Photo

Sergio Perez confirmed at McLaren for 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
437 replies to this topic

#101 CSF

CSF

• 51 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:00

Two things, loving that McLaren out placed Merc, and also loving the likes of Will Buxton's reaction. For someone "in the know" he looks a little silly.

Advertisement

#102 sock22

sock22

• 406 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:01

Wow, I wake up to all of this news. The silly season just got real!

#103 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:02

Can I just say, as a person with a 'thing' for drivers helmets, I am almost certain, Sergio will have to drastically change his before he races at mclaren. Seeya Bell, Hello Arai, and the livery of the helmet will also change, im excited to see how it will turn out!

One of the exciting things for next season! I prefer his 2011 helmet to this season, hopefully he goes towards that.

#104 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 297 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:07

I am delighted.

When Lewis first arrived into F1; uncomplicated, wide-eyed, abundantly talented and 'living the dream', he was a tonic for the entire sport and I was a fan from the start.

However, over time, the boy has grown into a very complicated piece of work.

In my eyes he nowadays emanates this surly streetwise 'tough guy kind of personality - which is fine I guess if your young life has been lived out in an environment where 'respect' and survival relies on your tough guy reputation, but that's certainly not been the case for Lewis. I personally don't have much truck with that and as a result, my support for him has waned. I wish I had his problems.

I think his departure will lift spirits all-round at McLaren and despite the gesture of raising their offer to Lewis, I believe that if Sergio really does 'have it', and I think he does, then McLaren have got the best possible result out of all parties involved. At this point in time, it looks like a win-win for the team, and I am so pleased to see that.

I really hope Sergio doesn't become all precious about himself as he matures (but there's no outward sign of that type of trait in him) and that he has a long and highly successful career at McLaren.

I would like to wish Lewis the very best in his future, but I'm really glad he's going, and taking his bad boy attitude with him. I also think he's made a colossal mistake if he wants to be remembered for his multiple WDCs, but it sure looks like it's much more about the money than the success. Anyway, who can say for sure right now - maybe he will be in the hottest seat come 2014, but maybe he won't....

Bring on 2013!

#105 H0R

H0R

• 782 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:09

Hell yeah! Welcome Checo!!!

#106 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:28

Perez is a great fit for McLaren at the moment - with a similar driving style to Button. McLaren can now cater their car to Button's driving tastes without having to worry about Hamilton, and remember with a car that suited his style more, Button beat Hamilton in 2010.

For next year, Button certainly could recapture that form. Also I agree with the posts above, that Hamilton leaving McLaren will allow the team to almost 'breathe' again, almost like when a talismanic player leaves a team in football: Van Persie has left Arsenal and the actual team now looks better all round as a result.

#107 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:29

Why don't you try ro read before you post.

Calm = win. Aggressive and crazy mad = fail. It failed with Monty, now it fails with Lewis.

I am sorry, it was just a lighthearted comment.

Nevertheless, you may need to ellaborate a bit more about how Kimi was more successful at McLaren than Hamilton.

And as far as calm and relaxed, you would be hard pressed to find a better example than Heikki Kovalainen. And I doubt that anyone would consider his stay at McLaren as a success.

IMO, McLaren has always had a problem at personnel management, with calm drivers and with aggressive ones.

#108 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 296 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:30

Try to think more global.

Macca invested their life in Lewis, dragged him through the series from what, 13 y/o? He was genious, but have brough only 1 title (let's not talk about details, the fact is that it was only 1 title in 6 years with him onboard) and became a real pain in the @ss with his mental doubts, fashion life style and so on. The biggest investment gone complitely wrong and Ron must be pissed off to the bones with that.

Macca just don't cope with so self-oriented persons. Do they?

I'm sorry but it is bullshit. There was only one season when the blame for losing title should be laid on Lewis. I support the Team since 88 and there's no way I change my priorities but we should be honest and admit that there were team's faults in 2007 and 2009. And if Lewis didn't win WDC this year only Team would be the ones to blame.

#109 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,184 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:35

how is it a blow for them? They didn't think he was ready, McLaren did. It's not like they can stick him in a pickle jar to mature till Luca thinks he's ready :)

What people say and what people really think has never matched up.

#110 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,012 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:37

I am sorry, it was just a lighthearted comment.

Nevertheless, you may need to ellaborate a bit more about how Kimi was more successful at McLaren than Hamilton.

And as far as calm and relaxed, you would be hard pressed to find a better example than Heikki Kovalainen. And I doubt that anyone would consider his stay at McLaren as a success.

IMO, McLaren has always had a problem at personnel management, with calm drivers and with aggressive ones.

Maybe that is the truth. But you may wonder why some drivers had no issues (visible) where the others just didn't perform at their best.

I believe that Hamilton is a unique driver. But he barely performed as well as he did in 07, when he was a "clean" person with zero ambitions and Nicole off the board.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 28 September 2012 - 09:38.

#111 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:39

Well from the first view it really looks like a weak line-up. But I think (and hope) we should prepare ourselfs for a big big positive surprises in 2013.

Other than Senna & Maldonado (I believe Delarosa to still have quality, despite Kat being naff), I am of the belief that there are no other 'weak' pair ups in F1.

#112 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:40

What people say and what people really think has never matched up.

If Luca wanted Perez he could easily tie him up in a contract and pay Sauber to run him for 2-3 years. 6 months ago.

#113 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,907 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:44

I'm equally satisfied that we won't see di Resta at McLaren. Happy for Checo. I hope he will be better, be grown as a solid racing driver.

On a different note, I am shocked Ferrari hadn't put a blocking article to his contract preventing him to go any rival team.

Rival-team is basically every other team, if you give it some thought.

I have no idea what to expect from him at McLaren.

#114 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,011 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:49

If Luca wanted Perez he could easily tie him up in a contract and pay Sauber to run him for 2-3 years. 6 months ago.

This is just the thing. Ferrari have all the data regarding Perez and if he were that good I don't think they'd let him slip through their fingers this easily.

McLaren have lost a great driver and replaced him with a, IMO, a mediocre one. The winner in all this Is Button... I think he is going to school Perez.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong but I doubt I am.

#115 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,083 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:49

Mixed feelings but what a hell, it´s time for new chapter! Welcome to McLaren SP! I hope you will enjoy your time with McLaren and to be even more successful then Lewis. :)

#116 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:50

Was hoping for a comeback from Raikkonen..

#117 Massa

Massa

• 4,330 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:50

This is just the thing. Ferrari have all the data regarding Perez and if he were that good I don't think they'd let him slip through their fingers this easily.

McLaren have lost a great driver and replaced him with a, IMO, a mediocre one. The winner in all this Is Button... I think he is going to school Perez.

It's too harsh. He is a good driver.

#118 Burtros

Burtros

• 1,017 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:51

The Di Resta hate on here is totally misplaced. Hes a good driver who would have deserved a drive at McLaren.

However, Perez is the cream of the crop IMHO.

This is a great signing by McLaren, I will not miss Hamilton one jot in light of this. Looking forward to 2013 now, new drive in the team and the one with a flase sense of entitlement consigned to history.

#119 F1FAN013

F1FAN013

• 120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:52

Good luck to Perez. I hope everything works out for him. He's skills will improve greatly working with a team like Mclaren. He does have WDC potential imo.

Advertisement

#120 rodlamas

rodlamas

• 8,047 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:54

I wonder how Lewis will feel if Mclaren produces a dominant car next year. Something I'm certain Mercedes won't do until 2014.

#121 F1FAN013

F1FAN013

• 120 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:55

Perez is definitely not a mediocre driver. I think it will be a good battle with Button next season. Everyone wrote off Button when he joined Mclaren. Perez has great potential at such a young age.

#122 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:57

Weren't we all!

#123 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:58

I think you might want to prepare your Crow eating utensils next season.

#124 bauss

bauss

• 5,037 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:01

People are being snide about LH departing, talking as if Perez is close to being like for like....

he is a good racing driver, but from what I can see... very similar to JB... except JB is better at being JB than him...

JB is the big winner, has McLaren all to himself, should dominate Perez in qualy and race.

Only way McLaren won't regret handling this differently is if they build rocketships for 2013 and beyond....which JB will need going toe to toe with others for the WDC.

The biggest winners it looks though are Alonso and Vettel, the LH - McLaren combo is gone.

#125 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:03

Interesting move, a bit similar to when they signed Räikkönen 11 years back. The problem for McLaren is though, that Pérez has been outqualified by Kobayashi and Button is no qualifier either so they will struggle to reach the first two rows next season unless they build a rocketship.

Above all good news for Ferrari that Hamilton goes to Mercedes. They're far less consistent than McLaren and have a lot to show for. I still believe Hamilton will outqualify Button and Pérez next year, but they have perennial tyre wear issues.

Now Vettel to Ferrari please and the puzzle is complete :kiss:

#126 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:04

I'm pleased for Perez. I think he's done enough to gain a top seat. The opportunities for a young driver to step up have been limited in recent seasons (and the number of young drivers who deserve the opportunity have also been limited!), so it's good to see an opportunity arrive at the time a deserving driver has arrived.

A good move for McLaren, too, IMO. In Button they have a proven vet who, if the car can fight for the WDC, will be in the mix. With Perez they get to find out if they have one of the next stars of the sport. And if the numbers on sponsorship that Perez can bring are to be believed, it's a big help financially (which nowadays, even for the big teams, is an issue).

So congrats all round to McLaren and Perez. Overall, I'm sad Hamilton hasn't stayed, but given his decision I think McLaren have made the right choice.

#127 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:05

If they have Vettel locked up for 2014, I can see why they'd let him slip through even if the data says he's good.

#128 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,083 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:06

People are being snide about LH departing, talking as if Perez is close to being like for like....

he is a good racing driver, but from what I can see... very similar to JB... except JB is better at being JB than him...

JB is the big winner, has McLaren all to himself, should dominate Perez in qualy and race.

Only way McLaren won't regret handling this differently is if they build rocketships for 2013 and beyond....which JB will need going toe to toe with others for the WDC.

The biggest winners it looks though are Alonso and Vettel, the LH - McLaren combo is gone.

I'm saying this all the time. I couldn't agree more!

#129 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:06

I do think qualifying will now be a more painful experience for McLaren without Hamilton's ability to pull it out of the bag given his exceptional qualities, but consistency is king as McLaren are discovering this season after several DNF's.

I wonder how much knowledge sharing wil happen in McLaren with Lewis to prevent secrets leaking to Mercedes.

Edited by rabbitleader, 28 September 2012 - 10:08.

#130 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,554 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:13

I do think qualifying will now be a more painful experience for McLaren without Hamilton's ability to pull it out of the bag given his exceptional qualities, but consistency is king as McLaren are discovering this season after several DNF's.

I wonder how much knowledge sharing wil happen in McLaren with Lewis to prevent secrets leaking to Mercedes.

Good point, and I expect Button to get the best of everything for the rest of this season. I think Perez is a great signing for McLaren - it has certainly buffered the dissapointment of Lewis leaving.

#131 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,011 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:19

If they have Vettel locked up for 2014, I can see why they'd let him slip through even if the data says he's good.

But they could have tied him up and they didn't. Anyway, I'm convinced that Vettel will partner Alonso from 2014 onwards.

#132 devilstick

devilstick

• 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:21

Good signing for Mclaren, probably the best replacement they could have got assuming Kimi is off the table. Also good to see a young driver performing well who gets rewarded with a drive in a top car, I think Perez has shown himself to be the cream of the next generation and may well match (or beat!) Button next year. If that happens I guess Button slides back into a Webber role of "I'm a number one driver, really I am".

#133 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:22

Or maybe you are clueless and Ferrari already have they driver lineup set for 2014, hence they will not sign a young driver for one year, and Perez will not accept it either :wave:

Quite

#134 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:24

Good point, and I expect Button to get the best of everything for the rest of this season. I think Perez is a great signing for McLaren - it has certainly buffered the dissapointment of Lewis leaving.

Indeed the best new talent on the grid is far and few between but anyone is it, it is Perez. He has shown talent in a car that doesn't deserve it, a good sign of a great driver. Not to mention he will be a bargain for McLaren and not bring any baggage with him.

#135 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:30

I wonder if his engineer will tag along with him....

#136 davejb

davejb

• 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:31

Really glad to see this. I've enjoyed watching Perez a whole lot this year and I'm keen to see if he can follow through with a top-tier car. Looking forward to seeing him take a race win, this year would be lovely - but next year will do just fine.

#137 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 915 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:32

I'd imagine Checo will play a supporting role to Button at first with the promise that he will get equal/priority treatment in 2014 onwards as Button winds down his career in a supportive role.

#138 ATM_Andy

ATM_Andy

• 1,482 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:33

Really excited!!

#139 gd2

gd2

• 135 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:35

Weird choice, I think he's been flattered by the Sauber. Then again some needed Mexican money probably follows and that along with the saving over Lewis will pay for those Mercedes engines but losing Lewis may hit the Santander money! Di Resta would have been my choice.

Advertisement

#140 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:35

Really excited!!

Me too, Andy. Excellent decision! :smoking:

#141 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,012 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:36

Really excited!!

:up:

#142 SR388

SR388

• 3,857 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:37

First North American since Michael Andretti!!! Big shoes to fill!!! :kiss:

#143 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:38

I wonder if Perez remains a Ferrari Academy driver? :D

Maybe if McLaren does a decent enough job of developing Checo, they might even get a discount coupon for some Ferrari engines somewhere down the line?

Just like McLaren did for Mercedes, just backwards.. LOL

#144 as65p

as65p

• 17,352 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:40

Really excited!!

More about what, over something coming, or something going?  ;)

#145 03011969

• 499 posts

This going to be strange. I quite like Button and I quite like Perez, but could never bring myself to like McLaren, and for the first time I dislike a team that Brawn runs.

At least there is no problem in liking Alonso and Ferrari, so I guess all my affections go to them now.

Edited by 3011969, 28 September 2012 - 10:41.

#146 f1rules

f1rules

• 4,450 posts

Really excited!!

i wish i had your enthutiasm

#147 Nobody

Nobody

• 1,413 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:41

Really excited!!

F YEAH! :up:

#148 gd2

gd2

• 135 posts

Congrats to Perez!!!!

thank god it was not Di Resta!

Why?

#149 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 763 posts

If anything an MC drive would be a step back for the Fin. The Lotus has been great all season any pacing issues have been his own.

Great to see Perez get a new seat, although MC seemed at times in danger of being eclipsed by the Saubers so I hope it is a successful move.

#150 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:42

ahh yes I forgot about Santander...They are a McLaren sponsor of course but I wonder if they were only there because of Lewis and if he goes they go, sort of like Mutua Marildena (speling?) did with Alonso, although they did stay in 08 too. Unwillingly I might add.