Photo

Darren Heath's blog on Michael Schumacher post-Singapore 2012 [split]

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#101 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,033 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:32

What does a post like that says about you?

That I'm a godlike genius desperately trying to think down to your level.

Schumacher has always been an enormously controversial figure in F1, plenty of which is his own fault and plenty of which is just blatant jealousy or racism (especially from the British media).

Attacking racism by using a racist attack? Terrific.

Advertisement

#102 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:38

In fact it's called nationalism/chauvinism.

#103 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,278 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:48

It doesn't matter whether Schumacher was German or Burmese, a lot of British fans took a dislike to Schumacher for taking Hill out to win the '94 title. Had he possessed Senna's charm and charisma we may have let him off by now. Character goes a long way. Then he did it again to JV. Parking at Monaco was the final nail in the coffin for me to write him off as a flawed character.

#104 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:49

What the hell did I just read? If he wrote this last year or the year before, maybe I could agree to an extent but Schumacher has only had two crashes this year. That's not a good thing, but it's hardly Michael destroying race after race..

And he's saying he only has one pole position since his return... Nico only has one pole position as well? Isn't it telling that Michael's highlights, his podium and pole position, came when the car was fairly competitive. Of course he hasn't achieved much outside of that period. If the car isn't good enough, then what can he do.

I hope he stays on for one final year, coinciding with a good car all year round. That should shut some people up.

I posted this in the Rosberg vs Schumacher thread already, it also seems appropriate here.

Ironic that back in the day Michael Schumacher was lauded as being able to extract 110% from a dog car, now some are using the opposite argument to explain Michael's lack of performance vs Rosberg, almost every comment I read from his faithful fans derides the the car as a POS, so it should follow that this is an advantage for Schumacher relative to Rosberg not a disadvantage . Considering Schumacher's much touted ability to "ring the neck" of a bad car and extract everything it has to offer and more, he should be showing a clean set of heels to Rosberg at all times.
When you add up all the advantages Schumacher had at Ferrari and no longer enjoys at MB it becomes clear that these new circumstances are just to much for the old boy to deal with. No preferential treatment in the team, no tailor made tires, limited testing, no best car in the field, no special help from FIA ... now that Schumacher has to compete fair and square with a top flight driver it is abundantly clear that he was never as good as some might have us believe he was.
As the old saw goes "The older I get the faster I was"

#105 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:54

It doesn't matter whether Schumacher was German or Burmese, a lot of British fans took a dislike to Schumacher for taking Hill out to win the '94 title. Had he possessed Senna's charm and charisma we may have let him off by now. Character goes a long way. Then he did it again to JV. Parking at Monaco was the final nail in the coffin for me to write him off as a flawed character.

Hill took himself out and out of his own stupidity. I can't believe this simple fact got so much twisted through all thos years. If it was true, then this year in Spain it was Hamilton who torpedoed Maldonaldo with the sidepod of his car.

#106 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:59

I posted this in the Rosberg vs Schumacher thread already, it also seems appropriate here.

Ironic that back in the day Michael Schumacher was lauded as being able to extract 110% from a dog car, now some are using the opposite argument to explain Michael's lack of performance vs Rosberg, almost every comment I read from his faithful fans derides the the car as a POS, so it should follow that this is an advantage for Schumacher relative to Rosberg not a disadvantage . Considering Schumacher's much touted ability to "ring the neck" of a bad car and extract everything it has to offer and more, he should be showing a clean set of heels to Rosberg at all times.
When you add up all the advantages Schumacher had at Ferrari and no longer enjoys at MB it becomes clear that these new circumstances are just to much for the old boy to deal with. No preferential treatment in the team, no tailor made tires, limited testing, no best car in the field, no special help from FIA ... now that Schumacher has to compete fair and square with a top flight driver it is abundantly clear that he was never as good as some might have us believe he was.

Reasonable post, however I believe few if any would claim that Rosberg belongs to the category of elite drivers in contemporary F1.

#107 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,033 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:59

In fact it's called nationalism/chauvinism.

According to the EU, and who are we mere peons to challenge the technocracy that has taken charge?, discriminating against someone because of their nationality is racism. Yes, I know that makes less sense than the existence of a career for Dappy From N-Dubz, but we are talking about the EU here. The organization that declared the carrot a fruit.

Hill took himself out and out of his own stupidity. I can't believe this simple fact got so much twisted through all thos years. If it was true, then this year in Spain it was Hamilton who torpedoed Maldonaldo with the sidepod of his car.

Only if Hamilton were returning unsafely to the track with a car that was too damaged to continue. He wasn't so it isn't. If Hill were stupid, it's because he could not believe a driver could be so devoid of any human decency to drive in accordance with the standards that had applied throughout the 100 year history of the sport.

#108 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:02

Nobody here seems to think 9/11 was an inside job... I share his opinion and unfortunately there will always be that doubt.

I think 9/11 was an inside job. It doesn't mean Heath is right about Schumacher.

#109 pRy

pRy

• 10,852 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:02

I hope he stays on for one final year, coinciding with a good car all year round. That should shut some people up.

In some ways I do and in some ways I don't. I don't have huge faith in Mercedes giving him a winning car next year and I only really want to see him remain in F1 if he has a chance of winning. I'm sure he feels the same way. He was never coming back to make up the numbers. He has waited for Mercedes to produce the goods but so far it's very much a "The best is yet to come..." waiting game with no real light at the end of the tunnel.

I kinda wish Hamilton would move to Mercedes and Ron Dennis took a punt on Schumacher and gave him one year in the McLaren. That would be fun.

#110 CSF

CSF

• 51 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:03

Do you really see that today though? I don't see anyone in this current generation of cars taking a car that wasn't near the pace or at the very least consistent on 90% of the tracks to the front. It simply doesn't happen anymore because the field is so close. Back in the 80's and 90's a good driver could flatter the car because the gaps between the teams were so big, a driver could take a car and slot it into a place it shouldn't be. Now in 2012, there isn't even a second between McLaren and Toro Rosso with the simplicity of the regulations.

Take 2008 and 2009 for example. Alonso was basically no where most of the time, and Lewis had a tough time for most of the season in 2009 with a car that was totally off the pace, even going out in Q1 at some Grand Prix. But neither of those cars were qualifying 2+ behind pole, it's was just a sign of the times. Both actually made pretty silly errors in this period too incidentally.

In the current formula with small rear and big front wings, we have seen some pretty random performances. Force India are a perfect example. In 2009, no where most of the season, suddenly the quickest at Spa and Monza. Why? Because in this formulae you seem to have different cars excelling in different conditions. You didn't get that before 2009.

#111 CSF

CSF

• 51 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:04

According to the EU, and who are we mere peons to challenge the technocracy that has taken charge?, discriminating against someone because of their nationality is racism. Yes, I know that makes less sense than the existence of a career for Dappy From N-Dubz, but we are talking about the EU here. The organization that declared the carrot a fruit.

Only if Hamilton were returning unsafely to the track with a car that was too damaged to continue. He wasn't so it isn't. If Hill were stupid, it's because he could not believe a driver could be so devoid of any human decency to drive in accordance with the standards that had applied throughout the 100 year history of the sport.

Damon wasn't watching in 89 or 90 then? :drunk:

#112 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:05

And to think only that today you were accusing someone in word twisting ... or should I say "abusing".

#113 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,033 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:19

Damon wasn't watching in 89 or 90 then? :drunk:

I don't think there was a single person on the planet who approved of Mr Senna's driving standards then. But they had not percolated throughout the sport. Indeed you can compare Prost's block - not only was it half-assed, it didn't work. That old Nazi Balestre had to invent a whole new rule to get around Senna winning the race.

And to think only that today you were accusing someone in word twisting ... or should I say "abusing".

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

#114 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:19

Meanwhile somewhere on a beautiful lake in Switzerland Michael checks: 7 titles still there, many of the records still in the books, couple of hundredth million dollars still in the bank, several million fans the world over still there, beautiful wife and happy kids still there.

Darren who ?????

In 50 years Darren will be completely forgotten while Michael Schumacher will still be revered as one of the greatest racing drivers ever to grace our earth.
Sorry couldn't be bothered to read his ramblings. ;-)

#115 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:27

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

:up:
But you have an unfair advantage, not only English is your language but you have polished your skills for using it. :)

#116 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,033 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:36

Meanwhile somewhere on a beautiful lake in Switzerland Michael checks: 7 titles still there, many of the records still in the books, couple of hundredth million dollars still in the bank, several million fans the world over still there, beautiful wife and happy kids still there.

Darren who ?????

In 5th century BC Athens there was a chap called Kleon. He dominated Athenian politics for a generation. In 425BC, despite not being a military man, he was elected (not appointed) as one of the ten senior generals of the Athenian army. His first-ever military command saw him achieve the impossible - he captured 300 Spartans, the soldiers who always said they would fight to the death, alive. It was Sparta's greatest (and only) humiliation of the period. Kleon himself died a hero three years later in the same battle that saw Sparta's number one also killed.

And what is his reputation?

As the butt of jokes in the plays of Aristophanes.

"History shall vindicate me," said Churchill, "because I shall write it."

#117 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:39

Darren who ?????

In 50 years Darren will be completely forgotten while Michael Schumacher will still be revered as one of the greatest racing drivers ever to grace our earth.
Sorry couldn't be bothered to read his ramblings. ;-)

Reviled, also.

#118 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 837 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:36

Yet another blog post on the Internet, still, 3 pages of discussions, following a proper ignition point and timing :)
I should consider writing contradictory stuff instead of technical issues.

#119 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 968 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:37

He just comes across as a bitter git, he should just take photos, he is better at that.

Advertisement

#120 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:21

Can you show me this tweet? Very interested to hear what he said about that.

He didn't say much, but its pretty clear in what his opinion is.

https://twitter.com/...556630895353856

#121 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:26

No problem. Was a great investigation from him and another guy at F1 Racing. Pity they don't tend to do that now...

Buxton's blog from the previous day was weird too. Not so much on Michael, but dismissing Perez to McLaren because of the Telemex link, and being surprised and confused when someone informed him of the Vodafone pull out and Telemex coming to McLaren. :lol: For someone supposedly on the ball, he was rather off pace with that one.

Darren Heath (Alongside a french journalist) was also responsible for "discovering" Red Bulls flexi wings a couple of years ago. He has a keen eye for things like that.

#122 TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA

• 142 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:36

In 5th century BC Athens there was a chap called Kleon. He dominated Athenian politics for a generation. In 425BC, despite not being a military man, he was elected (not appointed) as one of the ten senior generals of the Athenian army. His first-ever military command saw him achieve the impossible - he captured 300 Spartans, the soldiers who always said they would fight to the death, alive. It was Sparta's greatest (and only) humiliation of the period. Kleon himself died a hero three years later in the same battle that saw Sparta's number one also killed.

Wow, you are trying way too hard.

#123 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 21:47

Aint that the truth...

#124 MarcelBrDirani

MarcelBrDirani

• 116 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 23:32

Do you really see that today though? I don't see anyone in this current generation of cars taking a car that wasn't near the pace or at the very least consistent on 90% of the tracks to the front. It simply doesn't happen anymore because the field is so close. Back in the 80's and 90's a good driver could flatter the car because the gaps between the teams were so big, a driver could take a car and slot it into a place it shouldn't be. Now in 2012, there isn't even a second between McLaren and Toro Rosso with the simplicity of the regulations.

Take 2008 and 2009 for example. Alonso was basically no where most of the time, and Lewis had a tough time for most of the season in 2009 with a car that was totally off the pace, even going out in Q1 at some Grand Prix. But neither of those cars were qualifying 2+ behind pole, it's was just a sign of the times. Both actually made pretty silly errors in this period too incidentally.

In the current formula with small rear and big front wings, we have seen some pretty random performances. Force India are a perfect example. In 2009, no where most of the season, suddenly the quickest at Spa and Monza. Why? Because in this formulae you seem to have different cars excelling in different conditions. You didn't get that before 2009.

So we do agree that whenever a driver had for more than 10 years a realible car, no teamate to compete and an imense car superiority it didn´t take an exceptional talent to win tenths of races and multiples DC´s?

#125 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 00:11

So we do agree that whenever a driver had for more than 10 years a realible car, no teamate to compete and an imense car superiority it didn´t take an exceptional talent to win tenths of races and multiples DC´s?

keep on railing dude.

90% of your posts are anti-MS.

Nuff said :)

#126 CSF

CSF

• 51 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 00:12

Nice try, but you will see if you read that I specifically mention the 80s and 90s because you'd often see the best car being quicker than the second car by a couple of seconds.

#127 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:42

Ironic how that is isn't it? The Schumacher faithful will make up almost any excuse to excuse their boy. And then to top it all off, the fervently believe it!

#128 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,332 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:42

some of us have actually watched all Michael's races and have seen what he can do with a car that is not the best. to deny that is ridiculous - but not unusual for those that just like to troll the MSC threads