Photo

Lewis Hamilton confirmed at Mercedes for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1459 replies to this topic

#1401 Oho

Oho

• 7,508 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:22

Because he has 6 more races with the team to go. Any rational person will not rock the boat while you have to live in that environment.

Is it really that hard to figure out for you....jeez.

Right....

Quite frankly I find it rather hard to see how Lewis, after announcing he is leaving, could really rock the boat more significantly with a few ill advised words. There is a pretty good example from 2006 of such utterly idiotic comments amounting to diddly. Lewis rocked the boat quite enough by completing the move. More to the point the people that have actually worked for his car might feel more insulted by fluffy words which do not ring sincere than by some bitter comments which did. If he was worried about how his crew felt he should keep his trap shut.

Besides you failed to answer the pertinent question, why would he feel compelled to spill his guts after he leaves the team. Washing dirty laundry in public would still hurt his reputation on the paddock big time.

Edited by Oho, 04 October 2012 - 13:28.

Advertisement

#1402 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 773 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:32

One day, we will know the true about what happened. As we say in Spain: Tiempo al tiempo :D

@andrewbensonf1: New McLaren driver @SChecoPerez reveals they approached him "a few months ago"

#1403 CHIUNDA

CHIUNDA

• 716 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:35

What does amaze me is how many people putting their oar in know exactly how the future will work out. That Merc won't progress, that Hamilton won't won anymore and fade to the midfield at best...

I for myself have no idea what the future will be. The only foolish thing would be to suggest that performance and positions will always be the same as they are...everything changes.

Very philosophical but also very true :up:

#1404 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,146 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:43

Well apparently Lewis promised MW that he wouldn't share anything with Merc and MW is happy with that...

I think we can assume that is poppycock but that's what MW said!

He'll have told/ will tell them everything. It's his job to.

#1405 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:48

Just thinking out loud, but did McLaren spoil Michael's retirement announcement by stating they'd signed Checo (which forced Lewis to announce his leaving Mac) and stealing Michael's moment?

#1406 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:49

Because the rest of them won titles for McLaren?

But Alonso himself...didn't......... :)

#1407 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,561 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:02

"I think for Lewis it is a good thing to move on and for McLaren .... [Alain] Prost went out, [Ayrton] Senna, then it was me, now it's Lewis, and normally for a better life, for a good change.

funny he makes no reference to Kimi in the statement above....... :)

He probably would've if he knew someone would nitpick it.

Edited by RedOne, 04 October 2012 - 14:05.

#1408 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 1,311 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:10

Just thinking out loud, but did McLaren spoil Michael's retirement announcement by stating they'd signed Checo (which forced Lewis to announce his leaving Mac) and stealing Michael's moment?

The exact order of the announcements would have been part of the negotiations between the parties

#1409 fed up

fed up

• 1,953 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:16

Right you are.

Mclaren jumped the gun to in an attempt to steal Lewis/Mercedes' thunder - i'm not sure they gave Schumi a thought

#1410 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:20

Right you are.

Mclaren jumped the gun to in an attempt to steal Lewis/Mercedes' thunder - i'm not sure they gave Schumi a thought

Was SP's contract announced first then? I heard about LH moving first, but it's not surprising that that would have got top billing.

#1411 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 773 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:34

Was SP's contract announced first then? I heard about LH moving first, but it's not surprising that that would have got top billing.

Officially, McLaren announced Sergio Perez before Mercedes confirmed Lewis Hamilton. but the day before, it was all over internet that Lewis was leaving McLaren.

#1412 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,341 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:49

That's an interesting point that I don't think has really been discussed.

Lewis is taking knowledge of current and future McLaren developments to Mercedes as well as driving skill.

I assume that as of his decision to leave has been shut off from certain communications. I wonder if that will affect his ability in the races.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a much more competitive Merc next year.

Lewis probably won't have detailed knowledge of what McLaren have been looking at, but he might well know what ideas they have, and it could give the Merc boys a lot of inspiration, let's say.

#1413 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 773 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:53

Lewis probably won't have detailed knowledge of what McLaren have been looking at, but he might well know what ideas they have, and it could give the Merc boys a lot of inspiration, let's say.

When Pedro De La Rosa left McLaren for the 1st time to join Sauber, he brought the Fduct idea to Sauber from McLaren . At the start of 2010, McLaren and Sauber were the only Team that had the Fduct working properly.

#1414 P123

P123

• 8,087 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:56

Well in reply to those examples (trying not to kick off a sub debate here) .. McLaren already knew Lewis was looking else where. It still doesn't mean he couldn't tell them of his final decision in a different way to what he did. And the Mansell thing was because Williams signed Prost behind his back and relations were already severely damaged by the time Mansell retired.

Ah, the new angle of attack....He was in Asia when the decision was made... so yes, your expectation is unreasonable. Had he waited for face-to face meetings I expect you would have found reason to criticise that too given the delay there would have been between Mercedes knowing and McLaren knowing. McLaren weren't exactly bowled over with surprise either.

#1415 P123

P123

• 8,087 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:59

As far as official announcements go, Perez's move was announced first, but only after the likes of Autosport began reporting that Mercedes were set to announce the signing of Hamilton that day. A bit of thunder-stealing/ face saving.

#1416 as65p

as65p

• 17,132 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:01

Claims of bringing 6 tenths to Mercedes for 2013 are waiting to be made... ah, screw that, I bet it'll be a second!

;)

#1417 topical

topical

• 2,069 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:04

Alonso shares his opinion on the move:
http://www.autosport...t.php/id/103055

As an Alonso fan I don't find that a very classy comment. He could have made his point without getting in a dig at the team.

#1418 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:04

As far as official announcements go, Perez's move was announced first, but only after the likes of Autosport began reporting that Mercedes were set to announce the signing of Hamilton that day. A bit of thunder-stealing/ face saving.

I heard it on the radio and obviously not in the correct order.

#1419 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:06

As an Alonso fan I don't find that a very classy comment. He could have made his point without getting in a dig at the team.

Wouldn't worry about it. The same comment can be aimed at any team. Drivers come, drivers go.

Advertisement

#1420 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:30

I heard it on the radio and obviously not in the correct order.

I'm not saying it was malicious or anything but it might have been respectful to let Schumacher announce first.

#1421 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,684 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:36

If that was a dig it wasn't a very big one. When drivers give PR answers, people want honesty. When they are honest, they want PR answers.

Tough to please everyone in this Internet world

#1422 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:40

I'm not saying it was malicious or anything but it might have been respectful to let Schumacher announce first.

They don't owe him anything and he might have dragged it out for months.

#1423 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:46

They don't owe him anything and he might have dragged it out for months.

All true. But perhaps from a F1 PR story it could have been managed better.

#1424 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,763 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:48

Possibly also correlated sharing of the news cycle from least to most important: 1) Perez to McLaren 2) Hamilton to Mercedes 3) Schumacher retires

#1425 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:48

All true. But perhaps from a F1 PR story it could have been managed better.

From an F1 PR perspective the drivers who are swapping teams is more important. Schumacher has retired once already so don't see why something special should be done second time around.

#1426 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:52

He didn't mention Raikkonen, now he's going to be crucified by those rabid Kimi fans

#1427 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:53

From an F1 PR perspective the drivers who are swapping teams is more important.

To you and me, yes. But not to the layman or casual fan.

#1428 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,211 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:55

To you and me, yes. But not to the layman or casual fan.

Why do you think they are any different?

#1429 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:07

Why do you think they are any different?

I don't live in Europe so perhaps my perspective of fans and news is different, both fans and news are in short supply in the mainstream here.

#1430 as65p

as65p

• 17,132 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:38

From an F1 PR perspective the drivers who are swapping teams is more important. Schumacher has retired once already so don't see why something special should be done second time around.

Yep. Especially as I reckon it would only take an Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel injury during the winter break for MS to offer his services again.  ;)

#1431 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:52

Claims of bringing 6 tenths to Mercedes for 2013 are waiting to be made... ah, screw that, I bet it'll be a second!

;)

Creating a mythical Hamilton fan claim. Yawn.

#1432 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:01

;)

awww....how nice...2 tenths more than what Fred brings to the table :)

Edited by BernieEc, 04 October 2012 - 18:01.

#1433 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,246 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:30

For what I know, Lewis decided to stay at McLaren and told them during the summer break and that's when they presented him the famous ' pay cut' contract. That's the contract Lewis publicly called shit. It was because of that Lewis started to truly look for option, he even thought about other category. After the tweet gate, Lewis called someone at Mercedes and told that person he was leaving. It's true he didn't sign nothing yet till last few days.

Dont know the dates like you but that is consistent with what I understand ... LH is a bit immature for his age... and the folks at Macca are increasingly frustrated by this. As one person (not in the team but who is in Motorsports at a reasonably high level ) put it "he missed his teenage years and is living them out now" ... my understanding is that no tears are being shed at Macca ...and for the record for those who dont know, I am not an LH hater. In fact, the opposite.

I dont know from LH's side ATM.

My interpretation of what people who I believe to be in the know in terms of high level rumours (and that's rumours and not hard facts as none of us outside a very few really know anything that happened, no matter what people are saying ATM) is that he was pushed rather than that he jumped... which is not what I was expecting to be hearing. Hopefully other posters who are usually good with this sort of info will chime in as well.

Hopefully he has the last laugh over at Merc.

#1434 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,134 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:43

Dont know the dates like you but that is consistent with what I understand ... LH is a bit immature for his age... and the folks at Macca are increasingly frustrated by this. As one person (not in the team but who is in Motorsports at a reasonably high level ) put it "he missed his teenage years and is living them out now" ... my understanding is that no tears are being shed at Macca ...and for the record for those who dont know, I am not an LH hater. In fact, the opposite.

My interpretation of what people who I believe to be in the know in terms of high level rumours (and that's rumours and not hard facts as none of us outside a very few really know anything that happened, no matter what people are saying ATM) is that he was pushed rather than that he jumped... which is not what I was expecting to be hearing. Hopefully other posters who are usually good with this sort of info will chime in as well.

Reading between the lines, that's the impression I got too. I have no inside information though.

#1435 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 773 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:02

He was being pushed out for a while. Plus Sergio Perez has confirmed Mclaren approached him a few months ago ( so much not having a plan B). What I don't know is if it's true that at the end they wanted him to stay and offer him a better contract ( My source is quiet on facebook at the moment :rotfl: )

#1436 bauss

bauss

• 4,956 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:37

if he was that pushed, then everyone including LH is doing an elaborately fantastic job in deception and spinning it the other way. It is just simply not consistent with what we know.....if this was another 2011 type season, it may be understandable that Mac bosses are fed up...but nothing from the team including the high praise from MW as far back as Spain is consistent with that, except they've put a mighty effort into one huge elaborate hoax, which when u think of it is unnecc... if that was the case. It's not the first time a team is getting rid of a WDC driver that they have to spin to high heavens to make it look like total opposite.

but who knows...

#1437 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,928 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:47

I think we are playing it too hard,its was a "marriage" and now they are on "amicable divorce".

There isn't hate,just the two parts moving on life.

#1438 robefc

robefc

• 8,003 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 22:56

if he was that pushed, then everyone including LH is doing an elaborately fantastic job in deception and spinning it the other way. It is just simply not consistent with what we know.....if this was another 2011 type season, it may be understandable that Mac bosses are fed up...but nothing from the team including the high praise from MW as far back as Spain is consistent with that, except they've put a mighty effort into one huge elaborate hoax, which when u think of it is unnecc... if that was the case. It's not the first time a team is getting rid of a WDC driver that they have to spin to high heavens to make it look like total opposite.

but who knows...

I agree

I can well believe there are peope at mac sighing with relief and I expect lewis and mclaren's mutual affection to ramp up on both sides now that they know they're going to be separated.

But Lewis claims MW has been asking him when he'll sign a new deal since china last year, MW is on record as saying they put too much pressure on him when he had a personal situation going on - which to me means they were putting pressure on him to sign when his auntie was ill/just died (the timing of MW@s comment made that pretty clear), this further ties in with Lewis talking about him missing deadlines.

Furthermore everyone agrees that macca put a good offer on the table - MW, lewis and brawn all singing from the same hymn sheet on that one.

I think Macca wanted Lewis to stay, they've been trying to get him to meet deadlines to sign and he's been resisting, they upped the offer and the charm offensive when they realised merc was a serious alternative.

Too much evidence on one side and twisting of facts to meet a pre determined viewpoint on the other imo...although I apprecaite that accusation could also be laid at a lewis fan assuming that he's good enough for macca to want to keep him. I think that rating of Lewis is shared by most people within the sport though.

#1439 garoidb

garoidb

• 3,518 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 23:06

I agree

I can well believe there are peope at mac sighing with relief and I expect lewis and mclaren's mutual affection to ramp up on both sides now that they know they're going to be separated.

But Lewis claims MW has been asking him when he'll sign a new deal since china last year, MW is on record as saying they put too much pressure on him when he had a personal situation going on - which to me means they were putting pressure on him to sign when his auntie was ill/just died (the timing of MW@s comment made that pretty clear), this further ties in with Lewis talking about him missing deadlines.

Furthermore everyone agrees that macca put a good offer on the table - MW, lewis and brawn all singing from the same hymn sheet on that one.

I think Macca wanted Lewis to stay, they've been trying to get him to meet deadlines to sign and he's been resisting, they upped the offer and the charm offensive when they realised merc was a serious alternative.

Too much evidence on one side and twisting of facts to meet a pre determined viewpoint on the other imo...although I apprecaite that accusation could also be laid at a lewis fan assuming that he's good enough for macca to want to keep him. I think that rating of Lewis is shared by most people within the sport though.

Now that the Lewis has made his decision, and has talked about it, perhaps we could consider the possibility that he really wanted to leave McLaren and that nothing they could do would induce him to stay. McLaren may not be to blame in all of this. Equally, Lewis is not to blame. Simply, the time had come for this to happen.

Advertisement

#1440 metz

metz

• 9,697 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 00:07

When I read the following in Autosport;

Niki Lauda is to join Mercedes in a management role as part of a renewed push by the German car manufacturer to win the championship after the arrival of Lewis Hamilton.

I realized that with Brawn, Lauda and Haug, Mercedes had more bosses than drivers.
I'm not sure more management is the answer. ):

#1441 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 00:32

"I think for Lewis it is a good thing to move on and for McLaren .... [Alain] Prost went out, [Ayrton] Senna, then it was me, now it's Lewis, and normally for a better life, for a good change.

funny he makes no reference to Kimi in the statement above....... :)

He did when talking to the Spanish press so I wouldn't read too much into it.

#1442 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,810 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:25

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1
#F1 Martin Whitmarsh tells BBC that Di Resta and Hulk were on list and McLaren 'could have got them if we wanted to'

#1443 SR388

SR388

• 3,750 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:08

What happens if Nico is in a position to win this season, but Lewis is in 2nd and he needs that win for the championship? Does Nico move over?

#1444 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,637 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:10

as a guess it wouldnt surprise me if perez was signed on a "we take you if lewis goes" sort of thing before lewis actually decided

#1445 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:11

What happens if Nico is in a position to win this season, but Lewis is in 2nd and he needs that win for the championship? Does Nico move over?

don't worry, will never happen

#1446 teejay

teejay

• 3,594 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:07

don't worry, will never happen

Grosjean and Pastor starting 8 and 9 could wipe out both red bulls jenson and kim into T1, leaving michael and nico to fight it out while lewis comes from last after some other "in hindsight" blunder by the team means he got pole but starts last.

#1447 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:04

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1
#F1 Martin Whitmarsh tells BBC that Di Resta and Hulk were on list and McLaren 'could have got them if we wanted to'

So one of those 2 will drive the second Ferrari.

#1448 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,763 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:32

When I read the following in Autosport;

Niki Lauda is to join Mercedes in a management role as part of a renewed push by the German car manufacturer to win the championship after the arrival of Lewis Hamilton.

I realized that with Brawn, Lauda and Haug, Mercedes had more bosses than drivers.
I'm not sure more management is the answer. ):

Don't forget Nick Fry...

#1449 apoka

apoka

• 3,487 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:30

So one of those 2 will drive the second Ferrari.

How do you come to that conclusion? It just means that FI gives them the freedom to go to a better team. But still, Ferrari needs to decide whether to keep Massa or sign Di Resta or Hulkenberg.

#1450 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:34

How do you come to that conclusion? It just means that FI gives them the freedom to go to a better team. But still, Ferrari needs to decide whether to keep Massa or sign Di Resta or Hulkenberg.

Remember what Ferrari said about Perez, before the McLaren deal becaome offical. I think this is kind of a "payback".