Photo

Lewis Hamilton confirmed at Mercedes for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1459 replies to this topic

#551 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:27

Finally. It's obvious that the relationships between McLaren and Lewis broke down, McLaren over the past 3 years made to many mistakes. Instead of helping him win 2010, 2011, 2012 WDC they threw them away. All the team support went to Button, countless time Button got perfect strategy. The team helped him save races, helped him look better than he is, where as they did everything possible to alienate Hamilton. Where would they be without Hamilton? They would be nowhere.

For Hamilton moving to Mercedes is a big risk, but big risks bring big rewards. Imagine that Hamilton wins the WDC next year. That would confirm his status as the best driver on the grid, taking a midfield team and making them champions.

Advertisement

#552 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:29

http://plus.autospor...-for-the-money/

Good article, blames McLaren.

#553 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:30

Still can't actually believe this has happened, sure there were constant rumors for awhile and such but it still comes as a surprise, just can't seem to picture Lewis in a team other than McLaren. Shame really, all the best to him though.

#554 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:31

This is what i don't get. He has been challenging for the title in four out of the six years he spent at McLaren. He had a car capable of winning races six years in a row. He could've been 3x WDC if he had not crashed out at China 2007 and Monza 2010. Those were his mistakes, not the team's - though there were also lots of the latter of course.

And then there's Merc. The team that promised to win and fight for the championship every season since they entered. Good, they have a win now, but so did BAR. Sure, with the new engines etc., Merc could have an advantage in 2014, and as a manufacturer team, there's no shortage of money. But there was shortage of money at Honda either. It's all just promises and speculation at Merc.

So why do you single out his only mistake from 2010? That year the team made mistakes in Australia, Malaysia, China, Barcelona, Hungary, Suzuka, Monza.

#555 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,682 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:35

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ferrari and Alonso must be grinning ear to ear right now at their increased title chances next year. :cool:

I dunno, maybe they should be worried about being beaten by McLaren and Mercedes next year.

#556 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,682 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:37

That's the definition of a good article right?

#557 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:40

I think it will play a tiny part this year as well. Hamilton will be excluded from anything sensitive.

Yea, maybe. I still think Mclaren want this title real bad. It could be a nice bargaining chip to get Lewis to come back after a few years.

unfortunately i have to agree, although i reserve my judgement on perez, it would be sweet if he is up to the challenge and surprises like hamilton did

I'll be rooting for Perez to do well to a point, cuz I like him and I'll like Mclaren even more without Lewis, but seriously, he's no Lewis Hamilton. I'd be surprised if he's even on Button's level, cuz Button's pretty good. Lewis is gonna be an all-time great and I dont think some Mclaren fans have had it sunk in yet how much losing a guy like him is gonna hurt. The guy has done wonders and without him, they'll be pretty much reliant on building a dominant car to win any titles.

#558 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

So why do you single out his only mistake from 2010? That year the team made mistakes in Australia, Malaysia, China, Barcelona, Hungary, Suzuka, Monza.

Because it was his mistake. You can't really only blame McLaren for not enabling him to win WDCs when he had it in his own hands as well. Of course McLaren as a team was far from perfect, but some people make them sound like BAR/Honda. Oops.

#559 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Still can't actually believe this has happened, sure there were constant rumors for awhile and such but it still comes as a surprise, just can't seem to picture Lewis in a team other than McLaren. Shame really, all the best to him though.

Same, will miss seeing Lewis in his McLaren overalls.

Difficult to believe the team-driver combination I have been dedicated to ever since I started watching f1 is now being split up.
But I guess that Lewis just wasn't happy in that team anymore.
Hope Lewis made the decision for all the right reasons

Advertisement

#560 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

That's the definition of a good article right?

In Zool's world...yes.

#561 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 858 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:41

I guess we will have new three times world champion this year, as Hamilton is now for sure out of the game.

#562 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 310 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:42

I wonder how long it will take Ferrari to drop Massa to make room for Schumacher's return?

#563 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:43

I dunno, maybe they should be worried about being beaten by McLaren and Mercedes next year.

Ferrari never writes anybody off, but a quick look at the past few years should show that Mercedes probably isn't gonna be that big a threat. Lewis might be better than Rosberg, but I dont think he's THAT much better. Rosberg is pretty good himself. So it'll be up to Mercedes to somehow do what they haven't been able to do the past few years and its not something I'd put any money on, if you know what I mean.

#564 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:44

Because it was his mistake. You can't really only blame McLaren for not enabling him to win WDCs when he had it in his own hands as well. Of course McLaren as a team was far from perfect, but some people make them sound like BAR/Honda. Oops.

Although I'm a Lewis fan, I agree with this. You cannot say that they did not give him the opportunity that year; but that opportunity could have been better if they did not make as many mistakes as they did, and you cannot expect a driver not to make a single mistake all season.

So he did have an opportunity, but maybe not as strong an opportunity as some other title contenders that year.

#565 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:45

Newey to Mercedes in 2014. Heard it here first!

Lewis isn't that dumb!!

#566 BMW4life

BMW4life

• 741 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:46

I guess we will have new three times world champion this year, as Hamilton is now for sure out of the game.

According to the common lot here, Lewis doesn't get full support from his team, so what difference will this make??

#567 skidmarks

skidmarks

• 102 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:48

...I dont think some Mclaren fans have had it sunk in yet how much losing a guy like him is gonna hurt. The guy has done wonders and without him, they'll be pretty much reliant on building a dominant car to win any titles.

I've been thinking the same thing. There are a lot of very angry McLaren fans, who see this as a betrayal and act as if Hamilton somehow owes it to McLaren to stay there until they let him go. But this is going to hurt McLaren who seem to have been building very temperamental cars for the last four years. As fast as this years car currently is, it's really Lewis who has made the difference when it was suffering in race pace.

I just can't understand the anger directed at him, when really, I think they should be angry at Whitmarsh for not holding on to a very valuable asset.

#568 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:48

Ferrari never writes anybody off, but a quick look at the past few years should show that Mercedes probably isn't gonna be that big a threat. Lewis might be better than Rosberg, but I dont think he's THAT much better. Rosberg is pretty good himself. So it'll be up to Mercedes to somehow do what they haven't been able to do the past few years and its not something I'd put any money on, if you know what I mean.

That's exactly what they're aiming to do. They've been building up for 2013.
Also, this season has proved that consistent point scoring is what gets you championships.
Alonso is leading the championship with, on average, the third fastest car all season; even if Mercedes aren't top of the pack in 2013, I'm sure 3rd fastest is a realistic aim; although I will be hoping that they can be faster than that.

#569 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,543 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:49

Newey to Mercedes in 2014. Heard it here first!

Lewis isn't that dumb!!

actually i think there is a chance he will end up at the reds with vettel, newey i mean, that would complete his career

#570 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,082 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:50

Why? It's still in Mclaren's interests to win races and championships. They will still support Lewis till the end of the year.

#571 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,421 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:51

Lewis to Mercedes smells awfully similar to Villenueve to BAR.

I have to agree, and I also think there's a good chance it may end the same way. We will only get a real idea when the new engine regulations come in, which would have been a key point in Hamilton's decision.

Edited by Disgrace, 28 September 2012 - 12:52.

#572 dhill39

dhill39

• 424 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:51

It not all about the money,I havent heard anybody talk about their relationship,why would a driver leave a team that he has been winning with to go to another team that is not proven that they can get out of their own way.Its the relationship,it has been broken for about three years now,and with any type of job of you don't feel appreciated,you are going to leave.I feel torn with his decision,first leaving a proven winner is a bold move,as history as shown only a few teams win and you guys know the few,it's going to be hard for him,wish him luck.I am a fan,so go Lewis

#573 Red 5

Red 5

• 610 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:52

Raikkonen decision expected soon.

On what? Which flavour ice-cream to take to Japan?

#574 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:52

That's exactly what they're aiming to do. They've been building up for 2013.
Also, this season has proved that consistent point scoring is what gets you championships.
Alonso is leading the championship with, on average, the third fastest car all season; even if Mercedes aren't top of the pack in 2013, I'm sure 3rd fastest is a realistic aim; although I will be hoping that they can be faster than that.

They've been building up for 2013? Pretty sure people were saying the same about this year. And the year before. Their track record isn't great, especially when it comes to maintaining competitiveness throughout the season.

#575 robefc

robefc

• 8,099 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:53

I'm not so sure about the blaming mclaren part but I think he may well have got to the crux of the issue regarding the relationship between macca and Lewis and why moving on was attractive to Lewis.

He talks very authoratitively though, as if he knows the reasons rather than is speculating.

#576 pRy

pRy

• 11,010 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:54

Number 1 status denied by Mercedes, equal status in 2013.

#577 David1976

David1976

• 935 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:56

Despite many saying it will be 2014 before they receive success I believe it will be sooner. I'll tell you why:-

1) Bob Bell, Aldo Costa and Geoff Willlis will have had time to gel into their new roles and influence the 2013 design.

2) Mercedes have ramped up their staff when others have been cutting. Unless they are hiring muppets, which I doubt given Brawn's influence, this can only be beneficial.

3) Hamilton, in my opinion, is not only quicker than Nico but has more ability to hustle a bad car into a result. This year that alone could have provided wins beyond what they achieved in China.

4) By joining Mercedes, McLaren by virtue of losing Hamilton, will lose points relative to Mercedes.

#578 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:57

They've been building up for 2013? Pretty sure people were saying the same about this year. And the year before. Their track record isn't great, especially when it comes to maintaining competitiveness throughout the season.

2013 is definitely different to this year for Mercedes, for no bigger reason than it will be the first year the newly assembled crew to build the car will actually influence it's design from scratch, (as far as my understanding from reading various articles is).

#579 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:58

So, based on your theory, Alonso lost 2010 for Ferrari and 2007 for McLaren, Schumacher lost 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2006, etc.

Lewis made only 1 mistake in 2010, and that was being too aggressive in Monza. 1 GP out of what, 18 or 19. Blaming everything on him is totally ridiculous.

Advertisement

#580 03011969

• 526 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:01

Nope. Au contraire.

By picking Brawn/Haug above Whitsmersh Lewis proved that he's hungry to WIN.

And in order to win he realized that he needed more than a good car - he realized he needed to have a fair shot alongside the Alonsos and the Vettels.

That means he needs FULL team support and not have to deal with extracurricular baggage like dealing with a boss who doesn't like him.

In fairness, Hamilton's "woe is me" manner makes him very easy (for many of us) to dislike.

All this "I'll race my little heart out", "I'm here to win", etc. stuff is just buttock-clenchingly embarassing for many of us.

#581 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:02

Well they have been aiming to improve every year and they have been improving every year, winning a race this year also.

Ross braun says that the team is now ready to take the next step:
“The potential is now there to match any other team on the grid, which is the minimum standard for a Mercedes-Benz works team. Our task is now to translate that potential into on-track performance for next season and beyond.”

They've spent the last few years gathering the team, and now it's time to extract that performance from the team to see the results.

#582 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,535 posts

Never say never, because Rosberg is almost managing it and the 2 cars are opposite ends of the spectrum right now.

Button 119 pts
Rosberg 93 pts.

Given the season Button has had with his set-up holiday, retirements and we have a 3rd of the season to go, and he's still head by a race win, your point is???

Edited by Rinehart, 28 September 2012 - 13:02.

#583 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,421 posts

2013 is definitely different to this year for Mercedes, for no bigger reason than it will be the first year the newly assembled crew to build the car will actually influence it's design from scratch, (as far as my understanding from reading various articles is).

This is also true, and with the new engine regulations, it's fairly easy in the end to see why Mercedes is an attractive proposition. However, I didn't expect Hamilton to leave his life team McLaren quite as readily as he has ended up doing.

Edited by Disgrace, 28 September 2012 - 13:02.

#584 Lord Snooty

Lord Snooty

• 809 posts

Apparently this forum works on girlband politics now. :lol:

:lol:

#585 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:04

So why does Hamilton need to be perfect? A simply fact is that the team made a lot more mistakes than him.

#586 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:04

actually i think there is a chance he will end up at the reds with vettel, newey i mean, that would complete his career

No he won't.

Ferrari is in Rory Byrne's secure pocket.

And in case you have been on Mars: these two chaps (Newey & Byrne) have been the top two most successful names in F1 engineering for three decades - meaning, neither one has to (and will ever) lower themselves and be the boss of the other, any time soon.

Edited by jerriy, 28 September 2012 - 13:10.

#587 David1976

David1976

• 935 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:05

I think Hamilton couldn't believe how he was being treated by the team despite being there for so long. It was all Whitmarsh's doing though - he forced Hamilton out whether it was by hook or by crook.

I happen to share this view. Now Whitmarsh had better hope Jenson wins more than a few races next year, and that Perez comes good, or else he'll have the McLaren board to answer to. I wouldn't like to be in his shoes...

#588 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:06

No he won't.

Ferrari is in Newey's rival Rory Byrne's pocket.

And in case you have been on Mars: these two chaps have been top two biggest names in F1 engineering for three decades (meaning neither one will lowering themselves and be the boss of the other any time soon.

Byrne's role in the F1 division is pretty small these days. Dont see that it'd be a big deal.

#589 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

You can't say this with any type of certainty because he has never had to... He did quite well in 2009 when the McLaren was a heap of crap.

Let's see how things go next year. I'm certainly a lot more fond of Hamilton already now that he is out of McLaren and I will definitely be rooting for him next year.

How times have changed..........I would have thought hell will freeze over before I heard you utter such statements.......so its not really Hamilton ...its McLaren you don't like....

#590 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Regarding their in-season development, I'd like to think that they have started to concentrate on the 2013 car early because they assembled a much better group of designers than they had in 2011 when they were developing the 2012 car.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit biased now because Lewis is going to Mercedes, but I think my points are valid arguements

#591 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,535 posts

For me, it was always going to be either Whitmarsh steps down or Hamilton leaves.
McLaren backed the wrong guy IMO, Whitmarsh can be replaced, Hamilton can't as easily if at all. Brundle said Hamilton is the fastest man in F1 and I think Brawn will harness that speed whereas McLaren focussed more on making it fair for Button to compete.
It's just surreal how McLaren have mismanaged this top 3 driver.

This year Whitmarsh just increased Button's salary closer to Hamiltons. There was no reference to the economy.

I still can't get my head round how unusual McLaren have handled all this. There is more to it than this I think. Will post what I think happened after lunch which is around what Bauss is alluding too.

there is a much easier expectation that Lewis isn't as good as you think or as deserving of the love due to the fact he managed to alienate himself from a team that have been supporting him since he was a kid.
Lets see how McLaren and Mercedes go next year and the year after before you confirm its all Whitmarsh's fault.

#592 John Player

John Player

• 455 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:07

Dumbest move of all times in F1.

#593 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:07

This is also true, and with the new engine regulations, it's fairly easy in the end to see why Mercedes is an attractive proposition. However, I didn't expect Hamilton to leave his life team McLaren quite as readily as he has ended up doing.

It doesn't take a 3-digit IQ to see that the McLaren he joined in 2007 and grew to know is far different from the one he is leaving in 2012.

This is Button's and Whitmarsh's team and has quite likely been his for a while, now.

#594 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:08

Newey said he won't ever go Ferrari because of the distance and his family.

If Vettel goes, the RBR dreamteam might break and at that point Newey might consider other teams, but I doubt he would go Merc because they already have many high profile engineers now, some saying too many cooks in the kitchen infact. I've always thought Newey prefers the underdog teams.

#595 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,654 posts

Well they have been aiming to improve every year and they have been improving every year, winning a race this year also.

Ross braun says that the team is now ready to take the next step:
“The potential is now there to match any other team on the grid, which is the minimum standard for a Mercedes-Benz works team. Our task is now to translate that potential into on-track performance for next season and beyond.”

They've spent the last few years gathering the team, and now it's time to extract that performance from the team to see the results.

Same stuff we've been hearing for the past few years. Next year it'll be, "Well this is just the first year with these guys working together properly, so we'll try and fight for podiums and then in 2014, thats when we'll come good."

#596 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

How times have changed..........I would have thought hell will freeze over before I heard you utter such statements.......so its not really Hamilton ...its McLaren you don't like....

It all comes out of the wash today.

#597 bogi

bogi

• 3,158 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:10

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102913

Let the game begins, I hope Hamilton fans won't count who got more hugs from Norbert.

#598 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,449 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:11

Despite many saying it will be 2014 before they receive success I believe it will be sooner. I'll tell you why:-

1) Bob Bell, Aldo Costa and Geoff Willlis will have had time to gel into their new roles and influence the 2013 design.

2) Mercedes have ramped up their staff when others have been cutting. Unless they are hiring muppets, which I doubt given Brawn's influence, this can only be beneficial.

3) Hamilton, in my opinion, is not only quicker than Nico but has more ability to hustle a bad car into a result. This year that alone could have provided wins beyond what they achieved in China.

4) By joining Mercedes, McLaren by virtue of losing Hamilton, will lose points relative to Mercedes.

Well put. :up:

#599 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:13

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102913

Let the game begins, I hope Hamilton fans won't count who got more hugs from Norbert.

LOL - at Ferrari Ross fed that line to Barrichello every year...

Ross doesn't do equal status. Ever.

I wonder who will get the higher car number.

Edited by ZooL, 28 September 2012 - 13:14.

Advertisement

#600 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:13

Same stuff we've been hearing for the past few years. Next year it'll be, "Well this is just the first year with these guys working together properly, so we'll try and fight for podiums and then in 2014, thats when we'll come good."

Well I believe they'll come good next year :)