Photo

Lewis Hamilton confirmed at Mercedes for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1459 replies to this topic

#1351 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,323 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:37

.........who I am sure will be preparing a new and tedious angle of attack.

More of the nor I guess.

Advertisement

#1352 Tonka

Tonka

• 834 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 23:56

Lewis Hamilton talks

http://www.telegraph...o-Mercedes.html

“I don’t know what is going to happen. I just know that everyone has to experience these things, working with new people and in new environments.

“That is just part of growing up. It’s my last step of independence I guess.

“It wasn’t about Ross [Brawn, Mercedes team principal]. It wasn’t about Niki [Lauda, Mercedes-Benz vice-chairman]. It was about Mercedes, a team which has not been that successful over the last couple of years.

“I know some of the greats have gone from a great car to not such a great car and have helped to develop a winning team. Michael [Schumacher], for instance, went from being a world champion to Ferrari. We haven’t really got any other driver in Formula One who is known for that. I hope that one day someone can say that about me.”

#1353 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 773 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 00:22

Lewis was upset with McLaren FACT! Not only he was upset with them, he told other people about it. I never said that before, but i do have people who knows Lewis on my facebook and they said the exact same thing Bernie said before Bernie even said it. Lewis made up his mind while ago to leave Mclaren because there were things going on he didn't like. Now he want to leave in good term with them, which it's nice, but all this nonsense Lewis is saying now sound more like someone who's trying to safe someone job to me.

#1354 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,388 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 00:23

Looks like that Withmarsh has to deflect pressure with constant talks about Hamilton now.

For example this silly one: Whitmarsh: Hamilton won't be faster

http://www.telegraph...-Whitmarsh.html

How he knows?

#1355 ch103

ch103

• 702 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:34

Is there any chance that Lewis returns to McLaren at any time during his career?

#1356 akshay380

akshay380

• 540 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:23

Is there any chance that Lewis returns to McLaren at any time during his career?

Of course yes.

http://www.telegraph...o-Mercedes.html

The way I look at it is that I am walking over that bridge and down a different path. If that path brings me back, who knows? I think I will always have McLaren in my heart.

Edited by akshay380, 04 October 2012 - 03:23.

#1357 teejay

teejay

• 3,601 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:15

Aamzing - so many rabid fanboy, and anti fanboy theories blown out of the water in the last 24 hours.

#1358 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:52

Depends how far apart your respective value expectations are. The point made was the Hamilton took offence, not that offence was intended.

If he was offered less than Button, then that was an offensive offer.  ;)

Even a Button fan has to see that Jenson has less value than Lewis.

#1359 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,103 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:09

I think watching what Sebastian and Mark have been able to do at Red Bull - live - has caused Hamilton to catch the bug. Merc will have good people like RBR and helping to build a champion team in that environment is really something special. Michael and Nico have built the starter kit, now Lewis and Nico will continue. I think it is great.

Advertisement

#1360 prabha71

prabha71

• 151 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:43

I remember a time when they started off, the Red Bull team was treated like a "laughing stock" and was VERY underestimated. It took them a few years, some tweeks and a great designer to make the team. I believe no one is laughing now.

It may take Mercedes a couple of years more of tweeks in the team but you never know.. they most probably may hit the sweet spot like they did in the 50's and steamroll everyone.

Ferrari did a similar thing when Schumi went there... and they only became stronger..

It's all about the sum of the parts and it looks to me that Mercedes is trying what they can to get the "Formula" right.

...and Bourbon is right..

- Prabha

#1361 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:48

Very interesting article posted by smokescreen in the main Lewis thread
http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Completely blows a hole in a lot of theories:

Sounds like MW did all he could to keep Lewis, and it was Lewis that left them hanging, (what more could I have done?).

Seahawk was right, in regards to Lewis swinging like a pendulum.

Lewis clearly isn't doing this for financial reasons (two similar offers) and it seems like McLaren were pretty willing to give into his demands.

Really really nice interview :up:

#1362 w00dy

w00dy

• 339 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:10

Very interesting article posted by smokescreen in the main Lewis thread
http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

Nothing is 100% black or white.

This is a nice PR speech about the - perceived - right reasons to change a team. It is probably true to a certain extent. Probably the low balled initial Mclaren offer was problematic to Lewis. And the other things, the trophies, the personal sponsorships. Maybe the challenge was 95% of the reason, maybe the taking offence at the initial offer is 95% most likely somewhere in between. But what he says now is the clean version, the one he had to think about.

There was talk about James Allen spilling the beans about how the relationship deteriorated between Lewis and Mclaren, I hope we get that article.

#1363 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,160 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:11

I remember a time when they started off, the Red Bull team was treated like a "laughing stock" and was VERY underestimated. It took them a few years, some tweeks and a great designer to make the team. I believe no one is laughing now.

It may take Mercedes a couple of years more of tweeks in the team but you never know.. they most probably may hit the sweet spot like they did in the 50's and steamroll everyone.

Ferrari did a similar thing when Schumi went there... and they only became stronger..

It's all about the sum of the parts and it looks to me that Mercedes is trying what they can to get the "Formula" right.

...and Bourbon is right..

- Prabha

What does amaze me is how many people putting their oar in know exactly how the future will work out. That Merc won't progress, that Hamilton won't won anymore and fade to the midfield at best...

I for myself have no idea what the future will be. The only foolish thing would be to suggest that performance and positions will always be the same as they are...everything changes.

#1364 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,389 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:31

well, we will know soon enough wont we, because Mercedes has no excuses now. All their key personnal has been put in place, given time to adapt and everything, hamilton is there, a proven top3 driver, so if they dont deliver next year, im not saying winning everything but a huge improvement, i dont think they ever will. Honestly im pretty skeptical, i dont think Brawn has shown anything other then beeing good at coming up with excuses, there is always an aspect of the car they miss or do wrong. Only time that team succedded was when Honda posted unlimited funds into it, used 3windtunnels etc. But i wish them the best as i dont want so see another BMW, but from my armchair thats the way its going at the moment

#1365 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:32

One off transactions? Absolutely.

Negotiations where there will be an ongoing relationship? I wouldn't agree. Making an offer that you know is going to be seen as offensive, and is nowhere near where you are actually willing to go, in that circumstance is just silly IMO*.

Negotiations where the parties know they are going to have to work together after the deal has concluded always take place in a much narrower band, IMO, than where they know they will go their seperate ways after the deal is done.

*don't know if this is what happened or not in this case, obviously.

You can only judge the offer, if you know the demands. Say XIX wanted to double his earnings, offering 50% of his current income because of the economic crisis and the need to pay for the engines, looks different than if Lewis would have just demanded a moderatoe pay rise.

#1366 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,256 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:05

Lewis was upset with McLaren FACT! Not only he was upset with them, he told other people about it. I never said that before, but i do have people who knows Lewis on my facebook and they said the exact same thing Bernie said before Bernie even said it. Lewis made up his mind while ago to leave Mclaren because there were things going on he didn't like. Now he want to leave in good term with them, which it's nice, but all this nonsense Lewis is saying now sound more like someone who's trying to safe someone job to me.

I also know people who know LH and people in the motorsports and they both say the relationship between LH and Whitmarsh has been strained FOR YEARS so much so that I predicted all the way back in 2009 after Whitmarsh took over that LH would leave Macca for Merc.... I was still surprised that LH actually made the move as Merc has been such a disappointment. Which along with this news that the offers were similar (which I take with a grain of salt for the time being suggest that things were really not right between LH and Macca/Whitmarsh.

I dont buy this latest round of PR bull at all.

#1367 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,685 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:10

I also know people who know LH and people in the motorsports and they both say the relationship between LH and Whitmarsh has been strained FOR YEARS so much so that I predicted all the way back in 2009 after Whitmarsh took over that LH would leave Macca for Merc.... I was still surprised that LH actually made the move as Merc has been such a disappointment. Which along with this news that the offers were similar (which I take with a grain of salt for the time being suggest that things were really not right between LH and Macca/Whitmarsh.

I would take anything Hamilton says right now with a grain of salt. Let's wait to hear from him after his McLaren ride is over.

#1368 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:34

well, we will know soon enough wont we, because Mercedes has no excuses now. All their key personnal has been put in place, given time to adapt and everything, hamilton is there, a proven top3 driver, so if they dont deliver next year, im not saying winning everything but a huge improvement, i dont think they ever will. Honestly im pretty skeptical, i dont think Brawn has shown anything other then beeing good at coming up with excuses, there is always an aspect of the car they miss or do wrong. Only time that team succedded was when Honda posted unlimited funds into it, used 3windtunnels etc. But i wish them the best as i dont want so see another BMW, but from my armchair thats the way its going at the moment

+1

#1369 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:40

Quite an interesting revelation from Lewis and the most candid I have ever heard him speak

Hamilton admits Suzuka could be awkward after Mercedes news

http://www.f1zone.ne...des-news/16003/

#1370 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:03

“I did try to get hold of Ron, but I did not manage to speak to him,” said Hamilton

Who would have thought five years ago we'd be reading that sentence.

#1371 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:05

Quite an interesting revelation from Lewis and the most candid I have ever heard him speak

Wow ! that was a deep interview , no doubt about it .

#1372 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:19

Who would have thought five years ago we'd be reading that sentence.

That really stands out. One would have thought that Ron and Lewis wouldn't have to "try to get hold of" each other. Sounds like Ron has been ignoring Lewis phone calls or emails.

#1373 as65p

as65p

• 17,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:33

He's still very much occupied with his legacy.

And the challenge, Hamilton conceded, is trying to emulate the feats of “greats” like Michael Schumacher, who have in the past traded a winning car for a tougher project.

“We haven’t really got any other driver in Formula One (except Schumacher) who is known for that. I hope that one day someone can say that about me.

IMO that's a weird approach at the stage his career is in, but time will tell where it takes him. Looks like Lauda was pretty much telling the truth when he said recently how he managed to persuade Hamilton with exactly that argument.

#1374 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:33

That really stands out. One would have thought that Ron and Lewis wouldn't have to "try to get hold of" each other. Sounds like Ron has been ignoring Lewis phone calls or emails.

Perhaps Ron wasn't interested in being told over the phone. Maybe he's waiting for Lewis to speak to him face to face. Or am I expecting too much from drivers these days?

These things could always be handled better in hind sight but if he had sat Ron and Martin down at McLaren HQ and told them his reasons for leaving, thanked them for everything they'd done for him.. yes it would have sucked, yes he would have hated every moment of the conversation, but at least he would have left feeling better and he could have made eye contact with them in the future. He talked a lot in the interview about doing things on his terms and to his time table.. yet he didn't find the time to go tell them face to face. Perhaps i'm being too harsh.

#1375 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:39

Perhaps Ron wasn't interested in being told over the phone. Maybe he's waiting for Lewis to speak to him face to face. Or am I expecting too much from drivers these days?

These things could always be handled better in hind sight but if he had sat Ron and Martin down at McLaren HQ and told them his reasons for leaving, thanked them for everything they'd done for him.. yes it would have sucked, yes he would have hated every moment of the conversation, but at least he would have left feeling better and he could have made eye contact with them in the future. He talked a lot in the interview about doing things on his terms and to his time table.. yet he didn't find the time to go tell them face to face. Perhaps i'm being too harsh.

How could he speak to Ron in person if he can't even get hold of him?

Either way there's no point in reading too much into it. This is a tough end of a journey for both of them and I'm sure they'll hug is out towards the end of the year.

#1376 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:43

How could he speak to Ron in person if he can't even get hold of him?

Either way there's no point in reading too much into it. This is a tough end of a journey for both of them and I'm sure they'll hug is out towards the end of the year.

I imagined if he turned up at McLaren HQ on a day he knew Ron was there and asked to speak to him he wouldn't be told to go away. Or if he had requested via Martin a sit down with them both, they'd have been able to arrange something.

#1377 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:45

I would take anything Hamilton says right now with a grain of salt. Let's wait to hear from him after his McLaren ride is over.

Why? Its not like he will have any pressing need to be more honest and open to the greater public after leaving the team than he has now. You want to wait to pick and choose what ever negative he has to say about Whitmarsh or Ronzo because it fits your prejudices better than what he is saying now.

Edited by Oho, 04 October 2012 - 08:46.

#1378 topical

topical

• 2,069 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:45

Funny interview. In the last line Lewis already trying to open the door to a McLaren comeback if the Mercedes project flops, as it probably will :lol:
I also find the "new challenge" line odd. If he'd already won 2 WDCs and his closer challenger was someone like Damon Hill I could accept it, but with only 1 WDC after 6 years with a top team and the likes of Alonso and Vettel in strong teams, it's either a very brave or very foolish perspective.

#1379 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:49

Hamilton to McLaren in 2015? I feel a thread coming on.....

Advertisement

#1380 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 115 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:17

Yeah, after reading a few of the above posts, I am swayed to agree . .

Mclaren (Ron) has given LH everything - he would not be anywhere as close to "rich and famous" as he is now without them, and all he can do is phone them to say he is moving on.

I agree, he should have sat down with both Ron and Martin to discuss his resignation.

I wouldn't be surprised if he runs out of fuel, gets a flat tire, a wheel falls off, another gearbox failure, slow pit stops and maybe a blown engine for the remaining 6 races - there is surely gonna be some drama

#1381 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 433 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:30

Perhaps you are. I seem to recall that Ross Brawn only found out third hand about Jenson Button's visit to the McLaren Technology Centre third hand, and actually rang Button to find out what was going on. Then there was Nigel Mansell, who decided to announce his retirement from the sport (and Williams) at a press conference. I'm sure there are many other examples, too.

These things happen.

#1382 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:37

Perhaps you are. I seem to recall that Ross Brawn only found out third hand about Jenson Button's visit to the McLaren Technology Centre third hand, and actually rang Button to find out what was going on. Then there was Nigel Mansell, who decided to announce his retirement from the sport (and Williams) at a press conference. I'm sure there are many other examples, too.

Well in reply to those examples (trying not to kick off a sub debate here) .. McLaren already knew Lewis was looking else where. It still doesn't mean he couldn't tell them of his final decision in a different way to what he did. And the Mansell thing was because Williams signed Prost behind his back and relations were already severely damaged by the time Mansell retired.

#1383 mgs315

mgs315

• 357 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:41

Hamilton to McLaren in 2015? I feel a thread coming on.....

Sods law it'll be after a few years of McLaren domination before turning mediocre again!

#1384 fed up

fed up

• 1,953 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:46

Mclaren (Ron) has given LH everything - he would not be anywhere as close to "rich and famous" as he is now without them, and all he can do is phone them to say he is moving on.

I agree, he should have sat down with both Ron and Martin to discuss his resignation.

I wouldn't be surprised if he runs out of fuel, gets a flat tire, a wheel falls off, another gearbox failure, slow pit stops and maybe a blown engine for the remaining 6 races - there is surely gonna be some drama

That is absolute BS - there is no way you can determine that. Lewis has talent, so there is a liklihood that another team could have picked him up and financed his career. Cream rises.

Regardless, we don't owe anyone is this life an eternal debt - if we did we'd never leave home, ever!

Edited by fed up, 04 October 2012 - 09:49.

#1385 Oho

Oho

• 7,510 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:47

There is too much money at stake and Mosley would, even from retirement, pounce on Ronzo if there was any reason to suspect foul play.

#1386 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 773 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:48

For what I know, Lewis decided to stay at McLaren and told them during the summer break and that's when they presented him the famous ' pay cut' contract. That's the contract Lewis publicly called shit. It was because of that Lewis started to truly look for option, he even thought about other category. After the tweet gate, Lewis called someone at Mercedes and told that person he was leaving. It's true he didn't sign nothing yet till last few days.

#1387 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:48

It's unfortunate that the 2014 engines are unlikely to come into force.

#1388 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,079 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:00

Q. (Dan Knutson - Honorary) Lewis, you may have covered this with the Brits(British press), but we weren't privy to be there. In life, when you make a big decision, many of us, once it's made, you can relax because good, bad or indifferent, it's done so do you feel calmer now, that the decision is made?

LH: Absolutely, yeah, I feel fantastic. Very very happy and excited and grateful that I can now just focus on these next six races. I know there's a lot of work ahead of me. I know I'm leaving a very very good car for this guy (Perez) to step into...

SP: Thank you.

LH: Yeah. Trust me, it will be a good car next year as well, I know. I know exactly what's going on next year with your car.

:lol: :p

#1389 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,797 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:02

Good luck to Lewis, and boy he's going to need it with that Merc shitbox.

#1390 Guizotia

Guizotia

• 1,291 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:11

LH: Yeah. Trust me, it will be a good car next year as well, I know. I know exactly what's going on next year with your car.

That's an interesting point that I don't think has really been discussed.

Lewis is taking knowledge of current and future McLaren developments to Mercedes as well as driving skill.

I assume that as of his decision to leave has been shut off from certain communications. I wonder if that will affect his ability in the races.

#1391 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,278 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:13

Alonso shares his opinion on the move:
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/103055

#1392 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,176 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:17

Doesnt miss a chance at sticking his oar in at Mclaren :)

#1393 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,859 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:28

Doesnt miss a chance at sticking his oar in at Mclaren :)

I can see him and Lewis becoming best buds now.

#1394 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:38

"I think for Lewis it is a good thing to move on and for McLaren .... [Alain] Prost went out, [Ayrton] Senna, then it was me, now it's Lewis, and normally for a better life, for a good change.

funny he makes no reference to Kimi in the statement above....... :)

#1395 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,497 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:15

That is absolute BS - there is no way you can determine that. Lewis has talent, so there is a liklihood that another team could have picked him up and financed his career. Cream rises.

Regardless, we don't owe anyone is this life an eternal debt - if we did we'd never leave home, ever!

That pretty much sums it up for me :up: :)

Lewis has given a lot back to McLaren and is not tied to them forever. He fancies a new challenge and if it doesn't work out then so what? He's young and will be successful in the longterm no doubt. He's a great talent and I hope his maturity continues. :)

#1396 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,577 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:24

I can see him and Lewis becoming best buds now.

This suggests that they're not already BFF...? :lol:

#1397 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,685 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:43

Why? Its not like he will have any pressing need to be more honest and open to the greater public after leaving the team than he has now. You want to wait to pick and choose what ever negative he has to say about Whitmarsh or Ronzo because it fits your prejudices better than what he is saying now.

Because he has 6 more races with the team to go. Any rational person will not rock the boat while you have to live in that environment.

Is it really that hard to figure out for you....jeez.

#1398 teejay

teejay

• 3,601 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:46

"I think for Lewis it is a good thing to move on and for McLaren .... [Alain] Prost went out, [Ayrton] Senna, then it was me, now it's Lewis, and normally for a better life, for a good change.

funny he makes no reference to Kimi in the statement above....... :)

Because the rest of them won titles for McLaren?

#1399 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 773 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:47

Alonso is a killer! :lol:

Fernando Alonso : "I think it's normal, it's just steps in your career and I said when the rumours were there that for Lewis I think it's a good thing to move on. For McLaren, [Alain] Prost was going out, [Ayrton] Senna; it was me, now it's Lewis, and usually for a better life, for good change. McLaren is 14 years not winning the constructors' championship, most of these years sometimes with the best car, so I'm sure Lewis wants to win as well."

Advertisement

#1400 robefc

robefc

• 8,015 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:05

That's an interesting point that I don't think has really been discussed.

Lewis is taking knowledge of current and future McLaren developments to Mercedes as well as driving skill.

I assume that as of his decision to leave has been shut off from certain communications. I wonder if that will affect his ability in the races.

Well apparently Lewis promised MW that he wouldn't share anything with Merc and MW is happy with that...

I think we can assume that is poppycock but that's what MW said!