if there's a particularly controversial moment towards the end of a Grand Prix (or one of the most opinion-dividing drivers is given some sort of penalty) then our servers will struggle.

That's cool, with responding AS deserves a vote of confidence imho. I hope you can improve further but you might want to realize that there is a point where optimization is not enough anymore. Just a tip.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,495 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:56

I appreciate the forum software seeing a Michael Andretti/Mclaren thread and breaking it as a precaution, but there's a strange IPS driver error apparently involving that thread alone. It only displays the first four posts and crashes when I hit "Add Reply" or try to access its post index. I've never seen something like this before. Thanks. :)

Edited by Risil, 13 November 2012 - 23:01.