Photo

Lewis Hamilton confirmed at Mercedes for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1459 replies to this topic

#51 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 3,560 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:06

Well, I'm going to have a dandy time trying to get to sleep tonight...

Advertisement

#52 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:06

I guess Lewis really wanted those trophies.

#53 vivafroilan!

vivafroilan!

• 312 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:07

Hülkenberg would be a superb choice for McLaren imho.

+1!

#54 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:12

Sad thing - he'll not be getting his old trophies and it's going to be a while before he sees any new ones...

#55 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 366 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:15

Sources are saying McLaren are filling the gap with Perez. Funny because I heard most of the F1 journalists (Buxton, JA, Saward) say that such a deal would be next to impossible due to the Telmex/Vodafone clash.

Hulkenberg should be picked. He has an amazing pre-F1 record and I think is one of the fastest newcomers.

EDIT: One thing that worries me about this decision is how much XIX has had a say in it. I wouldn't care if Lewis was his own manager, or his dad, but considering that XIX would naturally want him to go to Mercedes makes me wonder if Lewis made the decision rationally or was pushed by his managers.

Edited by SUPRAF1, 28 September 2012 - 04:18.

#56 Igorr

Igorr

• 227 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:20

I dont think he's going to get any more with Merc to be honest :rotfl:

#57 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:25

Ferrari: Drivers drool at the thought of being able to drive for the scuderia.

McLaren: Best drivers in the world leave the team in disgust.

Ferrari are also able to fire drivers at will such as Prost, Raikkonen etc., too. :)

#58 Kyo

Kyo

• 856 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:29

Ferrari are also able to fire drivers at will such as Prost, Raikkonen etc., too. :)

See, Ferrari fire drivers, while drivers quits from McLaren! :p

#59 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,497 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:34

I think Perez to Mclaren.. look at Italian GP pre podium ... Phil trying to speak to Perez and Lewis seemingly getting in the way :)

Advertisement

#60 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:36

Oh dear, Perez on the move? Well we will wait and see. I am overjoyed if he would get a seat in a top car for next year. That would be all three of my drivers in for the money at 3 different top garages...fun stuff.

Now I just need Prost to hop back in an F1 car :D Well a dude can dream...

As for Lewis - he'll star wherever he goes, there is no question about that. He's always been a little warrior. I'm not a fan, but Lewis + Car is always a combination to worry about.

#61 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,881 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:38

What will be good about Lewis moving is that he's always dragged his car up the grid. He'll certainly put that Mercedes higher than where the current drivers are putting it. Just that extra edge.

#62 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:39

Now I just need Prost to hop back in an F1 car :D Well a dude can dream...

Prost To Drive Red Bull F1 Car-

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102874

:eek:

#63 tass

tass

• 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:41

Actually you sound very short sighted and to know very little

McLaren: Best drivers in the world leave the team in disgust. - Wanna be specific? Who exactly left in disgust? Alonso after he shafted the team, and...? I'd say the disgust was more than mutual.

Ferrari: Drivers drool at the thought of being able to drive for the scuderia. - Maybe for the past decade or so, but you obviously don't remember the period between 1984-1997 before they poached half the Benetton team (including lead driver)

So I do believe you talk sh*t, as for Rakaman...

I think you just made his point stronger.

Although between 1984-1998 Ferrari didn't win championships, Mansell, Prost and Schumacher joined the Scuderia, and also Senna wanted to drive for them.

#64 loki0420

loki0420

• 470 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:43

Will still wait for official release but otherwise damn you traitor Lewis.

#65 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:44

Will still wait for official release but otherwise damn you traitor Lewis.

That's the spirit!

#66 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,279 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:45

What will be good about Lewis moving is that he's always dragged his car up the grid. He'll certainly put that Mercedes higher than where the current drivers are putting it. Just that extra edge.

That extra edge that will allow a car that is already hard on tyres to somehow be easier on tyres with a much more aggressive driver. Sure thing.

Lewis will be in limbo as will Merc until 2014 comes along and the rules change and they have a shot like they did when they were Brawn.

#67 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:50

I think it will be good for Lewis in long term...:up:

hope to see Hulk or Perez in place for him...

Edited by aray, 28 September 2012 - 04:50.

#68 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:52

If true, this is the kind of decision that makes or breaks a drivers' career. I think Hamilton has "balls" to have made this decision to move to a midfield team which is always outdeveloped over the course of a season by teams around them.

I dont think Lewis of all people will fade away into limbo as some are suggesting here. From the day he has entered F1, I have always thought of him as a massive talent. Whether he is in a top tier or a midfield car, he will always make an impact IMO. I will be very interested to see him driving there, and I think this is where he will shine through the most and this is his chance prove a lot of his critics wrong, about him having everything handed to him on a platter.

Bring on 2013 !

Edited by SparkPlug, 28 September 2012 - 04:52.

#69 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 366 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:56

If true, this is the kind of decision that makes or breaks a drivers' career. I think Hamilton has "balls" to have made this decision to move to a midfield team which is always outdeveloped over the course of a season by teams around them.

Either that or he was duped into it by XIX. Hamilton has a huge amount of talent but mentally he's quite emotional compared to say Mark Webber (from what we've seen). It could have been easy for them to get into his head.

</conspiracy> :smoking:

#70 Rjpscr

Rjpscr

• 35 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:06

hope it works out for Lewis but but i think he has a better shot to try and win another title with Mclaren then at Mercedes but we shall see. if this is true

#71 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:30

That's a shame if true. I liked supporting an all British team.

But I can see this is a long term decision. All the crap the about XIX is just that. Lewis wants to win WDCs. He can't do that if he's not going to the coal face with a smile on his face, if you ask me. I think that has been a big motivator on this move, if you ask me. Not money or this 'brand' nonsense. That will come no matter what he does, and XIX are there to keep that moving forward.

#72 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:33

Di Resta > Hulkenberg

the former is more consistent, can deal with challenging for titles as he showed in DTM, has the same kind of style as Button and the same management, would be the most logical choice and keeps the all-British line-up, which has been successful for McLaren with Jenson and Lewis.

that said I won't believe any Hamilton story that doesn't have confirmation from Lewis himself.

#73 baddog

baddog

• 23,629 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:33

If true, I hope the team get what they deserve from it.

#74 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,998 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:39

Di Resta > Hulkenberg

Guess we'll soon find out if anybody at McLaren reads the Autosport driver ratings :lol:

#75 FSA

FSA

• 531 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:42

If it's true, this will be the decision that defines Hamilton's career, for better or worse. It'll either be a spectacular success or a miserable failure. Merc haven't shown a great deal since they arrived but that could all change in 2013. On the other hand the board of the company might tighten the purse strings and the team could stagnate. The Merc could be the best engine on the grid in 2014 or just the third best. It's gonna be very interesting to watch, that's for sure.

#76 Cesc

Cesc

• 940 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:46

Why does McLaren, as of lately, have such a difficult time holding on to great drivers?

Given the sensational engineering skills and resources of the team, I´m also quite amazed that they have so many difficulties handling drivers. And after all, this could be a sad end to the Hamilton-Alonso era. They could have tried to keep Alonso in the team which would have provided probably a lot of results but only a few years later and without too many success (yes, a championship and a few races won) the other guy leaves... That would leave McLaren in a difficult situation. Button is not the guy who can beat Vettel or Alonso in regularr basis, only Hamilton could.

#77 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,881 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:46

Di Resta is good but Hulkenberg is proving to be the better bet. Dont forget its his first year at FI and his first year on Pirelli's.

A Di Resta/Button line-up would be Mclaren's weakest in many years.

#78 anbeck

anbeck

• 2,036 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:49

Ok but don't tell Vettel.

He'll have a hard time concentrating on driving, because he's laughing so hard that Lewis is doing the Jax!

#79 dave34m

dave34m

• 509 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:51

Schumacher then to McLaren? Makes sense,

Really, that makes sense to you. Doesnt to me, the only place for Schumacher is retirement. I've enjoyed his comeback thou.

Advertisement

#80 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:54

Posted Image

Very harsh me thinks, as Mercedes 2014-16 has the potential to become Ferrari 2000-2004. Anyways, people cribbing about Hamilton going after the dollars really don't understand that every driver needs to make a decision, for better or for worse, at some point in their career. It's no point being dragged with a team just for emotional sakes.

A change is good, and Hamilton deserves some respect for jumping into the unknown, instead of sticking in his comfort zone and getting OLD.

#81 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:56

read this at 3 am on james allen twitter feed... couldnt sleep anymore. very excited.
this is good for lewis! he needs a fresh environment. mercedes will deliver. ross has been working to get things together. we know that in F1 it needs time.
look at red bull.. it took them several years to build the team.

also glad for perez to get his deserved shot in a top team.

#82 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:01

perez aint going to mclaren

#83 aray

aray

• 2,721 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:08

macca are spoiled with choices....perez,hulk or grosjean anybody would fit and be fast..

#84 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,197 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:09

I'm not sure why everyone's writing Lewis's career off. performance changes in teams as regulations change and personel changes. Who would have thought Red Bull would be so dominate several years ago after all, now they're one of the very front teams.

Even if Merc doesn't work out, Lewis is one of the best drivers on the grid. Did everyone write off Alonso after he left Mclaren to the less competitive Renault after left McLaren? Lewis is still pretty young, and has another 10 years or so in racing.

Whatever you do in life you've got to be happy (or at least not unhappy) doing it. At least Lewis is leaving the team which he's grown up in, and thats a fairly brave thing to do. He'll continue to grow.

Edited by Slackbladder, 28 September 2012 - 06:10.

#85 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:13

Lewis vs Rosberg will be interesting to see, it will be close between the two, closer than many think...and will also get Schumachers results in better light.

#86 BoozeBaron

BoozeBaron

• 232 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:15

I jumped off the LH bandwagon after his Monaco meltdown a few yrs ago... so all this doesn't bother me in the least - Glad I switched to JB ... as he's been fun to watch - Lewis is a great driver, no question, but this is the beginning of the end IMO -

That said, everyone will have an opinion on this one... esp. after the news is confirmed -

But 2 things do concern me - I think Nico R is a Top 5 driver... and if he can't make a Merc go, then LH won't be able to either... I think Lewis will end up in an Alonso type situation - where he's having to drive the car beyond it's limits to be competitive -

The other - is his replacement - Twitterland is ablaze this morning with confirmation from even Perez' father, that he's gone to Macca - (how that will work with Voda I dunno) - but seems everyone is calling that a done deal as well... I think he's a good driver - Top 15 - and will serve behind JB as a #2 well - but would rather see Kimi back there to end his F1 career....

Just my opinion, worth what it cost ya - nada....

Enjoy that $100M Lewis... Ppl will call you greedy and see this as a huge betrayal to the team (and people) who got you where you are today... (opportunity) - Uhm - and think they'd be right - You wish to keep trophies? Haha... Good luck with that... Think you've seen your last V8 trophy...

Guess I should look to the future now... Hulk? di Resta? Maybe I'll become a Vettel fan? ..... Nawwwww :-P

Edited by BoozeBaron, 28 September 2012 - 06:19.

#87 Antonov

Antonov

• 592 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:16

Raikkonen decision expected soon.

#88 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 741 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:16

Not bad for Alonso, Mclaren probably will be weaker, and Mercedes not competitive yet, at least for next season.
Not bad for Vettel too, he is going to be able to choose in 2014 if he stays in Red Bull, goes to Ferrari, or goes to Mclaren...

#89 Timstr11

Timstr11

• 7,956 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:17

I'm not sure why everyone's writing Lewis's career off. performance changes in teams as regulations change and personel changes. Who would have thought Red Bull would be so dominate several years ago after all, now they're one of the very front teams.

Even if Merc doesn't work out, Lewis is one of the best drivers on the grid. Did everyone write off Alonso after he left Mclaren to the less competitive Renault after left McLaren? Lewis is still pretty young, and has another 10 years or so in racing.

Whatever you do in life you've got to be happy (or at least not unhappy) doing it. At least Lewis is leaving the team which he's grown up in, and thats a fairly brave thing to do. He'll continue to grow.

:up: Fully agree.

#90 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:20

That's a shame if true. I liked supporting an all British team.

The badge on the engine is not very British.

You had your all British (ok, UK) team with Irvine and Herbert in a Jaguar-Cosworth. It wasn't a terribly good combination, I'm sorry to say.

:)

#91 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,557 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:21

I'm not sure why everyone's writing Lewis's career off.

Exhibit A:
Posted Image

That would be why. I recall Jacques being "politely asked to vacate" the team designed especially for him, to make room for Button and Honda favorite Sato -- only some 5 years after it's formation and the lofty expectations (it might have even been mid-season I can't remember).

Two Williams drives were available in 2005, a Renault one in 2005, a Ferrari one in 2006, a McLaren one in 2007 and Jacques was not considered for any of these, after I believe it was an off-the-pace showing in a substitution drive for Trulli at Renault that raised doubts in the minds of all the team principals (off the top of my head).

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 28 September 2012 - 06:26.

#92 NateF

NateF

• 1,066 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:21

As a McLaren and a Hamilton fan I am disappointed that they were unable to come to an agreement. I hope that Hamilton finds success in Mercedes quickly because whilst McLaren may not have a brilliant record compared to the nearest rivals for WDCs and WCCs in the last decade or so, they have at least provided race winning cars. Good luck to Hamilton and welcome Perez I guess

#93 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,388 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:22

MS should drive for McLaren for free and beat the Mercedes. I would love it.

#94 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,998 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:25

MS...drive...for free

Oxymoron ;)

#95 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,881 posts

he would of been a macca driver for 5 years, and merc is still in the family.

as for top talents leaving macca on not that great a terms, senna, prost, lauda?, kimi? deffo montoya, and alonso

#96 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 858 posts

https://twitter.com/...564332519919617 Perez to Mclaren according to journalist from Mexico.

#97 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:26

It went earlier than that when they refused to make him number 1 even though it was clear Button didn't have a chance. He probably already knows they don't have what it takes to win a tittle so long as the team gets run like a mobile phone company instead of a F1 team.

When did that affect anything?

#98 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:28

Mclaren probably will be weaker, and Mercedes not competitive yet, at least for next season.

Exactly. Good for Alonso, Vettel and ... Button.

#99 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:29

https://twitter.com/...564332519919617 Perez to Mclaren according to journalist from Mexico.

Good for him :) for McLaren it will be tough to have drivers who are slowish in qualifying, great in races but will see if it will be enough.

Advertisement

#100 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 278 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:31

How is this unofficial story any different from the others we have had since Spa?