Lewis Hamilton confirmed at Mercedes for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1459 replies to this topic

#401 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:08

Hamilton's decision to leave the fastest car on the grid and join the 5th fastest one

I thought the switch was for 2013 season, not effective immediately?

Or are you Mystic Meg?

Advertisement

#402 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:08

Guarantee within 2 years we'll be readying that Mercedes is pro German or Brawn hates Hamilton or something.

agree

#403 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:10

If theres one thing that we know about lewis, its that he's a fierce competitor, he loves to win.
If lewis has chosen to go to mercedes over staying at mclaren, then it must be becasue he feels he has a better chance of winning championships there.

I hope he's right

#404 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:10

Guarantee within 2 years we'll be readying that Mercedes is pro German or Brawn hates Hamilton or something.

I doubt it. Afterall Mercedes is a British team with a German name in reality. The board may reside in Germany but much of Hamilton's engineers, management staff are British. The engines are even British designed and manufactured with a german badge.

Saying all that, I don't think any team favours certain drivers based on nationality. They want the Mercedes name to be a winner at the end of the day and if Hamilton can deliver, he will be hugely popular in the boardroom in Germany.;)

#405 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 357 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:11

bit surprised this forum hasnt collapse yet with such a announcements-day

just kidding mates! ;)

I wish the best for LH, great driver and champion.

#406 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:11

TifosiMac

he's talking about the fans on this board......they will do the same complaining as they do know about Whitmarsh... and him not hugging Lewis enough

#407 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:13

If Drivers don't drool to race at McLaren they are silly. In the last 30 years, there have been 10 world Drivers championships for McLaren amongst 5 drivers (Lauda [1], Prost [3], Senna [3], Hakkinen [2] and Hamilton [1]. Ferrari? Drivers may drool - but in the same period, they have had 6 WDCs - amongst 2 drivers - Michael Schumacher [5] and Kimi Raikonnen [1] - and let's face it - KR had his WDC gift wrapped by the Ron Dennis/Alonso/de la Rosa/Hamilton mess at McLaren. There are probably 20 drivers on the grid who would happily hack their left b*****k off for that drive - the only ones who don't want it? Alonso - because he's happy where he is and has no great love of McL after 2007, Vettel, because, like Alonso he is probably better where he is (for now - but that could change) - Button - because he is already there and finally, Hamilton - don't ask me why. I think Hamilton would be crazy (or simply greedy?) to go to Mercedes.

Rubbish.

There's no logical basis to lump the past 30 years.

No comparison between the glorious years of Ron Dennis and the current tinpot dictator whitemarsh.

#408 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:13

Overall, I'm disappointed. I'd have preferred him to stay at McLaren.

On the plus side for him, though, I can see a new challenge being beneficial to him as a driver. Hopefully it brings out the best in him, and brings it out more consistently!

I also think that those writing off Mercs chances of building a WDC capable car are being a little hasty. I completely agree that it looks like the chances Merc do it look a decent amount smaller than the chances McLaren does it (which is why I'd prefer him to stay at McLaren). But to write it off completely seems a bit much to me.

From a neutral perspective, I think it's great. There's not been enough movement in the top teams in recent years and it's good to shake things up a bit.

#409 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:14

Lewis Hamilton confirmed at Mercedes for 2013

:clap:

Free at last.

Edited by jerriy, 28 September 2012 - 10:15.

#410 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:15

he's talking about the fans on this board......

:yawnface: You show me the driver who doesn't have some fans who say stupid things on this board and I'll show you a driver who hasn't been succesful! :D

#411 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:16

Martin Brundle just said on Sky Sports News that he had just had it confirmed to him that Lewis goes there as equal number 1.

So with no number 1 they are both number 2s?

Edited by JRizzle86, 28 September 2012 - 10:16.

#412 Massa

Massa

• 4,411 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:16

Hamilton's decision to leave the fastest car on the grid and join the 5th fastest one really encapsulates for me, the reason why he only has 1 title and has not delivered on his initial promise in 2007.

He doesn't have the mind or the attitude to be one of the greatest in this sport.

I don't see how he needs "a new challenge" when he hasn't met the existing one yet.

More of a Craig Bellamy than a Lionel Messi!

$$$!

It's nonscence. A new challenge because he is with Mclaren since so many years. He have to changed. It would be easy to stay demotivated, with the fastest car of the grid and take his $$$. But Hamilton take some risks.

It's like Schumacher with Ferrari. ferrari was nowhere, they were 1.5-2 second off the pace of Benneton and Williams.

Sorry for you if you don't see why he needs a new challenge, very sorry Stevie.

#413 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:17

:clap:

Free at last.

From Lewis..??

#414 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,534 posts

How many more Hamilton/Hamilton fan hating posts are you going to post? Stop being a bitter Button fan, be happy your man won't be beaten again next year.

I am having a lovely day, thanks. How's your's?
You're right Button won't be beaten next year by Hamilton in a Mercedes. That was his choice by the way. Same as Jensons set up choice was his. Suck it up.

#415 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Martin Brundle just said on Sky Sports News that he had just had it confirmed to him that Lewis goes there as equal number 1.

it would be foolish to designate one as clear number 1 before they actually race each other.

Especially as it has become clear Rosberg is no slouch.

#416 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:18

TifosiMac

he's talking about the fans on this board......they will do the same complaining as they do know about Whitmarsh... and him not hugging Lewis enough

Well there are plastic fans who like and dislike Lewis here. Its a shame we have to put up with it. :well:

#417 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,534 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:18

Raikkonen would have been a better choice for Mclaren. Perez is getting overhyped by people on this board,

Yeah, I'm sure MW consulted the Autosport BB, before signing Perez.

#418 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,534 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:19

And also reading Lewis Hamilton signs multi year deal to return to McLaren to partner Sergio Perez. Button off for a swansong at Ferrari/Red Bull.

Possible!

#419 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,328 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:20

What is "equal number 1" supposed to mean?

Advertisement

#420 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 2,509 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:21

Interesting development. :up:

What is "equal number 1" supposed to mean?

It's just a buzzword over- and misused by PR-people and 'journalists'. In other words; it's mostly nonsense.

Edited by Nonesuch, 28 September 2012 - 10:25.

#421 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,534 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:21

His idiotic management. They will destroy him, mark my words.

Incredibly stupid decision. I can't believe it.

XIX can be blamed to an extent. But would a driver of Senna-like focus have assigned themselves to a management company of such obvious agenda?!

#422 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:23

His idiotic management. They will destroy him, mark my words.

Incredibly stupid decision. I can't believe it.

I said it last year, he should have signed Mika as his manager! Why sign a company who has no idea about the sport you're involved in? Why not hire a manager who is twice world champion, knows the ins and outs, knows the technical side, the personal side etc etc, why choose a company who really doesn't care what you do as long as they get a bundle of cash? I dislike the Lewis Hamilton 'image' he tries to portray.

#423 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,534 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:24

I thought the switch was for 2013 season, not effective immediately?

Or are you Mystic Meg?

A bit pedantic.
As things are at the moment, that's what he's agreed to.
Yes I have no facts to know if that would still be the case in 6 months time.
I (and I suggest the Paddock) would expect something similar. Its not as if Mercs huge Singapore update was as impressive as Ferraris in Barcelona or McLaren's in Hungary...
I think a qualified guess is tolerable on the internet...!

#424 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,534 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:25

I doubt it. Afterall Mercedes is a British team with a German name in reality. The board may reside in Germany but much of Hamilton's engineers, management staff are British. The engines are even British designed and manufactured with a german badge.

Saying all that, I don't think any team favours certain drivers based on nationality. They want the Mercedes name to be a winner at the end of the day and if Hamilton can deliver, he will be hugely popular in the boardroom in Germany.;)

It was intentionally ludicrous. The point was I was guessing what the claims will be!

#425 devilstick

devilstick

• 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:27

In terms of Hamilton's legacy and the inevitable comparisons to other world champions, I think there always would have been a doubt had he driven his whole career at McLaren. Maybe he had in mind that all of the greats have won with multiple teams and we know he wants to be considered among that group.

Anyway change is good, as is seeing the British drivers spread out across different teams.

#426 as65p

as65p

• 17,787 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:28

Surely Benson received a message from the Merc press office to rebuke his baseless claim.

I find the bolded part pretty likely.

#427 wiry

wiry

• 158 posts

Was that list hand picked by Ron was it?

I am sure the list wasn’t compiled by Alan Henry, most probably he just wrote commentary on each driver, but they were ranked by Ronzo

#428 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

I think a qualified guess is tolerable on the internet...!

Present it like that and it will be tolerated. I expect something similar too. But I ain't presenting my qualified guess as fact and trying to rub people's noses in it. *shrug*

#429 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:29

From Lewis..??

Stop being facetious.

OF course I'm talking about Lewis being free from Whitemarsh. Free from having a (let's just stay polite and say) a "sightly less enthusiastic" boss.

There will be a more fairer competition in 2013 because just as Alonso, Vettel & co, Lewis will have enemies only outside of his garage.

Now Lew can rest assured and drive securely in the knowledge that his bosses Brown and Norbert Haug will be working 100% for him and not against him.

#430 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:30

It is probably a good time for him to go to Merc. The car might not be successful next year, but that will be a bedding in year. It will be a big adjustment for him as he has been with Mclaren for so long. The big one is the new rule changes in 2014. My reasoning would be that Merc and Ferrari might have the upper hand in understanding the engines and how to package it than the customer teams. It isn't a forgone conclusion, but if that does turn out to be the case, Lewis might be making the smartest move of his career.

It might all go wrong, but he is still young enough to drive elsewhere.

Good luck to him. :)

#431 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:31

Stop being facetious.

OF course I'm talking about Lewis being free from Whitemarsh. Free from having a (let's just stay polite and say) a "sightly less enthusiastic" boss.

There will be a more fairer competition in 2013 because just as Alonso, Vettel & co, Lewis will have enemies only outside of his garage.

Now Lew can rest assured and drive securely in the knowledge that his bosses Brown and Norbert Haug will be working 100% for him and not against him.

What a load of complete and utter BS.

#432 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 9,534 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:32

Present it like that and it will be tolerated. I expect something similar too. But I ain't presenting my qualified guess as fact and trying to rub people's noses in it. *shrug*

Eh?
I don't see why I should have to hind the fact I am delighted with this news - its not a funeral is it?!

It is possible that Mercedes will build a car quicker than everyone else and Hamilton will win 5 titles on the bounce. Chin up fella.

#433 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Stop being facetious.

I'm never facetious.

I think it is entirely relevant to say McLaren free of Lewis. The guy has undeniable baggage with his undeniable speed. Baggage that Mercedes will inherit.

You seriously think McLaren bosses worked against Lewis, now that is facetious.

#434 as65p

as65p

• 17,787 posts

From Lewis..??

As JA called it a few weeks ago "the pantomime of life with Lewis".  ;)

#435 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:35

Even if it don't work out it's only 3 years, and even then I bet there is a performance clause in year 2.
I think back when Alonso went back to Renault it was with no hope for 2 years. At least Hamilton has some hope at Merc and the big rule changes.
Time is on Hamilton's side, do not worry people, e.g Vettel is only 2 years younger, Schumacher won nothing for 5 years when he went Ferrari and left a dominant team for 2 successive years. Alonso hasn't won since 2006 when he left Renault.

I hope the wait is not as long as Schumacher and Alonso had, who at the time were crazy to leave their respective teams that just won back to back titles.

If you think about it, what Schumacher and Alonso did was far more risky because its stupid to leave a team that has given you WDC 2 years in a row. Hamilton is doing nothing like this.

Edited by ZooL, 28 September 2012 - 10:41.

#436 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,594 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:38

I really did not see that coming. He's been with McLaren for something like 15 years, made sure he had the best of everything when climbing the ranks, completely wrapped in wool when he got into F1 so even if he did anything wrong it went unpunished and had motivational pep talks with from Ron before the races. He was deeper in that team than any other employee in it's history, how can he just walk away when he owes them so much?

At least we will get to seem him in a somewhat struggling team now, it can be character building for most people and something sorely missed from his career.

#437 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:39

I don't see why I should have to hind the fact I am delighted with this news

Of course not.

But I'd recommend not presenting opinions as fact.

#438 man

man

• 1,302 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:40

Mercedes finally have a genuine number 1 world class driver fitting of their brand. For the first time this shows real intent from Merc. Nice to finally have another team in the mix.

#439 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,090 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:43

Mercedes finally have a genuine number 1 world class driver fitting of their brand. For the first time this shows real intent from Merc. Nice to finally have another team in the mix.

Michael Schumacher, a 7 times world champion was not a number one world class driver fitting of their brand??

Advertisement

#440 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:46

I really did not see that coming. He's been with McLaren for something like 15 years, made sure he had the best of everything when climbing the ranks, completely wrapped in wool when he got into F1 so even if he did anything wrong it went unpunished and had motivational pep talks with from Ron before the races. He was deeper in that team than any other employee in it's history, how can he just walk away when he owes them so much?

At least we will get to seem him in a somewhat struggling team now, it can be character building for most people and something sorely missed from his career.

How many more years in the addition to the 15 years he has already given of his life do you think he should sacrifice?

Do you think a total of 20 years would be enough? :lol:

Why do people treat Lewis differently in this regard from other F1 drivers who routinely leave teams, even worse from those that have just given a WDC?

Edited by ZooL, 28 September 2012 - 10:48.

#441 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:47

Michael Schumacher, a 7 times world champion was not a number one world class driver fitting of their brand??

They want to sell more cars to the young people.

Michael already won over the customers who are into mixing up the gas and brake pedals.

It's a cunning plan.

#442 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:48

You're right Button won't be beaten next year by Hamilton in a Mercedes. That was his choice by the way. Same as Jensons set up choice was his. Suck it up.

That statement might just come back and bite you

#443 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:49

how can he just walk away when he owes them so much?

How much did Alonso owe Renault and Briatore by the end of 2006? I'd say nothing: they gave him his chance, but he repaid them by being the driver they'd hoped for him to be.

I'd say the same for Hamilton. Yes, he owed McLaren but he repaid them during his time at the team.

Teams move on from drivers, drivers move on from teams. It's F1. Nobody owes anyone anything other than what they've signed a contract for.

#444 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:51

Never say never, because Rosberg is almost managing it and the 2 cars are opposite ends of the spectrum right now.

Button 119 pts
Rosberg 93 pts.

Edited by ZooL, 28 September 2012 - 10:51.

#445 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 927 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:51

Oh god, I'm so gutted right now. Lewis will end up in Nirvana next season, why should someone leave McLaren, when they have the best car?! Ferrari, Red Bull or even Lotus, ok, But MGP?? If that's the result of Fuller & Co.... His management is a complete joke seriously. I'm actually more of a Team than a Driver's fan, but to lose Lewis is really bad for McLaren.

#446 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:52

I really did not see that coming. He's been with McLaren for something like 15 years, made sure he had the best of everything when climbing the ranks, completely wrapped in wool when he got into F1 so even if he did anything wrong it went unpunished and had motivational pep talks with from Ron before the races. He was deeper in that team than any other employee in it's history, how can he just walk away when he owes them so much?[...]

It wasn't a life contract. He didn't sell his eternal soul to Ron Dennis in exchange for a WDC. At least i think he didn't.

#447 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:53

That statement might just come back and bite you

Right now, despite all the Mercedes problems, Button is just ahead of Rosberg in the standings.

So +1 to you.

#448 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,377 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:54

Hmmm I don't have to think for too long before I decide whether the German, 7 time World Champion, Former Mercedes Sportscar driver and the most publiscised comeback in recent history was either world class or 'fitting' for Mercedes... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd also mention that saying Mercedes have shown real intent for the first time would be a bit disrespectful of both their company and Messrs Fangio and Moss...

#449 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:55

Oh god, I'm so gutted right now. Lewis will end up in Nirvana next season, why should someone leave McLaren, when they have the best car?! Ferrari, Red Bull or even Lotus, ok, But MGP?? If that's the result of Fuller & Co.... His management is a complete joke seriously. I'm actually more of a Team than a Driver's fan, but to lose Lewis is really bad for McLaren.

His management XIX did confirm that they will bring in the contract offers but it is Hamilton's final decision. I think XIX have done a brilliant job in negotiation and getting the teams to raise their offers.

#450 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:56

...There is no doubt, though, that Hamilton’s rejection, particularly after McLaren returned more than once in recent weeks with improved deals, reportedly matching Mercedes’ offer, will come as a bitter blow to the team who nurtured the 27 year-old from young karter to F1 world champion....

http://www.telegraph...-year-deal.html

Is this British tabloid story true? Was McLaren's last couple of (revised) offers truly higher than the original "reduced salary" contract that they first offered? I wanna see the numbers and so see the difference between the original and subsequent offers.

Oh another good news: Lew is taking the engine with him (one other thing will be finished at the end of this year for McLaren: the Mercedes long term supply contract).

From next year on Merc will charge them high for it :clap:

Edited by jerriy, 28 September 2012 - 11:02.