Photo

Crystal Palace, forty years on

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:50

Can you hang some flesh on that bone, thirty-two, because I have no memory of that event at all and I didn't miss many F.2 races at the Palace?

Silvio Moser won the first heat in 1971. Jackie Stewart wasn't there.

http://formula2.net/F271_9.htm

Advertisement

#52 small block

small block

• 22 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:32

Scheckter's McLaren M21 was sponsored in 1972 by the Impact Group, which (from my quite possibly faulty memory) owned a number of garages in London.

#53 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,856 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:42

Thanks, Alan. I was a bit busy with something else in 1971...... :)

#54 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:01

Thanks, Alan. I was a bit busy with something else in 1971...... :)

Wholesale funeral supply where you had access to a telephone ?

#55 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,856 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:12

No, I didn't work there at the weekends. I'd have been occupied some miles further east.

#56 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 14:20

No, I didn't work there at the weekends. I'd have been occupied some miles further east.

Gainfully employed making fibreglass bodywork then :up:

#57 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,038 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 15:15

Scheckter's McLaren M21 was sponsored in 1972 by the Impact Group, which (from my quite possibly faulty memory) owned a number of garages in London.

You're right Block. The July 1972 Motor Sport shows Jody standing alongside the lovely McLaren M21, at an equally delightful garage '..on the A4 in London'. (the car) '..is now being sponsored by Imapct B.S.Holdings Ltd.. Impact are a growing company with varying interests centred around the garage industry.'

If this is the same Impact (once of Ealing) then they're still going. Wonder if Jody tried a refresher course at the driving school in the summer of 1973.

http://www.impactgro...uk/History.aspx

#58 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 442 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:51

You're right Block. The July 1972 Motor Sport shows Jody standing alongside the lovely McLaren M21, at an equally delightful garage '..on the A4 in London'. (the car) '..is now being sponsored by Imapct B.S.Holdings Ltd.. Impact are a growing company with varying interests centred around the garage industry.'

If this is the same Impact (once of Ealing) then they're still going. Wonder if Jody tried a refresher course at the driving school in the summer of 1973.

http://www.impactgro...uk/History.aspx

If I recall correctly, the 'Impact' logos on Scheckter's car were large but plain & gave no other indication about the nature of the company. I did not even link it to the Impact School of Motoring around Ealing, where I was based.
Perhaps not the best use of sponsorship potential. As a rule of thumb, you have to spend at least the same again as you spend on a racing car to have any 'impact'.

#59 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 16:22

http://www.speedhunt...crystal-palace/

A few more photos of the track as it is now.

Advertisement

#60 nikbj68

nikbj68

• 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:44

... A driver who i cant remember even though he came from PB area with a red Cobra, sounded impressive being revved up in a High St garage had a big fight with Gabriel Konig in a Britten Midget until he stuffed it into the wall, what was the history of the Cobra and what happened to it afterwards?...

Sorry to be so late to this thread!
Pete53 is correct, the Cobra was my Dad, Gerry Bagshaw`s.

Posted Image
(click pic for an older thread about the Cobra)

At the time he ran Brays, the newsagents in Potters Bar. There was a policeman who came to complain about him revving the Cobra... because he wasn`t there at the time! He demanded no further revving would be carried out unless he was present!
The Cobra was 39PH, the 1963 AC Factory Le Mans entry(when it was metallic green, with standard bodywork), which went on to become the Willment Cobra raced mainly by Jack Sears.
Dad bought it in `67 and competed regularly until Crystal Palace.

Posted Image
(Aaaaaarrgghhhhhhh!!!! The sleepers beckon!!!!)

Sadly, that was to be his last race, but the Cobra was repaired, and sold in `73. Nigel Hulme had her for 30 years, which was the best thing that could happen to a Cobra! Then followed the Minshaws, Nigel Corner, and now she`s owned by Lord Vestey, and I last saw her at Goodwood leading out the Cobras in the Shelby Cup race with the 1964 AC Coupé, in the capable hands of Jack Sears once again.

Posted Image

Edited by nikbj68, 07 June 2013 - 11:53.

#61 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,856 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 14:40

I wonder if this is the first one of these ever to run at The Palace:

Posted Image

It was listed as a Chaparral but by pure coincidence, I learned the very next day that it was built by our very own RJE who advised the owner that he shouldn't really call it a Chaparral. However.....