Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:01

Yeah, and soon a kid with 3 WDCs. And one Michael approves of. :D

Advertisement

#952 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:04

Yeah, and soon a kid with 3 WDCs. And one Michael approves of. :D

As much as I dislike Senna, his attitude towards racing and racers was spot on and I'm sure he'd be rather irritated with Vettel's "antics".

#953 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:24

Hulkenberg to Sauber:/ WHY WHY

#954 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:31

As much as I dislike Senna, his attitude towards racing and racers was spot on and I'm sure he'd be rather irritated with Vettel's "antics".

Spot on?
Senna?
The guy who cam out admitting he had hallucinations on the race track (I saw myself driving, He appeared in front of me in Suzuka, etc, etc)? He who thought he could not be harmed because it was him, had the "right attitude" towards racing and racers?

Schumacher is often criticized for his three brain fades during his career, yet Senna is revered as doing "the right thing" for doing what Michael did, only worst because, unlike Schumacher who took the decisions on a split second, Senna actually planned them and even announced them before sitting on the car...

#955 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,153 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:33

Which is why to me Alonso has replaced Senna, as Vettel has replaced Schumacher.

History might show this as well - with Alonso hopefully going on to win a third WDC, but Vettel possibly going on to be the driver who can equal Michael in terms of WDCs and possibly even wins. His age is his asset, while Michael's age has been his downfall at this point. Car and team are behind Seb like Byrne's cars and Ferrari were totally behind Michael. The only mistake Seb could make would be changing the team (as long as Newey does not change with him).

That's why I brought up "Vettel has replaced Michael", both being Germans as well. And Senna/Alonso being Portuguese/Hispanic culture.

Another young German "replacing Michael" - or is the Hulk going to be another Ralf Schumacher?  ;)

#956 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:49

Vettel is not an all-rounder like Alonso & Schumacher, he's a crybaby unlike, to an extent, Alonso & Schumacher, he's unable to deliver victories with a dire car etc. etc. He goes after fastest lap after fastest lap knowing there are issues with the Renault in RB, he changes helmet after every race and he still persists with the finger. He is still a kid.

LOL!! Vettel will very likely make you have to grudgingly eat those words.

Vettel IS an all-rounder. Look more carefully and FAIRLY.... you'll see.

Alonso is like Senna... quite the talker. Add on-track prowess to the romantic talk about the team etc., and it makes for quite the potent combination that brings on fierce loyalty.

Vettel is young, there's no denying that. His youth will shine through here and there. However, his excellence at the wheel is there to see for those who wish to see it. However, some will find ways to deny this. There's always a way to do so after reading this forum.

#957 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:52

Another young German "replacing Michael" - or is the Hulk going to be another Ralf Schumacher? ;)

In terms of dominating the sport, it does seem like a young German has taken the place of Michael. :)

Being exposed mainly to British press and English speaking media, I can't say that I'm not happy to see this. It's a form of justice really.

#958 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 15:54

Top post, balanced, you sound like a professional?

No.... not professional. In the end, I think all the drivers deserve to be respected at a basic level. That's all ask of others where I'm concerned.

#959 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:06

Where did you get this one from?

Advertisement

#960 DutchCruijff

DutchCruijff

• 933 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:15

LOL!! Vettel will very likely make you have to grudgingly eat those words.

I'm sure he will as I'm only talking in the present tense.

#961 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,153 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 16:54

Where did you get this one from?

Not official yet, but purported all over the internet.

AMuS

James Allen

Guttierez as possible #2 - the cryptic utterings of Kaltenborn on Kobayashi's performance in Suzuka have only added to make several reporters believe in this solution, including Michael Schmid (AMuS).

Although I have ambivalent feelings about MSC, as you all know, it's a real shame that they have not secured Michael for next year.

Schumacher/Kobayashi would have been quite a team!

Edited by aditya-now, 08 October 2012 - 17:07.

#962 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 737 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 17:09

I predicted a few months ago that Micheal would hang them up at the end of this year. I was hoping that he would make me wrong and catch on with a competitive team, but it doesn't look likely now. Nothing lasts forever, all things must end someday. He's made the last three years worth watching even though the results were unattainable with the Mercedes package.

#963 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 23:11

I predicted a few months ago that Micheal would hang them up at the end of this year. I was hoping that he would make me wrong and catch on with a competitive team, but it doesn't look likely now. Nothing lasts forever, all things must end someday. He's made the last three years worth watching even though the results were unattainable with the Mercedes package.

And also that he'd sign for Ferrari....... :drunk:

Feel very relieved for Michael for escaping that nightmare at MGP. Now on to Ferrari, or final retirement.

#964 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:46

I'd love to see Schuey driving an F1 car in 2013.

I think his 2012 is way better than his 2010.

Either he's done very well...OR...Rosberg's totally gone off the boil for some reason.

OR ... Perhaps Ross Brawn recons that Nico's only so good and and has limited capacity and potential, so, he needs a genuine Ace in the car in terms of pure speed.

Perhaps Hamilton isn't the very best driver to build a team around...but i cant think of another driver who is plain faster at the moment.

I suspect Vettel is the Number 1 target for any team, including Ferrari and Mercedes...but Vettel is happy as long as Newey is designing his cars.

But to complete my early thought, i'd love to see Shumi in an F1 car in 2013.

How about Williams?

#965 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:39

I have no idea what Michael will do next, and he really doesn't owe us any explanation in that regard, but I think worst thing what he could do is probably to start testing for Pirelli. It might be fun for him, it might be good for F1, but some "special" media would have field-day over it how his career ended, instead driving in 2013 with Mercedes. Circumstances surrounding his announcement that he is retiring from active racing do suggest strained relationship with his team, but it doesn't precludes that he might end up working in some capacity at AMG division, evaluating high performance cars, something he really likes. It may not be day-job as full employee, but still quite important and interesting. He has touched on that interest several years ago, and Ross was talking about it a few weeks ago in similar terms. One thing is certain, which is, he doesn’t has to work, if he won't like it.

Edited by Sakae, 09 October 2012 - 06:19.

#966 fbx

fbx

• 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:02

He will be 45 years old and even worse than he was this time around. Guys do not come back to modern F1 at 45 years old. He was great in his day but recognises his time is past and is retiring while he still can with some dignity. Maybe some of you need to go to therapy to learn to live with a post Schumacher life, the smart ones will just enjoy his last few races then say goodbye.

This seems to me way overstated. Granted, he may have lost some of the Killer Schumacher of his first iteration, but the looney "guys do not come back to modern F1 at 45" is just bellicose nonsense. If MSC had a decent car & team this year or last he would have had some wins and plenty of podiums. Even in a fast 2nd tier team like Sauber I'd bet money on him today. That's why I don't really understand what happened behind the scenes. Peter Sauber said he'd certainly put MSC in the car. From Michael's POV, where's the downside? THe car is clearly close in speed, tires, etc to Ferrari and sometimes McL and RB. It's an invitation to success after dragging the Merc around for 3 years.

What went wrong? Maybe what MSC said is just true. He doesn't want it anymore. Like everyone else I wish he'd change his mind and take up with Sauber tomorrow. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely. Very unlikely.

#967 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:21

I have no idea what Michael will do next, and he really doesn't owe us any explanation in that regard, but I think worst thing what he could do is probably to start testing for Pirelli. It might be fun for him, it might be good for F1, but some "special" media would have field-day over it how his career ended, instead driving in 2013 with Mercedes. Circumstances surrounding his announcement that he is retiring from active racing do suggest strained relationship with his team, but it doesn't precludes that he might end up working in some capacity at AMG division, evaluating high performance cars, something he really likes. It may not be day-job as full employee, but still quite important and interesting. He has touched on that interest several years ago, and Ross was talking about it a few weeks ago in similar terms. One thing is certain, which is, that he doesn’t has to work, if he won't like it.

I personally think Michael should always stay associated with F1. Him not being present around the paddock will be F1's loss.

I would love for a "Team Schumacher" on the grid. If there is one thing F1 drivers need to rectify, it is their reputation (or lack of) for running an F1 team successfully in the past 2 decades. Prost and Stewart were both bad in the 90s, I think Michael has what it takes to make a great team boss : A great racing brain, tremendous racing experience, and an ability to rally people around him towards a goal. Not to mention tremendous brand value which will help with sponsorships for a new team.

#968 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:42

I have only fuzzy recollection about seeing a post in which author claimed that Michael has no desire to run a team. I cannot fanthom where to beggin search for it. I would not mind him buying into Sauber, and as a co-owner run operations, while Kaltenborn running the administrative office. Michael has learned a lot of J. Todt, and it could be good background for him to grow on. But, this idea is more of a day dreaming than reality.

#969 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,153 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:30

I have only fuzzy recollection about seeing a post in which author claimed that Michael has no desire to run a team. I cannot fanthom where to beggin search for it. I would not mind him buying into Sauber, and as a co-owner run operations, while Kaltenborn running the administrative office. Michael has learned a lot of J. Todt, and it could be good background for him to grow on. But, this idea is more of a day dreaming than reality.

If anything some function in some form for FIA might be on the table - remember the Todt-Schumacher connection and that Jean has always cared like a father for Michael.

To become team boss is utterly risky - Michael will be warned by Prost's exploits in this field. Why should he give himself that pain?

#970 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:36

If anything some function in some form for FIA might be on the table - remember the Todt-Schumacher connection and that Jean has always cared like a father for Michael.

To become team boss is utterly risky - Michael will be warned by Prost's exploits in this field. Why should he give himself that pain?

I wrote a post about this potential job after the announcement. Apparently they remain friends those two, and it was Jean who said that he knew several days in advance what will be the topic of press conference in Japan; remarkable contrast to what message Michael send to Norbert and Ross, giving them merely five minutes warning.

#971 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 1,578 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:37

Perhaps he can be the permanent racing steward. This would stop a whole lot of penalties and whining from today's drivers.

#972 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:51

Perhaps he can be the permanent racing steward. This would stop a whole lot of penalties and whining from today's drivers.

IMO FiA has some well qualified people, but perhaps analytical process of their work supported by improved data collection, validation and processing requires to be taken couple of notches up, including computerized rapid search against normative references and relevant precedences. Michael is a contraversial figure to run a such contraversial post under system that exists.

#973 MSCDesign

MSCDesign

• 112 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:41

Schumacher had talks with Sauber and Ferrari reveals Lauda

Michael was pushed out. Sad really. 2006 repeats, just proves how F1 is a ruthless business.

#974 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 17:47

Michael was pushed out. Sad really. 2006 repeats, just proves how F1 is a ruthless business.

For the mercy of God, is there such time when this man keeps his mouth in OFF position?

#975 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:00

Depends how you look at it. I would say he would have been pushed out, if he took his option, and Mercedes was going to pay his contract to force him to leave. Problem is, that did not happend.

What was Mercedes suppose to do? The BoD wanted to see a business plan before they will sign CA, and there had to be contingencies within to mitigate risk that Michael might retire, which was strong possibility. With Hamilton, they have a driver for next three years, and Michael really couldn't committ for the same term. Public has not idea why he really dropped his option in the first place. There were written speculations about it, but we do not have to rehash it again.

Edited by Sakae, 09 October 2012 - 18:01.

#976 my_own_shadow

my_own_shadow

• 214 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:32

For the mercy of God, is there such time when this man keeps his mouth in OFF position?

Do you mean Lauda? I think it isn't bad that he allows to know what was behind the scenes. So we know that at the time between 28/09 and 04/10 Michael had two talks with Ferrari (Luca di Montezemolo?) and Sauber (Peter Sauber?). I have a feeling that with Ferrari he wanted to assure that Felipe stays in a team for the next year with a possibility to replace him in 2014 and then race for Ferrari until the end. While Sauber was the most obvoius option for 2013, as it was especially important for Michael to keep himself in competetive shape if he wanted to continue racing at the highest level. But then Michael faced with too many questions: would he be competitive in regard to young Sauber drivers, would Sauber have enough funds not to produce another 'Mercedes-develpoed' mediocre car, wouldn't it look like he forced Felipe to retire, would after all he have a will and desire to race, etc, etc... And at the same time Berger (who welcomed Michael's decision for come back in 2009) says that Michael should retire... Honestly, that would be too much for almost anyone in the position of Michael. But it still means the same: Michael indeed was forced to retire.

#977 my_own_shadow

my_own_shadow

• 214 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 18:55

... and there had to be contingencies within to mitigate risk that Michael might retire, which was strong possibility. With Hamilton, they have a driver for next three years, and Michael really couldn't committ for the same term.

Honestly, I think that if Michael signed a contract he wouldn't retire before its termination. But Michael himself wasn't sure if he would be at the highest level after more than one season. And all these doubts worked like a vicious circle. F1 is a big game, but psychological factor also plays a role. It is a bit like all those Grosjean start accidents, when almost everybody says that he can't avoid start collisions, he indeed can't avoid them. Same is with Michael, when Mercedes doesn't trust him, he starts to question himself too. Thus the doubts, questions, more doubts. And finally the decision to quit out of the game, as it all has became too difficult.

#978 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:02

I don't think Michael is motivated to drive for a team that doesn't have a chance of winning more than a one-off Grand Prix.

That leaves - in 2013 - only RBR, McLaren, Ferrari and possibly Mercedes and Lotus to drive for.

But the other side of the equation is that the very top teams don't think Michael is consistently sharp and consistently fast enough to have one of their seats.

O sure, Michael most likely could do no worse than Felipe' or Grosjean. But I doubt he relishes the idea of going up against the likes of Alonso or Raikkonen or Vettel or Hamilton at the age of 45.

No matter what anyone says, something gets lost when you're 45 competing against guys 25, 28, 31, 32 years of age. Guys in their prime.

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 09 October 2012 - 19:03.

#979 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:07

Do you mean Lauda? I think it isn't bad that he allows to know what was behind the scenes. So we know that at the time between 28/09 and 04/10 Michael had two talks with Ferrari (Luca di Montezemolo?) and Sauber (Peter Sauber?). I have a feeling that with Ferrari he wanted to assure that Felipe stays in a team for the next year with a possibility to replace him in 2014 and then race for Ferrari until the end. While Sauber was the most obvoius option for 2013, as it was especially important for Michael to keep himself in competetive shape if he wanted to continue racing at the highest level. But then Michael faced with too many questions: would he be competitive in regard to young Sauber drivers, would Sauber have enough funds not to produce another 'Mercedes-develpoed' mediocre car, wouldn't it look like he forced Felipe to retire, would after all he have a will and desire to race, etc, etc... And at the same time Berger (who welcomed Michael's decision for come back in 2009) says that Michael should retire... Honestly, that would be too much for almost anyone in the position of Michael. But it still means the same: Michael indeed was forced to retire.

Mr. Lauda, as revealed recently, was an intermediary during CA negotiations, only to be elevated to NED at a section of Mercedes-Benz. I would think his is a position of discretion, yet he seems always speaks in details which reveal and hide in fog, while potentially embarrasing, if not clarified. I am not sure if this is all by design, however his behaviour raises more than just a lonely eyebrow.

Edited by Sakae, 09 October 2012 - 19:19.

Advertisement

#980 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:13

Lauda is known to speak before getting his brain out of 1st gear.

Hehe.

#981 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 546 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:16

Give him Bernie's job.

#982 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:18

... But it still means the same: Michael indeed was forced to retire.

Well, this is what some posters and media do say, but one has to place it against Haug's statement in which he said, that had Michael has taken his option for 2013 in timely manner, he (Haug) would not have problem whatsoever with that decision. That doesn't sounds like forced retirement to me. When Mercedes, being more or less pushed into looking elsewhere ultimately gave nod to another driver, Michael lost his drive, that's undisputed. You can put any label you want on it.

Edited by Sakae, 09 October 2012 - 19:19.

#983 schubacca

schubacca

• 799 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:19

I am tired of all of this talk.

The Man is retired.

I wish he wasn't, but he is.

Mercedes is a joke. And hiring Lauda further adds to my belief.

Those clowns can say whatever it is that they want to say: The car is crap, and teams running their engines regularly get the better of the factory team.

Lots of journos want to write MS's last 3 years as waste. I just saw a car that was not very good. I saw MS make mistakes, but nothing that KR, or a slew of other drivers, did not make.

#984 schubacca

schubacca

• 799 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:24

Well, this is what some posters and media do say, but one has to place it against Haug's statement in which he said, that had Michael has taken his option for 2013 in timely manner, he (Haug) would not have problem whatsoever with that decision. That doesn't sounds like forced retirement to me. When Mercedes, being more or less pushed into looking elsewhere ultimately gave nod to another driver, Michael lost his drive, that's undisputed. You can put any label you want on it.

I noticed that Brawn did not say that MS making up his mind earlier would have guaranteed a drive at Merc. He merely stated that there would have been a possibility of sorting out a contract. My personal guess is that, once Hamilton was in play, Mercedes would have gone for him regardless of MS's stance.

At this point I am caring less and less with each passing day.

The ideal scenario for MS is that:

-Mercedes continues to be utter crap

-NR drives just as well as LH for a couple of years

-Mercedes sell the team in a couple of years, and revert to making engines

All of those things are plausible at this time.....

#985 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 19:59

I noticed that Brawn did not say that MS making up his mind earlier would have guaranteed a drive at Merc.

Had Michael pick up his option, Mercedes would have to buy out his (expensive) contract, or trade it for something Michael wanted, had they decided to go for different direction. Lets be clear about that. I do agree however with you about that this topic is getting old and stale.

#986 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 20:11

Lauda is jealous old man. 7>3.

#987 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,547 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:39

Lauda is jealous old man. 7>3.

Can you please point me to the reasons that have lead you to believe that Lauda is a jealous old man because I cant find them.

#988 sharo

sharo

• 1,791 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 23:25

Apply some thinking.

#989 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 00:23

It does not matter whether he was forced to retire or not, especially if he is tired of racing in the midpack. F1 is cruel, always was, always will. The fact that at 43 years old he's been rubbing shoulders with the world's best racers speaks volumes. Yes it's unfortunate that his 2nd stint did not work out but hey the 1st one worked out very well and no one can take that away from the Master! I just hope we'll get some more memorable moments from him in the remaining races.

Edited by exmayol, 10 October 2012 - 00:24.

#990 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:35

Danner was one of the Michael's critics during his second career, and now this from him:

SPEED

Danner Tells Lauda To Fire Mercedes Staff: A German F1 pundit has advised Niki Lauda to take an axe to Mercedes' current personnel lineup. Lauda, the great Austrian triple World Champion, has been signed on as Mercedes' non-executive chairman — effectively a decision-making link between the German marque's Stuttgart headquarters and the racing team in the UK. So far, he has negotiated Mercedes' new Concorde Agreement deal and lured Lewis Hamilton onto the team for 2013. RTL commentator Christian Danner, a former driver, now wants Lauda to sack staff. "The people who built this car should really all be fired," he told Bild newspaper. It can't be that you drive all around the world for nine months only to find that your car is as fast as a Toro Rosso." Danner said it is now up to Lauda to put things right. "He is responsible to make the next decisions. And those decisions will primarily be about the personnel."

http://formula-one.s...news-briefs152/

#991 OSX

OSX

• 4,260 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:19

According to the rumours Michael is on his way to DTM. Anyone here know if there's any truth to these claims? The Michael of old said he'd never do it but perhaps he now sees it as a way to keep the racing urges in check and perhaps even as a welcome new challenge.

#992 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:19

Lauda + MSC was impossible. They do not like each other. If MSC (and that is a huge if) should drive DTM, I hope he signs for Audi or BMW. Audi could also over a Le Mans drive, so that would be interesting.

Edited by seahawk, 10 October 2012 - 06:19.

#993 MCh000

MCh000

• 181 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:28

If Sauber were willing to get Schumacher, why on earth he would go to DTM? Driving in DTM at the front is better than driving for the F1 team near home that can build a podium capable car?

#994 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:46

We don't know what happen with Sauber, there is conflicting reports. If he really contacted them ,something happen I guess and they didn't reach agreement. I don't know why, Telmex is staying so they have money.
With this Lauda comments he want to cut MS connection with Mercedes, it is clear.

Edited by ivand911, 10 October 2012 - 07:47.

#995 rallye3

rallye3

• 68 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:01

Yet more opinion from Lauda.
http://www.inautonew...da#.UHU4xO20K-8

Not true, you don't get pole at Monaco without a few risks.

#996 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,561 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:25

Well the d-bag has to justify his new position and the end of the relationship.

But besides that i won't understand why he has to talk about the subject every single day. His rent-a-quote position at RTL wasn't enough? Now he has to do it for Merc too?

He said he heard that Michael talked to Sauber/Ferrari (i.e. he was gossiping). Now he says he took fewer risk because of age. Actually Michael took more risks just to be able to get that slow, unreliable POS to a better position and get some results. And he paid for it (Senna and Perez last year would were good examples).

Edited by Diablobb81, 10 October 2012 - 09:28.

#997 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,817 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:36

I can't see Schumacher going to DTM.

He said he is still capable to race with the best drivers (ie F1), he had options with other teams... why would he snub say Sauber for DTM? Doesn't make sense. He's never liked closed wheel cars either. He doesn't need the money, he doesn't need the exposure.

#998 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,182 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:50

Lauda + MSC was impossible. They do not like each other. If MSC (and that is a huge if) should drive DTM, I hope he signs for Audi or BMW. Audi could also over a Le Mans drive, so that would be interesting.

Schumacher and Lauda have no emnity between each other. They worked together at Ferrari during the mid 1990's when Ladua was some sort of consultant there (and then Jaguar and now Mercedes....see a pattern? :lol:), they helped develop the Ferrari 550 Maranello together and have done numerous interviews together.

It could be that Schumacher recognised Lauda would have been difficult to work with based on previous encounters or realised that his 3 years together with Mercedes didn't yield anything special and there was nothing in place to suggest it would have done for 2013 either. And frankly, at age 43/44 how much energy can one have; he has to probably train harder, sleep earlier than before, have more stress than before etc etc etc.

I think he wanted to continue, but his enthusiasm, commitment and health began to overlap and he made a wise decision.

I personally think Lauda will be toxic for Mercedes and he'll be a morale sucker more than anything. Just the culture clash alone in my opinion will lead to some big fall outs - AIMHO.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 10 October 2012 - 09:55.

#999 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:01

Yet more opinion from Lauda.
http://www.inautonew...da#.UHU4xO20K-8

Not true, you don't get pole at Monaco without a few risks.

Unbeliveable.

Advertisement

#1000 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 642 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:12

Hamilton is not expecting much of Mercedes in 2013, so it's likely Schumacher knew what expectations were to be had for that year and why a two-year contract would've been a must to match his ambitions.

Other than that, I've never felt Lauda had a problem with Schumacher from watching him on RTL, but these comments are bizarre.