Michael Schumacher - Part III

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2736 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:10

Old topic closed due to technical reasons. Keep this thread for Schumi, take Hamilton/Perez/etc discussion elsewhere.

Continue as normal. :)

Advertisement

#2 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:12

I think Michael already has a seat for 2013.

He would not leave himself waiting. He already hinted that there are a lot of teams interested in him.

#3 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:13

Mercedes GP has posted an announcement on FB and is getting absolutely fisted in the comments.

#4 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Perez wasn't experienced enough for Ferrari, maybe that guy is?

#5 bogi

bogi

• 4,105 posts

Feel sorry for the old man, I hope he will end in Williams :drunk:

#6 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Big let-down by Merc? I don't think so. It is more like same old story from them. All 3 years were let-down.

#7 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:14

Perez wasn't experienced enough for Ferrari, maybe that guy is?

Its starting to look like Ferrari might be an option...

#8 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,512 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:14

This is extremely strange.

Team lets him down countless times in his best year since his comeback. He has at least matched Rosberg or even shown to be better than him over the year. And now he seems forced out of the team. What the hell has been going on behind the scenes?

Schumacher pissed off over the incompetence and Merc disappointed Schumacher wasn't able to perform miracles?

#9 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:15

I think Michael already has a seat for 2013.

He would not leave himself waiting. He already hinted that there are a lot of teams interested in him.

You are right something is strange here. He knows Mercedes is try to settle a deal with Hamilton. Why should he wait to announce his retirement so late that he is risking an unofficial announcement through McLaren or Sauber.

#10 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:16

Michael Schumacher
“I have had three nice years with the team which unfortunately did not go as well as we all would have wanted on the sporting side. I wish Lewis well and for the team to achieve the success we worked so hard for in the build-up. I would like to thank the team for their trust and all the guys for their unconditional commitment. I will now concentrate on the next races.”

Ross Brawn, Team Principal - MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS
“On behalf of MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, I would first of all like to thank Michael Schumacher for the important contribution he has made to the growth of our team over the past three seasons. His energy and commitment have never wavered, even when results have not matched our own expectations, and we are determined to finish the 2012 season together on a high. As always, it has been a pleasure to work with Michael.

“Looking ahead to 2013, I am delighted to welcome Lewis Hamilton to our team. The arrival of a driver of Lewis’ calibre is a testament to the standing of Mercedes-Benz in Formula One and I am proud that Lewis shares our vision and ambition for the success of the Silver Arrows. I believe that the combination of Lewis and Nico will be the most dynamic and exciting pairing on the grid next year, and I am looking forward to what we can achieve together.

Norbert Haug, Vice President - Mercedes-Benz Motorsport
“Of course, it takes a great driver to replace such a legendary and successful one as Michael Schumacher. Over the past three years, Michael has been a great driver and an exemplary ambassador for MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS. His experience has been an important factor in guiding the development of our team in Brackley and we extend our sincere thanks to Michael for his loyalty, team play and commitment. We will be working very hard together in order to achieve the best possible results in the remainder of the 2012 season.

http://www.mercedes-...ronas-from-2013

Edited by BackOnTop, 28 September 2012 - 09:18.

#11 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

This will end bad for Mercedes. This is exactly the end they didn't wanted.

#12 CSF

CSF

• 2,808 posts

Mercedes simply had to jump on Hamilton if they are serious about F1. Michael has actually done well this season, but at 43 there is no point in letting a bit named star go for Michael anymore. Personally I think Michael's only option is Sauber, and in a way that could make some sense. Peter wants to retire and needs investment to keep the team going. Michael could bring investment from himself or through sponsors, remember his name still holds weight with sponsors. However personally I think he should get out and go skydiving.

#13 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 783 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:17

From sport.de:

Das Aus bei Mercedes kam für Schumacher dennoch überraschend. Über einen Wechsel zu einem anderen Team hatte der siebenmalige Champion offenbar noch nicht nachgedacht. Auf die Frage, ob sich Schumacher mit einer Fortsetzung seiner Karriere bei einem anderen Rennstall beschäftige, sagte seine Managerin Sabine Kehm am Freitag: "Das ist heute einfach kein Thema."

aka

The departure from Mercedes came for Schumacher still as a surprise. The seven-time world champion had not thought clearly about switching to another team. When asked if Schumacher is interested to continue his career with another racing team, his manager Sabine Kehm said on Friday: "This is now a non-issue."

#14 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:18

Mercedes simply had to jump on Hamilton if they are serious about F1. Michael has actually done well this season, but at 43 there is no point in letting a bit named star go for Michael anymore. Personally I think Michael's only option is Sauber, and in a way that could make some sense. Peter wants to retire and needs investment to keep the team going. Michael could bring investment from himself or through sponsors, remember his name still holds weight with sponsors. However personally I think he should get out and go skydiving.

You're right. It makes way more sense to hire a big name star who costs more to sit in your crapwagons after you sack the best performing driver.

#15 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Schumacher could even cash-buy Sauber directly from his own bank account if he wanted.

#16 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

From sport.de:

Das Aus bei Mercedes kam für Schumacher dennoch überraschend. Über einen Wechsel zu einem anderen Team hatte der siebenmalige Champion offenbar noch nicht nachgedacht. Auf die Frage, ob sich Schumacher mit einer Fortsetzung seiner Karriere bei einem anderen Rennstall beschäftige, sagte seine Managerin Sabine Kehm am Freitag: "Das ist heute einfach kein Thema."

aka

The departure from Mercedes came for Schumacher still as a surprise. The seven-time world champion had not thought clearly about switching to another team. When asked if Schumacher is interested to continue his career with another racing team, his manager Sabine Kehm said on Friday: "This is now a non-issue."

sounds really bad. what happened behind the scenes? There must have been a big blow up

#17 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:19

From sport.de:

aka

I read that before but i didn't quite understand. It is quite vague.

#18 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Ferrari has not spoken about their 2nd driver yet. One year with MSC and getting him back as an ambassador for Ferrari shopuld look interesting. At least it doies not sound as if Michael will take a management role with Mercedes, as they would have anounced this already.

Even Sauber-Ferrari for a year would work and go back to Ferrari as an ambassador after that.

Edited by seahawk, 28 September 2012 - 09:20.

#19 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

adamcooperf1 #F1 Ross Brawn: " I would like to thank Michael Schumacher for the important contribution he has made to the growth of our team"

Advertisement

#20 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:20

I think Mercedes were right to go for Hamilton. But it seems they didn't handle Michael's situation very well and I can't see him wanting to stay as their ambassador... Please race for another year Michael, Sauber wants you and I'm sure if you wanted to Ferrari will take you back for a year! I thought it was a mistake to end his association with Ferrari for Mercedes, despite being pleased he was coming back.

Either way, he'd go to the team he was meant to go to 20 years ago, or the team which delivered the majority of his success.

#21 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:20

Mercedes were absolutely correct in going after Lewis..

#22 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:21

Formula 1 is cruel.

#23 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:21

Formula 1 is cruel.

All business is cruel :)

#24 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:23

All business is cruel :)

One side of it is supposed to be sport.

#25 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 583 posts

Its starting to look like Ferrari might be an option...

And play second fiddle for Alonso?

#26 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,679 posts

Michael Schumacher
“I have had three nice years with the team which unfortunately did not go as well as we all would have wanted on the sporting side. I wish Lewis well and for the team to achieve the success we worked so hard for in the build-up. I would like to thank the team for their trust and all the guys for their unconditional commitment. I will now concentrate on the next races.”

Ross Brawn, Team Principal - MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS
“On behalf of MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, I would first of all like to thank Michael Schumacher for the important contribution he has made to the growth of our team over the past three seasons. His energy and commitment have never wavered, even when results have not matched our own expectations, and we are determined to finish the 2012 season together on a high. As always, it has been a pleasure to work with Michael.

“Looking ahead to 2013, I am delighted to welcome Lewis Hamilton to our team. The arrival of a driver of Lewis’ calibre is a testament to the standing of Mercedes-Benz in Formula One and I am proud that Lewis shares our vision and ambition for the success of the Silver Arrows. I believe that the combination of Lewis and Nico will be the most dynamic and exciting pairing on the grid next year, and I am looking forward to what we can achieve together.

Norbert Haug, Vice President - Mercedes-Benz Motorsport
“Of course, it takes a great driver to replace such a legendary and successful one as Michael Schumacher. Over the past three years, Michael has been a great driver and an exemplary ambassador for MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS. His experience has been an important factor in guiding the development of our team in Brackley and we extend our sincere thanks to Michael for his loyalty, team play and commitment. We will be working very hard together in order to achieve the best possible results in the remainder of the 2012 season.

http://www.mercedes-...ronas-from-2013

So it seems he will not stay in the team in any role.

#27 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Mercedes were absolutely correct in going after Lewis..

Is Lewis correct in going after Merc is left to be seen. :lol:

#28 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:24

Why with the Sauber?

Guy running Force India, however you spell his name V... M..., is pretty stuffed financially. Force India is in a relationship with Mercedes already. Surely they pull strings and get him sitting there in 2013. Schumacher may even buy part of the team to give the current owner some cash, which he rather needs.

#29 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Ah well, that's looking like the end of Schumi's comeback... Suppose you can be happy he at least got a podium :)

#30 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,342 posts

Ivan

oh I think he's done a JV - gone for the money, but I was talking about Mercedes

and if they do get their sh!t together - we can say it was all MSC development ;);)

Edited by Raelene, 28 September 2012 - 09:26.

#31 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

From sport.de:

aka

The departure from Mercedes came for Schumacher still as a surprise. The seven-time world champion had not thought clearly about switching to another team. When asked if Schumacher is interested to continue his career with another racing team, his manager Sabine Kehm said on Friday: "This is no issue today."

Corrected the translation.

#32 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:25

This will end bad for Mercedes. This is exactly the end they didn't wanted.

:rotfl:

They tried with Schumacher and it just didn't work. Fact is it's not a great plan to build a team around a 43 years old driver, Mercedes have to look forward and plan for the future.

The only thing I find odd at this point is that Schumacher hasn't announced his retirement beforehand, which might indicate he may still want to drive somewhere.

If the plan was to retire, it would have been much smoother to announce it, and then Hamilton would fill the empty seat.. would have been much smoother that way.

#33 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,719 posts

Of course they had to think about the future. And getting Lewis was opportunity that couldn't be missed (if it will work out is a different discussion).

But how they handled Michael is beyond words. At least i'm happy that they are getting crucified in the social media.

#34 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Ah well, that's looking like the end of Schumi's comeback... Suppose you can be happy he at least got a podium :)

Yeah - I wonder; how will his comeback be remembered?

#35 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Seems like Mercedes and Schumacher has ended badly. Not that am suprised.

#36 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:26

Shades of 2006 then.

#37 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:26

Some things are contradicting... as usual.

Bernie apparently leaked the Hamilton to Mercedes story via Eddie Jordan. he also leaked Schumacher's retiring story... but now Schumacher's management is saying that his departure from Mercedes is a surprise? So how could he have planned retirement.

I don't think until we see headline confirmation of anything can we be sure.

#38 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:27

I would not be surprised if we see Michael next year involved in F1 in an FiA role

#39 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:27

His PR lady and now manager was seen in Singapore talking to Peter Sauber?
Was that about their shared love for cigars?

Advertisement

#40 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:28

His PR lady and now manager was seen in Singapore talking to Peter Sauber?
Was that about their shared love for cigars?

Isn't Peter Sauber out after this season or did I imagine that?

#41 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:30

I hope Michael continues to be associated with Mercedes, just like Berger was associated with BMW then Red Bull. Build the team up into a WDC/WCC winning machine.

#42 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

:rotfl:

I mean some people can decide to buy BMW or Audi instead of Mercedes.

#43 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,919 posts

Right, it's beginning to look to me like this whole thing has been triggered by McLaren deciding of their own volition to sign Perez, Hamilton activating his Merc offer as a result, and Schumacher being pushed out very hurriedly if it really is the case that Schumi saw none of this coming.

#44 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:31

If Schumacher intends to retire he would have held a press conference before today, even if it was just to save face and not look like he was forced out by Hamilton.

It doesn't make much sense for him to leave it hanging like this if he isn't at least looking at other options for next year.

#45 Sof1

Sof1

• 652 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:32

If Schumacher intends to retire he would have held a press conference before today, even if it was just to save face and not look like he was forced out by Hamilton.

It doesn't make much sense for him to leave it hanging like this if he isn't at least looking at other options for next year.

:up:

Completely agree.

#46 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

is Schumacher really that unwanted?

-2006 ejected by Ferrari, Luca says: we will always have a seat for Michael. Now Ferrari show no sign of wanting him back.
-2012 ejected by Mercedes to make place for Hamilton.

#47 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

I hope Michael continues to be associated with Mercedes, just like Berger was associated with BMW then Red Bull. Build the team up into a WDC/WCC winning machine.

The PR quotes don't really sound like he's going to stay at Merc.

#48 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,141 posts

I wonder if the reason things are such a mess is because Schumacher was again rushed out of the way. Instead of being left to make up his own mind about retirement, maybe he's decided he's tired of being forced out of F1 and has recently decided to try and get another ride. It would explain why his management seem surprised...

#49 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:33

is Schumacher really that unwanted?

-2006 ejected by Ferrari, Luca says: we will always have a seat for Michael. Now Ferrari show no sign of wanting him back.
-2012 ejected by Mercedes to make place for Hamilton.

Like Alonso in McLaren and Kimi in Ferrari? I guess not.

#50 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,649 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:33

Right, it's beginning to look to me like this whole thing has been triggered by McLaren deciding of their own volition to sign Perez, Hamilton activating his Merc offer as a result, and Schumacher being pushed out very hurriedly if it really is the case that Schumi saw none of this coming.

Possible. They were very quick to say Perez was signed, so it's no surprise to them. Can't blame them either really.

Perhaps they saw what Nicole has been up to, and thought better Perez than a 2011 Hamilton again.