Lewis Hamilton confirmed at Mercedes for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1459 replies to this topic

#1 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:13

http://www.telegraph...om-McLaren.html

According to highly reliable source!! Should hear some announcement later.....

Advertisement

#2 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:17

Um.

#3 JBLeon

JBLeon

• 120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:25

Why does McLaren, as of lately, have such a difficult time holding on to great drivers?

#4 Rakaman

Rakaman

• 196 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:33

Maybe because they don't seem to have a clue what they are doing half the time? Maybe because they seem to be run by corporate shills who just can't win championships?

#5 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,510 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:38

:(

#6 JBLeon

JBLeon

• 120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:45

Maybe because they don't seem to have a clue what they are doing half the time? Maybe because they seem to be run by corporate shills who just can't win championships?

Whatever it is, don't want to sound like I know more than them but... methinks they ought to restructure the team.

Look at the difference:

Ferrari: Drivers drool at the thought of being able to drive for the scuderia.

McLaren: Best drivers in the world leave the team in disgust.

Food for thought.

Edited by JBLeon, 28 September 2012 - 01:46.

#7 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:48

Well its definitely a gamble for 2014. He was upset to be offered less than currently and less freedom than mercedes

Edited by tarmac, 28 September 2012 - 01:49.

#8 sailor

sailor

• 585 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:50

http://www.telegraph...om-McLaren.html

According to highly reliable source!! Should hear some announcement later.....

And there goes 2012 title.

Its destined for Alonso

#9 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:52

Its destined for Alonso

Ok but don't tell Vettel.

#10 JBLeon

JBLeon

• 120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:59

Word on the streets is that Mercedes is allowing him to bring all the rap stars he wants with him to the GPs as well as Nicole.

Edited by JBLeon, 28 September 2012 - 01:59.

#11 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:00

Good, that'll make a nice change then.

#12 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:03

It is not fun to drive for mclaren, drivers dont enjoy themselves, they dont have fun doing what they love which is racing. You need very unique personalities from a driver who would be ok working under this environment.
I don't blame Lewis, don't blame Alonso, don't blame Kimi nor Montoya ..

#13 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:04

I wonder what time-slot the Lewis & Nicole reality show will fit into..?

#14 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:08

Its destined for Alonso

The 2012 title went with his gearbox last week. Realistically there is no way to make it that gap in that much time.

#15 JBLeon

JBLeon

• 120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:10

It is not fun to drive for mclaren, drivers dont enjoy themselves, they dont have fun doing what they love which is racing. You need very unique personalities from a driver who would be ok working under this environment.
I don't blame Lewis, don't blame Alonso, don't blame Kimi nor Montoya ..

Yeah, but all these drivers know that going in though. I suspect there's more to it than what we're told.

I think the folks at McLaren don't put up with driver's egos like other teams do. Which is the way it ought to be in my opinion.

And, let's be honest, McLaren did not want to pay Lewis what he was looking for because they felt he was not worth that amount of money.

Edited by JBLeon, 28 September 2012 - 02:12.

#16 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 635 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:10

I wonder what time-slot the Lewis & Nicole reality show will fit into..?

lol

#17 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:13

lol

You know it's on the XIX agenda. :stoned:

#18 discover23

discover23

• 9,302 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:15

Yeah, but all these drivers know that going in though. I suspect there's more to it than what we're told.

I think the folks at McLaren don't put up with driver's egos like other teams do. Which is the way it ought to be in my opinion.

And, let's be honest, McLaren did not want to pay Lewis what he was looking for because they felt he was not worth that amount of money.

There is got to be a balance otherwise the drivers would not peak and perform their best. Imagine you going to work and not liking the environment your are in, would you give it all your best and go out of your way to give 110% ?
I don't think so.

Edited by discover23, 28 September 2012 - 02:22.

#19 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:19

Whatever it is, don't want to sound like I know more than them but... methinks they ought to restructure the team.

Look at the difference:

Food for thought.

If Drivers don't drool to race at McLaren they are silly. In the last 30 years, there have been 10 world Drivers championships for McLaren amongst 5 drivers (Lauda [1], Prost [3], Senna [3], Hakkinen [2] and Hamilton [1]. Ferrari? Drivers may drool - but in the same period, they have had 6 WDCs - amongst 2 drivers - Michael Schumacher [5] and Kimi Raikonnen [1] - and let's face it - KR had his WDC gift wrapped by the Ron Dennis/Alonso/de la Rosa/Hamilton mess at McLaren. There are probably 20 drivers on the grid who would happily hack their left b*****k off for that drive - the only ones who don't want it? Alonso - because he's happy where he is and has no great love of McL after 2007, Vettel, because, like Alonso he is probably better where he is (for now - but that could change) - Button - because he is already there and finally, Hamilton - don't ask me why. I think Hamilton would be crazy (or simply greedy?) to go to Mercedes.

Advertisement

#20 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,247 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:24

Villeneuve to replace him at McLaren, you heard it here first.

#21 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:25

The 2012 title went with his gearbox last week. Realistically there is no way to make it that gap in that much time.

As an Alonso fan, I'd beg to disagree - I think Lewis is still well in it. This is a glass half full/half empty thing, but the ferrari has looked pretty suspect for the last 4 races for various reasons, and the McLaren has looked great, in spite of retirements for both Button and Lewis. As an Alonso fan, I'm certainly not writing Lewis off - there are still 150 points up for grabs. Heck - 2 race wins for LH (easily possible) 1 non finish for Alonso and a poor finish in the second race (6th - 7th - 8th - ) and Lewis is back in it - depending on Seb.

As an Alonso fan, I wish I had your cofidence that "Lewis is done". Personally - in spite of his non-finish - I still think that LH is the threat.

#22 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:28

If Drivers don't drool to race at McLaren they are silly. In the last 30 years, there have been 10 world Drivers championships for McLaren amongst 5 drivers (Lauda [1], Prost [3], Senna [3], Hakkinen [2] and Hamilton [1]. Ferrari? Drivers may drool - but in the same period, they have had 6 WDCs - amongst 2 drivers - Michael Schumacher [5] and Kimi Raikonnen [1] - and let's face it - KR had his WDC gift wrapped by the Ron Dennis/Alonso/de la Rosa/Hamilton mess at McLaren. There are probably 20 drivers on the grid who would happily hack their left b*****k off for that drive - the only ones who don't want it? Alonso - because he's happy where he is and has no great love of McL after 2007, Vettel, because, like Alonso he is probably better where he is (for now - but that could change) - Button - because he is already there and finally, Hamilton - don't ask me why. I think Hamilton would be crazy (or simply greedy?) to go to Mercedes.

webber has made some remarks that suggest he isn't keen on the mclaren culture either but i'm sure that's a merc thing too and they wouldn't be too concerned about that now anyway.

the really tough thing to take is that the main person to come out of this looking good is ... eddie jordan.

#23 Rakaman

Rakaman

• 196 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:28

It went earlier than that when they refused to make him number 1 even though it was clear Button didn't have a chance. He probably already knows they don't have what it takes to win a tittle so long as the team gets run like a mobile phone company instead of a F1 team.

#24 Tommorris747

Tommorris747

• 145 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:29

Well its definitely a gamble for 2014. He was upset to be offered less than currently and less freedom than mercedes

If the 2014 regulations never come into effect then this could be one of the biggest mistakes in the history of F1. It wouldn't be the first time that the FIA had spent years working on new regulations which were due to be introduced but never happened......
http://www.fia.com/m.../241005-01.html

#25 Woody3says

Woody3says

• 426 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:30

Agree with ya Bruce. If anything Hammy will be more fired up to finish on top. What better way to ship out than by taking a WDC trophy with him to Merc..... "Sorry Ron baby, this is going with ME!"

#26 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 838 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:32

I'll believe it when I see it.

Then again, Mr, Vettel will be licking his chops to jump into that seat when his contract is up! Then he'll once again show everybody how to make formula1 look easy.

If Lewis leaves, my feelings won't be hurt if he never wins another race. Can't reward someone who's ego causes them make dumb decisions!

#27 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:35

Agree with ya Bruce. If anything Hammy will be more fired up to finish on top. What better way to ship out than by taking a WDC trophy with him to Merc..... "Sorry Ron baby, this is going with ME!"

That's all very well to say to Ron, but I'm sure Alonso will want it back at some point.

#28 dave34m

dave34m

• 811 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:41

That's all very well to say to Ron, but I'm sure Alonso will want it back at some point.

Lol

#29 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:42

I'll believe it when I see it.

Then again, Mr, Vettel will be licking his chops to jump into that seat when his contract is up! Then he'll once again show everybody how to make formula1 look easy.

If Lewis leaves, my feelings won't be hurt if he never wins another race. Can't reward someone who's ego causes them make dumb decisions!

Vettel won't get the chance - apparently Perez is already in - and I'm expecting he won't disappoint...

#30 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:42

:p

Good one. Let's hope!

#31 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,690 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:44

If he goes he is nuts, Merc may get it right but mcLaren is almost always there or thereabouts.

The man most interested ought to be Vettel, surely Newey and Reb Bull corp will either hit a wall or get bored, and look who has an empty seat. i'd be in that McLaren for 2014 if i were Vettel, assuming they are Ok funding wise which may be an issue moving forward.

#32 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:45

It went earlier than that when they refused to make him number 1 even though it was clear Button didn't have a chance. He probably already knows they don't have what it takes to win a tittle so long as the team gets run like a mobile phone company instead of a F1 team.

When has Button held up Hamilton this year? Is Button a mechanic now?

Edited by travbrad, 28 September 2012 - 02:46.

#33 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:47

webber has made some remarks that suggest he isn't keen on the mclaren culture either but i'm sure that's a merc thing too and they wouldn't be too concerned about that now anyway.

Did Webber make the remarks AFTER he re-signed with Red Bull or before???  ;)

the really tough thing to take is that the main person to come out of this looking good is ... eddie jordan.

Odd - init?

#34 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:50

If he goes he is nuts, Merc may get it right but mcLaren is almost always there or thereabouts.

The man most interested ought to be Vettel, surely Newey and Reb Bull corp will either hit a wall or get bored, and look who has an empty seat. i'd be in that McLaren for 2014 if i were Vettel, assuming they are Ok funding wise which may be an issue moving forward.

If the scuttlebutt is right, Perez is already in - I like Vettel - but I suspect that Perez is not a guy that McL will give up... still - could be - I'm curipous about the Perez/McLaren/Ferrari thing that is brewing if all of this is right...

#35 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 838 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:53

Vettel won't get the chance - apparently Perez is already in - and I'm expecting he won't disappoint...

I have strong doubts hamilton's [possible] replacement will be signed to a long term deal. Perhaps even a 1-year deal if that allows for a vacancy when vettel's contract is up. IF Perez turns out to be the real deal, then he'll sign a big time extension mid seaon, similar to Lewis' first year at Mac. Otherwise, they'll sign Vettel up at year's end. I think Red Bull's time is past, but with Newey, you never know.

I still can't see Lewis leaving Mac for Merc, especially when they're not sure they'll be there for the long run.

Red Bull don't want him, Ferrari don't want him... Perhaps he'll leave to prove to the doubters that someone other than MacLaren want him. :lol: Perhaps he'll go to america and run in the upper midfield in NASCAR? At least he'll be doing better than the last oversized ego that left McLaren for greener pastures (read montoya).

Besides, he'll really be able to exploit his rapper contacts. L Hizzy FTW!!

#36 Rakaman

Rakaman

• 196 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:54

When has Button held up Hamilton this year? Is Button a mechanic now?

I only need to say one word:

Balance.

#37 Cacarella

Cacarella

• 1,111 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:57

My guess is the teams are lining up their ducks for 2014 and the manufacturers are holding all the cards. Vettel and Alonso at Ferrari, Hamilton and (?) at Mercedes.
Mclaren and Redbull have been left behind. I expect a Vettel vs. Alonso title challenge next year before we see if Mercedes is capable of building a winner. This could turn out to be a good move for Lewis (or it could prove to be the biggest Villeneuve since Villenueve)

#38 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,166 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:06

Look at the difference:

Food for thought.

Actually you sound very short sighted and to know very little

McLaren: Best drivers in the world leave the team in disgust. - Wanna be specific? Who exactly left in disgust? Alonso after he shafted the team, and...? I'd say the disgust was more than mutual.

Ferrari: Drivers drool at the thought of being able to drive for the scuderia. - Maybe for the past decade or so, but you obviously don't remember the period between 1984-1997 before they poached half the Benetton team (including lead driver)

So I do believe you talk sh*t, as for Rakaman...

#39 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:06

Michael to waive salary and drive for Ferrari for 1 year replacing Massa (who is useless)

someone email MS now and tell him to do it!!

Advertisement

#40 dave34m

dave34m

• 811 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:12

Michael to waive salary and drive for Ferrari for 1 year replacing Massa (who is useless)

someone email MS now and tell him to do it!!

Oh come on, leave him alone, the guy has been embarrassed enough

#41 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:16

Button and Perez ?

#42 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:18

Villeneuve to replace him at McLaren, you heard it here first.

Hehehe. I WISH! :lol:

#43 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,985 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:29

I just can't see Perez moving to McLaren as long as Vodaphone is sponsoring them, that doesn't make any sense with Telmex backing him.

#44 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:37

Kimi to mclaren~~ hell yeah , make it happens =)

#45 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 10,985 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:55

Hülkenberg would be a superb choice for McLaren imho.

#46 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:57

I only need to say one word:

Balance.

I only need to say one word, and it also starts with a B

#47 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:00

Schumacher then to McLaren? Makes sense, Schumacher's a no bullshit kind of driver, well... at least these days.

#48 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:05

Perez is going to Mclaren.

Vettel to Ferrari in 2014.

So that gives Massa yet another (final) year at Ferrari.

Opens up the Red Bull for Kimi perhaps in 2014. He wont be going to McLaren next year - he'll stay at Lotus.

#49 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:06

get hami out of the mclaren. button has got the team out from under him any way.
great match with button and mclaren. without the reality show drama of hamilton it should be a much more professional atmosphere.

#50 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:06

Hülkenberg would be a superb choice for McLaren imho.

I would love this but looks like Perez is a done deal.