* * * * - 7 votes

IndyCar for 2013, it's official.

• Please log in to reply
1561 replies to this topic

#501 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 16:08

Marshall Pruett must read these forums...

:rotfl: I haven't heard that reference anywhere but here.

Really? It's a pretty commonly used (and well deserved) describtion of her, you can see it on a lot of places.

Advertisement

#502 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,150 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 00:56

What? I thought Salt was the one perennially in jail?

Ah, thought it was as much about the nepotism as the jailbird-ism. Never mind, I have a cold :wave:

Aside from a DUI, his crimes were ones self-inflicting rather than inflicting on others (well, child support could go on the other side of the ledger)...but, it wasn't like he was a rapist, batterer or committed other violent crimes.

He didn't even sell parts that didn't belong to him or run a stolen car ring ;)

#503 aportinga

aportinga

• 7,793 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 17:30

Ah, thought it was as much about the nepotism as the jailbird-ism. Never mind, I have a cold :wave:

Aside from a DUI, his crimes were ones self-inflicting rather than inflicting on others (well, child support could go on the other side of the ledger)...but, it wasn't like he was a rapist, batterer or committed other violent crimes.

Okay - I would really like a thread on stories of this nature.

I have heard about drug smuggling financing CART teams and more.

Wonder if that's happened in other series - and I wonder if it's worth it's own thread?

#504 Risil

Risil

• 13,620 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 17:39

I have heard about drug smuggling financing CART teams and more.

Wonder if that's happened in other series - and I wonder if it's worth it's own thread?

TNF's got at least one. Vic Lee, the Whittington bros, Buford and Randy Lanier all feature. Lanier's Wikipedia page says that he devotes much of his time in his life-without-parole sentence answering letters from race fans. Which I suppose sort of makes a prison version of Randy Bernard.

Edited by Risil, 31 December 2012 - 17:39.

#505 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 767 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:26

Sometimes i wonder if that crash and the immediate treatment Salt got for his injuries were even worse than the injuries he incuring in the actual crash. Based on rumors i'm heearing his addictions to painkillers started during the treatment process and since i known folks who get into those kinds of situtations it doesnt take much to spiral you entire life out of control.

Combined with the apparent fact he had something of an "addictive"personality to begin with ,made his post career life all the more understood when it went off the rails.

To me he showed some potential initially but that 1973 crash just destroyed his ability to have a career that in time ended up being defined by his 1973 Indy 500 crash no matter how well he ran on other races in other series.

Kinda of a tough row to hoe thru life when you think about it.

#506 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,150 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:19

I have heard about drug smuggling financing CART IMSA teams and more.

Fixed that for ya.

There's a good thread on some racing criminals over on The Nostalgia Forum.

And, oh yeah...it's happened. A lot of rumor and conjecture, but there be truth in it too.

Look up Kelly Petillo sometime. Though I guarantee his rap sheet was lengthier than listed.

#507 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,150 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:20

TNF's got at least one. Vic Lee, the Whittington bros, Buford and Randy Lanier all feature. Lanier's Wikipedia page says that he devotes much of his time in his life-without-parole sentence answering letters from race fans. Which I suppose sort of makes a prison version of Randy Bernard.

That sir, was EPIC! :D :up:

#508 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 00:00

Fantastic news for those who thought that Rubens completely gave up racing outside Brazil - he's pairing up with Kanaan to do Daytona 24h with 911 cup car!
http://auto-racing.s...p-for-rolex-24/

Hopefully the first of many sportscar outings.

Edited by SonnyViceR, 03 January 2013 - 00:00.

#509 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,078 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:04

After leaving Ferrari he should have went that route. Or touring cars, instead of running the last 6 years with bad teams (albeit the year as Brawn GP) and poor results.

#510 loki

loki

• 1,985 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:19

After leaving Ferrari he should have went that route. Or touring cars, instead of running the last 6 years with bad teams (albeit the year as Brawn GP) and poor results.

This... :up:

I would have liked to see him continue in Indycar but with the flux in the series and the availability (make that non availability...) of seats it's going to be nice to see him in sports cars, if only on a limited basis.

#511 teejay

teejay

• 3,632 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:03

Ask him his preference - he would have taken a HRT seat before an Indy seat before a sports car seat.

#512 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:20

Allen McDonald, Andretti Technical Director, returning To Schmidt - from Speedtv:

http://auto-racing.s...ning-to-schmidt

#513 Risil

Risil

• 13,620 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:04

Bryan Herta Autosport signs up Barracuda Networks for another year

Herta:

In 2012 we achieved many milestones together, and we plan to build on those successes on and off the track together. Barracuda is well known for their performance, reliability, and quality and we are proud to represent the brand for a second year in the IZOD IndyCar Series.

Alex Tagliani shares almost all of these characteristics, so he'll be a good fit for the #98 car.

#514 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,161 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:23

Just a note for UK readers - as of writing, Sky Sports have not announced anything regarding the IndyCar Series for 2013. :(

#515 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,714 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 20:36

Just a note for UK readers - as of writing, Sky Sports have not announced anything regarding the IndyCar Series for 2013. :(

Keith Huewen responded to somebody on Twitter this week that he had no news yet but had heard the rumours. Didn't quite get what that referred to but one assumes it suggests Sky have dropped Indycar. No reason for them to announce it, so we may have to eventually draw our own conclusions.

#516 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,078 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 21:15

Bryan Herta Autosport signs up Barracuda Networks for another year

Herta:

Alex Tagliani shares almost all of these characteristics, so he'll be a good fit for the #98 car.

Tag's isn't a particularly good driver, but gives what is still a new team, he's the best fit of the current grid.

Grid looks to be down from the last few years as well. About 22 full time entries which is a big bummer. And we're still waiting for Sato's announcement at Foyt (if the rumor is true). But saying the grid is smaller is not a bad thing actually. Viso looks to be out. While he's gotten better in terms of not crashing, he's not put up the results. Penske also cut a seat for Briscoe (bad call IMO. Should have let Helio go in that group).

Still not sure about Dale Coyne either. Might wait until the last minute to bring in a funded driver for St. Petersburg for the second seat next to Wilson, or just go the way or Panther and Rahal and run only a single car.

Is Dragon splitting their seat again? Bourdais has a decent package there, and should be a bit more of a front runner on the road and streets.

Wow... sounded a bit negative. But then again, aren't most IndyCar fans a bit pessimistic?

#517 Risil

Risil

• 13,620 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 22:07

Bourdais's a full-timer for the first season since 2007. Tags is a wild ass with a hand against every man, sure, but he's fabulously quick.

I sympathise with you about Castroneves, but he's got another Indy 500 victory in him. Don't forget that Penske offered Hunter-Reay a ride for 2013 -- I assume this means Penske wants either the right third driver or no third driver.

22 full-time entries is lower than it's been for a while, but I reckon I'm legit excited about 16 of them for 2013. A lot of talent and a lot of interesting stories there.

Wow... sounded a bit negative. But then again, aren't most IndyCar fans a bit pessimistic?

I don't enjoy the happyfest and earnest appreciation that the more successful racing series try to encourage. Real sport is about misery.

Edited by Risil, 09 January 2013 - 22:08.

#518 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,177 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 22:36

Sad News for Jp today as a great guy from the Players Forsythe/Team Green days has passed away.

Phil LePan was instrumental in convincing Steve Challis to engineer Greg Moore's car.
He had a racing brain second to none.
On the night of Greg's win at the opening round of the 1999 season Phil was seen dancing on a $35,000 marble table at Lenny Kravitz house in Miami. I looked at him, soaking up the victory, and thought...'There is NO WAY I am telling him to get off that table.'

Jp

#519 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 22:36

Viso looks to be out. While he's gotten better in terms of not crashing, he's not put up the results.

Regarding Viso, from 2) days ago on speedtv:

http://auto-racing.s...-his-2013-plans

Also - Veteran Team Manager Phil LePan passes away:

http://auto-racing.s...an-passes-away/

I see Jon beat me to the sad news regarding Phil LePan

Edited by B Squared, 09 January 2013 - 22:38.

Advertisement

#520 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,078 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:50

Any news on whether there will be road circuits with standings starts in Indy Lights? I know they want to try and run one race of the double headers, but I would think if they are moving that direction, and Barfield was involved in the standings starts in Champ Car and Atlantics, a trickle down of procedure would follow.

#521 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 2,416 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:41

How frustrating. Hopefully they'll confirm it soon, or Eurosport pick it up. I'd be gutted to not see the races this season.

#522 stewie

stewie

• 429 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:56

Would it be the sort of thing MotorsTV would pick up?

Hope someone does show it, as I got right into it last year!

#523 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,598 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:57

Sky will show it I'm sure.

#524 Imperial

Imperial

• 2,714 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 13:49

Would it be the sort of thing MotorsTV would pick up?

Hope someone does show it, as I got right into it last year!

There's no reason why not, even financially I would imagine. I'm fairly certain casting my mind back in time that they showed CART live for at least full season.

No HD version of Motors available of course, and they are becoming increasingly infamous for their extremely poor picture quality. Some of their content is clearly being delivered to them via an internet connection, rather than satellite links.

#525 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:05

No HD version of Motors available of course, and they are becoming increasingly infamous for their extremely poor picture quality. Some of their content is clearly being delivered to them via an internet connection, rather than satellite links.

Not to mention the often incorrect aspect ratios, signal breaks and other weird things... and who could forget the review shows that have been edited either by drunk adults, or drunk 5-year olds.

But, despte this, Motors currently has the best selection of motorsport programming in Europe. It looked a bit darker few years ago when they canned most of their oversea series because of... money I gues, but they have regained control again. For the most part.

#526 Peat

Peat

• 1,216 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:10

The way i understand it, Motors will air anything they get paid to air.

I would imagine Sky will have it again, don't forget they didn't confirm IndyCar in 2012 until a few days before St.Pete.

The viewing figures quoted in this article are pretty worrying though: http://f1broadcastin...casting-rights/

#527 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 14:32

The way i understand it, Motors will air anything they get paid to air.[/url]

Really, I have read reports saying otherwise. And for example with Super GT, Marc Cole once said that they had to drop the series because of budget issues.

#528 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,444 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 16:45

The way i understand it, Motors will air anything they get paid to air.

I would imagine Sky will have it again, don't forget they didn't confirm IndyCar in 2012 until a few days before St.Pete.

The viewing figures quoted in this article are pretty worrying though: http://f1broadcastin...casting-rights/

It would help if Sky actually told anybody that they were showing the series!

The quality of Motors TV must have Logie Baird spinning in his grave - In these days of HD TV, it is sub 405 line TV in the worst days of Never the same color twice... Ater a morning of watching their output I went to SpecSavers to check that my eyes hadn't gone out of focus!

Edited by Bloggsworth, 10 January 2013 - 16:47.

#529 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,177 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 17:18

it's twue... it's twue...unbeweavabwy bad.

If however, as they do with their airing of the Nationwide broadcast, they choose to leave out the commercial interruptions I'd be ok with blocky vision. As to the issue of the crackheads @16th&Georgetown actually forking out money for a European airtime buy?...
I think you'd sooner see them going to Menards to re-equip the board room with another a barrel of that sniffin' glue.

Jp

#530 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 19:07

In the past they used to have UK announcer during the US ad breaks... usually just mr Cole talking some useless but harmless nonsense no-one cared about, but sometimes the devil himself -aka Carlton Kirby- with his horrific sidekicks would step in Posted Image

But it's funny when they sometimes forget to turn off the audio feeds from the US comms booths and you can hear them blabbering about random things

Edited by SonnyViceR, 10 January 2013 - 19:08.

#531 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,769 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 19:09

Sato to Foyt in the #14 car.

#532 Xpat

Xpat

• 3,837 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:44

No Danica at the 500.

http://www.indystar....n-2013-Indy-500

#533 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,038 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 22:59

I, however, am still trying.

#534 teejay

teejay

• 3,632 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:19

No Danica at the 500.

So good news Friday it is!

#535 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:03

After losing technical director Allen McDonald last week, Andretti Autosport engineer, Tino Belli, joins Panther:

http://auto-racing.s...ith-tino-belli/

#536 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,177 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 13:14

No Danica at the 500.

That'll take a certain shine off things..
Jp

#537 teejay

teejay

• 3,632 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 15:44

Sato confirmed!

#538 Risil

Risil

• 13,620 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 17:14

Penske and Dale Coyne have applied for Leaders Circle money (22 packages usually given to the top-22 in points, though any unused spots are allocated at the series's discretion) for their phantom third and second entries respectively. So presumably they're still looking around for funding/drivers -- unlike Ganassi and KV, who aren't looking for money to continue their #38 and #8 programmes respectively. Because otherwise why would they turn down the entitlements they earned from 10th and 12th place championship finishes.

#539 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,078 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:15

I like that Ganassi and KV are not. That gives teams like Dragon and an new teams (or team's adding cars) a better chance at a competitive program.

Bit odd about the Penske deal though. Wasn't expecting that, unless they are planning on bringing Briscoe back. DCR though is no surprised though, before they brought in Jakes a few years back, they were always waiting until the 11th hour to finalize deals for that seat.

Advertisement

#540 Risil

Risil

• 13,620 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 19:32

We know that Penske offered Hunter-Reay a deal for 2013 before he signed back up with Andretti. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to hear that Penske's working on a deal with someone but has kept all the details away from the press. No idea who it might be though. Penske haven't taken anyone directly from Lights, Atlantics or Europe since the 90s.

Edited by Risil, 14 January 2013 - 20:26.

#541 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,155 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:27

Golden anniversary gift: Parnelli Jones gets 'Baby Borg':

http://www.indycar.c...eives-Baby-Borg

Not exactly 2013 racing season news, but a great gesture to Parnelli initiated by Rick Mears and Dario Franchitti - well done.

#542 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 22:41

When Marshall Pruett, the most (over) enthuastic IndyCar journalist I know says that there is absolutely NOTHING GOING ON in the series right now, you've gotta believe it... not even bad press from the organizers has came out since that Randy fiasco which is unusual. There's just nothing to talk about.

And six month winter break, brilliant ideas these. I'm really only looking forward to LB and Indy anyway but c'mon

#543 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,078 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 23:37

Not much in the way of a silly season. No word about the aero kits, for 2013 or 2014. And the biggest news is Sato got a seat with the worst team in the series. Foyt? Come on, that is pathetic. He'll regret this decision when he does from really good middle pack teams in KVRT and RLL.

I never got the IRL/IndyCar's idea of keeping the season finale in the end of September. If you want to be taken seriously as a series in terms of a schedule, don't finish a month and a half before the rest of the major series in motorsport.

#544 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 200 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:55

Spare Parts Price Saga Brought To A Conclusion

#545 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 200 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:07

Andretti reveals possibility of entering fourth car for Bia throughout the 2013 season Indy [translated]

#546 djparky

djparky

• 165 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:55

How frustrating. Hopefully they'll confirm it soon, or Eurosport pick it up. I'd be gutted to not see the races this season.

preferably not Eurosport- they're scheduling is a joke- numerous times they messed up the CART TV coverage to show under 25's tiddly-winks

#547 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,884 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 13:24

Not much in the way of a silly season. No word about the aero kits, for 2013 or 2014. And the biggest news is Sato got a seat with the worst team in the series. Foyt? Come on, that is pathetic. He'll regret this decision when he does from really good middle pack teams in KVRT and RLL.

I never got the IRL/IndyCar's idea of keeping the season finale in the end of September. If you want to be taken seriously as a series in terms of a schedule, don't finish a month and a half before the rest of the major series in motorsport.

Why did he end up with Foyt? Lack of cash?

#548 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 13:27

preferably not Eurosport- they're scheduling is a joke- numerous times they messed up the CART TV coverage to show under 25's tiddly-winks

Eurosport stopped caring about American motorsports years ago.

Edited by SonnyViceR, 18 January 2013 - 13:27.

#549 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,078 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 13:57

I think nobody really wanted him. He might fund an entire season very well, but when you tear up equipment, even having the money to fix it isn't enough for a team to want you. I think if he was bringing in the results that some expected (based on his F1 successes), he'd wouldn't need to exactly buy a ride in the manor he is.

#550 Fulcrum

Fulcrum

• 200 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 14:14

Lack of cash and lack of talent ;)