Sergio Perez confirmed at McLaren for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
437 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:13

For those who want to discuss it, or haven't spotted it, a lot of media now reporting that Sergio Perez will join McLaren next year. :) I'm a great fan of Perez's, so very pleased to hear this. :up:

Hamilton to Mercedes discussion here: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=174806
Telmex/Vodafone discussion here: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=174818

Thanks guys. :)

Advertisement

#2 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:15

I'm equally satisfied that we won't see di Resta at McLaren. Happy for Checo. I hope he will be better, be grown as a solid racing driver.

On a different note, I am shocked Ferrari hadn't put a blocking article to his contract preventing him to go any rival team.

#3 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:16

Good luck to him. The driver market had threatened to become so stagnant with yet another year of stability at the top teams that I'm just glad to see some fresh blood in one of the front running cars. It always adds interest.

#4 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:18

Whooooooooohooooooooooooo for Checo if it is true!! :D

It was only a matter of time of course, but I am so very happy it is McLaren and not Ferrari - well - there is nothing more to say. :D!! He is young - but he will make an awesome champion one day, I have been certain of this since his he began. Course these days they make champion quite a lot earlier than they used to, moving up quicker and so forth. I foresee 3 WDC drivers in hand before long - even if this hot rumor isn't true, it will happen soon for him anyway, he's just that good.

GO CHECO GO!!!

#5 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:19

I'm equally satisfied that we won't see di Resta at McLaren. Happy for Checo. I hope he will be better, be grown as a solid racing driver.

On a different note, I am shocked Ferrari hadn't put a blocking article to his contract preventing him to go any rival team.

Maybe Ferrari had such a clause in the contract, but with Vetel signed for 2014 and Alonso staying until he retires, they have no seat for Checo until 2016 or something. So they did let him go. There is no reason he can not do 3 years at Macca and then join Ferrari and he will be better after 3 years in a Mclaren than after 3 more years at Sauber.

#6 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:20

All the best to Perez if it turns out true! Will be supporting him big time next year :up:

#7 DarkknightRises

DarkknightRises

• 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:21

it wont matters..carlos slim will bring it onto the court..or even bought out the whole maranello~~ no1 can stop perez LOL

#8 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:21

satisfied that we won't see di Resta at McLaren.

this :clap:

#9 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:22

I'm supprised as I thought di Resta was sure thing. Good for Perez I think. I suppose he will start beating Button half way into next season

#10 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:23

I think Perez, Hulkenberg, Di Resta seem pretty equal at this point. I would have considered the FI drivers to be more likely choices, because of Perez' Ferrari connections. That pretty much shows that there is a strong connection between this move and Vettel to Ferrari in 2014.

#11 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:24

this :clap:

On the one hand, I would like to see Perez competing with Alonso, on the other he might have played #2 role as Massa, which would be awful experience. All in all, happy for Checo. Guess I'll start supporting him now :love:

#12 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:26

On the one hand, I would like to see Perez competing with Alonso, on the other he might have played #2 role as Massa, which would be awful experience. All in all, happy for Checo. Guess I'll start supporting him now :love:

Perez won't play

#13 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

I think that Perez is a bit overrated. But we'll see next season how he compares to Button.

Intrestingly, McLaren have now two same kind of drivers: not-so-good qualifiers and good on managing tyres.

#14 Showty

Showty

• 2,181 posts

Really want to see the terms of the agreement since he´s a Ferrari driver, he has even being driving in the simulator in Maranello last week.

La información ha sido confirmada por UNO Noticias, propiedad de Grupo Carso, subsidiaria de la escudería Telmex, patrocinadora del piloto mexicano, y ahora se especula que Esteban Gutiérrez podría ocupar la plaza vacante que deja Checo Pérez con el equipo Sauber, lo cual haría que México tuviera dos pilotos en la Fórmula 1 en el 2013.

It has being already confirmed by Uno Noticias, directly related with Telmex.

#15 rentonB

rentonB

• 189 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:28

Im quite surprised Perez got McL seat, sometimes he has great races yes but i doubt he will be the perfect replacement for Hamilton. I have nothing against to prove im wrong.
But as Sergio, i would pick McLaren seat also rather than be Alonso's dog.

#16 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 553 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:28

Could be part of Ferrari's long term plan, send him off to McLaren to gain the experience he needs if their 2014 solution doesn't work or come the end of 2016 when Fernando retires. Perez will be ready and Ferrari will sweep in and take him.

#17 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:29

Perez won't play #2 to Alonso, and Ferrari knows that. He's no small number with his huge financial backing, and I guess that's why Ferrari didn't want to risk the peace in Fernandos happy world.

#18 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:31

There's no need to when they only want him as an Alonso replacement. Alonso won't retire in the next few years anyway.

#19 P123

P123

• 23,878 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:32

Good luck to Perez, but I think he may be another Heikki. Very quick on his day, but also inconsistant. Perhaps one of the biggest positives he brings to McLaren may be some sponsorship dollars. Kimi would have been a safer choice.

Advertisement

#20 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:34

Perez won't play #2 to Alonso, and Ferrari knows that. He's no small number with his huge financial backing, and I guess that's why Ferrari didn't want to risk the peace in Fernandos happy world.

Or maybe you are clueless and Ferrari already have they driver lineup set for 2014, hence they will not sign a young driver for one year, and Perez will not accept it either :wave:

#21 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:34

Perez has a car which is excellent on tires. That's about it. Probably McLaren is entering its darkest times since Senna left the team in 1993. But at least then they had the potential with Mika.

#22 LB

LB

• 13,561 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:35

Good luck to Perez, but I think he may be another Heikki. Very quick on his day, but also inconsistant. Perhaps one of the biggest positives he brings to McLaren may be some sponsorship dollars. Kimi would have been a safer choice.

You made me splutter coffee all over my keyboard, cheers. On every sentence...

Happy for Perez, bit upset its not DiResta but I can see a Perez/DiResta partnership soon

#23 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:35

Or maybe you are clueless and Ferrari already have they driver lineup set for 2014, hence they will not sign a young driver for one year, and Perez will not accept it either :wave:

Yup, maybe ;)

#24 Torsion

Torsion

• 627 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:43

Nonsense. Checo is a young gun, just hasn't had the guns to make it overt yet. Similar to Seb in the STRF or Kimi in the Sauber or Alonso in his Minardi. Just u wait sunshine.

I think the question is not really about Sergio (as he is probably at least as good as, or even better than all the second drivers in the list) - so the question is more about how strong would Jenson be in leading the team, compared to lets say Alonso, Vettel, Lewis and Kimi.

Edit: Moved from the Lewis to Mercedes thread.

Edited by Torsion, 28 September 2012 - 07:44.

#25 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:43

Perez is good but don't think he is a Macca type of driver..

I'd go for Hulk.. or any finnish driver, even Kova maybe.

#26 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:45

Heikki was never quick. Perez is more similar to Vettel in 2008.

#27 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:45

I think the question is not really about Sergio (as he is probably at least as good as, or even better than all the second drivers in the list) - so the question is more about how strong would Jenson be in leading the team, compared to lets say Alonso, Vettel, Lewis and Kimi.

Edit: Moved from the Lewis to Mercedes thread.

JB will be fine - he showed in 09 that he can cope with all the pressure in the world when it needed. Just give a bloody balanced car.

#28 P123

P123

• 23,878 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:46

He's no Vettel. But I hope to be proved wrong.

#29 H0R

H0R

• 4,084 posts

Perfect, simply perfect. I'm ecstatic if this turns out true.

#30 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Perez is good but don't think he is a Macca type of driver..

I'd go for Hulk.. or any finnish driver, even Kova maybe.

What the point in choosing a driver by nationality? Maybe McLaren should sign Santa? Who is more finnish than him?

#31 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:48

I think that Perez is a bit overrated. But we'll see next season how he compares to Button.

Intrestingly, McLaren have now two same kind of drivers: not-so-good qualifiers and good on managing tyres.

3 podium finishes this year? or more? and overrated?

#32 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:49

the great thing about Perez is that he hasnt blossomed yet... and he is a calm and humble guy. Watch out Jenson.

#33 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

What the point in choosing a driver by nationality? Maybe McLaren should sign Santa? Who is more finnish than him?

I never choosed a driver by nationality. It just came so that Mclaren was doing great only with a specific type of drivers - calm, concentrated, intelligent and modest ehough. The only exception in a recent times was Senna but hey.. that is Senna :)

#34 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

The C31 is the best car Sauber has ever built, let's not forget that.

#35 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,972 posts

can this be the first sign, that mclaren is maybe not so economically strong since they take in Perez and his "money" Perez is ok, but :|

#36 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,266 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:51

Ive no issue with Perez replacing Hamilton - however I dont want Perez unless all Ferrari ties are severed. If he has severed them, great news IMHO McLaren have a top line driver of the future coming in:)

#37 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:53

I never choosed a driver by nationality. It just came so that Mclaren was doing great only with a specific type of drivers - calm, concentrated, intelligent and modest ehough. The only exception in a recent times was Senna but hey.. that is Senna :)

calm, modest - Lewis?
intelligent - Kimi?

:lol:

#38 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:53

can this be the first sign, that mclaren is maybe not so economically strong since they take in Perez and his "money" Perez is ok, but :|

Checo's money is bonus that comes with great driver, something like Santander and Alonso.

#39 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:55

Not signing Hamilton = 20mil saved
Signing Perez = 15mil (guess) gained with Telmex

Net gain = 35mil

Not bad.............................................as long as Perez delivers...

Advertisement

#40 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:56

note that Autosport has the Hamilton report but mentions nothing of Checo.

#41 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,267 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:56

calm, modest - Lewis?
intelligent - Kimi?

:lol:

1. Nope. And so they screwed a lot of chances together, didn't they?
2. Yep, Kimi was a perfect suit for Macca at the times - Mika (and Ron) didn't mistake about him. The reliablity of Newey cars was the only issue.

#42 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:59

Official - https://twitter.com/...591370802855936

http://www.f1fanatic...milton-mclaren/

#43 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:59

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1
Perez confirmed at McLaren

#44 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:00

Perez takes place of Mercedes-bound Hamilton at McLaren

Sergio Perez will drive for McLaren in 2013, the team has confirmed.

Perez will take the place of Lewis Hamilton, who is widely believed to be about to confirm a move to Mercedes.

A trio of podium finishes in his second season so far has marked Perez out as a driver of the future.

“I’m thrilled and delighted to have become a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver,” said Perez.

“The McLaren name is one of the greatest in the history of Formula 1. For more than 40 years McLaren has been a team that every racing driver has aspired to drive for – I was brought up on the great stories of Ayrton Senna’s many world championship triumphs for McLaren – and I’m truly honoured that they’ve chosen me to partner Jenson from 2013 onwards.”

That's it...

#45 Vickyy

Vickyy

• 191 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:01

Good for Perez :up: although I still find him little overrated, will be his true test in Mclaren.
But I am equally perplexed by such negativity for Diresta on this forum, when some singled out Di resta for not being selected, why he deserve this much of hate.

#46 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:01

Omg Ferrari, what did you do :down: :down: let this talent go

#47 SNiko

SNiko

• 1,079 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:02

Lee McKenzie ‏@LeeMcKenzieF1
So McLaren confirm Sergio Perez on a multi year deal.

#48 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:03

Yup - And Kimi in 2003. :up:

Sergio Perez will drive for McLaren in 2013, the team has confirmed.

Perez will take the place of Lewis Hamilton, who is widely believed to be about to confirm a move to Mercedes.

A trio of podium finishes in his second season so far has marked Perez out as a driver of the future.

“I’m thrilled and delighted to have become a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes driver,” said Perez.

“The McLaren name is one of the greatest in the history of Formula 1. For more than 40 years McLaren has been a team that every racing driver has aspired to drive for – I was brought up on the great stories of Ayrton Senna’s many world championship triumphs for McLaren – and I’m truly honoured that they’ve chosen me to partner Jenson from 2013 onwards.”

Perez added: “I’d like to thank Carlos Slim Jr, who has helped me since I was 14 years old, without whom I wouldn’t be where I am today.

“Our journey together over the past eight years has been an incredible one, and I’ll do everything in my power to deliver with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes the results that he and I have been working so hard and so long to achieve together.

“As I say, I’ve worked very hard to get to this stage in my career, and I’m now massively looking forward to this next even more exciting stage. It’s fantastic that all the sacrifices I’ve made are now paying off.

“For example, I remember very clearly the first day I left my family, when I was 15, to live in Germany to race in Formula BMW. It was tough for me – I was sleeping in a restaurant at that time – but the dream of one day becoming a Formula 1 driver kept me going through those difficult days.

“Finally, I’d like to thank my beloved family, who’ve encouraged me at every turn, and last but far from least the people of Mexico, my home country, whose magnificent support I’ll do my very best to reward with future successes with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.”

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: “On behalf of everyone at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, I’m delighted to welcome Sergio on board. His performances throughout 2012 have convinced us that he’s an extremely exciting prospect for the future.

“It was a string of giant-killing performances, a trio of podiums and a brilliant fastest lap in this year’s Monaco Grand Prix that showed us that Sergio lacks nothing in terms of speed and commitment.

“We’ve been monitoring his progress carefully for some months – and, now that he’s become part of the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team, our task will be to refine and develop his abilities as his career progresses over the coming years.

“Uniting Sergio alongside Jenson will give us a very broad base of driver ability. Jenson is one of motorsport’s greatest ambassadors, and his unique blend of prodigious speed and canny race-craft makes him formidably well-armed to fight for victory on any Grand Prix circuit in the world. While Sergio is still developing his palette of skills, we’re convinced that he’s not only talented and quick, but also that he’s willing and eager to learn.”

“He’s perfectly poised to develop into a world championship challenger. His addition to the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team provides us with the perfect two-pronged driver line-up for the new season.”

Whitmarsh also paid tribute to his outgoing driver: “Finally, it’s entirely appropriate that I should take this opportunity to pass on our thanks to Lewis. He wrote a huge chapter of his life and career with us, and was, and always will be, a fine member of an exclusive club: the McLaren world champions’ club.

“It goes without saying that we all wish him well for the future, just as it also goes without saying that we hope and believe that Sergio, too, will become a member of that exclusive club before too long.”

http://www.f1fanatic...milton-mclaren/

W00t!!!!! You Go Checo! I can't believe I will be adding Macca back into the fold of cheers, lol. The circle never ends....although it has begun again...

Edited by bourbon, 28 September 2012 - 08:06.

#49 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:03

Good luck Perez! :)

#50 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:04

I will be honestly supporting McLaren with Jenson and Sergio next year :up: